PDA

View Full Version : Sanikdize will play in Germany this year

Bruno
10-10-2007, 09:41 AM
http://www.gbf.ge/news.php?m=news&lang=eng#

2007-10-03
Sanikidze to play in Koeln 99ers

A member of Georgian National Team, forward Viktor Sanikidze will play in German side Koeln 99ers. Viktor wants to join a team, where he would have a solid time on the floor. The last season for Viktor, was in Spanish side Estudiantes.

Sanikidze's new team was formed in 1999 and since 2001 is a member of German Bundesliga. Team became a champion in 2006, while also is a triple holder of German Cup (2004, 2005, 2007). Last season Koeln 99ers played in Euroleague and won 2 games out of 14.

Bruno
10-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Koln 99ers players :
http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/verein.php?menuid=2&topmenu=270&keepmenu=inactive&teamid=431

Sanikdze will play the German league called BBL :
http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/index.php
He will too play the ULEB cup :
http://www.ulebcup.com/ulebcup/competition/teams/showteam?clubcode=COL

Darkwaters
10-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Hes playing in Cologne? Cool, I have some friends that live there. I HAD been thinking about visiting anyways...maybe it would be fun to catch a game?

Streakyshooter08
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Interesting.

ducks
10-10-2007, 10:03 AM
well lets hope he plays and stays healthy

ThomasGranger
10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
So, is this a good thing for Sanikidze and (more importantly) the Spurs?

Darkwaters
10-10-2007, 10:11 AM
So, is this a good thing for Sanikidze and (more importantly) the Spurs?

Most likely. Sanikidze wasn't getting much playing time on Estudiantes' roster. Hes a young guy that needs time on the court to realize some of that laden potential. While German leagues are typically inferior to most European equivalents it still means more time with the ball in his hands. So yes, I'd say it's a good thing.

Bruno
10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Shame on me, I have mistyped Sanikidze name in the title of this thread. :depressed

If Sanikidze can get some playtime with Köln, its a good move. He will too play the ULEB cup against quite good teams.
It will be too interesting to know the length of his contract.

Mr. Body
10-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Cologne is a great city.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
That's a pretty good level of play for him. Should get some minutes.

Ocotillo
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the VK update.

Streakyshooter08
10-15-2007, 03:39 AM
Hey Bruno. Is this really legit? The season has started over here and his name isn't even on the roster. I also could not find anything in the News section. I wonder if the signing was official. If he will join the team I am probably gonna see him live on November 24th.

Bruno
10-15-2007, 04:47 AM
The source (Georgian BB federation official website) seems kinda solid but I haven't too seen something on Köln 99ers website. I don't think it's official for the moment.

IMO, Sanikidze was in Georgia and told his federation that he will go in Germany to sign with Köln. Köln will make the signing official when he will be in Germany, has passed his physical and has bought out/canceled his contract with Estudiantes Madrid. It's too possible that something has failed.

Curtis Sumpter, who was Köln starting SF, has done a Spanoulis few days ago and has gone back in USA because of "Heimweh". I don't know how if it's really related with Sanikidze signing because they could sign Sanikidze to be a backup.

Streakyshooter08
10-15-2007, 04:55 AM
The source (Georgian BB federation official website) seems kinda solid but I haven't too seen something on Köln 99ers website. I don't think it's official for the moment.

IMO, Sanikidze was in Georgia and told his federation that he will go in Germany to sign with Köln. Köln will make the signing official when he will be in Germany, has passed his physical and has bought out/canceled his contract with Estudiantes Madrid. It's too possible that something has failed.

Curtis Sumpter, who was Köln starting SF, has done a Spanoulis few days ago and has gone back in USA because of "Heimweh". I don't know how if it's really related with Sanikidze signing because they could sign Sanikidze to be a backup.

