PDA

View Full Version : Fran is done!

50 cent
10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
After that PC today, there is no doubt that he will be fired after the season ends.

I wonder who we can go get now.

Tuberville?
Charlie Strong?
Bo Pelini?
Ron Prince?
Chris Petersen?

degenerate_gambler
10-11-2007, 11:02 AM
what was the gist of it?

j-6
10-11-2007, 11:05 AM
How about Jim Leavitt?

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 11:05 AM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Coach/PHOTO/TOMMY-TUBERVILLE05.JPG

Big game winning HC in the SEC who cut his coaching teeth as a DC. If he can recruit that well in that environment he should excel in Texas.

A&M would have to schedule Florida, without a doubt.

degenerate_gambler
10-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Here's a link to the docs...

http://www.aggieathletics.com/features/vip/

j-6
10-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Why would Tuberville leave Auburn for A&M? Not hating on the Ags but I just don't see the logic in leaving a team that seems to win the SEC West every other year to play catch-up against Texas and OU.

I know he coached a season in Aggieland as an assistant but it's not like he has a ton of long term ties to the program.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 11:20 AM
He's had some run-ins with the administration, IIRC. Ags could always just pony up more. Plus, as it stands now the SEC schedule is much more brutal than in the Big 12 South.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
After Tuberville I would say the LSU or Florida DC. Still, I think you go with someone proven after Fran is flushed.

Cutcliffe at Tennessee might be worth consideration.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 11:33 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA101107.FBCaggiesfranchione.en.15da10d0b.html

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-11-2007, 12:56 PM
The early leaders in the clubhouse are Tedford (Cal) and Tuberville (Auburn). Gonna be an interesting November.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I think Tedford is more of a pipe dream than any other. Establishing Cal as a dominant program is no small feat, especially considering the ground they've covered in such a short time span. His work's not done and he could really build a legacy with that program. Plus depending on his tastes it might be a bit of a change moving from Northern California to the Brazos Valley.

As for Tuberville, I continue to see hints dropped about him, both in the press and through the grapevine. I'm not sure if that too is wishful thinking or if the feeling is already known as mutual.

j-6
10-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I'd go after that douchebag Mike Leach. Regarding the Florida DC, Strong, would all those oldtimer Ags be OK with a black guy running their football program?

Pelini's a great idea, and you won't have to worry about Michigan getting to him first.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I'd be fine with the dirty pirate simply for the fact that Lubbock would implode.

Fran's disgraced white coaches enough that I don't think that would be an issue.

Whisky Dog
10-11-2007, 01:14 PM
I'd go after that douchebag Mike Leach. Regarding the Florida DC, Strong, would all those oldtimer Ags be OK with a black guy running their football program?

Pelini's a great idea, and you won't have to worry about Michigan getting to him first.

How many death threats would it take for Texas to can Davis and throw shitloads of money at Leach to be the OC?

Aww, fuck it. Leach would just kill Mack in his sleep anyway.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 01:18 PM
For the amount of $ that A&M is capable of throwing around I think you gotta end up with a proven name. There are definitely some interesting assistants out there to elevate, but I'm not sure the desire is there to wait another 3 to 5 years to see if he's another dud or not. You need someone who is proven at recruiting in the South and/or Texas, unless you are fine with the talent you have and simply want someone to coach it. You also want someone who is proven at winning against good teams, not simply racking up wins against directional schools in Louisiana. To me, all signs point to Tuberville.

j-6
10-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Could you hook Mike Sherman?

Whisky Dog
10-11-2007, 01:38 PM
For the amount of $ that A&M is capable of throwing around I think you gotta end up with a proven name. There are definitely some interesting assistants out there to elevate, but I'm not sure the desire is there to wait another 3 to 5 years to see if he's another dud or not. You need someone who is proven at recruiting in the South and/or Texas, unless you are fine with the talent you have and simply want someone to coach it. You also want someone who is proven at winning against good teams, not simply racking up wins against directional schools in Louisiana. To me, all signs point to Tuberville.

