PDA

View Full Version : Anyone download the new Radiohead album?

Thunder Dan
10-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I got it this morning. I'm curious as to how much everyone is paying(or not paying) for it, and what songs you like best.

I paid 5 pounds

and I think All I Need and Nude are great songs thus far

blizz
10-10-2007, 08:56 PM
where at?

Thunder Dan
10-10-2007, 09:03 PM
where at?

www.inrainbows.com

Spurminator
10-10-2007, 10:26 PM
I've tried over and over and not only is the site REALLY slow right now, but I can't get past the shopping cart page... When I click to pay, it just refreshes the page.

So, goofy as it may sound, I'm downloading it via torrent. At some point when their server traffic slows down a bit I'll try again because I'd like to donate a few bucks but I'm getting tired of waiting.

scott
10-11-2007, 12:54 AM
I miss the days when Radiohead rocked.

ATRAIN
10-11-2007, 07:25 AM
I've tried over and over and not only is the site REALLY slow right now, but I can't get past the shopping cart page... When I click to pay, it just refreshes the page.

So, goofy as it may sound, I'm downloading it via torrent. At some point when their server traffic slows down a bit I'll try again because I'd like to donate a few bucks but I'm getting tired of waiting.

I couldnt even hit the site, it was asking me for a login id and password.

Thunder Dan
10-11-2007, 08:20 AM
I couldnt even hit the site, it was asking me for a login id and password.

it did that to me, I just kept trying and I got it to work. I logged on paid, and got the confirmation email to download then downloaded the whole album within 2 minutes.

Just keep trying it works once you get past that password thing.

yeah I first looked on it on Albumbase.com because I thought it wouldn't work for me. I cleared the cache or cookies (mabye both) on my computer and it worked for me. The only probelm was that password thing that A-Train was talking about.

monosylab1k
10-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I miss the days when Radiohead was just another generic brit-pop band.

monosylab1k
10-11-2007, 08:43 AM
I got it this morning. I'm curious as to how much everyone is paying(or not paying) for it, and what songs you like best.
I heard on the radio that the average American is paying close to 10 bucks for the album, which shocks the hell out of me.

Thunder Dan
10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
I heard on the radio that the average American is paying close to 10 bucks for the album, which shocks the hell out of me.

honestly, I was going to download it for free but I felt bad so I flipped them a couple bucks. How weird is that? I mean I would have no problem downloading something off albumbase.com for free, but now a band has said "you can pay up whatever you feel" and since I respect that, I won't take advantage of it. Damn it's like reverse psychology or something. But I didn't buy it the night it came out because my wallet was in the car and I didn't feel right about not paying anything.

ATRAIN
10-11-2007, 08:53 AM
honestly, I was going to download it for free but I felt bad so I flipped them a couple bucks. How weird is that? I mean I would have no problem downloading something off albumbase.com for free, but now a band has said "you can pay up whatever you feel" and since I respect that, I won't take advantage of it. Damn it's like reverse psychology or something. But I didn't buy it the night it came out because my wallet was in the car and I didn't feel right about not paying anything.

It makes me wonder if other artists will do this now. I mean radiohead will be making more this way than if they actually had a label to release it on. Does anyone know how much artists actually make on album sales. I know it isnt much.

Thunder Dan
10-11-2007, 09:00 AM
It makes me wonder if other artists will do this now. I mean radiohead will be making more this way than if they actually had a label to release it on. Does anyone know how much artists actually make on album sales. I know it isnt much.

I read So You Wanna Be A Rock n' Roll Star by Jacob Slitcher (drummer for Semisonic) and it explains everything about record deals. They basically have this expense fund that they ultimatly have to pay back to the recold label. So all the promos and everything gets taken out and they end up seeing 3-5 cents an album, and some bands get as high as 90 cents. It's an awesome book because it explains alot about the non glamorous side of being in a band, and how bands get ripped off, and stuff. I'm not much a fan of Semisonic, but the book is one of my favorites

http://www.amazon.com/Wanna-Rock-Roll-Star-Machine-Gunned/dp/0767914716/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5740791-7567620?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192111099&sr=8-1

did that link I sent in PM you work?

ATRAIN
10-11-2007, 09:31 AM
I read So You Wanna Be A Rock n' Roll Star by Jacob Slitcher (drummer for Semisonic) and it explains everything about record deals. They basically have this expense fund that they ultimatly have to pay back to the recold label. So all the promos and everything gets taken out and they end up seeing 3-5 cents an album, and some bands get as high as 90 cents. It's an awesome book because it explains alot about the non glamorous side of being in a band, and how bands get ripped off, and stuff. I'm not much a fan of Semisonic, but the book is one of my favorites

http://www.amazon.com/Wanna-Rock-Roll-Star-Machine-Gunned/dp/0767914716/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5740791-7567620?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192111099&sr=8-1

did that link I sent in PM you work?