Okay. I'll let you know if I hear something official. I was really looking forward to see him next month just to get an idea what he looks like on the court. I was just confused because I could not find anything about him on the website. Cologne has a hart time this year. They are winnless. So it would be interesing if he could help them win some games.

mountainballer
10-15-2007, 05:50 AM
I think, after Sumpter left the team, Cologne did talk to different players, including Sanikidze.
but I'm not sure, that cologne will be looking for exactly the type of player he is.
the team is already very young and this summer they have added forward Marko Keselj, a 19 years old talent, who (like Sanikidze) spend last season in Spain, where he didn't play much.
Keselj looked good in the first games, the question will be, if Cologne doesn't look for a more expirienced SF than Sanikidze.
however, Cologne does have a very interesting young coach, Sasa Obradovic (don't confuse names with Zeljko Obradovich, the great Panathinaikos coach). Obradovic was for many years a member of the very successful Yugoslavian team and started his coaching career two years ago, winning the German championship with Cologne his his first year and the German Cup last season. a good coach is never a bad thing for a young player, if Sanikidze in fact signed with Cologne.

picnroll
10-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I think this has been discussed but if Sanikiddze is not playing for a team can the Spurs draft him in the D league draft and he play for the Toros without signing him?

ChumpDumper
10-15-2007, 01:13 PM
I think this has been discussed but if Sanikiddze is not playing for a team can the Spurs draft him in the D league draft and he play for the Toros without signing him?That's the $64,000 question. I can't think of a precedent of a draft pick's being drafted by a team's D-League affiliate -- I don't even know of any unsigned draft picks actually making themselves available for the D-League draft. Ricky Sanchez played for the Idaho D-League team while his rights were held by the Nuggets, but his minor-league rights were grandfathered in from the CBA.

I've said this before, but I like watching myself post -- there is a small chance the Spurs can get Viktor allocated to the Toros. They've done their part by signing a full roster, so they have an argument if the players' union objects, and the very experimental approach Stern has taken to the D-League makes me think the Spurs could get him to try this out for at least one season before the NBA and the NBPA codify the rules.

A guy like Viktor really needs a training camp and the US minor leagues are among the few that haven't yet started.

barbacoataco
10-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info.

mystargtr34
10-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Hey Bruno... in what division is ... i think its Kicks Munich??? My coach this season got a one-year-deal with them

Bruno
10-16-2007, 05:08 AM
Hey Bruno... in what division is ... i think its Kicks Munich??? My coach this season got a one-year-deal with them

They are currently in the third division but they were in the fourth division few years ago.
Just give me the name of your coach or the year when he was training them and I will try to give you a more accurate answer.

Bruno
10-24-2007, 08:16 AM
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20071024_No_meaningless_games_now.html

Indications were that the just-waived Derrick Byars could land with a team in Cologne, Germany, where Stefan Beck, a long-ago Sixers free-agent guard candidate, is the general manager. Former Villanova star Curtis Sumpter was listed on the Cologne roster earlier, but has since left the team.

I guess it means that Sanikidze won't play with Cologne this year.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20071024_No_meaningless_games_now.html

I guess it means that Sanikidze won't play with Cologne this year.

Why? The team can play both Byars and Sanikidze, right?

I actually kind of like that arrangement. I think Byars could be a great NBA player and if hes on the same team as Viktor then maybe the Spurs will notice his potential. It's the old Scola/Splitter situation.

Bruno
10-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Why? The team can play both Byars and Sanikidze, right?

They can but I'm not sure that they want to sign both. You have to consider playtime and money.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
They can but I'm not sure that they want to sign both. You have to consider playtime and money.

Who else do they have at the 2/3? Surely they can play both. Besides, doesn't Sanikidze mostly play the 4 over in Europe? Surely we're not concerned that Byars will be logging big minutes in the post.

Bruno
10-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Who else do they have at the 2/3? Surely they can play both. Besides, doesn't Sanikidze mostly play the 4 over in Europe? Surely we're not concerned that Byars will be logging big minutes in the post.

Sanikidze play PF with the georgian NT. He played SF with Dijon in 04-05. With Estudiantes, he didn't play but if I remember well he was playing SF.

For the rest, I don't know well enough Cologne team and its player to tell you if they could give PT to Sanikidze and Byars. However Cologne local newspaper was saying last week that the name of the new player will be known before Wednesday (today). We are on Wednesday and we learn that Byars should sign with them soon. It doesn't look good for Sanikidze given that the info that he will sign with Cologne is still 13 days old.

ThomasGranger
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
If Sanikidze is the odd man out on the roster and hasn't signed a contract yet, can the Spurs bring him over to play on the Toros?

