PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' key players rest in loss to Mavs

timvp
10-10-2007, 03:28 AM
Spurs' key players rest in loss to Mavs
Jeff McDonald
Express-News

DALLAS — A giant banner draped across the façade of American Airlines Center welcomed the Spurs upon their arrival for Tuesday's preseason opener against Dallas.

"Walking With Dinosaurs," it read in large block letters.

The signage was meant to provide notice of a prehistoric exhibit coming to Big D. Instead, it provided an obvious "insert aging Spurs joke here" moment — one Brent Barry was all too happy to oblige.

"Did they put that up there just for us?" Barry cracked.

Come game time, the Spurs' version of a dinosaur display proved to be a limited engagement. Many of the most Jurassic among them — Bruce Bowen, Tim Duncan, Michael Finley and Robert Horry — played scarce minutes in the Spurs' 88-67 loss.

Instead, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich — like his Dallas counterpart, Avery Johnson — used the occasion to take a hard look at unproven players fighting for roster spots and playing time.

The conclusion: Right now, the Mavericks' junior varsity is better than the Spurs' junior varsity.

Dallas broke open the game in the fourth quarter using a lineup consisting of J.J. Barea, Jared Newsom, Trenton Hassell, Nick Fazekas and Darvin Ham, a 34-year-old who at this time last year was working as a TV analyst.

Matt Bonner, a second-year Spurs player battling for an increased role in Popovich's rotation, turned in a productive 25 minutes off the bench. He scored 14 points and pulled down nine rebounds.

For the most part, it was hardly the kind of heated Spurs-Mavs rivalry game to which fans had become accustomed. Minutes before tipoff, Popovich was spied on the bench stifling a yawn.

"One down, six to go," Popovich said afterward, alluding to the team's remaining preseason schedule.

Josh Howard led Dallas with 18 points, while reigning league MVP Dirk Nowitzki scored 13. Neither played after halftime, by which time most of the Spurs' regulars had also packed it in for the game.

Manu Ginobili was the only Spurs starter to log more than 18 minutes. Duncan was the only starter to play more than 16.

The clear winners for the Spurs were Bonner and Ime Udoka, who provided a solid 15 minutes off the bench in his first action with the team.

Popovich was most impressed with Udoka's work at the defensive end of the floor.

"Ime's a solid player," Popovich said. "He's not going to go Michael Jordan on you, but he might go Mario Elie on you."

Elie, of course, is the former Spurs player who was in the building as a Mavericks assistant Tuesday.

Ginobili, meanwhile, tried his best to be Tony Parker. He drew a rare start at point guard with Parker, Jacque Vaughn and Beno Udrih all taking the day off with varying degrees of injury.

Ginobili finished with 14 points and seven assists, but he isn't apt to be taking Parker's job anytime soon.

"I told Tony to be careful," Ginobili joked. "Or this will be the last year he plays point guard."

By the end of the third quarter, even Ginobili was on the bench, replaced by free agent Darius Washington.

Sign No. 1 that this was the preseason: The Spurs closed the quarter with a lineup consisting of Ian Mahinmi, Marcus Williams, Keith Langford, Kris Lang and Washington. None of those players are expected to remain in San Antonio at the end of training camp.

By the start of the fourth, the cast of Spurs veterans had long since retired for the evening. The dinosaur show was officially over.

"We just wanted to get those guys a good run in the first half, and call it a night," Popovich said. "And that's what we did."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101007.01C.BKNspurs.mavs.gamer.34a6414.html

whottt
10-10-2007, 03:38 AM
Popovich was most impressed with Udoka's work at the defensive end of the floor.

"Ime's a solid player," Popovich said. "He's not going to go Michael Jordan on you, but he might go Mario Elie on you."

:fro

Elie, of course, is the former Spurs player who was in the building as a Mavericks assistant Tuesday.

:flipoff

Sign No. 1 that this was the preseason: The Spurs closed the quarter with a lineup consisting of Ian Mahinmi, Marcus Williams, Keith Langford, Kris Lang and Washington. None of those players are expected to remain in San Antonio at the end of training camp.

:reading

Ginobili was the only Spurs starter to log more than 18 minutes.

Duncan was the only starter to play more than 16.

:wtf

whottt
10-10-2007, 03:42 AM
signage

:stfu :loser :nutkick:

ChumpDumper
10-10-2007, 03:52 AM
Sign No. 1 that this was the preseason: The Spurs closed the quarter with a lineup consisting of Ian Mahinmi, Marcus Williams, Keith Langford, Kris Lang and Washington. None of those players are expected to remain in San Antonio at the end of training camp.Ian and Marcus should remain in San Antonio for at least a couple of weeks after training camp. The Toros' camp won't start until about six games into the Spurs' regular season. I certainly don't expect Ian to be waived.

whottt
10-10-2007, 03:58 AM
I certainly don't expect Ian to be waived.

