PDA

View Full Version : Going to Luis Scola's first NBA game tonight...

Darkwaters
10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
The Hornets and Rockets will play their first preseason game tonight in Oklahoma City...and I'll be there! This will be Scola's first action in the NBA (albeit, preseason) and could prove to a good litmus test of what he will accomplish this season. I'll make sure to bring back a good report!

timvp
10-09-2007, 03:35 PM
I'll predict his stats:

12 points, 6 rebounds and 1 Spurs forum melting down about the trade.

Spurminator
10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm going to Ian Mahinmi's. :fro

T Park
10-09-2007, 03:39 PM
The Hornets just can't yank off the band aid that is OKC can they.

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Scola with 5 TO and 7 points. 4 rebounds and some horrible defense that will be masked by the fact that this is the preseason.

Indazone
10-09-2007, 04:59 PM
whoooo hoooo Scola Thread!!!

smrattler
10-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Yup, whatever he does tonight is what you can expect the whole season.

Makes sense to me.

Indazone
10-09-2007, 05:15 PM
whoooo hoooo Scola Thread!!!

Special post just for you Chumpdumper lol

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks. From the minute distribution, it looks like Scola might be playing center tonight.

Mike Harris is a Chuck Hayes clone. Funny that Houston has both these hosses.

FromWayDowntown
10-09-2007, 09:38 PM
8 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 fouls, 5 turnovers in a shade over 23 minutes.

whottt
10-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Ian:

5 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 foul, 2 turnovers in a shade over 16 minutes.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Wouldn't Bonner's line be more apropos?

timvp
10-09-2007, 09:52 PM
For the sake of this forum's sanity, I hope that Scola is a bust. If he does anything, this is going to turn into ScolaTalk.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 09:54 PM
What do you mean, "going to"?

E20
10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
It's a preseason game. Scola showed some good signs, but he seems foul prone and TO prone, let's see how he plays with a couple of weeks into the season, before analyzing his output in the NBA.

E20
10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
What do you mean, "going to"?
He means that this forum will be talking about Scola if he is not a bust.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Can't really say anything after one game, except Darkwaters can tell us how he was being used.

whottt
Wouldn't Bonner's line be more apropos?

Not really...Bonner obviously has more NBA experience.

I like the Ian comparison because it was his first NBA game as well.

ChumpDumper
He means that this forum will be talking about Scola if he is not a bust.What do you mean, "will be"?

nkdlunch
10-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Scola will not be a bust but he will also not be an allstar, ever. Anyone who expects either of the extremes is just plain silly.

E20
What do you mean, "will be"?
By "will be" I mean in the act of willing to be able to talk about Scola rather the Spurs and the logo should be changed to ScolaTalk.

:lol

ChumpDumper
Not really...Bonner obviously has more NBA experience.

I like the Ian comparison because it was his first NBA game as well.Fair enough, I was just thinking more about projected roles.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
By "will be" I mean in the act of willing to be able to talk about Scola rather the Spurs and the logo should be changed to ScolaTalk.True, they have been downright shy about him up til now.

Solid D
10-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Will we need a password for the Scola Forum?

duncan228
10-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Will we need a password for the Scola Forum?

Yes, please.
Then we can choose to stay out of it!

SequSpur
10-09-2007, 10:53 PM
dude, Scola is a good player. the spurs just screwed that all up.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 10:55 PM

Scola sucks.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1079184&postcount=53

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Scola with 5 TO and 7 points. 4 rebounds and some horrible defense that will be masked by the fact that this is the preseason.

8 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 fouls, 5 turnovers in a shade over 23 minutes.

FWD - do I know my overrated Euro forwards or do I know my overrated Euro forwards?

RC's Boss
10-09-2007, 11:18 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1079184&postcount=53
:lmao

Indazone
10-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Scola in first outing

8 points 7 rebounds 3 assists in 23 minutes of play

http://www.nba.com/games/20071009/HOUNOH/boxscore.html

:danceclub

SpursIndonesia
10-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Pretty good result, esp. in rebounding department. Can't really tell about his defense through the boxscore, can we ?

