PDA

View Full Version : If you could make one trade, who would it be for?

=RTM=
10-10-2007, 10:24 PM
You are in full charge of the San Antonio Spurs!

If you could make one trade who would it be for?

E20
10-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Beno for Lebron.

mavs>spurs2
10-10-2007, 10:27 PM
lets try to keep it realistic

lefty
10-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Beno for Lebron.

Fair enough :lol

=RTM=
10-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Beno for Lebron.

^ rack this vato!

:wakeup

Manu for Kobe!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/55-1.jpg

lefty
10-10-2007, 10:29 PM
^ rack this vato!

Manu for Kobe!

Never; I'll never trade Manu for Mana

E20
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
^ rack this vata!

Manu for Kobe!

Fixed.

Mavs08
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
lets try to keep it realistic

^ post of the day!

E20
10-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Realistically speaking, I would trade Beno for cash + some draft picks, or maybe some other solid PG that is on the last year of his contract.

Mavs08
10-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Dirk for Tim Duncan!

Booty Call
10-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Pop for Phil Jackson!

shelshor
10-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Beno & Barry for Delonte West

Banjo Boy
10-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Your playing my tune!

meta2007
10-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Peter Holt for Bill Gates!

lefty
10-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Eva Longoria for Rosie O'Donnel

RC's Boss
10-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Pop for Phil Jackson!
Nice oily ass pic... Me likes!

Thompson
10-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I would call up the Clippers and say,

"Hey, why don't you ask Elton if he's coming back next year. If he's not planning on it, you're spending x million dollars for nothing this year; at best, he may come back when the season is almost over. Then, it will be too late to get a spot in the playoffs, but you might win enough games to screw up your chances in the next lottery. Rather than waste all that money and screw yourself out of a great shot at rebuilding, here's what we'll do. We'll give you the expiring contracts of Beno (a promising guard, just doesn't fit with Pop) and Brent Barry (3 point sharpshooter extraordinaire), and maybe an extra second-rounder next year.

On the face of it "Brand for Beno/Barry/2nd rounder" sounds crazy, but you again have to realize
A. He's out for most if not all of the season - you're paying him for nothing.
B. He's not coming back next year, so you can't even hope for an eventual return on that investment.
C. Even if he manages to come back at the end of the year, he can't really help you into the postseason, but he could screw you out of a high lottery pick.

Also,

D. Beno has talent, and there is a possibility he could flourish in your system
He's still a young guy, and that could help with rebuilding
E. If he or Barry don't work out, don't keep them.
F. That extra 2nd rounder will also help the rebuilding"

For the Spurs, while the luxury tax hit would hurt, I would tell Holt to swallow it as a short-term loss because the long-term success and value of the franchise would far outweigh it. Additionally, If Brand could get healthy by the postseason, he could be useful this year; presumably, we'd have him studying our rotations all year while he was sidelined. Maybe he likes the atmosphere so much he stays next year.

ducks
10-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Beno for Lebron.
that is realist
beno and james both suck

Indazone
10-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Why don't you make a pitch for Jermaine O'Neal. Can ya do it? Get rid of Elson, Oberto and maybe some cash. Would Bird go for that?

MavTalker
10-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Peter Holt for Bill Gates!

:lmao

lint
10-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Tony Parker for Jason Kidd

MrChug
10-10-2007, 11:49 PM
I really would like the opportunity to throw Brent (who I'm the biggest fan of since Chris Mullin) to a team that needs some character and some veteran leadership and shooting (i.e. the Clippers, the Jazz) for someone younger and more nutty like slim-kneed Livingston or even Collins.

timmy21_4rings
10-11-2007, 12:02 AM

"Hey, why don't you ask Elton if he's coming back next year. If he's not planning on it, you're spending x million dollars for nothing this year; at best, he may come back when the season is almost over. Then, it will be too late to get a spot in the playoffs, but you might win enough games to screw up your chances in the next lottery. Rather than waste all that money and screw yourself out of a great shot at rebuilding, here's what we'll do. We'll give you the expiring contracts of Beno (a promising guard, just doesn't fit with Pop) and Brent Barry (3 point sharpshooter extraordinaire), and maybe an extra second-rounder next year.