What about Williams?

ChumpDumper
10-10-2007, 04:02 AM
Who knows? I imagine if he shows enough in practice he won't be in jeopardy unless two of our point guards stay injured going into the season.

whottt
10-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Since Ian is guranteed...he's not going to be waived right?

Williams doesn't have that same sort of security.

I am not even sure his D being a strength is going to be enough to save him either...didn't save Linton Johnson.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Since Ian is guranteed...he's not going to be waived right?Right.

Williams doesn't have that same sort of security.I don't remember reading any terms. All or part of this season could be guaranteed.

I am not even sure his D being a strength is going to be enough to save him either...didn't save Linton Johnson.Well, we kept Romain Sato until February. I'm of the mind that the Toros experiment is Buford's baby, and he's going to do whatever he can to legitimize it and his #33 pick at the same time. If Williams shows no potential at all and someone the Spurs had their eye on becomes available, or if injuries necessitate it as I already mentioned, he could be waived. Otherwise he should end up here in Austin for awhile.

whottt
10-10-2007, 04:33 AM
Well, we kept Romain Sato until February.

Yeah but we didn't have the depth then that we do now.

I'm of the mind that the Toros experiment is Buford's baby,

It's someone's baby that's for sure...good idea too.

and he's going to do whatever he can to legitimize it and his #33 pick at the same time. If Williams shows no potential at all and someone the Spurs had their eye on becomes available, or if injuries necessitate it as I already mentioned, he could be waived. Otherwise he should end up here in Austin for awhile.

Well legitimizing the pick is a good point...that may be the #1 thing he has going in his favor.

Still...they can waive him and put him on the D-league team if he's willing...I believe...and if they can avoid a guaranteed deal....

WalterBenitez
10-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Boring and now dinosaurs, okey we are gonna get finals this year.

1Parker1
10-10-2007, 06:33 AM
I do miss me some Johnny Ludden :(

wildchild
10-10-2007, 07:17 AM
I do miss me some Johnny Ludden :(

You read my mind!

703 Spurz
10-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey, we're old! You learn new things everyday :drunk

SenorSpur
10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Ian and Marcus should remain in San Antonio for at least a couple of weeks after training camp. The Toros' camp won't start until about six games into the Spurs' regular season. I certainly don't expect Ian to be waived.

For that matter, I trust Marcus wont be waived either.

This writer must not have known that Ian is under a guaranteed contract.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Yeah but we didn't have the depth then that we do now.If we have more depth now, that seems like an argument for being patient with Williams and developing him in Austin.

Well legitimizing the pick is a good point...that may be the #1 thing he has going in his favor.

Still...they can waive him and put him on the D-league team if he's willing...I believe...and if they can avoid a guaranteed deal....If the Spurs waive him, they lose all rights to him. If Williams then wants to play in the D-League, he will either enter the D-League draft (provided he was waived during training camp) or the available player pool (waived after the season starts) and any team can pick him up.

E20
10-10-2007, 01:09 PM
I guess Manu isn't a key player anymore.

urunobili
10-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Since Ian is guranteed...he's not going to be waived right?

Williams doesn't have that same sort of security.

I am not even sure his D being a strength is going to be enough to save him either...didn't save Linton Johnson.
i was there at the stadium and Williams was REALLY shaky with his play.. James White kind of fate... by the other hand.. after Mahimni's block on Ager... he might make it to the 15 men roster... i can;t believe non of you started a thread just about that block...

SenorSpur
10-10-2007, 02:55 PM
i was there at the stadium and Williams was REALLY shaky with his play.. James White kind of fate... by the other hand.. after Mahimni's block on Ager... he might make it to the 15 men roster... i can;t believe non of you started a thread just about that block...

I mentioned that block in another thread.

But it truly deserves it's own thread.

What an awesome block it was.

timvp
10-11-2007, 01:37 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by Marcus Williams play. He finished with three turnovers and shot 0-for-6 from the floor in 16 minutes. Going into the game if you would have told me he was going to play 16 minutes, I probably would have guessed he would have finished with five turnovers and shot 0-for-8.

Step in the right direction :tu

T Park
10-11-2007, 03:30 AM
Pop comparing Ime to Mario Elie?

Ime is the starting 2 by March. Book it.

The more I read, the more he sounds like a Mario Elie.