ChumpDumper
10-10-2007, 01:33 AM
The 6'6" Rocket power forwards were really impressive on the boards.

WalterBenitez
10-10-2007, 05:18 AM
For the sake of this forum's sanity, I hope that Scola is a bust. If he does anything, this is going to turn into ScolaTalk.

:wakeup assuming already isn't ... anyhow the best is coming when we will be able to see him against Spurs.

Darkwaters
10-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Sorry I didn't report in last night. I went out after the game and didn't really feel like getting on the computer.

All and all, I have to say that this was probably the most depressing NBA game I've ever been to. The arena felt deflated (only about 5,000 people in the whole place) as it was depressing that the OKC Hornets now have to return to the 30th best market in the NBA. (sigh)

Anyways, Scola. Scola came off the bench last night for the Rockets but made an immediate impact when he hit the court. They looked to him early and he started the game pretty strongly. He was originally being guarded by David West (below average defender) but ended up getting Tyson Chandler on the switch (much better defender) a few times at first. Twice I saw him muscle his way through Chandler to get to the basket...both resulting in baskets. A third time he made a nifty move under the basket against West which resulted in a nice look at the basket but no points. Scola also made a strong move to the basket in the early minutes of the game, beating his man and drawing help defense, only to find a cutter with a nifty pass for an clean look (which was missed). This was the best part of his performance last night. His effort against Chandler was excellent and I certainly expected him to get more looks if he kept being productive. Unfortunately, then the fouls started. Scola drew 3 fouls in a fairly short period of time (I think about 5 minutes got him 3 fouls) as well as a couple of turnovers. Two of his quick fouls were blocking fouls on horribly slow rotations and the third call escapes my memory. But I do remember the whistle. Scola also was cleanly stripped at some point early in the game as he held the ball too low and didn't protect it from his defender. The third foul warranted Scola's benching and he wasn't seen again until the next half. In the second half Scola played more against the Hornets reserves than he did the first team. This is where the majority of his rebounds came (against Hilton Armstrong and Ryan Bowen). He didn't get nearly as many looks at the basket in this half mostly because the offense wasn't being played through him. Regardless of the inferior competition in the second half, Scola's defense didn't seem to improve much. His defensive effort on the night was hardly overwhelming and his defensive instincts were clearly below average. While a liability on that end of the floor, he obviously has offensive skill that is NBA-worthy.

All and all, Scola looked really good, albeit cautious and unsure. Considering the dismal perfomance of the Hornets offense in the first half (scoring only 7 points through the first 8 minutes) I don't really consider the first game of preseason to be a GREAT indicator of ability, but still one that should be noted.

I have a handful of pictures that I will post later.

ducks
10-10-2007, 09:08 AM
thanks

Indazone
10-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Typical for a Euro trying to adjust to the NBA's speed.

hater
10-10-2007, 09:46 AM
dammit I knew Spurs screwed this one up

thousandth
10-11-2007, 08:56 AM
8points isn't awesome first night from "a rookie of the year". Anyway Scola's ability shouldn't be appreciate by one first game in the NBA. That's true, but I expected more than him. Seriously, rookie of the year?

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Typical for a Euro trying to adjust to the NBA's speed.

Yes if JVG was still coach after he have 5 foul and 5 turnover in first ever preseason game he would be already put in doghouse and when season start he would ride bench all year.

But Adelmam is not crazy idiot like Van Gundy and understand this and Scola will get chance to adjust and turnover and foul will go down. I wish Billy have normal coach like Adelmam when he go NBA.
Scola should be good player.

Roxsfan
10-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes if JVG was still coach after he have 5 foul and 5 turnover in first ever preseason game he would be already put in doghouse and when season start he would ride bench all year.

But Adelmam is not crazy idiot like Van Gundy and understand this and Scola will get chance to adjust and turnover and foul will go down. I wish Billy have normal coach like Adelmam when he go NBA.
Scola should be good player.

