PDA

View Full Version : ESPN does it again...

sa_butta
10-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I was watching ESPN this morning, and they were transitioning into the NBA highlights. And they say "it seems like just a few months ago Lebron was leading his team to the NBA finals."

Um, yeah he lead his team into a finals series in which the Spurs dominated in a sweep. Not saying Lebron is not a great player, but seriously lets give credit where credit is due.

That is all.

stretch
10-10-2007, 09:02 AM
But Lebron did lead his team to the NBA finals. What's the problem in that? He led a team that without him, is probably 9-73 talent, to the NBA Finals. He deserves credit for that. And I don't see how that is taking anything away from the Spurs.

Geez, some Spurs fans are just too damn sensitive about their team. Yall won 4 titles, so why bitch about pointless crap like this?

ducks
10-10-2007, 09:05 AM
He did?
I thought it was all Mike Brown

stretch
10-10-2007, 09:08 AM
He did?
No. It was Anderson Varejao.

samikeyp
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
He did?

It was da Boobie! :)

SenorSpur
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
He did?

No. It was really boobie?

inconvertible
10-10-2007, 10:00 AM
its usual for BSPN.

CosmicCowboy
10-10-2007, 10:04 AM
LOL...and the supporting cast Cleveland's bringing back is arguably even worse than last year. Cleveland can kiss LeBron's ass good bye at his first opt out opportunity.

spursfan09
10-10-2007, 01:26 PM
When is his first opt out oppurtunity?

duncan228
10-10-2007, 01:34 PM
What else is new?
As a long time Spurs fan I now expect no credit.
No coverage.
No mention.
I actually prefer it, although sometimes it will get my goat.
But we all know the Spurs do well flying under the radar.
Let the credit and coverage go where it will.
Everyone will be watching us in May and June.

stretch
10-10-2007, 01:36 PM
God almighty, some of you Spurs fan's act like some total broads...

florige
10-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah, the same ESPN after we won the West had Kobe Bryant as the leading story and the Spurs as the third leading story... :rolleyes

FromWayDowntown
10-10-2007, 01:47 PM

I don't think the latter part of that is right, but I agree with you that too many Spurs fans go around looking for slights where they just aren't apparent. The Spurs aren't media darlings, but there's nothing incorrect about saying that Lebron led the Cavs to the NBA Finals -- just as there was nothing incorrect about saying that Jason Kidd led the Nets to the 2003 NBA Finals or that Allan Houston and Latrell Sprewell led the Knicks to the 1999 NBA Finals. There's no slight in recognizing that Lebron was fantastic for the Cavs last year.

It would be different if the news readers were saying that the Cavs were the defending champions or if the story dealt with a Cavs/Spurs matchup and made no reference to what happened in the Finals, but that didn't happen. The Spurs will be called champs for the duration of this season; they don't have to be mentioned in every story about every team in the NBA during the season as well.

stretch
10-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't think the latter part of that is right, but I agree with you that too many Spurs fans go around looking for slights where they just aren't apparent. The Spurs aren't media darlings, but there's nothing incorrect about saying that Lebron led the Cavs to the NBA Finals -- just as there was nothing incorrect about saying that Jason Kidd led the Nets to the 2003 NBA Finals or that Allan Houston and Latrell Sprewell led the Knicks to the 1999 NBA Finals. There's no slight in recognizing that Lebron was fantastic for the Cavs last year.

It would be different if the news readers were saying that the Cavs were the defending champions or if the story dealt with a Cavs/Spurs matchup and made no reference to what happened in the Finals, but that didn't happen. The Spurs will be called champs for the duration of this season; they don't have to be mentioned in every story about every team in the NBA during the season as well.
Thanks. At least someone is reasonable about this subject.

yourcheatinheart
10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
I was watching ESPN this morning, and they were transitioning into the NBA highlights. And they say "it seems like just a few months ago Lebron was leading his team to the NBA finals."

Um, yeah he lead his team into a finals series in which the Spurs dominated in a sweep. Not saying Lebron is not a great player, but seriously lets give credit where credit is due.

That is all.

i smell suns envy.

Walter Craparita
10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
What else is new?
As a long time Spurs fan I now expect no credit.
No coverage.
No mention.
I actually prefer it, although sometimes it will get my goat.
But we all know the Spurs do well flying under the radar.
Let the credit and coverage go where it will.
Everyone will be watching us in May and June.

We went from being nobodies once again to being the most hated team in sports that couple weeks. I thought it was hilarious haha.