On the face of it "Brand for Beno/Barry/2nd rounder" sounds crazy, but you again have to realize
B. He's not coming back next year, so you can't even hope for an eventual return on that investment.
C. Even if he manages to come back at the end of the year, he can't really help you into the postseason, but he could screw you out of a high lottery pick.

Also,

For the Spurs, while the luxury tax hit would hurt, I would tell Holt to swallow it as a short-term loss because the long-term success and value of the franchise would far outweigh it. Additionally, If Brand could get healthy by the postseason, he could be useful this year; presumably, we'd have him studying our rotations all year while he was sidelined. Maybe he likes the atmosphere so much he stays next year.

Sounds like a good idea. I love this idea

Xylus
10-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Shawn Marion for Rasheed Wallace

phyzik
10-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Brent (as much as I like him), Beno and a future second round draft pick for Baron Davis

Dex
10-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Banana for a Snack Pack.

Big P
10-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Why don't you make a pitch for Jermaine O'Neal. Can ya do it? Get rid of Elson, Oberto and maybe some cash. Would Bird go for that?

If Bird is holding out for Bynum AND Odom...do you really think he would take Oberto & Elson? The salaries are no where near matching anyways.

Indazone
10-11-2007, 12:59 AM
If Bird is holding out for Bynum AND Odom...do you really think he would take Oberto & Elson? The salaries are no where near matching anyways.

Bet he'd take Ginobili off your hands. :hungry:

WalterBenitez
10-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Beno for Lebron.
:toast

exstatic
10-11-2007, 06:04 AM
There's almost no trade for a big name player that wouldn't involve breaking up the Big Three for required salary. I'm not ready to break up that 3 time championship (2003,2005,2007) core just yet for a player who may or may not fit the system.

mountainballer
10-11-2007, 06:43 AM

Also,

beside the fact, that this is a totally unrealistic scenario, it's better to check the basic rules of CBA for trades before making clueless proposals.

Whottt.
10-11-2007, 08:20 AM

Also,

Are you the guy with the radio show?

thousandth
10-11-2007, 08:43 AM

However, I don't know who gets welcome Elson with opens arms, we couldn't get anything good for him. Oberto? I glad he's on our teams and not on rival team conference like Lakers, he knows enough defensive on Tim. With Ime and next year Tiago or Mahinmi in the team, I think on Barry/Elson/Beno leaving the Spurs.

DR WU
10-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Beno, Barry and next years 1st round pick in exchange for Kevin Durant

smeagol
10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Bonner for Scola

smeagol
10-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Elson for Rasho

smeagol
10-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Sequ for taruky

florige
10-11-2007, 01:34 PM
I would have jumped for Parker for Kidd two years ago. But not now. I don't know, maybe Barry and Beno for Caron Butler.

Oh, Gee!!
10-11-2007, 01:53 PM
manu for kobe

Cry Havoc
10-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Beno + Barry or Finley + draft pick for Danny Granger.

Jimcs50
10-11-2007, 02:07 PM

riiiight

Heck, I would trade Beno and Barry for Ben and Jerry's right now.

:)

Thompson
10-11-2007, 07:06 PM
beside the fact, that this is a totally unrealistic scenario, it's better to check the basic rules of CBA for trades before making clueless proposals.

Logically, it doesn't seem that bad to me; the Clippers are paying a large salary so Elton can sit on their bench until next year, when he leaves. They are effectively losing Elton whether they trade him or not; the only difference is whether they can get someone else to pay a salary which can't help them, and maybe even pick up a few useful items (Beno/Barry/2008 second rounder).

