PDA

View Full Version : Popovich surprises Johnson with news of honor

timvp
10-10-2007, 03:26 AM
Popovich surprises Johnson with news of honor
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

DALLAS — When Avery Johnson picked up the telephone some weeks ago and heard what Gregg Popovich had to say, he thought the Spurs head coach had cracked open one too many bottles of Bordeaux.

The Spurs, Popovich was trying to tell him, had decided to retire his No. 6 jersey.

“I thought he was just kidding me,” Johnson said, “or that he'd had too much wine.”

It was no joke, and the ceremony to retire Johnson's number has been set for Dec. 22, after the Spurs' game against the Los Angeles Clippers. Neither Popovich nor Johnson wanted the occasion to be affected by the intensity of a Spurs-Mavericks matchup.

“Avery and I decided that would be too cruel,” Popovich said. “One of us would have to fake like we were having a good time.”

Johnson, who played nine seasons for the Spurs, is the team's all-time leader in assists. He said the honor ranks “up there” among those he has received, including being named NBA Coach of the Year.

“What a thrill,” Johnson said. “What an honor. It's pretty special. You go to the arenas around the NBA, and there's not many guys whose jerseys are hanging in the rafters.”

Popovich instigated the decision to raise Johnson's number to the AT&T Center rafters.

“Avery thought it was going to come when he was about 49 years old,” Popovich said. “I didn't want to wait that long. I wanted to do it while I'm here, very selfishly. I want to be there and be part of the Spurs when we retire his jersey, so why not just do it now? He obviously deserves it.”

Officially speaking: The Spurs received their annual preseason briefing from league referees after their morning practice at the AT&T Center.

Steve Javie, one of the NBA's top referees and the crew chief at Tuesday's game, spoke to the players and coaches about plays and calls the officials have been instructed to emphasize this season, including an ongoing crackdown on traveling.

Another emphasis: More leeway for big men to defend smaller players who drive to the basket.

“They were talking about some stuff about the bigs not getting so many (foul) calls in the paint when we smalls drive into them,” said Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, who has benefited from his share of foul calls when driving to the basket.

Easy path to championship? The Mavericks smarted all summer after being ousted in the first round of the playoffs by the Golden State Warriors, who turned out to be the hottest of the NBA's low-seeded playoff teams.

What did the Mavs think of the Spurs' path to the 2007 NBA title.

“They had, as we would see it, an easy road,” swingman Jerry Stackhouse said. “Really, their main threat was Phoenix, who imploded and messed up their chances.

“But, hey, take nothing away from them. You've still got to go win it, and they did that.”

timvp
10-10-2007, 03:27 AM
“Avery thought it was going to come when he was about 49 years old,” Popovich said. “I didn't want to wait that long. I wanted to do it while I'm here, very selfishly. I want to be there and be part of the Spurs when we retire his jersey, so why not just do it now? He obviously deserves it.”Amen.

:smokin

whottt
10-10-2007, 03:45 AM
Translation: It's already a 2-1 vote against, if we wait any longer the only thing of AJ's going to be hanging from the rafters in SA, is AJ.

whottt
10-10-2007, 03:51 AM
Neither Popovich nor Johnson wanted the occasion to be affected by the intensity of a Spurs-Mavericks matchup.

Translation: I don't want AJ getting booed off the court when we do it.

Bottom line...and not to start this argument over again, but even if everything you say is true....and that Pop wanted this all along, it's still kind of underhanded...the fans deserve some say in whose jersey hangs...this isn't a case of ambivalence and no on really knowing who AJ was...as I said..this is a case of a great number of fans knowing exactly who he was, what he is supposed to be credited with...and still being violently against the idea.

Everyone in SA knows who he was...

dimsah
10-10-2007, 05:08 AM
“They had, as we would see it, an easy road,” swingman Jerry Stackhouse said. “Really, their main threat was Phoenix, who imploded and messed up their chances.

“But, hey, take nothing away from them. You've still got to go win it, and they did that.” as he makes a motion like he's pretending to masturbate.What a douche.

Melmart1
10-10-2007, 05:13 AM
the fans deserve some say in whose jersey hangs...this isn't a case of ambivalence and no on really knowing who AJ was...as I said..this is a case of a great number of fans knowing exactly who he was, what he is supposed to be credited with...and still being violently against the idea.

Everyone in SA knows who he was...

If fans had a decision in whose jersey hangs, methinks that even Antoine Carr could get a few votes from guys who still loved "tha dog pound" ... The truth is, even though I am ambivalent to the retirement, it is probably well-deserved.

703 Spurz
10-10-2007, 08:45 AM
What a douche.

Stackhouse has never had it so how the hell does he know what it is? Speaking of an easy road, he basically says Denver and Utah are worse then dogshit so I hope those 2 teams take note and fuck Dallas up when they play

Jimcs50
10-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Well deserved. :smokin

ambchang
10-10-2007, 09:02 AM
They had, as we would see it, an easy road. Really, their main threat was Phoenix, who imploded and messed up their chances.

Translation: Spurs didn't win, it just turned out the team that beat the team that beat us lost to the Spurs, and then the Suns happened to lose.

Mixability
10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
It's nice to have an easy road, then to swerve off of it.

jmard5
10-10-2007, 10:01 AM

“But, hey, take nothing away from them. You've still got to go win it, and they did that.”

Who said it was an easy road? Nuggets, Phoenix and Utah?

Sourgrapes.

boutons_
10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
"More leeway for big men to defend smaller players who drive to the basket."

ouch! NBA wants more intimidation and punishment for drivers and therefore more jump shooting.

What weird was to fuck with the game.

One of Rasho's best moves on offense was holding a path clear for our drivers. Sounds like we'll need a lot more of that.

SenorSpur
10-10-2007, 10:38 AM
The headline should have read:

Popovich surprises Johnson (and most Spurs fans) with news of honor

We born to be bad
10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Another emphasis: More leeway for big men to defend smaller players who drive to the basket.

“They were talking about some stuff about the bigs not getting so many (foul) calls in the paint when we smalls drive into them,” said Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, who has benefited from his share of foul calls when driving to the basket.

more floppers! :lol

SequSpur
10-10-2007, 11:06 AM
gay......................

Holt's Cat
10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
It's shocking that the Spurs would retire the jersey number of their all-time assists leader.

FromWayDowntown
10-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Easy path to championship? The Mavericks smarted all summer after being ousted in the first round of the playoffs by the Golden State Warriors, who turned out to be the hottest of the NBA's low-seeded playoff teams.

Translation: it's just not fair that the Spurs didn't have to play a number 8 seed in the first round. And never mind that our coach could have gone some distance toward ensuring that the number 8 seed wasn't Golden State by playing to win our last game in Oakland -- we're really here to cast aspersions on a team for doing the very thing that we've been incapable of doing . . . well . . . forever.

We born to be bad
10-10-2007, 11:33 AM
gay......................

ok. Big boy :rolleyes . Manu isn't a flopper :dramaquee :dramaquee

Walter Craparita
10-10-2007, 12:20 PM
What a bitch.

Beat the 8th seed and then talk.

Easy Road > cul-de-sac