Can't call us soft :nope

SpursDynasty
10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I think it was the lack of Detroit defense in the closing seconds of Game 5 last year, and Daniel Gibson's one-hit wonder night in Game 6, that took Cleveland to the Finals. Not LeBron.

stretch
10-10-2007, 03:35 PM
I think it was the lack of Detroit defense in the closing seconds of Game 5 last year, and Daniel Gibson's one-hit wonder night in Game 6, that took Cleveland to the Finals. Not LeBron.
You're an idiot.

Cry Havoc
10-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Yup, what he said.

God, why are we so hungry for media attention? I don't mind being under the radar, so to speak, and I seriously doubt we'll be ignored. Sure, some of the hype "analysts" don't give us much attention... and I could care less.

The good NBA personalities give us props when and where we earn it. And I'm fine with that. We're probably one of the most covered NBA teams in the league outside of the storied franchises, if only because the media keeps re-iterating how unnoticed we are. :lol

TheAuthority
10-10-2007, 04:42 PM

:lmao

sprrs
10-10-2007, 05:06 PM

That is all.

That's such BS. It was a few months ago that Lebron led his team to the finals. Typical ESPN BS.

ShoogarBear
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM
God almighty, some of you Spurs fan's act like some total broads...There's nothing wrong with saying LeBron led his team to the Finals.

It's just like saying Dirk led his team to the playoffs.

VinnyTestesVerde
10-10-2007, 10:54 PM
is anyone here surprised that ESPN doesn't give a shit about the spurs? seriously. why is this a shock to anyone?

ESPN hearts LeBron, Kobe and Shaq. Done deal. End of story.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2007, 11:27 PM
:tu Stretch.

:tu FWD.

VinnyTestesVerde
10-10-2007, 11:28 PM

hey man, quick idea: shut the eff up and leave.

sincerely,
Spurs fan who does not care to make friends with bitter self-righteous Mavs fans

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2007, 11:30 PM
is anyone here surprised that ESPN doesn't give a shit about the spurs? seriously. why is this a shock to anyone?

ESPN hearts LeBron, Kobe and Shaq. Done deal. End of story.

Maybe so, but this thread's subject is hardly the epitome of that.

O-Factor
10-10-2007, 11:33 PM
i smell suns envy.

yup, we envy zero championships and false promises

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 07:42 AM
We went from being nobodies once again to being the most hated team in sports that couple weeks. I thought it was hilarious haha.

Can't call us soft :nope

Not just the most hated. The most vile, dirty, cheap, and thuggish team ever in the history of professional basketball, if not human sport history.

Taco
10-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Geez, some Spurs fans are just too damn sensitive about their team. Yall won 4 titles, so why bitch about pointless crap like this?

Mavsfan is right

The Spurs as a team don't let the anty hype bother them, they use it as motivation

stretch
10-11-2007, 08:48 AM
hey man, quick idea: shut the eff up and leave.

sincerely,
Spurs fan who does not care to make friends with bitter self-righteous Mavs fans
hey man, quick idea: blow me.

sincerely,
Mavs fan who does not care to make friends with idiot Spurs fans that can't just be happy with 4 titles, and have to be nitpicky little broads, just because ESPN said a fact that didn't involve the Spurs.

stretch
10-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Mavsfan is right

The Spurs as a team don't let the anit hype bother them, they use it as motivation
They have 4 titles. I really don't see how you could ask for more. It's as good as it gets.

Taco
10-11-2007, 08:54 AM
They have 4 titles. I really don't see how you could ask for more. It's as good as it gets.

5 is better than 4!!! :clap

If you have 4 million dollars wouldn't it be nice to have 5 million? :greedy :spin

stretch
10-11-2007, 08:59 AM
5 is better than 4!!! :clap

If you have 4 million dollars wouldn't it be nice to have 5 million? :greedy :spin
Lol, I meant winning the championship period. It really doesn't get better than that. I'll take a parade over excessive media attention any day.

Taco
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Lol, I meant winning the championship period. It really doesn't get better than that. I'll take a parade over excessive media attention any day.
:tu

Reggie Miller
10-11-2007, 09:37 AM
I am a fan mostly of small market teams that receive little national media coverage: Pacers, Spurs, Tampa Bay Lightning, and Bucaneers.

On the whole, I would say that the local coverage of the other teams mentioned above has been reasonably balanced, or even biased in favor of the players and management. (The exception would be post-Auburn Hills Pacers.) At any rate, pressure from the local media was never a factor in those teams' performances, free agent movement, etc. All of these teams are largely ignored by the national media, unless they happen to win a championship or make a deep run. (Inevitably, they are then ignored again in the subsequent regular season.)

