PDA

View Full Version : Car Shopping

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm starting to think about buying my own coche after starting the j-o-b this upcoming Monday. My parents have outright said they feel more comfortable with my driving a small SUV or cross over SUV. I'm thinking of spending between 15-23,000 on 2007 or 2008. I will have to buy automatic (I can't do it any other way for some reasons) and would like to get the power windows, locks, etc., if possible. I was also hoping to use the incentives / rebates as a down payment.

So far I've looked into:

Hyundai Tucson
Nissan Rogue
Kia Sportage
Suzuki Grand Vitara and a combination of the
Jeep Compass/Patriot

What kinds of small SUVs/ cross overs do you all have experience with? What should I look for? How about warranties? What about dealerships in San Antonio? Any tips on dealing with sales people? (I'll be taking the parents with me, of course...)

leemajors
10-10-2007, 04:23 PM
if it's just you, get a 30+ mpg 2 door sedan.

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 04:26 PM
if it's just you, get a 30+ mpg 2 door sedan.

I may be hauling stuff around eventually. I want the space.

leemajors
10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
if you need to haul stuff around, get a pickup. small suv's can't haul shit.

TheAuthority
10-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Civic

Mixability
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
have you even started the job yet?

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 04:54 PM
if you need to haul stuff around, get a pickup. small suv's can't haul shit.

point taken. I want something small, but efficient that may be able to handle an eventual move to an apartment/house. Where I could put more then a few boxes in. With an SUV you could put more then that.

Civic

The newer ones are over $25,000 :( That was one of my first choices.

have you even started the job yet?

I'm not buying yet...the subject was "car shopping."

And with college graduate programs you don't need the "proof" of employment for 120 days.

ducks
10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
buy the car at the end of the month
car people have to meet their quota and will do anything to get a sale at the end of the month
dress like you are on a date and it will help to

Viva Las Espuelas
10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
if it's just you, get a 30+ mpg 2 door sedan.38DD's, dude.

ducks
10-10-2007, 04:57 PM
ford escapes?

leemajors
10-10-2007, 04:57 PM
if you are going to move soon, just rent a u-haul when you do. get everything at once.

ducks
10-10-2007, 04:58 PM
if you are going to move soon, just rent a u-haul when you do. get everything at once.
I think she needs it for her job

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 05:00 PM
car people have to meet their quota and will do anything to get a sale at the end of the month
dress like you are on a date and it will help to[/QUOTE

[QUOTE=ducks]ford escapes?

:tu sounds like a plan.

The escapes looked a little too pricey. I looked at those for a little bit.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I may be hauling stuff around eventually.oh. you will be.

Extra Stout
10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I may be hauling stuff around eventually. I want the space.
Unless you need more than 50 cubic feet of cargo space, buy a hatchback. Otherwise, among those you listed the Nissan, Hyundai, and Kia are the better chocies.

The Suzuki is a lesser option.

The Jeep Compass/Patriot is absolute garbage. I rode in one as a rental and felt insulted as an American that Chrysler would produce such a car expecting people to buy it.

Other options include the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner/Mazda Tribute (decent), Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent (mediocre yet pricey), Honda CR-V (if Oprah were a car she would be a CR-V), Toyota RAV4 (good choice), and Saturn VUE (upscale but porky).

ducks
10-10-2007, 05:03 PM
you might be able to spend more if you buy a 2007 that is new if you qualify for no interest

ducks
10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
kia's loose their value like crazy

Extra Stout
10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Also note that if you have done your shopping properly, you will have your vehicle chosen, with price and terms negotiated, before you arrive at the dealership to collect your car. If you show up at the dealership expecting them to educate you how to buy your car, they will screw you out of thousands of dollars.

ducks
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Toyota RAV4?

or on your list I would buy the nissan

BushDynasty
10-10-2007, 05:06 PM
You know that if you buy a Civic Hybrid my good friends at the IRS will give you $2100, right?

Not sure where you come off saying regular Civics are $25K; go to Gunn Honda, they have a bunch for $20K and under with automatics. See http://www.gunnhonda.com/search/search.php

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 05:06 PM
The Suzuki is a lesser option.