The key is recruiting in Texas. You have to find someone that speaks and relates to the Texas culture and is capable of convincing kids to play ball there. Fran was successful at other schools, but his style doesn't cut it in Texas. Unless there's a coach that already has a track record of recruiting in Texas out there, it's going to be a crap shoot that you hope turns out well.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 01:47 PM
I bet that Tuberville can recruit in Texas.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Could you hook Mike Sherman?

Why not Kubiak? :drunk

Sherman has a history with A&M and Kubiak is the primary playcaller. If he wanted to return to the NCAA, he'd be worth a look.

Whisky Dog
10-11-2007, 01:51 PM
I bet that Tuberville can recruit in Texas.

Maybe, Maybe not. There's only one way to find out, and if they can land him I see no reason not to give it a try considering his success at Auburn.

Extra Stout
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Regarding the Florida DC, Strong, would all those oldtimer Ags be OK with a black guy running their football program?
More of the pre-'64 old army needs to die off first.

samikeyp
10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Does a bowl win and a win over UT save him?

Extra Stout
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Does a bowl win and a win over UT save him?
I don't care if he wins a freaking BCS bowl.

samikeyp
10-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I could see Bo Pellini getting offered the job.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Fran is so gone. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA101107.FBCaggiesfranchione.en.15da10d0b.html)

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 04:17 PM
More of the pre-'64 old army needs to die off first.

They may hold some sway, but at this point the few who may feel that way are past the point of lucidity to really matter.

Anyways, we'll probably end up with RC's bud Bob Davie.

Holt's Cat
10-11-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't care if he wins a freaking BCS bowl.

They should dispatch him after Pirate Leach drops 50 on us on Saturday.

Whisky Dog
10-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Bob Davie. That would be so sweet.

Kermit
10-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Fran leaving is the worst news ever. Please keep him Aggies!!! Please!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I think Tedford is more of a pipe dream than any other. Establishing Cal as a dominant program is no small feat, especially considering the ground they've covered in such a short time span. His work's not done and he could really build a legacy with that program. Plus depending on his tastes it might be a bit of a change moving from Northern California to the Brazos Valley.

As for Tuberville, I continue to see hints dropped about him, both in the press and through the grapevine. I'm not sure if that too is wishful thinking or if the feeling is already known as mutual.

I have a buddy that lives out there and coaches football, who knows Tedford well.

The reason Tedford may leave is that the liberal faction at the school is blocking the expansion of the stadium and the building of locker rooms and a player's lounge, all important tools in recruiting these days.

They won't give him what he wants there for the program, which has created an opportunity for the right school to come along and land him.

Doug Collins
10-11-2007, 07:19 PM
I have a buddy that lives out there and coaches football, who knows Tedford well.

The reason Tedford may leave is that the liberal faction at the school is blocking the expansion of the stadium and the building of locker rooms and a player's lounge, all important tools in recruiting these days.

They won't give him what he wants there for the program, which has created an opportunity for the right school to come along and land him.

I'd love Tedford but can he recruit Texas?

leroyjenkins
10-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I'd love Tedford but can he recruit Texas?

who makes their name doug collins, only a giant douche that drives a prius and lives in a crappy state that doesnt have an nba team would ever do that

psshh

timvp
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
http://www.mcspoll.com/gfx/coach_slocumrc2.jpg

Why not?

:smokin

BeerIsGood!
10-11-2007, 11:06 PM
They need to keep Fran. That mofo is very easy to hate.

Holt's Cat
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
http://www.mcspoll.com/gfx/coach_slocumrc2.jpg

Why not?

At least our defense wouldn't be torched by the Panhandle Pirate as it has been and will be tomorrow.

RonMexico
10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
who makes their name doug collins, only a giant douche that drives a prius and lives in a crappy state that doesnt have an nba team would ever do that

psshh

In addition to losing in the Olympics

degenerate_gambler
10-12-2007, 10:58 AM
At least our defense wouldn't be torched by the Panhandle Pirate as it has been and will be tomorrow.

Do all you aggies think they're going to get blown out tomorrow?