I didnt get a PM try again :). Wow I didnt know it was that low. Radiohead is going to make a killing from what they are doing. I know it would be harder for small bands to do that, but big bands need to take note.

CuckingFunt
10-11-2007, 09:33 AM
I didnt get a PM try again :). Wow I didnt know it was that low. Radiohead is going to make a killing from what they are doing. I know it would be harder for small bands to do that, but big bands need to take note.
Several already have. Nine Inch Nails is officially without a record deal now, and Reznor has said he may not resign with anyone.

ATRAIN
10-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Several already have. Nine Inch Nails is officially without a record deal now, and Reznor has said he may not resign with anyone.

This could possibly be what some need to do to battle the piracy. Let us download for free if we want and donate, either way it will be more than 5 cents a cd. It will give people a chance to actually listen to the whole cd and not just what the radio wants us to hear. This could make thier fan base grow. I heard Bodysnatchers on the radio yesterday, damn this song is awesome!!

leemajors
10-11-2007, 10:01 AM
This could possibly be what some need to do to battle the piracy. Let us download for free if we want and donate, either way it will be more than 5 cents a cd. It will give people a chance to actually listen to the whole cd and not just what the radio wants us to hear. This could make thier fan base grow. I heard Bodysnatchers on the radio yesterday, damn this song is awesome!!
i doubt it will have any effect on piracy.

jman3000
10-11-2007, 10:09 AM
if more and more bands did this, i think the novelty would wear off and only the die hard fans of a particular band would pay, as opposed to those who have respect for what theyre trying to do.

leemajors
10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
radiohead turns about face, will sell through one of big four in January:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cop-out/radiohead-selling-in-rainbows-on-cd-via-one-of-the-big-four-in-january-309948.php

After basking in adulation from music lovers and RIAA haters for being enlightened poster children of the new way of doing business in the music industry, Radiohead has pulled an about-face that feels like a betrayal and a dirty cop-out: They're releasing In Rainbows on CD in January through one of the Big Four (all of whom they're in negotiations with right now), and it might contain extra material not found in the digital version. Yeah, it was a cheap marketing ploy, according to their management: "If we didn't believe that when people hear the music they will want to buy the CD, then we wouldn't do what we are doing."

As Idolator's editor had guessed, the shitty 160kbps files should've been a tipoff something else was in the works besides the $80 feel-good bonus-laden package. Which, had fans known a regular CD release is coming out, would they have dropped that much coin? Some, sure, but all? And what about the poor bastards that paid full price (or more) for the middling quality MP3s?

What makes the move so goddamn dirty is that it was complete subterfuge—had they said they were planning a CD release in the first place it wouldn't be so bad. Instead, they cheated fans and rode a sky-high wave of good press while planning to do the same old, same old the entire time. There's no way I'm buying their album now, in any form.

what a bunch of bitches.

Thunder Dan
10-11-2007, 06:32 PM

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cop-out/radiohead-selling-in-rainbows-on-cd-via-one-of-the-big-four-in-january-309948.php

what a bunch of bitches.

if that is indeed true I'm pissed off. Not so much if they do a release, but if they put extra material on it to get people to buy it again

Spurminator
10-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Fuck it I'll just download the bonus shit too.

Ronaldo McDonald
10-11-2007, 07:32 PM
unlike most dickheads i pay for my music

Ronaldo McDonald
10-11-2007, 07:34 PM
but I will not be paying anything for the new Radiohead album since they aren't asking for anything

monosylab1k
10-11-2007, 07:35 PM
wtf? this isn't breaking news, they said they were going to do this all along. it's even noted in one of the other threads.

now the bonus material part is bullshit unless they make it available to anybody who already downloaded the album.

leemajors
10-11-2007, 07:39 PM
wtf? this isn't breaking news, they said they were going to do this all along. it's even noted in one of the other threads.

now the bonus material part is bullshit unless they make it available to anybody who already downloaded the album.
of course they won't.

monosylab1k
10-11-2007, 07:39 PM
of course they won't.
yeah probably not. one can hope that they're better than that, though.

leemajors
10-11-2007, 07:42 PM
yeah probably not. one can hope that they're better than that, though.
it seems like more than anything, it was a ploy to sell their $80 box, which probably has all the special stuff and more.

leemajors
10-11-2007, 07:48 PM
anyways, i am still really interested in what Reznor does. I found this quote of a quote from him, but haven't been able to find where it was quoted from (so be cautioned, it may be wrong):

"I have been under recording contracts for 18 years and have watched the business radically mutate from one thing to something inherently very different and it gives me great pleasure to be able to finally have a direct relationship with the audience as I see fit and appropriate."

if this is true, he could do something really unique.