The Jeep Compass/Patriot is absolute garbage. I rode in one as a rental and felt insulted as an American that Chrysler would produce such a car expecting people to buy it.

Other options include the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner/Mazda Tribute (decent), Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent (mediocre yet pricey), Honda CR-V (if Oprah were a car she would be a CR-V), Toyota RAV4 (good choice), and Saturn VUE (upscale but porky).

Thanks! I was really looking for something like that. I saw a Compass today on my way home from shopping and checked it out and thought it may be a good option, but after that I guess not. The Grand Vitara was always a choice of mine from the start, but maybe not? The other ones you mentioned, the Tribute, Vue and perhaps a Nor Cal style CR-V may be added to the list.

I just don't seem to like the look of a hatchback, but I may have to take another look at those, they are so much less pricey then anything else.

ducks
10-10-2007, 05:08 PM
there is some dealers that you can go to their site and you can talk to the internet guy from them and they put you on the rock bottom price
they know you are computer smart and just put you on the money

if you buy a new one tell them you will pay them a dollar over the invoice they so you. They still make money with their holdback.

Extra Stout
10-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Toyota RAV4?

or on your list I would buy the nissan
I would too. The Rogue offers a lot for the money.

Useruser666
10-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Go here ---> http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

Go through the site carefully. Print out all the info about any vehicle you're interested in and keep it in a folder. Go to www.edmunds.com and print out all of the prices for the vehicles as well as the costs for any and all options that can come with them. Take this folder with you when you go looking for cars. It is also to take a friend with you when you shop. Let them play devils advocate. NEVER BUY A CAR ON THE FIRST VISIT TO A LOT!!!!!!!!! Sleep on it! Ask your friends the next day.

Again check out the website at the top.

ducks
10-10-2007, 05:14 PM
RAV4 Base
$21,100 MSRP [1]

RAV4 Sport
$22,675 MSRP [1]

RAV4 Limited
$23,355 MSRP [1]

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Go here ---> http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

Go through the site carefully. Print out all the info about any vehicle you're interested in and keep it in a folder. Go to www.edmunds.com and print out all of the prices for the vehicles as well as the costs for any and all options that can come with them. Take this folder with you when you go looking for cars. It is also to take a friend with you when you shop. Let them play devils advocate. NEVER BUY A CAR ON THE FIRST VISIT TO A LOT!!!!!!!!! Sleep on it! Ask your friends the next day.

Again check out the website at the top.

Thanks for those websites. I've checked out edmunds for some reviews already and may even bookmark it for awhile.

leemajors
10-10-2007, 05:20 PM
also, buying a new car is a horrible investment - they depreciate a lot when driven off the lot. certified used cars, especially something like a leaser returned earlier are a bit better investment and still carry warranties. the depreciation of an SUV when driven off the lot can be sickening.

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 05:23 PM
also, buying a new car is a horrible investment - they depreciate a lot when driven off the lot. certified used cars, especially something like a leaser returned earlier are a bit better investment and still carry warranties. the depreciation of an SUV when driven off the lot can be sickening.

That's already been taken into consideration. I'm taking advantage of the "graduate" financing and end of the year incentives and whatnot for the time.

SpursWoman
10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I love my XTerra, so the Rogue really appeals to me ... at least what I've seen on commercials.

SequSpur
10-10-2007, 06:15 PM
dress like you are on a date and it will help to

you really are a fucking retard if you believe that.

I just bought a 2008 Ford Escape Limited and it's frickin nice. We've gone to the beach 10 times in that mofo and it handles well...

It is not very big, so you can't really haul shit in it. You can fit a couple of suitcases, a cooler and a few chairs, that's all unless you fold down the seats.

I would go to each website, like ford, honda, whatever and build your own and then submit a quote request. You get past the bullshit sales cunts that attack you when you pull in the parking lot and play the payment game. It let's you know a price upfront, any deals available, etc.

Ducks, stick to tiddly winks you dipshit.

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 06:30 PM
You probably would love the Rogue SW, it's pretty awesome on the insideand everything. From what I read it's just a smalelr version of the Murano.