You guys aren't exactly going up against a run-stopping defense. Ball control, smash-mouth football and hope for a couple of turnovers from your defense and it could go south for Tech in a hurry.

Doug Collins
10-12-2007, 11:57 AM

psshh

At least I dont play WOW.

MoSpur
10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I would love to see RC back.

MoSpur
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I knew Fran was bad news the day they announced his signing.

leroyjenkins
10-12-2007, 03:19 PM

atleast im not an old white guy with old balls

mookie2001
10-12-2007, 04:06 PM
why not let andy slocum be coach?

rfbulletdude
10-12-2007, 04:30 PM
They may hold some sway, but at this point the few who may feel that way are past the point of lucidity to really matter.

Anyways, we'll probably end up with RC's bud Bob Davie.
I hope so, I like Bob Davie. I don't think he was given a fair shot at Notre Dame. But he did start as Def Coordinator at A&M way back when.

IcemanCometh
10-13-2007, 04:24 PM
why would anyone want to coach at aggy?

j-6
10-13-2007, 07:18 PM
The early leaders in the clubhouse are Tedford (Cal) and Tuberville (Auburn). Gonna be an interesting November.

I was hanging out with a couple of Aggies watching the Tech game and this subject was brought up numerous times. What makes the Ag faithful believe that they can get a guy like Tedford or Tuberville? These guys today were also talking about adding Jon Gruden, Mike Belotti, and my personal favorite, Mike Zimmer, to the list. Last time we got together (obviously pre-VIP scandal) they were talking about getting Major so I see the bar has been raised.

SC got an NFL washout. OU got a hot DC from a power program. Mack came from a basketball school. Florida hired away an up-and-comer from Utah in Meyer. Ohio State plucked a I-AA stud in Tressel.

LSU could be considered the exception, but who's to say that Michigan isn't going to try and snag Les Miles? There's an unofficial hierarchy in place here and A&M is above the Okie States of the world, granted. But unless your athletic deparment is willing to offer someone a Sabanesque deal, that name guy you're after is probably staying put in the program he already helped build/rebuild.

I'm sure some of this is because the Ags hired Fran away from Bama, but if I recall a lot of that move was involving him getting away from those crooked boosters and the sanctions the NCAA was imposing on the Tide.

mookie2001
10-13-2007, 07:33 PM
franchione gives white jesus more carries than goodsen again
he should lose his job for letting that happen AGAIN

mookie2001
10-13-2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=983099&forum_id=5

ROFL
this is why i read texags

why in the fuck would tedford even answer an aggy phone call?

these are the same people who wanted billy donovan to replace billy clyde

j-6
10-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I have the perfect coach. Recent national title, former Aggie assistant, D-1 head coaching experience, and big name guy with a Broyles Award.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/images/2001_02/main_images/coachmugs/davis_mug.jpg

You can take him whenever you're ready, Ags.

mookie2001
10-13-2007, 07:57 PM
and you know hes neocon

mookie2001
10-13-2007, 07:58 PM
whats mark farris been up to lately?

j-6
10-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Or Corey Pullig?

edit: Wikipedia is my friend. Marine lawyer. Ag-tastic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Pullig

j-6
10-13-2007, 08:04 PM

Speaking of, best thread running at Texags.

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=965416&forum_id=5

I am confident that we will win everygame this season (not including bowl game) that I am willing to give up my WoW account. I will give the name and password to the first person who wants it after/big if we lose a game. I have a level 70 blood elf paladin. The only game I am weary about is OU, so if we beat them(I think we will) I will throw in a custom made full-size costume of my character. I had this made for me, for last halloween. It is worth well over $500. Any takers?

I have updated my capabilities:

Gladiator's Ornamented Headcover
Binds when picked up
HeadPlate
1257 Armor
+52 Stamina
+30 Intellect
Meta Socket
Red Socket
Socket Bonus: +4 Resilience Rating
Classes: Paladin
Requires Level 70
Equip: Increases healing done by spells and effects by up to 57.
Equip: Improves spell critical strike rating by 21.
Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 32.