Step back for a minute, forget it's Brand, and ask "What will the player's contribution be equivalent to this year, the final year of his contract (assuming he opts out and leaves)?" The answer is, almost nothing, certainly nothing to help them into the playoffs, but it might actually hurt them where the lottery is concerned, and the salary (which they get no beneficial return on) also hurts them.

As for checking the CBA for rules on trade proposals, get a life. Maybe my proposal is clueless when it comes to the rules, but I'm not going to read through a book of rules, down to appendix B, subsection C for a recreational (fun) fan post. If the idea's stupid, ignore it. I am certainly no expert on such rules, and I don't really care to be, unless you can tell me in a couple sentences exactly what rules my screwball proposal violates. If the answer is, "You'll have to read this 20 page pamphlet," that's more than I care to do; this is apparently more recreational for me than it is for you (please tell me you're not from the Spurs front office, trolling this site for suggestions). I would also wager that I enjoy my time here more than you do, because I can imagine a (fantasy) scenario without having to correct myself (Oh, but that ridiculous scenario is completely implausible given that paragraph 4 of subsection F on page 32 of the trade rules index states...). Lighten up, this isn't serious.

P.S. You don't have to point out that Beno for Lebron isn't realistic either.

slayermin
10-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Beno + Barry or Finley + draft pick for Danny Granger.

I like this trade but the Pacers would want TP or Manu for Granger.

ducks
10-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Bonner for Scola
:rolleyes

jay014
10-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Bruce Bowen & Marcus Williams for Josh Smith.

smeagol
10-11-2007, 07:42 PM
:rolleyes
Parker for Kidd

smeagol
10-11-2007, 07:42 PM
ducks for Amente

ducks
10-11-2007, 07:46 PM
ducks for Amentewhen has he been right last

scola is not the best player the spurs could trade for

he does not fit in this team
why trade for him? To waste a roster spot?

Fabbs
10-11-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't want to see him go, but i think our chances for a 1st repeat and 3 of 4 would increase with

Parker and Eva for
Kobe and Wrinkleson

smeagol
10-11-2007, 08:11 PM
when has he been right last

scola is not the best player the spurs could trade for

he does not fit in this team
why trade for him? To waste a roster spot?
It was a joke, just like 80% of the posts in this thread.

Next time I will use :spin or the :) to help you out.

duncan7721
10-12-2007, 03:18 AM
We need an offensive force down low to take some attention of Duncan and at the same time can get some rebounds. Elton Brand sounds like a good idea, but if we could do that same thing with Oden, we are repeating for the first time. It depends on whether Oden will play in the playoffs though....have him for next year then.

alamo50
10-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Beno, Barry and Williams for Corey Brewer.

mountainballer
10-12-2007, 03:49 AM
As for checking the CBA for rules on trade proposals, get a life. Maybe my proposal is clueless when it comes to the rules, but I'm not going to read through a book of rules, down to appendix B, subsection C for a recreational (fun) fan post.

kid, writing your extended posts on an idiotic proposal takes ten times the life time than learning some basic knowledge about NBA.
the rule, that salaries have to match (+/-25%), when teams over the cap do a trade, is THE basic rule about the whole trade science.
what you do is like suggesting to strengthen the defense by sending a 6th player on the court. some people might get the impression, that you don't know anything about basketball and it won't help your point to insist, that you don't are not going to read through a book of rules. well, maybe any book.

MavTalker
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
As a Mavs fan I would trade Dirk for Tim.

Re-Animator
10-12-2007, 10:03 AM
ducks for Amente

That trade would not work since Ducks post @ SR already. Besides that Amente dude is an asshat I have met him in person. He practically ruined SR on his own. With help from Mombear and LadySpur.

I can say this, that Thompson vato knows his shit!

Jason Terry for Tony Parker

ducks
10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
I second that

AFBlue
10-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Beno and Barry for Maggette

sharpshooter
10-12-2007, 03:50 PM
manu for kobe

vander
10-12-2007, 04:17 PM
swing a deal for some young injured PF/C, Brand, Oden, Yao, someone more attainable. cause we can wait

Indazone
10-12-2007, 04:54 PM
LMAO at the risk of turning this into a Scola thread....oh what the hell.

