PDA

View Full Version : Baptism Question

pseudofan
10-09-2007, 10:15 PM
We are going to be Godparents for the first time .....

STOP LAUGHING....

and we don't know what the heck we're doing!

Traditionally, what are our responsibilities for the baptism as the godparents? I heard that we were supposed to outfit the baby with the baptismal gown, but that's a tradition that the family has already taken care of. So, now what?

Any serious help you all can give would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

mrsmaalox
10-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Well I believe you'll need to attend weeks and weeks of grueling religious training. I think they explain your duties there.

marini martini
10-09-2007, 10:24 PM
put the kid in your will and leave it everything you have!

2Blonde
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Congratulations!!!!

Here's a link I found that might help you. You didn't mention what religion you are so I went as generic as possible.
http://www.egodparent.com/Godparenting.htm#

Also under one of the questions on that page I found this response that I thought was pretty good.
http://www.egodparent.com/Articles/Congratulations.htm

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-09-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm sure Sequ has some old clothes that could easily be fashioned into clothes for the newborn.

pseudofan
10-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Congratulations!!!!

Here's a link I found that might help you. You didn't mention what religion you are so I went as generic as possible.
http://www.egodparent.com/Godparenting.htm#

Also under one of the questions on that page I found this response that I thought was pretty good.
http://www.egodparent.com/Articles/Congratulations.htm

We are Catholic.

drunkendan
10-09-2007, 10:38 PM
For catholics I know for sure you have to take a class through the church before you can baptise the baby. It's usually just a weekend class. You might have to go through more classes if you haven't been baptised or confirmed.

SequSpur
10-09-2007, 10:39 PM
We ain't taking no got damn class. It's coming up this weekend. We need to know if we need to give gifts or what?

Nobody said shit about a class. F that.

SequSpur
10-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm sure Sequ has some old clothes that could easily be fashioned into clothes for the newborn.

Thanks Jackie Chan... You're one funny mofo.

E20
10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
I think Sequ needs a stool to step on so he can pour the water on the baby's head. :lol

SequSpur
10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
you see, you guys offer nothing to this world.. I don't even know why we ask. :rolleyes

2Blonde
10-09-2007, 10:58 PM
you see, you guys offer nothing to this world.. I don't even know why we ask. :rolleyes

EXCUSE ME???? I believe I posted a link that would answer all your questions. You're welcome.

SequSpur
10-09-2007, 11:05 PM
EXCUSE ME???? I believe I posted a link that would answer all your questions. You're welcome.

oh yours was exactly what we needed.. thanks...

so we get a candle? that's easy.

2Blonde
10-09-2007, 11:13 PM
oh yours was exactly what we needed.. thanks...

so we get a candle? that's easy.

And then there's that whole pesky pray for the the kid-help him/her grow in their faith thing. :lol

My daughter is going through confirmation this year and we just had to go through the process of finding her a qualified sponsor.

tlongII
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Catholic huh? Just keep the kid away from the priest.

tsb2000
10-10-2007, 12:05 AM
If you're already Catholic, some parishes will forgo the class, but that is the norm. The priest will give you the cues on the day (you will need to show up early), so it's nothing to worry about.

You're also signed up for giving extra presents for the kid on birthdays, Christmas, etc. :)

BeerIsGood!
10-10-2007, 12:24 AM
The extra presents are nice. My godmother always tucked an extra Nintendo game into my stocking come Christmas time. Ah, those were the days...

iminlakerland
10-10-2007, 02:20 AM
The Archdiocese of Los Angeles requires all parents and godparents to attend a pre-baptismal class. Some parishes will offer a certain day where they give the class normally an hour and a half class. Other parishes also give the class the same day of the Baptism.

All godparents must be practicing catholics who have recieved all of their sacraments. This includes Baptism, FHC, Confirmation, and if married, married in the Catholic Church.

Normally the godparents purchase a baptismal candle. Also as godparents you two should be an example to the child. There is a misconcepcion that godparents will take in the child if something were to happen to the child. That is not what being a god parent is about. You should be a religious example and moral example for that child.

If you need anymore info let me know...I do work for the church.

exstatic
10-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Plenty of dos here, so here's one do not: do not wear white, Sequ. They'll think you're the next infant in line, and baptize your azz.

Shelly
10-10-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm my neice's Godmother who was baptized Catholic and I don't remember having to take any class and this was in the L.A. area.

YMMV

sa_butta
10-10-2007, 09:03 AM
I could be wrong here but, I thought the godparents get the outfit, candle and cloth.

ploto
10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Those must be certain ethnic traditions. I have never heard of the godparents having to buy the gown. Every baptism I have attended in San Antonio, the church supplied the candle and the white cloth that is given to the infant at the baptism.

Parishes should require that you attend a class or two. The main thing is that you are agreeing to guide the child's spiritual growth and development, although to be quite honest, unfortunately many godparents do very little and it is more just ceremonial.

I would purchase a gift for your new godchild- maybe a cross to hang in his or her room or something like that. There are a number of stores that sell baptismal items- you can try Christian Treasures on Fredericksburg Road inside the loop.

spurster
10-10-2007, 09:29 AM
You have to set an example for your godchild, which means you'll have to start saying nice things about Beno.

sa_butta
10-10-2007, 09:38 AM
You have to set an example for your godchild, which means you'll have to start saying nice things about Beno.If that was the case there would be no godparents in San Antonio.:lol

spurspf
10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
A great Mexican tradition is the bolo padrino. All the little kids there start yelling to the godfather "bolo, bolo,bolo..." till he throws alot of coins for them to collect. They only get to collect once though.

CosmicCowboy
10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I was baptized by a southern baptist preacher that did the full "dunk em in the pool" thing. I really thought that motherfucker was gonna drown me. He pushed me under and held me by the back of the neck and then went into this long ass prayer...I could hear him droning *mmmabubbbleabuppiaiabullshittia...etcetcetc. fuck...I was runnin out of air and started kickin like a sumbitch.