Did you get a kids incentive on the Escape Sequ?

All kidding aside, thanks for letting me know what kind of trips y'all have gone on and how its held up.

ducks
10-10-2007, 06:33 PM

I just bought a 2008 Ford Escape Limited and it's frickin nice. We've gone to the beach 10 times in that mofo and it handles well...

It is not very big, so you can't really haul shit in it. You can fit a couple of suitcases, a cooler and a few chairs, that's all unless you fold down the seats.

I would go to each website, like ford, honda, whatever and build your own and then submit a quote request. You get past the bullshit sales cunts that attack you when you pull in the parking lot and play the payment game. It let's you know a price upfront, any deals available, etc.

Dude I sold cars for 3 years
I know the game SHUT THE FUCK UP
ESCAPES ARE NICE I SUGGESTED IT TO HER SHE SAID TO EXPESIVE

Nbadan
10-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Till Fords offer a 100K power-train warranty standard, like Chevy, I would stay away....Hyundai is a good economical choice, Nissans scare me, but I've owned 2 trucks with no problems...surprisingly the truck I did have problems with was a Toyota - twice....

E20
10-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Buy an X5.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Did anyone else picture "Chop" speaking like Ducks?

ploto
10-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Hate to rain on the parades, but you should not be buying a new car. You have massive college debt and are just starting your first job. It won't kill you to drive an older car for a while and surely you should have one that gets good mileage and cheaper insurance rates.

Jekka
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Hate to rain on the parades,
No you don't.

but you should not be buying a new car. You have massive college debt and are just starting your first job. It won't kill you to drive an older car for a while and surely you should have one that gets good mileage and cheaper insurance rates.
How do you know what her debt is like? A lot of people's parents take care of undergrad debt if they can afford to, maybe she doesn't owe anything. Maybe her new job is going to pay her enough for her to be able to make an investment to build up credit. While defending Ashbeeigh is not on my list of top ten things to do on any day, it really irritates me when people tell other people what they "should" be doing with their money when they aren't privy to the entire context. Perhaps it was friendly advice, but if that's the case then it was rather ill-phrased.

duncan228
10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Hate to rain on the parades, but you should not be buying a new car. You have massive college debt and are just starting your first job. It won't kill you to drive an older car for a while and surely you should have one that gets good mileage and cheaper insurance rates.

I agree.
It's easy when you can buy a new car not to see the downside.
College loans are hard enough to deal with in your first job. That, along with food, rent, daily basics, should be enough to start with.
As ploto said, the insurance will be way less on a used car.

Get settled in your job. Pay your bills on time so you build good credit.
Put the money you'd use for a car payment in the bank.
Let it grow.
In a couple of years you'll probably have a better job, more income, and a downpayment to get the best financing on a new car.

The worst mistakes I made in my 20's was with money.
I learned the hard way to think ahead.
Just because you want it, just because you can do it, doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do.

Thunder Dan
10-10-2007, 09:07 PM

truer words have never been spoken. My family owns 2 Chevy dealerships in the Cleveland area and we always try to tell people that leasing is the way to go if you are strickly looking new

But I would drive a slightly used car. I know certified GMs have 100,000 warranties

SequSpur
10-10-2007, 09:15 PM
No you don't.

How do you know what her debt is like? A lot of people's parents take care of undergrad debt if they can afford to, maybe she doesn't owe anything. Maybe her new job is going to pay her enough for her to be able to make an investment to build up credit. While defending Ashbeeigh is not on my list of top ten things to do on any day, it really irritates me when people tell other people what they "should" be doing with their money when they aren't privy to the entire context. Perhaps it was friendly advice, but if that's the case then it was rather ill-phrased.

Yeah!

And Ducks, you couldn't sell a match box car to a ged carrying special ed student you dunce cap.

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 09:27 PM
No you don't.

Thanks for that, Jekka. I know we aren't always on the same foot, but thanks for defending me.

The used vs. used debate is an issue. At first I was thinking of only used, but rebates/incentives have me leaning more towards the new route because of the "recent graduate" programs I have seen. They help finance, push back the payment dates for about three months and have good rates.