Yeah, many of his fouls are correctable: keep the feet still on a pick etc...should be easy to correct. Though I think watching the turnovers and keeping fouls down will be his toughest challenge. I think he can and will defend well and be effective offensively through scoring or assisting.

hater
10-11-2007, 10:49 AM
But Adelmam is not crazy idiot like Van Gundy and

lol

SAGambler
10-11-2007, 10:52 AM
"Good" players are a dime a dozen. Obviously Scola didn't fit in with the Spurs plans or else he would be here instead of in Houston. Whether or not it will be a "Spurs screw up" is yet to be seen. If the Spurs are banging it out for another O'Brian in postseason, Scola will just become another one of the many good players that never donned a Spurs uniform.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-11-2007, 11:44 AM
"Good" players are a dime a dozen. Obviously Scola didn't fit in with the Spurs plans or else he would be here instead of in Houston. Whether or not it will be a "Spurs screw up" is yet to be seen. If the Spurs are banging it out for another O'Brian in postseason, Scola will just become another one of the many good players that never donned a Spurs uniform.

It screws up not because Spur need him it screws up because Spurs make Rockets better. It screws up because now Rockets be able beat Spurs and this not happens if they not gives them Scola. It screws up because Spur could just leave him in Spain or trades him to other team or evens other conference insteads for money trades him Rocket and now team can best them in playoff. It not screws up because Spur need him.

ChumpDumper
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Scola isn't Greek. You don't have to pimp him so hard.

Big P
10-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Scola in first outing

8 points 7 rebounds 3 assists in 23 minutes of play

http://www.nba.com/games/20071009/HOUNOH/boxscore.html

:danceclub

Forgot to mention the 5 turnovers.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
8 points 7 rebounds 3 assists 5 pfs and 5 tos in 23 minutes. Nothing too spectacular, but a very decent outing for it being the first time he plays in the NBA. I think he'll do alright. Its a shame he won't be able to benefit from playing with the likes of Tim, Tony and Manu like Oberto has.

Here's to hoping he's not a bust, but the rockets are :lol

Martin R
10-12-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUPvoxfLXis

whottt
10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Even Scola couldn't have stopped capspace tonight!

Scola's line:

Min: 18
FGM-A: 2-7
Pts: 4
Rebounds: 5
Turnovers: 4
PF: 2

Wheras capspace...I dunno what he did, but I promise you it didn't suck that bad.

Just wanted to make sure I bump the Scola threads when he sucks, as much as they get bumped whe he gets outplayed by Euroleague C's...not that his ardent fans wouldn't have done that for us....but it's my pleasure :tu

I think Mahinmi almost outplayed him in like 3 minutes.

Hemotivo
10-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Just wanted to make sure I bump the Scola threads
all of them?

ChumpDumper
10-23-2007, 10:31 PM
:lol Memphis held the greatest big three in NBA history to 10/29 from the floor.

whottt
10-23-2007, 10:32 PM
all of them?

Actually this was the most recent one I could find...probably is one more recent but I didn't see it as I was browsing.

E20
10-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Even Scola couldn't have stopped capspace tonight!

Scola's line:

Min: 18
FGM-A: 2-7
Pts: 4
Rebounds: 5
Turnovers: 4
PF: 2

Wheras capspace...I dunno what he did, but I promise you it didn't suck that bad.

Just wanted to make sure I bump the Scola threads when he sucks, as much as they get bumped whe he gets outplayed by Euroleague C's...not that his ardent fans wouldn't have done that for us....but it's my pleasure :tu

I think Mahinmi almost outplayed him in like 3 minutes.
Mcgrady and Yao played shittier than Scola........................

ChumpDumper
10-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Mcgrady and Yao played shittier than Scola........................So Scola made them worse....

Hemotivo
10-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Actually this was the most recent one I could find...probably is one more recent but I didn't see it as I was browsing.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80021
Enjoy!