Gladiator's Redemption

Gladiator's Ornamented Chestguard
Gladiator's Ornamented Gloves
Gladiator's Ornamented Headcover
Gladiator's Ornamented Legplates
Gladiator's Ornamented Spaulders

2: +35 Resilience Rating.
4: Reduces the cooldown of your Hammer of Justice by 10 sec.

Gladiator's Ornamented Spaulders
Binds when picked up
ShouldersPlate
1160 Armor
+30 Stamina
+24 Intellect
Red Socket
Yellow Socket
Socket Bonus: +3 Resilience Rating
Durability: 100 / 100
Classes: Paladin
Requires Level 70
Equip: Improves spell critical strike rating by 23
Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 20
Equip: Increases healing done by spells and effects by up to 35.

Baba's Cloak of Arcanistry
Binds when picked up
Back
78 Armor
+15 Stamina
+15 Intellect
Requires Level 70
Equip: Improves spell critical strike rating by 14
Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 22.

Breastplate of Many Graces
Binds when picked up
ChestPlate
1135 Armor
+40 Stamina
+28 Intellect
Durability: 135 / 135
Requires Level 68
Equip: Increases healing done by spells and effects by up to 62.
Equip: Restores 11 mana per 5 sec.

Necklace of Eternal Hope
Binds when picked up
Unique
NeckMiscellaneous
+22 Stamina
+21 Intellect
Requires Level 70
Equip: Increases healing done by spells and effects by up to 48.
Equip: Restores 4 mana per 5 sec.

edit to clarify: since a couple people are already trying to take me up on this offer, I will say this. If we do lose a game (not including any bowl game--we always choke, don't know why) the first person to say on this thread they want the account and costume after 12:00am the morning of the game gets it. This should make it alittle more. Also, I am not doing this for nothing. I am doing it to make Aggies everywhere aware that the team can succeed this year. I believe in them, so should you!!

midgetonadonkey
10-13-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm an Aggie fan and I have to say they deserved to lose worse than they did because they didn't fire Fran after what he did. Karma is a bitch.

Fire that fuck now!!!

leemajors
10-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Speaking of, best thread running at Texags.

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=965416&forum_id=5
that's gotta be Doug Collins. Closet WoW!

leroyjenkins
10-14-2007, 01:43 AM
hhahahaaha hilarious

j-6
10-14-2007, 02:16 AM
I understand the hardon for Tuberville in College Station. Holding Jones and McFadden (sorry, Brut) to less than 70 yards combined is outstanding. But...

I have a hard time believing that a team with those two guys is that bad. Their QBing is so unreliable that McFadden goes under center - not on a trick play, but as an actual formation. The best guy the Hogs had is now at USC finding Matt Leinart's tasty leftovers while backing up the scout teamer all week.

Anyway, Auburn won. Again.

All of a sudden, Auburn is OK after winning three in a row. One of their losses was to a top 5 team and the rest of the season is manageable. Is Florida's scalp and 5-2 in the SEC better than 5-2 in the B12?

He's gonna kick Saban's ass, too.

Holt's Cat
10-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I understand the hardon for Tuberville in College Station. Holding Jones and McFadden (sorry, Brut) to less than 70 yards combined is outstanding. But...

I have a hard time believing that a team with those two guys is that bad. Their QBing is so unreliable that McFadden goes under center - not on a trick play, but as an actual formation. The best guy the Hogs had is now at USC finding Matt Leinart's tasty leftovers while backing up the scout teamer all week.

Anyway, Auburn won. Again.

Indeed. You have to take a shot at Tuberville once Fran is dropped. A&M can put the $ in front of him and perhaps he has not gotten over the AD or whoever attempting to replace him with Petrino a couple years back.

All of a sudden, Auburn is OK after winning three in a row. One of their losses was to a top 5 team and the rest of the season is manageable. Is Florida's scalp and 5-2 in the SEC better than 5-2 in the B12?

He's gonna kick Saban's ass, too.