ChumpDumper
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
If Sanikidze is the odd man out on the roster and hasn't signed a contract yet, can the Spurs bring him over to play on the Toros?
Technically, I think they could pull it off. The D-League draft is next Thursday and usually two players are allocated to each team without being drafted. Traditionally those players have some kind of local ties to the team -- last season there were two former UT players allocated to the Toros -- but I think that could be done with Viktor. The biggest obstacle I see could be the players' union, but they often don't give a crap about players who aren't yet in the league.

Bruno
10-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Sanikidze is too still under contract with Estudiantes.
If he wants to play in D-League, Estudiantes must release him for free and Sanikidze must accept to go in D-League where he will likely have a lower salary than in Spain.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-24-2007, 01:51 PM
If he want Spurs job he need experiences in Euroleague not ULEB Cup or especially Bundesliga that very poor league.

He need at least go to team in Spain, Greece, Italy, Russia domestic leagues or something.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Sanikidze is too still under contract with Estudiantes.
If he wants to play in D-League, Estudiantes must release him for free and Sanikidze must accept to go in D-League where he will likely have a lower salary than in Spain.That's funny. Is he still being paid by them?

Bruno
10-24-2007, 02:21 PM
That's funny. Is he still being paid by them?

I don't know if he is still paid.
In July or august, a German team (likely Cologne) was interested in Sanikidze but they didn't get him because Estudiantes wanted money as compensation.
Given that Sanikidze hasn't found a taker, they are maybe now ready to release him for free but it's not sure.

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Technically, I think they could pull it off. The D-League draft is next Thursday and usually two players are allocated to each team without being drafted. Traditionally those players have some kind of local ties to the team -- last season there were two former UT players allocated to the Toros -- but I think that could be done with Viktor. The biggest obstacle I see could be the players' union, but they often don't give a crap about players who aren't yet in the league.I wonder what would happen if the Toros draft Sanikidze. I doubt they are allowed to but maybe they could try :lol

The rules of the NBDL are so messed up it's not only difficult to understand, it severely limits the value of an NBA owning a franchise. Hopefully in the next five years steps are taken to make it a true minor leagues instead of this hybrid set of jumbled rules it is now.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
What are they worried about making true minor leagues?

The big teams having too good of minor leagues?

Cause, in the majors, thats not true one bit.

You have to have good scouts and good resources.

The Spurs excel at scouting (except in america).

nfg3
10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm confused. The Spurs draft him, believing that he has good potential, and let him develope in Europe but he doesn't get that much playing time. He plays for his national team and does OK at times to pretty good from what I've heard since I really haven't kept up with all his stats. He now has a hard time latching on to a team and if he does is considered a backup. Yet he played decently in the summer league for us. I remember some were excited about this kid.

So what's with this guy? Is this guy going to pan out? Is he a 2 - 3 year project that needs PT in order to breakout and show what's he got?

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Is he a 2 - 3 year project that needs PT in order to breakout and show what's he got?

Pretty much. The most intriguing aspect of his game is his physical characteristics. The best way I've heard him described is as a "poor man's Andrei Kirilenko" (credit Timvp). Hes long, can shoot the long ball decently, crashes the boards, runs the floor like a gazelle, plays gritty defense and seems eager to please. Plus, hes still really young and can play either forward spot. Outside of Tiago Splitter, hes definitely our best foreign prospect (not that we have many left anymore). The fact that he fills a position of need (and in exactly the right way) is simply a bonus.

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:53 PM
The best way I've heard him described is as a "poor man's Andrei Kirilenko" (credit Timvp). Hes long, can shoot the long ball decently, crashes the boards, runs the floor like a gazelle, plays gritty defense and seems eager to please

Good lord, him on the team next year along with mahinmi, and Splitter would be one fast fun team to watch.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
I wonder what would happen if the Toros draft Sanikidze. I doubt they are allowed to but maybe they could try :lol

The rules of the NBDL are so messed up it's not only difficult to understand, it severely limits the value of an NBA owning a franchise. Hopefully in the next five years steps are taken to make it a true minor leagues instead of this hybrid set of jumbled rules it is now.I don't think they are terribly messed up, but it is a work in progress and some things just haven't been addressed yet that should be, namely the Toros/D-Fenders being able to sign a parent team's second rounder and the parent teams' having some right of first refusal on their regular D-League players. I think it's a good time to press the issue with Viktor, barring some stupid buyout from the Spanish team. If one thinks about it, accommodating the Lakers and Spurs is the best thing for the D-League's legitimacy and continued expansion, as it should lead to more teams buying their own D-League squads.