My budget is set, for now. I'm not going to spend a million dollars on this thing. I have everything written down and know exactly where I stand. If you want to know how much my bills are per month, PM me.

The other things y'all have said have already been taken into consideration. I'm "car shopping" not buying, yet. I have every intention of saving a few pay checks before buying. This is a process. I'm not going to go out tomorrow and buy a car. I was just asking for opinions, mainly on the cars and dealers, but the whole "too young, etc" thing is fine too.

ploto
10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
SHE has told us many times of her $40,000 in college debt, HER responsibility to pay for it, and HER difficulty in finding a job. So until YOU know the context, you can STFU.

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 09:34 PM
SHE has told us many times of her $40,000 in college debt, HER responsibility to pay for it, and HER difficulty in finding a job. So until YOU know the context, you can STFU.

I appreciate the concern. I've taken my loans into account with this situation as well. I haven't missed a credit card payment/loan payment in my life. I will be making the payments and the cars that have been mentioned are within my budget.

Spurfect
10-10-2007, 09:35 PM
hey ashbeeigh, i know this is off topic but.. congrats on the new job! what kind of job is it? I just barely started a new job this past Monday as well. it's going great so far

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 09:39 PM
hey ashbeeigh, i know this is off topic but.. congrats on the new job! what kind of job is it? I just barely started a new job this past Monday as well. it's going great so far

It's a telecommunications sales thing. It should give me the "experience" I was lacking.

I'm glad to hear you found something too!

SequSpur
10-10-2007, 09:39 PM
T M I

ashbeeigh
10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
T M I

we can put a password on the thread if you'd like.

ploto
10-10-2007, 09:44 PM
http://www.suzeorman.com/photolibrary/product_YFB_book.jpg

tlongII
10-10-2007, 10:08 PM

Actually it's true. You can get a better deal when buying at the end of the month. The dealer has quotas to meet and bonuses are dependent upon number of units sold.

Das Texan
10-10-2007, 10:10 PM
the best thing is this...

ashbeigh got a fucking job and hopefully wont be annoying us every 3 seconds.

i wont buy a used car anymore unless its a classic, but thats just me.

Beno Udrih
10-10-2007, 10:22 PM
No you don't.

:rolleyes Gay. She's just giving advice in a thread were the OP is asking for it.

Jekka
10-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Student deals rock. I got a student deal on my Civic that I've had for seven years and 106,000 miles - it's automatic locks, but not auto windows. The car has been running great and I've never felt like I've needed a bigger car. Most smaller cars have much more trunk space than you would think. My family has had really good experiences with Honda (my Civic, my sister's CR-V, my mom's Accord, and the Acura she had for about ten years before that), and you don't have to get the most expensive package to have a good car that's going to last a long time.

Wow, belligerent is not a pretty color on you :lol

SequSpur
10-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Actually it's true. You can get a better deal when buying at the end of the month. The dealer has quotas to meet and bonuses are dependent upon number of units sold.

BS, its a sales tactic. You might think you are getting it cheaper but in actuality its no different than the deal on the 1st of the month.

What if the dealership's month end for sales goals is the 10th? They are just pulling your leg.

ducks
10-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah!

And Ducks, you couldn't sell a match box car to a ged carrying special ed student you dunce cap.
dude I was top salesman for 3 years
workedfor the ford dealership in florida

ducks
10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
BS, its a sales tactic. You might think you are getting it cheaper but in actuality its no different than the deal on the 1st of the month.

What if the dealership's month end for sales goals is the 10th? They are just pulling your leg.

my manager would make a deal at the end of the month just to do the deal

the salesman makes a bonus on how many he sells
if he is about to go to the next level the salesman works the manager more to
and the deal gets done
YOU have no Idea on what the hell you are talking about

the first day of the month is not the day to buy a car

ducks
10-11-2007, 10:14 AM

why do you not stick to talking about bowling you might know something about that

ploto
10-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Wow, belligerent is not a pretty color on you :lol
Sorry it went over your head.

Do you even see the hypocrisy of telling someone that it is wrong for them to tell someone else what to do when what you are dong is telling THAT person what they should or should not do.