Scola Thread whooo hoooo!!!

If you knew then what you know now would you have traded Oberto and Elson to get Scola???

Scola Trade
10-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Can we get Scola back? Maybe for Bonner + Beno.. :rolleyes :smokin

PM5K
10-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Well it's boring if it has to be realistic, I'm not going to go around looking up player salaries and contracts and shit to figure out who could be traded for who...

LAME...

Thompson
10-13-2007, 02:40 AM
some people might get the impression, that you don't know anything about basketball and it won't help your point to insist, that you don't are not going to read through a book of rules. well, maybe any book.

Some people might think reading and writing are not your strong suits either.

bdictjames
10-13-2007, 02:57 AM
rights to Splitter, and Beno for Scola

TheAuthority
10-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Parker and throw-ins for Garnett. The deal that should have gotten done but didn't.

If you're Minnesota, who do you want... some scrubs and Jefferson or some scrubs and Parker? I'm taking Parker.

Texas_Ranger
10-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Barry for Nachbar.

mountainballer
10-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Some people might think reading and writing are not your strong suits either.

wow, big deal, aber wir können auch gerne in meiner Muttersprache diskutieren, wenn Du glaubst, dass Grammatik und Rechtschreibung Deine stärkeren Seiten sind. Ich kann es Dir ja auch so nochmals mitteilen: Du bist tatsächlich der ahnungsloseste Poster in diesem Forum. Das wäre ja kein Problem, jeder fängt klein ein, aber die eigene Ahnungslosigkeit für Genialität zu halten, ist zumeist ein eher tragischer Zug.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Parker and throw-ins for Garnett. The deal that should have gotten done but didn't.

If you're Minnesota, who do you want... some scrubs and Jefferson or some scrubs and Parker? I'm taking Parker.

Insanity! Hey, I respect KG, but that would totally unbalance our team. KG is an alpha, so is TD in his own way, and we'd have no point guard. Also, Parker is just hitting his prime and he's on a decent contract, while KG is overpaid and hasn't proven he can lead anyone anywhere. Also, he relies on his athleticism and may start to decline rapidly at any time after 33-4.

The beauty of the Spurs is the balance - Parker, Manu and TD all do different things to complement each other perfectly. That's why they have 3 rings together. They are like the hands on a watch - you need all three different hands to tell the time properly. You are talking about replacing the second hand with another hour hand! A watch with two hour hands loses all precision.

Your trade looks good on paper, but in practice it would unbalance the team.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-13-2007, 09:36 AM

That's about the only trade in here that's even possible.

Beno and Barry for "proven good player X" simply ain't gonna happen, even if we throw in a first rounder (in all likelihood #26-30).

I like the idea of Danny Granger as a Spur, but he's going to take Manu to prise away from Indy, and no way in hell I give Manu away.

wildchild
10-13-2007, 09:36 AM
LMAO at the risk of turning this into a Scola thread....oh what the hell.

Scola Thread whooo hoooo!!!

If you knew then what you know now would you have traded Oberto and Elson to get Scola???

NO. I think Fab's hard work fits much more in the Spurs than Scola's offensive talent. Cisco's defensive, too, he has his moments.
I have to dumb down what I were saying so that you could understand me.
Again, again, again. Scola bandwagon sucks!. :p:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-13-2007, 09:37 AM

Of course you would! Proven winner vs proven choker all the way! No way in hell we'd even entertain the idea though! :lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Can we get Scola back? Maybe for Bonner + Beno.. :rolleyes :smokin

I'd keep Bonner over Scola anyway because Bonner's game fits the Spurs. He is Rob's understudy, he hustles, and he has range. That means he can play the 4 next to Tim and spread the floor. Scola and Tim together would just clog the post because Scola doesn't have the height to make the passes DRob used to make to TD, and nor does he have range to the 3.