DieMrBond
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM
The problem is, not a lot of bands would have the coin to take and set up this way of doing business. Setting up an online website to sell their album, can be quite costly to outsource (unless of course one of the band members is a web-nerd).

So bands that have already made their millions, and have some power and a large fan base could afford to do it - like U2, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Rolling Stones, etc etc - but what about your small little indie band that desperately need the power of a record label...

It would be fantastic if it happened, cut out all the BS, money going to people who actually make the product not just those who 'enslave them', but i dont see it happening yet.

Hopefully some like Mr Reznor or Tool does do something tho, because they have a fair bit of power.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-12-2007, 12:30 AM

what a bunch of bitches.
:lol lame article

That's not an about face. I'm sure most fans expected them to release a CD form eventually. This was just their way of screwing the middle man and letting fans in directly. I always figured they did this to take advantage of their clout, and HttT leaking the last time.

if that is indeed true I'm pissed off. Not so much if they do a release, but if they put extra material on it to get people to buy it again.
The bonus material has some good songs. I don't even think they're bonus. They should have released it as a double album on download. But maybe they'll make it available after they release their box sets.

that's the only part that seems like a potential cop out/(semi-George Lucas) to me.

leemajors
10-12-2007, 07:13 AM
:lol lame article

That's not an about face. I'm sure most fans expected them to release a CD form eventually. This was just their way of screwing the middle man and letting fans in directly. I always figured they did this to take advantage of their clout, and HttT leaking the last time.

The bonus material has some good songs. I don't even think they're bonus. They should have released it as a double album on download. But maybe they'll make it available after they release their box sets.

that's the only part that seems like a potential cop out/(semi-George Lucas) to me.
they're not screwing the middle man at all. the article is a bit reactionary, but the only thing they're taking advantage of is the people who gave them money for low quality mp3s that thought they were bucking the system.

leemajors
10-12-2007, 08:47 AM
if they offered a discount to the people who actually paid something for it towards the purchase of the RIAA album, that would do much more to "screw" the middle man.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
if they offered a discount to the people who actually paid something for it towards the purchase of the RIAA album, that would do much more to "screw" the middle man.

True. Though I wonder if they'd go through such lengths. I always thought the website release on the 10th was just a better alternative to paying for Itunes flat rates for each songs...

the article is a bit reactionary, but the only thing they're taking advantage of is the people who gave them money for low quality mp3s that thought they were bucking the system.

But I'm not quite sure if the articles are making a story out of Radiohead "duping" fans. Presenting it that way by exaggerating claims from the uptight, fickle fans over the ones who were satisfied enough with the mp3 releases, without many complaints...
Or if there was some oversight by Radiohead and co. and whether fans do have a right to take issue over the bitrate quality.

Anyway, originally they seemed to be screwing over the "middle man" but I'm pretty sure most were expecting some form of the conventional release out as the alternative. If some were expecting to get a hard copy. They should have held off. I knew some people who did that.
But yeah, Radiohead should have played it safe and released 320 kb quality, I suppose....I really don't see the big deal.

It's petty stuff anyway, ultimately.
All I personally, cared about was just listening to new material. And ultimately getting the second disc material, even if I have to download that later on.

leemajors
10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
True. Though I wonder if they'd go through such lengths. I always thought the website release on the 10th was just a better alternative to paying for Itunes flat rates for each songs...

But I'm not quite sure if the articles are making a story out of Radiohead "duping" fans. Presenting it that way by exaggerating claims from the uptight, fickle fans over the ones who were satisfied enough with the mp3 releases, without many complaints...
Or if there was some oversight by Radiohead and co. and whether fans do have a right to take issue over the bitrate quality.

Anyway, originally they seemed to be screwing over the "middle man" but I'm pretty sure most were expecting some form of the conventional release out as the alternative. If some were expecting to get a hard copy. They should have held off. I knew some people who did that.
But yeah, Radiohead should have played it safe and released 320 kb quality, I suppose....I really don't see the big deal.