People who ask for advice should not get mad when people give it. If you don't want input, then ask no questions on an internet forum.

People are STUPID with money- plain and simple. And as for SUV's, I am sick of seeing one person drive around in a big gas guzzler that causes wrecks, pollutes the air, and is completely unnecessary. A 22 year old single female who just graduated from college, is in awful debt, lives at her parent's house, and is working a phone sales job does not need a $25,000 new SUV. It is a stupid, unnecessary purchase. The problem with people in this country is they have no clue how to save money. They throw way too much money at the cars they purchase.

leemajors
10-11-2007, 12:08 PM
telesales jobs suck, and have a very high turnover rate. better to wait more than a few months, you may find yourself between jobs soon.

PM5K
10-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Sorry it went over your head.

Do you even see the hypocrisy of telling someone that it is wrong for them to tell someone else what to do when what you are dong is telling THAT person what they should or should not do.

People who ask for advice should not get mad when people give it. If you don't want input, then ask no questions on an internet forum.

People are STUPID with money- plain and simple. And as for SUV's, I am sick of seeing one person drive around in a big gas guzzler that causes wrecks, pollutes the air, and is completely unnecessary. A 22 year old single female who just graduated from college, is in awful debt, lives at her parent's house, and is working a phone sales job does not need a $25,000 new SUV. It is a stupid, unnecessary purchase. The problem with people in this country is they have no clue how to save money. They throw way too much money at the cars they purchase.

Damn, Jekka got totally 0wned, especially when she said he didn't know about her situation when he clearly had a better idea than she thought he did.

You forgot to mention it's a job she hasn't even started, a job she's not excited about starting, and a job she has no intention of keeping long term...

ashbeeigh
10-11-2007, 12:29 PM

I'm only quoting your post because it puts everyones thoughts in one paragraph. I'm "shopping." I'm not buying yet. I was asking for opinions. And obviously, that's what you think. Perhaps I'll end up with some $8,000 2002 Chevy Malibu with 135,000 miles that will need to be replaced in a year. Who knows. I see your side, I understand it. I even lean towards it. I never said I was going to spend $25,000, probably closer to $20,0000. I would never buy a 11/18 car. That is lame. I'm not that environmentally unfriendly or unconscious of my wallet. I've said it plenty of times, my budget is set. I know where I stand, and I know where everyone who is against my "shopping" stands. Not until I come back with a bump and say "Look at my new car!" can the actual bashing start, imo.

ashbeeigh
10-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I honestly was not asking for financial advice in this thread. I was more asking for advice on the vehicles and dealerships. I'm glad it was kept on topic. Thanks for the help, it was much appreciated, y'all. I just don't need to be defending my decisions or reasons. I just asked a few questions.

Extra Stout
10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
When I was fresh out of school, I bought a new car for $18,000 (back in 1999). It is a decision I regret, even though the price I paid was about $4000 off sticker. That $330/month car payment didn't exactly break me, since I only had $8,000 in college debt, but I essentially threw away at least $6,000 given that the vehicle was larger than what I really needed, and that a used vehicle a couple of years old, which already would have depreciated, would have served my needs at least as well. A wiser friend who bought an old compact pickup and drove it around for a few years ended up in a better financial situation when he got married years later.

Buying a new car is a decision frequently made by college graduates. It fills a psychological perception of a certain rite of passage. But rarely is it a wise choice.

"I've already taken that into account in my budget."

The question is not so much whether a person can make the payments. The question is whether such a purchase is the best use of available resources. In the specific case of a college graduate, it would be wiser to make the early amortization of college debt a higher priority, since those payments can be a real limiting factor several years down the road when trying to save for a house and for children.

"But I plan on keeping it for several years."

A two-year old, smaller vehicle also can be kept for several more years until one's needs change. The issue is that early amortization of a large debt starting right now continues to pay out for years because of the interest saved. Many people get into the trap of thinking short-term, "can I pay my bills every month?" The more mature way of thinking incorporates long-term considerations, i.e. "how much am I going to end up paying for this in total?"