The Bucaneers are a special case becuase they were the only pro team in the Bay Area when I first moved there. The Lightning and Devil Rays came into existence at roughly the same time that the Bucs went from doormats to mediocre to respectable. Before that, local media scrutiny and criticism was intense and deserved. (Of course, the national media still couldn't have cared less.)

Two other teams that I follow receive considerable attention from the national media: Cubs and Colts.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that the Cubs and individual players have suffered from the local and national feeding frenzy. Granted, most of this is benign compared to what the Yankees and Red Sox endure, since the Tribune Co. owns the Cubs. I would even argue that it shouldn't hurt the team, but it has. The duplicity and inconsistency of the local media must be doubly frustrating for the players and management; one day they are "lovable losers," the next just plain "Losers."

The national media ignored the Colts before they started winning, but I don't think the new attention has actually hurt the team that much (yet). Dungy is actually underrated in this regard. However, I have been annoyed and aggravated by several media-created "incidents" over the last few years. You know, attempts by ESPN and the broadcast networks to manufacture controversy or conflicts within the team. They say that winning cures all ills, but I wouldn't entirely agree with that.

My point (and I do in fact have one): You don't want the national media attention, especially the "negative" attention. Yes, it's a welcome change to turn on Sportscenter or the nightly network news and see your small market team getting some coverage and publicity, but it's really not worth the hassle for the team or you, the fan.

I guess Spurs' fans got a small taste of that in last year's playoffs. Try that on for size for about a full calendar year. Actually, the fallout from Auburn Hills is still continuing, but all Pacers' fans heard about for the first year was Artest, the suspensions, and criminal proceedings. Now it's becoming more of an afterthought, but one that the national media still dredges up whenever possible. I'm not saying that the punishments and public condemnations weren't deserved, but good grief...

VinnyTestesVerde
10-11-2007, 09:46 AM
hey man, quick idea: blow me.

sincerely,
Mavs fan who does not care to make friends with idiot Spurs fans that can't just be happy with 4 titles, and have to be nitpicky little broads, just because ESPN said a fact that didn't involve the Spurs.

well then toolbag, if you don't care to be around Spurs fans...LEAVE SPURSTALK. got a problem? LEAVE.

i didn't start this thread...i don't give a shit what BSPN says, so try thinking before you post. got problem with the topic? talk to the original poster.

BTW...4 championships, and two consecutive Mavs collapses since '99. I think we're doing pretty well over here, wouldn't you say?

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Drama sells. The media needs heroes, villains, and flawed characters. The Spurs have traditionally fallen into the latter category. Soft. Weak. Plenty of talent but no heart. Asterisk. When the Spurs were on their way to winning their 3rd title in 5 years the media tried a new schtick with the Spurs as villains.

Spurs fans, take it in stride. Stop worrying about this and certainly stop overthinking it. The media is amoral. They want viewers and hits. It's why the drama of the LA rapist is always front and center in sports news. The media also tries to keep things simple because the average American sports fan loves not to have to think that hard.

Kriz-Maxima
10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Espn doesnt care about true basketball, they care about hype, highlight reels and shoe selling stars. Why woud you care to get attention from them?

4 rings speak for themselves, thats all the promo the spurs will ever need.

stretch
10-11-2007, 10:01 AM
well then toolbag, if you don't care to be around Spurs fans...LEAVE SPURSTALK. got a problem? LEAVE.

i didn't start this thread...i don't give a shit what BSPN says, so try thinking before you post. got problem with the topic? talk to the original poster.

BTW...4 championships, and two consecutive Mavs collapses since '99. I think we're doing pretty well over here, wouldn't you say?
Geez, calm down there bub. Don't get your panties all bunched up so easily. I have no problem with Spurs fans. I just think its ridiculous when they (not just spurs fans, any fans) bitch and complain about ESPN... well... simply stating a fact, which makes it even more ridiculous to see them complaining. and if you truly don't care what ESPN says, then why would you reply to my very first post? It was obviously directed at the Spurs fans who were complaining about it.

BTW - Plenty of Spurs fans agree with me completely on this same topic, so again, I really don't see why you are getting all defensive and douchey over nothing, noob.

Jimcs50
10-11-2007, 11:56 AM

I have made that point at least 10 times in the last 9 years on the Spurs Forums...... They act just like my 11 women in my office. You can not compliment another without hearing "what about me"

:lol

bdubya
10-11-2007, 12:40 PM
He did?

Flip Saunders, more like. :depressed

ShoogarBear
10-11-2007, 08:50 PM
my 11 women in my office. The only reason he made that post.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-11-2007, 08:55 PM
:lol