5-2 in the SEC with one of those losses against one of the top 3 teams in the country and a win against the then #4 team on the road >>> 5-2 in the Big 12 with two losses against unranked opponents including yesterday's thrashing and your best win being a comeback win at home against Okie Light.

Holt's Cat
10-14-2007, 11:50 AM
I was hanging out with a couple of Aggies watching the Tech game and this subject was brought up numerous times. What makes the Ag faithful believe that they can get a guy like Tedford or Tuberville? These guys today were also talking about adding Jon Gruden, Mike Belotti, and my personal favorite, Mike Zimmer, to the list. Last time we got together (obviously pre-VIP scandal) they were talking about getting Major so I see the bar has been raised.

Such are college football fans.

As for Applewhite, that would be a real shot in the dark, one that could pay off handsomely, or burn out spectacularly.

I think you go for a proven and experienced winner at this point. Tuberville fits that profile. A&M would have to (and can) pony up the $ for him.

SC got an NFL washout. OU got a hot DC from a power program. Mack came from a basketball school. Florida hired away an up-and-comer from Utah in Meyer. Ohio State plucked a I-AA stud in Tressel.

True. I think someone like Pelini would be a solid hire all things considered. A&M needs a change in tone away from Fran's self-pitying and muddled brand of coaching. Bringing in a young aggressive DC from a top tier program might just be what the program needs. A&M needs someone who is not content to be semi-competitive at times and search for moral victories. Now that Fran has added some off the field stank to the program the change is needed even more.

LSU could be considered the exception, but who's to say that Michigan isn't going to try and snag Les Miles? There's an unofficial hierarchy in place here and A&M is above the Okie States of the world, granted. But unless your athletic deparment is willing to offer someone a Sabanesque deal, that name guy you're after is probably staying put in the program he already helped build/rebuild.

I think the pressure's on the AD to get someone proven, now. Slocum coasted through about 3 to 4 years more than he should of due to nothing more than an appreciation for cleaning up the mess Sherrill left. Hiring Fran was taking a shot at shaking up the RC complacency and taking a shot at reaching the next level. That experiment has utterly failed and the program has taken a step backwards from RC. Such are the breaks, but I'm not sure the fanbase is ready to give someone else 5 years to prove themselves.

I'm sure some of this is because the Ags hired Fran away from Bama, but if I recall a lot of that move was involving him getting away from those crooked boosters and the sanctions the NCAA was imposing on the Tide.

That was the idea.

Doug Collins
10-15-2007, 09:18 AM
that's gotta be Doug Collins. Closet WoW!

I would never chose to be a paladin. Level 56 wizard for me.

Doug Collins
10-15-2007, 09:20 AM
why not let andy slocum be coach?

Andy Slocum is a great humanitarian. I sold him a portable dvd player and got to drink with him post steriod scandal.

His gf was hot.

leroyjenkins
10-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Andy Slocum is a great humanitarian. I sold him a portable dvd player and got to drink with him post steriod scandal.

His gf was hot.

i think you were just jealous you werent his gf. :ihit

RonMexico
10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
i think you were just jealous you werent his gf. :ihit

I boned her... while watching a porno on a Toshiba DVD player.

O-Factor
10-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Damn that sucks, I loved Fran at a&m.

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/texas_longhorns_200x120.jpg

leemajors
10-17-2007, 08:48 AM
do you think there's any way byrne didn't know about d-fran selling injury sheets?

degenerate_gambler
10-17-2007, 10:30 AM
do you think there's any way byrne didn't know about d-fran selling injury sheets?

hard to say. the newletter starting in '04 right? that's a long time for an AD not to at least catch a whiff of it from somebody somewhere.

Brutalis
10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
You're a retard if you think Tommy is leaving Auburn. Simple as that.

RonMexico
10-18-2007, 12:54 PM
You're a retard if you think Tommy is leaving Auburn. Simple as that.

You're a retard if you think Houston is leaving Hog Heaven. Even simpler.

Holt's Cat
10-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Muschamp (http://ballhype.com/story/auburn_def_coach_will_muschamp_calls_ark_motherf_c kers/) might be worth elevating outright. Then again, that was only against the piggies.