It took me until my late 20's to start to understand that my ability to afford something I want is not in and of itself justification to buy it, and that saving seemingly small amounts years in the past pays me back many times over today.

Oh, Gee!!
10-11-2007, 12:40 PM
take public transportation instead

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Well said, ES.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Many buy a new vehicle ultimately to impress someone else. It's an American obsession. Another obsession is name brands. BMW and Benz have all but diluted theirs in the US with their $30K compacts.

duncan228
10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
It took me until my late 20's to start to understand that my ability to afford something I want is not in and of itself justification to buy it, and that saving seemingly small amounts years in the past pays me back many times over today.

Same here.
Your entire post was well said but I think this is the bottom line.
In your early 20's it's very hard to seriously think about the future.
You're young, you're invincible.

It seems like lots of us made similar money mistakes at that age.
I suppose that's a right of passage as well.
People have to make mistakes to learn from them.
All our experience is simply advice, our own hindsight of things we should have done differently.

My 17 year old has shown me that he needs to learn things for himself. What was right for me may not be right for him.
And because I do have experience, I know that he'll learn from mistakes he makes.

Extra Stout
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
For example, if a person were to elect to purchase, say, a Honda-certified 2005 Honda Civic for $13,500 instead of a brand-new SUV for $20,000, the $6500 saved... actually, make that more like $7500 (thanks to saved interest), could be applied to amortizing college debt. That early amortization would result in a few thousand dollars of additional savings in avoided interest. The person theoretically could have an additional $10,000 in pocket when trying to buy a house in five years. Having that available for down payment will make a difference in the interest rate one gets. One point off an interest rate is a couple hundred dollars a month, and means immediate equity. It also could be the difference between needing private mortgage insurance or not, and that's another hundred or couple hundred a month.

I don't know about you, but to me having four hundred dollars more a month in disposable income would be a big deal. You just have to think in terms of, "where do I want to be when I'm 30?"

CuckingFunt
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
It seems like lots of us made similar money mistakes at that age.
I suppose that's a right of passage as well.Thank (deity of choice) I took a job at age 19 where I had to run credit checks for a living. It scared me into being VERY responsible financially.

Extra Stout
10-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Continuing on, assuming one buys the house at 28, and is squirreling away that $400 a month, by the age of 40, the person who buys the Civic is nearly $70,000 ahead of the person who buys the new SUV, and that's not even counting interest on the savings. If the savings go into a low-load mutual fund making returns in line with the S&P 500, the amount is probably more like $100,000.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Few think that way. Most tend to judge their financial position simply by their income and figure if they are making more they are doing better. And if they are doing better, by God, it's time to shop. This unvirtious circle tends to repeat itself.

Extra Stout
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
And I think I've just explained in a few posts the difference between people who become affluent and those who don't, or people who can finance schools for needy children in Mexico and those who can't.

duncan228
10-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Thank (deity of choice) I took a job at age 19 where I had to run credit checks for a living. It scared me into being VERY responsible financially.

I didn't get my wake up call until my mid to late 20's.
Had I been smarter when I was 20, my 30's would have been financially easier.

You were smart to pay attention to the scare.
I don't know that many of us pay attention at that age.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 01:09 PM
I think it starts with people being able to control their impulses to buy stuff. You don't need that new truck, boat, laptop, etc....as much as you think you do. Making wise personal financial decisions in America 2007 is not easy. Now, more than ever, anything you could possibly want is at your fingertips. And access to credit has been relatively easy for so many over the last 5 years. If you worry about what other people think about what you own you are precisely the sucker retailers, banks, and credit card companies love to entertain.

CuckingFunt
10-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I think it starts with people being able to control their impulses to buy stuff. You don't need that new truck, boat, laptop, etc....as much as you think you do. Making wise personal financial decisions in America 2007 is not easy. Now, more than ever, anything you could possibly want is at your fingertips. And access to credit has been relatively easy for so many over the last 5 years. If you worry about what other people think about what you own you are precisely the sucker retailers, banks, and credit card companies love to entertain.It's a combination of both philosophies, really. There's no reason to deny yourself luxuries and toys as long as you do so wisely.