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know if the spurs are as high on Sank. as we are? I never hear any stmts or opinions on Victor from the front office. I forgot, how old is victor?

T Park
10-24-2007, 05:06 PM
I forgot, how old is victor?

like 21 or 22 I think.

ThomasGranger
10-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I haven't had a chance to see either Sanikidze or Williams play, but based on their stat lines during the summer league games (and in Williams's case, the preseason) it seems like Sanikidze is a bit further along in his development, no?

T Park
10-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Sanikidze is a way better overall player than Williams no question.

Plus hes been playin pro ball for a while while Williams just came out of college.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I haven't had a chance to see either Sanikidze or Williams play, but based on their stat lines during the summer league games (and in Williams's case, the preseason) it seems like Sanikidze is a bit further along in his development, no?

Both players are fairly raw, but I would definitely argue that Sanikidze is pretty seriously more advanced than Williams in many ways. But the reason why most people are high on Viktor is not how refined he is, but simply his physical attributes. The guy has the height and length of a post player but runs the floor and has the footspeed of a guard. Frankly, he has all the tools to be a quality "dirty work" guy that can defend and rebound at a nice clip. The fact that he has a developing 3 point game just adds fuel to the fire.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Of course, the best thing about Viktor Sanikidze is that he currently looks like a homeless guy sitting on the bench. His long raggedy hair and scraggly beard make him look completely legit. I just think that if you could put a guy that looks like an eastern European homeless man out on the court with Tim Duncan and STILL win games then that just goes to bolster Timmy's legacy.

T Park
10-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Of course, the best thing about Viktor Sanikidze is that he currently looks like a homeless guy sitting on the bench. His long raggedy hair and scraggly beard make him look completely legit. I just think that if you could put a guy that looks like an eastern European homeless man out on the court with Tim Duncan and STILL win games then that just goes to bolster Timmy's legacy.

If hed shave the hair and beard down, the dude looks just like Kevin Federline.

No joke.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
If hed shave the hair and beard down, the dude looks just like Kevin Federline.

No joke.

So, hes a homeless Kevin Federline?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/01/150px-Viktor_Sanikidze.jpghttp://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20061018/244.federline.kevin.101806.jpg

nfg3
10-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Well I guess "project" it is and from the comments about his physical attributes I sure hope he gets the PT where ever that may be. If it is with the Torops that would be nice so that the Spurs could keep a closer eye on his development. But this guy just needs to go out and play his ass off.

TDMVPDPOY
10-25-2007, 01:07 AM
i think i prefer him here than williams + beno

objective
10-25-2007, 02:10 AM
Another worthwhile comparison would be a 'poor man's Tayshaun Prince'

Darkwaters
10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Another worthwhile comparison would be a 'poor man's Tayshaun Prince'

Yea, I like that comparison. It eliminates the choke factor that Kirilenko carries with him. It's like when people compare Petteri Koponen with Beno Udrih. They don't really mean Koponen is a slothful disdainful puke, more than he resembles Beno's game.

timvp
10-29-2007, 07:00 PM
The Spurs now have the roster spot and the cap room to bring in Sanikidze thanks to the Beno trade. Sanikidze can be signed without the Spurs going over the luxury tax threshold.

Get this done.

Sanikidze >>>>>>>>>> Beno >>> Carrawell > Williams

:hungry:

Holt's Cat
10-29-2007, 07:04 PM
The Spurs now have the roster spot and the cap room to bring in Sanikidze thanks to the Beno trade. Sanikidze can be signed without the Spurs going over the luxury tax threshold.

Get this done.

Sanikidze >>>>>>>>>> Beno >>> Carrawell > Williams

:hungry:

Works for me.

objective
10-30-2007, 02:26 AM
I am with timvp 100%.

Sanikidze is the perfect candidate right now. Cheap, young, long SF prospect who doesn't have much going on right now across the ocean.

Sanikidze made his presence known on the court in the summer league, unlike Williams who was like the invisible man out there.