Scola would've been lovely low post insurance if Tim went down, but otherwise he's superfluous to the Spurs. Pity we gave him away to a divisional rival, but otherwise, who cares?

Obstructed_View
10-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Since it takes a player a year to play well in the Spurs' system, I wouldn't trade anybody that's been in the rotation the past couple of years. That makes the question to easy to answer. Beno for almost anything.

wildbill2u
10-13-2007, 12:05 PM
You are in full charge of the San Antonio Spurs!

If you could make one trade who would it be for?
Beno for Kobe and 2 number 1 draft picks in 2010 and 2011

timmy21_4rings
10-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Insanity! Hey, I respect KG, but that would totally unbalance our team. KG is an alpha, so is TD in his own way, and we'd have no point guard. Also, Parker is just hitting his prime and he's on a decent contract, while KG is overpaid and hasn't proven he can lead anyone anywhere. Also, he relies on his athleticism and may start to decline rapidly at any time after 33-4.

The beauty of the Spurs is the balance - Parker, Manu and TD all do different things to complement each other perfectly. That's why they have 3 rings together. They are like the hands on a watch - you need all three different hands to tell the time properly. You are talking about replacing the second hand with another hour hand! A watch with two hour hands loses all precision.

Your trade looks good on paper, but in practice it would unbalance the team.

Not really.

TD can play center and KG can play PF. Both will demand double teams. Remember today TD is the only Spurs player demanding double team consistently. The combination of TD and KG would further enhance our title chances lot more than TP. Also, KG does not need to lead this team. This team has more leaders. KG can take care of his usual business.

After TD's retirement, TP can not take this team anywhere. Need proof? Look at Kobe.

The only point I agree with you on is price for KG.

timmy21_4rings
10-13-2007, 03:57 PM

why are u still a Mav fan then?

E20
10-13-2007, 04:01 PM
The Spurs ball boy and a strand of Ginobili's hair for the entire 1972 LA Lakers roster in their prime.

SpursDynasty
10-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I think I would trade some future draft picks for Josh Howard and Jason Terry (since that's about all they are worth), then trade Howard and Terry to the Lakers for Kobe (since they are considering that deal w/Dallas).

E20
10-13-2007, 04:04 PM
The Spurs ball boy and a strand of Ginobili's hair for the entire 1972 LA Lakers roster in their prime.
I thought I had the most outrageous trade scenario, but SpursDynasty beat me:

I think I would trade some future draft picks for Josh Howard and Jason Terry (since that's about all they are worth), then trade Howard and Terry to the Lakers for Kobe (since they are considering that deal w/Dallas).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Not really.

TD can play center and KG can play PF. Both will demand double teams. Remember today TD is the only Spurs player demanding double team consistently. The combination of TD and KG would further enhance our title chances lot more than TP. Also, KG does not need to lead this team. This team has more leaders. KG can take care of his usual business.

After TD's retirement, TP can not take this team anywhere. Need proof? Look at Kobe.

The only point I agree with you on is price for KG.

You still miss the point about balance. We have the perfect court balance right now, and KG would upset that. TP slashes, TD owns the post, and Manu freelances. You say "TD can play center and KG can play PF" but ignore the fact that they both play in roughly the same area on the floor and you still need a PG to get the ball to them. Manu is then the only slasher and easier to shut down. IMHO you're thinking "team on paper" not "basketball reality".

You'd also be trading a 25yo who is still improving for a 31yo with a lot of miles on the clock.

Who said TP could take the team anywhere on his own? Not me. But you miss the point that TD and KG ARE THE SAME AGE, and KG is likely to lose effectiveness before TD because he relies on his athleticism more. That makes your point moot because KG is not going to be leading the Spurs any longer than TD will.

lefty
10-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Well, since the Eva for Rosie O'Donell won't go down (too bad for TP), I propose :

Duncan's daughter for 1 of Michael Jordan's sons. :smokin

duncan7721
10-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Oberto, Elson, Future draft pick and cash for Oden.