My aunt and my mother have probably earned the same amount of money throughout their adult lives, yet my aunt is comfortable and has a lot of nice things while my mom lives paycheck to paycheck and very rarely indulges in new purchases. It's all about making smart choices and thinking ahead.

duncan228
10-11-2007, 01:22 PM
It's all about making smart choices and thinking ahead.

And that ends that.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Sure. I'm not saying you can't reward yourself occasionally. Occasional rewards are better than gouging yourself and then spending a good part of your life in fear and unease.

Cry Havoc
10-11-2007, 01:55 PM
New cars are simply a waste of money.

A 2-3 year old car will retail for just over half of the new sticker MRSP. So you're essentially dropping $10,000+ just to have a "new" car instead of one that just looks and runs like new.

CuckingFunt
10-11-2007, 02:07 PM
New cars are simply a waste of money.

A 2-3 year old car will retail for just over half of the new sticker MRSP. So you're essentially dropping $10,000+ just to have a "new" car instead of one that just looks and runs like new.I drive a used car, and I love it.

That being said, the depreciation of a new car is only an issue if you plan on trading it in within a couple years -- keep it ten years or so, and it's not much different. I can definitely see the appeal of driving a car off the lot with only five miles on the odometer.

tlongII
10-11-2007, 02:12 PM

The vast majority of dealerships use calendar months to determine sales goals. My brother used to sell Lexus cars and I know many others in the business as well. In fact I don't personally know of any dealerships that don't use calendar months.

Jimcs50
10-11-2007, 02:12 PM
My wife just got an 08 Infiniti G37 coupe 3 weeks ago, it is so sweet.

330 HP and does everything for you but wipe your ass. Same color too

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c468657a.jpg

ploto
10-11-2007, 02:18 PM
And I think I've just explained in a few posts the difference between people who become affluent and those who don't, or people who can finance schools for needy children in Mexico and those who can't.
Exactly. I waited six years after I graduated from college to buy my first new car- saved up and paid cash for it. Then, I had no debt when I went to purchase my home- which will be paid off in 15 years thanks to a nice down payment (saved up because I had no car payment) and a low interest rate, no PMI, ... The most important time to save money is when you are young.

tlongII
10-11-2007, 02:26 PM

You know Jim you could have saved thousands of dollars if you bought a 3 year old compact pickup!

Jimcs50
10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
You know Jim you could have saved thousands of dollars if you bought a 3 year old compact pickup!

You selling one? :p:

PM5K
10-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Sorry that some people weren't willing to give you the narrow, specific advice you were interested in, but instead chose to give you practical, experience based advice...

Bigzax
10-11-2007, 04:16 PM

very nice!

i'm gonna hold out for the wipes my ass model!

Mark in Austin
10-11-2007, 09:07 PM
In 2003 I was looking for a car - my old 1993 Maxima had 250,000 miles on it and was going to cost more to repair than it was worth. I wound up at the Austin Infiniti dealership. Test drove a G35 and loved it. Went home to get the title to the Maxima and came to my senses. When I got back to the dealership, I went to the used cars, found a 2001 I30t with all the bells and whistles I could hope for - including an extended warranty - that was on lease return, and I've never regretted the decision. I wound up saving $14,000.00 by going with a car that was a couple years old and had 20,000 miles on it.

The best part is I get the same great service - always a loaner car ready for me when I bring mine in for service, the people listen to you and address your concerns, etc.

So my specific advice to you is:

1. I would look for lease return small SUV's if you like that style vehicle. Most will be certified cars that come with warranties just as long or longer than a new car warranty. They'll cost less up front. And if you get a reliable model (RAV4,, CR-V, etc. - check consumer reports to verify) a couple years really won't make much of a difference in the lifetime of a car - certainly not enough to justify the $5,000 - $10,000 price differential.

2. If your heart is set on new, if you can hold out for 9-12 months companies are going to start rolling out their clean diesel engines. (Honda even has one in the works for the Accord.) Much better fuel efficiency, less emmissions, longer lasting engine, and if gas prices stay in their current neighborhood, not much of a difference in fuel price. Overall a pretty good deal.

good luck.