PDA

View Full Version : Turiaf may start this season!

LakeShow
10-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Looks like Phil is going big. That would be a very good lineup and bring walton in off the bench is a good idea. What do you think lakers fans?

Turiaf may start this season
Associated Press

HONOLULU -- Kobe Bryant and Luke Walton sat out the Lakers' morning workout Saturday as they recovered from minor injuries.

Bryant rested a sore right knee, while Walton has a strained right hamstring. Coach Phil Jackson said he expected Bryant to participate in the evening practice, but Walton, Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown would not.

"Some of it's preventative, some of it's the two-a-days and the attrition from it," Jackson said.

Walton said he felt a "tug" while running during practice Friday. He expects to return to workouts as early as Monday.

"It's just one of those things where it's only going to be a couple days, but you just can't rush it because it could turn into something a lot worse," he said.

Two years ago in Honolulu, Walton strained his left hamstring late in the fourth quarter of the Lakers' preseason game against the Golden State Warriors and missed a few weeks of the regular season.

Jackson said he was "seriously considering" starting Ronny Turiaf because of his high energy and shot-blocking ability.

"He's somebody who really makes our defense and our offense really sparkle with energy," he said.

That could move Walton to the bench and Odom to small forward. Jackson said the response Saturday by some players was mixed.

"It seems OK. It's neither good nor bad," said Jackson, adding that "compliance is what I'm looking for."

Walton said he just wants to help the team.

"I have an interesting role on the team," he said. "For me, it's not about scoring a certain amount of points or assists, it's doing whatever is needed to help this team win."

The 6-foot-8 Walton averaged career highs of 11.4 points, five rebounds and 4.3 assists in 60 games last season, all starts. He played 33 minutes a game, led the team in scoring twice, five times in rebounds and 18 times in assists.

The Lakers face the Warriors in preseason games on Tuesday and Thursday.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

stretch
10-09-2007, 02:12 PM
:td

JMarkJohns
10-09-2007, 02:29 PM
PG: Fisher... Farmar
SG: Kobe... Evans
SF: Odom... Walton
PF: Turiaf... (Odom), Brown
C: Brown... Bynum, Mihm

It's not great, but it's not shabby. I like Turiaf off the bench, however. His hustle provides a much-needed spark and Walton's smarts are needed starting.

Guess we'll have to see.

LakeShow
10-09-2007, 02:44 PM
PG: Fisher... Farmar
SG: Kobe... Evans
SF: Odom... Walton
PF: Turiaf... (Odom), Brown
C: Brown... Bynum, Mihm

It's not great, but it's not shabby. I like Turiaf off the bench, however. His hustle provides a much-needed spark and Walton's smarts are needed starting.

Guess we'll have to see.

Phil wants the energy from the start of games. With Fisher starting the energy should be great. I guess the thinking is with fisher helping to distribute the ball that walton would be better off the bench. The Lakers appear to be commited to defense this season. Odom at the 3 would be a nightmare for teams to defend.

Medvedenko
10-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I like Odom playing the 3...they basically want Kobe initiating the offense more and have Odom look for his shot in respect to the shift to SF. Hopefully it works...I guess we'll wait and see. I like Walton playing off the bench as it will bolster their offensive execution.

Bynum
Turiaf
Odom
Kobe
Fisher

Bench:
Farmar/Critt
Mo Evans/Sasha/Coby Karl
Walton/Radman (who is healthy unlike last year...should be a guy to watch out for)
Cook
Kwame/Mihm

LakeShow
10-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I like Odom playing the 3...they basically want Kobe initiating the offense more and have Odom look for his shot in respect to the shift to SF. Hopefully it works...I guess we'll wait and see. I like Walton playing off the bench as it will bolster their offensive execution.

Bynum
Turiaf
Odom
Kobe
Fisher

Bench:
Farmar/Critt
Mo Evans/Sasha/Coby Karl
Walton/Radman (who is healthy unlike last year...should be a guy to watch out for)
Cook
Kwame/Mihm

With Fisher you know that he'll d-up on players and Phil wants that shotblocking ability to help shore up the D in the middle. We will have to wait and see but I like it.

btw, They say Critt is pushing Farmar hard for the backup PG positions. Phil really likes him and he's big.

JamStone
10-09-2007, 03:56 PM
"He's somebody who really makes our defense and our offense really sparkle with energy????"

He sounds like a gay interior decorator.

CavsSuperFan
10-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Starting Ronnie Turiaf is a gutsy move...If Ronnie is not on the sidelines dancing, cheering & waving his towel....Lakers fans will not know when something good just happened...

TonyParkerSux
10-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I like the move. Walton off the bench will be a nice spark later in the game. playing Odom at the 3 will compensate for Walton's ball movement ability.

Bruno
10-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Lakers are one of the deepest team in the league. As a Ronny fan, I will be happy to see him start because it will allow him to get consistent playtime.