It's petty stuff anyway, ultimately.
All I personally, cared about was just listening to new material. And ultimately getting the second disc material, even if I have to download that later on.
iTunes doesn't cost much at all, and they don't make a whole lot off of the songs themselves. it mainly helps them maintain market share on hardware mp3 players. half of the text of the article has been crossed out. i am not a big radiohead fan at all, but it seemed like they were on the verge of doing something really cool, but half assed it. they may have been clear from the start in footnotes about the later cd release, but didn't really do anything about the media and fans trumpeting them as the coolest band ever when word of the web release hit the net. the aftermath should be interesting, lots of their fans are really pissed, albeit misguidedly.

leemajors
10-18-2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/10/16/radiohead-download-piracy-tech-internet-cx_ag_1016techradiohead.html?boxes=author

Piracy, it seems, is about more than price.

That's one of the surprising discoveries to come out of an experiment by the British band Radiohead last week. On Thursday, the group made its latest album, In Rainbows, available for direct downloading from the Web at an unusual price: whatever fans feel like paying. Downloaders who want to pay nothing can enter "zero" in the site's price field and download the album for free.

But for hard-core music pirates, even free hasn’t been enough of a draw. According to music industry analysts, hundreds of thousands of Web users who frequent copyright-infringing file-sharing sites, including The Pirate Bay and TorrentSpy, have chosen to download In Rainbows illegally, distributing their contraband around the Internet just as they might with any other pirated album.

On the first day that Radiohead's latest became available, around 240,000 users downloaded the album from copyright-infringing peer-to-peer BitTorrent sources, according to Big Champagne, a Los-Angeles-based company that tracks illegal downloading on the Internet. Over the following days, the file was downloaded about 100,000 more times each day—adding up to more than 500,000 total illegal downloads.

That's less than the 1.2 million legitimate online sales of the album reported by the British Web site Gigwise.com. But Eric Garland, Big Champagne's chief executive, says illegal file-sharing is likely to overtake legal downloads in the coming weeks, given that many of those 1.2 million legitimate sales were pre-orders taken during the 10 days between when the band announced the album and its actual release last Thursday.

With popular album releases, illegal download volumes normally outstrip sales, says Garland. But more surprising is that fans chose to steal music they could legally download for any price they choose.

Garland argues that this kind of digital theft is more a matter of habit than of economics. "People don't know Radiohead's site. They do know their favorite BitTorrent site and they use it every day," he says. "It's quite simply easier for folks to get the illegal version than the legal version."

In Garland's experience, the store price of a new album plays little role in determining how often it will be pirated. Similarly irrelevant are the protective locks that recording companies put on files to try to stop pirates from copying and sharing them, so called digital rights management systems.

"Albums that are popular in retail are popular among pirates," Garland says. "In the big picture, if people want something, some will pay, and others will find a way to take it for free."

Despite the hundreds of thousands of illegal downloads, Radiohead's innovative online release could still be a smart fiscal strategy. By cutting out record companies, the band retains the full revenue stream of album sales, and monies from touring and merchandise sales.

The buzz generated by the band's pay-what-you-want publicity stunt may also boost sales. Radiohead's previous album sold only 300,000 copies in the first week—about one-sixth the number of copies of In Rainbows now in circulation.

An internal memo circulated at EMI, Radiohead's former record label, and obtained by Forbes.com, demonstrates the album's tectonic effects on the music industry.

"The recorded music industry … has for too long been dependent on how many CDs can be sold," writes Guy Hands, EMI's chairman. "The industry, rather than embracing digitalization and the opportunities it brings for promotion of product and distribution through multiple channels, has stuck its head in the sand. Radiohead's actions are a wake-up call which we should all welcome and respond to with creativity and energy."

But for Doug Lichtman, an intellectual property professor at the UCLA School of Law, the volume of piracy following In Rainbows' release erodes the success of Radiohead's innovation. "If the community rejects even forward-thinking experiments like this one, real harm is done to the next generation of experimentation and change," he says.

Lichtman speculates that users may have interpreted Radiohead's offer as a giveaway and so felt more comfortable downloading the album from other free sources. Fans may also have been turned off by the band's requirement that users register by providing their name and e-mail and postal addresses.

The ultimate lesson may simply be that it's hard to compete with free, Lichtman says. "Registration is a small barrier," he says. "Sadly, even that little bit of cost might be too much."

stress
10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
nah im not i dont think it will be as good as paranoid android

Spurminator
10-18-2007, 04:17 PM
http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/10/16/radiohead-download-piracy-tech-internet-cx_ag_1016techradiohead.html?boxes=author

Because their website was too bogged down.