PDA

View Full Version : 600-900 dollars to run an obituary in the Express-News

BacktoBasics
10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
You have got to be fucking shitting me. Thats fucking ridiculous, I had no idea that part of keeping a paper functional consisted of sucking the the last penny out of the dead. God fucking forbid it actually be affordable to print the last respects to our loved ones. I can run an add in the classifieds for less than 100 bucks but if I want to let people know my Grandmother passed away it will cost us more than fucking six times that amount. Fuck you people and your fucking outrageous charge. I'm calling again in a few hours just to make sure it wasn't some pissed off dumbfuck having a bad day. Very few times in my life am I surprised at the shit we have to deal with in our society but yeah I'm shocked right now.

desflood
10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Greedy little bastards, aren't they?

sa_butta
10-10-2007, 10:26 AM
That is fucking insane for an obituary. Shit Im telling my wife just send a fucking chain email and let it get around when I die.

BTW, sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Mixability
10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
That is fucking insane for an obituary. Shit Im telling my wife just send a fucking chain email and let it get around when I die.

BTW, sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Better yet, just have someone post a bulletin on myspace for you.

SpursWoman
10-10-2007, 11:04 AM
That must be without a picture. We paid more than that for my mom's obit ... it's incredible.

BacktoBasics
10-10-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't fucking get it. How in the fuck can you put an ad to sell something and it hardly cost anything but to run an obit its a fortune. This shit makes me sick.

thispego
10-10-2007, 11:17 AM
DONNELLY: Yes. I understand you're taking away the remains.

WALTER: Yeah.

DONNELLY: We have the urn.

DONNELLY: And I assume this is credit card?

WALTER: Yeah. What's this?

DONNELLY: That is for the urn.

WALTER: Don't need it. We're scattering the ashes.

DONNELLY: Yes, so we were informed. However, we must of course transmit the remains to you in a receptacle.

WALTER: This is a hundred and eighty dollars.

DONNELLY: Yes sir. It is our most modestly priced receptacle.

DUDE: Well can we--

WALTER: A hundred and eighty dollars?!

DONNELLY: They range up to three thousand.

WALTER: Yeah, but we're--

DUDE: Can we just rent it from you?

DONNELLY: Sir, this is a mortuary, not a rental house.

WALTER: We're scattering the fucking ashes!

DUDE: Walter--

WALTER: JUST BECAUSE WE'RE BEREAVED DOESN'T MEAN WE'RE SAPS!

DONNELLY: Sir, please lower your voice--

DUDE: Hey man, don't you have something else you could put it in?

DONNELLY: That is our most modestly priced receptacle.

WALTER: GODDAMNIT! IS THERE A RALPH'S AROUND HERE?!

http://infinitecoolness.com/galleries/lebowski/biglebowski39.jpg

Little Devil
10-10-2007, 12:55 PM
That's why I posted my grandmothers death in the travel section since she was going to hell.

lil'mo
10-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Why would anyone do an obituary anyways?
they're expensive because noone does them and noone does them cause they're too expensive. it's a vicious cycle.

Soul_Patch
10-10-2007, 01:59 PM
they're expensive because noone does them and noone does them cause they're too expensive. it's a vicious cycle.

fo real...if i am famous enough to be in the paper when i die, then you shouldnt need to run the ad yourself...i want front page bitch...

mookie2001
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
You have got to be fucking shitting me nope brah

i mean unless youre a district attorney

or a young prosecutor (the avg age of nyc city assistant DA is only 28 years old)*

*young prosector commericial

BigBeezie
10-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I can not believe how expensive it is... That should be against the law!

midgetonadonkey
10-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't want anyone to know if I died.

mookie2001
10-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't fucking get it. How in the fuck can you put an ad to sell something and it hardly cost anything but to run an obit its a fortune. This shit makes me sick.ask johnny blaze as a reporter hes done crime stories

MavTalker
10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Your Grandmother dies it's 600.00 dollars to have it in the paper. You shoot your grandmother in the head and it's in the paper for free? You guys live in a fucked up town!

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey, Mookie... is it true you told Whottt you wanted to kill me?

mookie2001
10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
no

whottts prowar

MavTalker
10-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey, Mookie... is it true you told Whottt you wanted to kill me?

I think that was president Truman who wanted you dead.

http://infocom.elsewhere.org/gallery/trinity/atom1.jpg

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/RM3.US.HIROSHIMA.MOM.JPG

BacktoBasics
10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Well its done. Small picture and brief tribute and verbage. Little over 600 dollars. I hope I never have to meet an Express News employee or I'm going to fucking meltdown like you guys have never seen.

lil'mo
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
why would you pay that? is it really worth it to have an obituary?

MavTalker
10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Well its done. Small picture and brief tribute and verbage. Little over 600 dollars. I hope I never have to meet an Express News employee or I'm going to fucking meltdown like you guys have never seen.

You should call the trouble shooters! or at least call KTSA's "what's got your goat?" on Friday 6:50-6:59
599-5555

http://karynhappuchn.esmartstudent.com/david%20lee%20roth.jpeg

BacktoBasics
10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
why would you pay that? is it really worth it to have an obituary?It was the right thing to do because she would have done the same thing for me had the situation been reversed. She had a lot of friends in SA over the years and we couldn't even begin to find all of them but if just a couple see the obit, and it sparks a fond memory of her, it was totally worth it.

Soul_Patch
10-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I dont think ive ever even lookd in the obituaries...ever...does this change when you get old enough that your friends start biting it? Is it sorta like reading the sports headlines from yesterdays games?

God i hope not...

No offense man, cause we all want to do what is right for our loved ones, but it just seems like a big waste of cash...especially for 600 fuckin dollars...jesus christ.

SpursWoman
10-10-2007, 03:31 PM
All old people read the obituaries....it starts about at age 50 or so.

And yeah, it's crazy-expensive, but the last thing you feel like doing when a love one passes away is calling 654654321654 people to pass on the funeral information, etc. And there were tons of people my mom knew that I had no clue existed that found out through the obituary, and came to the funeral or sent cards or flowers or made donations in her name.

And I think the paper takes advantage of that ... to get their cut of any life insurance proceeds. I posted a pretty long advertisement for a garage sale one time and it only cost me about $30. :fro

lil'mo
10-10-2007, 03:47 PM
It was the right thing to do because she would have done the same thing for me had the situation been reversed. She had a lot of friends in SA over the years and we couldn't even begin to find all of them but if just a couple see the obit, and it sparks a fond memory of her, it was totally worth it.
sensible reason
i like MavTalkers suggestion if it's already said and done

boutons_
10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
When I showed my first version of my mother's obit to the funeral director, he said it would run way over $1000. I cut it WAY down, submitted it directly to E-N via email. Was still $400 total, including $108 for the photo.

Hearst newspaper charge obits like classifiied ads.

50 cent
10-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Do people still actually read newspapers? I don't really think so.