PDA

View Full Version : aj is still talking smack on tp

ducks
10-11-2007, 11:41 AM
http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Ma...ok_100907.html

Make no mistake, the Mavericks and Spurs are rivals. That doesn’t mean the people that inhabit both ends of the I-35 rivalry aren’t people. Or can’t be friends.

One aspect of San Antonio’s latest title touched more than a few who wear “Dallas” across their chests. The respect for teammate Michael Finley from within the Mavs organization hasn't waned.

“I was happy for him,” close friend Dirk Nowitzki said before Tuesday night’s preseason opener against San Antonio at American Airlines Center.

“He deserves it more than anyone. He worked hard his whole career and has always been a great professional.”

Nowitzki’s feelings mirror those he had when buddy Steve Nash claimed his first MVP. The Big Three hoped to experience the ultimate together, but apart they’ve continued to succeed.

Jerry Stackhouse also appreciates Finley’s path. Both were first-round draft picks in 1995 and have at least three teams on their résumés.

“We’ve all had successful careers when it comes to what’s happened between the lines, but when you can look back and say you were on a championship team, you can’t ever take that for granted,” Stackhouse said. “I was happy for Fin. I was disappointed the year we went to the Finals and him missing that, but it came full circle for him. I know he would feel the same way for guys like myself who have been on the same roller coaster of NBA life.”

Stackhouse ran into Finley’s wife during the playoffs and wished his former teammate luck, adding “we’re all family in a lot of ways.”

“That’s what it’s about. It’s about being able to persevere in this league,” Stackhouse said. “The year right after he left and he went to San Antonio and we put them out of the playoffs, I’m pretty sure that was a tough time. He just kept persevering and persevering and saw that light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully we can achieve that same thing. We’re all happy for Fin.”

As for Finley, he hasn’t stopped beaming since June. He actually slept with the game ball from Game 4 of the Finals – San Antonio swept Cleveland – for several weeks after the series.

“I wanted that ball,” he said. “I wanted to savor the moment as long as I could. It was a long time coming.”

AJ-Pop back-and-forth

Avery Johnson also couldn’t help but poke a little fun at his former team. “The coach is average,” he quipped, “but the players are great.”

As expected, San Antonio skipper Gregg Popovich shot back: “Everything I learned I learned from him, so he didn’t teach me very much.”

That sort of banter has gone on for years.

“He always likes to poke fun at me,” Johnson reminded. “That’s going to be an ongoing deal. I’m just disappointed he’s softer on Tony Parker than he was on me.”

Parker didn’t play Tuesday. He wasn’t injured, Popovich just wanted to rest his star point guard after a summer playing for the French national team. Johnson never received that kind of treatment.

“Sit out a preseason game? Are you kidding me?” Johnson cracked. “I don’t think if I would have gotten married in Paris if [Popovich] would have come.”

It wasn’t all jokes. Johnson was asked about the Spurs’ decision to retire his number in a ceremony Dec. 22 at the SBC Center.

“What a thrill,” he said. “What an honor. It’s pretty special. You often go into different arenas around the NBA and they’re not many guys whose jerseys are hanging in the rafters.”

How ’bout them Cowboys

Like most of Dallas, Avery Johnson was glued to the set last night for Cowboys-Bills. (He probably flipped over to "Dancing with the Stars" during commercials.)

“That was a pretty exciting game and the funny thing is you just had a feeling they were going to win it all along,” Johnson said. “I guess Owens said their guy [Nick Folk] kicked a 106-yarder.”

Johnson is good friends with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and made a prediction when the two had dinner last week.

“I kinda told him he was going to be 5-0, so I guess I’m right,” Johnson admitted.

So is there a lesson to learn in the Cowboy’s wild 25-24 comeback win?

“You just never give up,” Johnson preached. “Like I tell my guys all the times during our championship games with the Spurs, people talking about me hitting the shot, but I had six turnovers in the first half.

“And Tony Romo had a lot of turnovers, so you just hang in there. I like to see teams that are mentally tough. I was more impressed with their win last night than I was with the other four.”

Layups

• Avery Johnson’s goal going into Tuesday night’s “simulated game” against San Antonio was to get everybody who’s healthy some minutes. His plan for this preseason, which is always subject to change, is to get his main guys into about six or seven of the eight games.

• Gana Diop was in starting lineup Tuesday after missing Monday’s practice dealing with a head cold. The seventh-year center reported he's down to about 270 pounds from his listed 280 of last season.

• Speaking of weight, Devin Harris has dropped seven pounds since the start of camp. He had gained 15 pounds of muscle during the offseason.

• Devean George reported his rehab remains on schedule and he hopes to begin treadmill work in a couple days.

theroc5
10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I cant stand him, never have and I dont think that will change soon.

hater
10-11-2007, 11:46 AM
He's got a point. but then again AJ as PG is shit compared to TP as PG

Jimcs50
10-11-2007, 11:50 AM
How is this talking smack??? :rolleyes

phyzik
10-11-2007, 11:56 AM

+1

I could have sworn he was joking around. If anything its smack talk towards Pop for going soft.

duncan228
10-11-2007, 11:56 AM
The NBA never got over the ratings loss after the (legitimate) Bird/Magic rivalry.
Jordan was great for ratings, but there hasn't been a big time rivalry since Bird/Magic.
One that brings in people to watch just for the build up of the :dramaquee , not that they actually like or care about the game.
Kind of like the games they choose to run on Christmas.

So...Let's stoke the fire and make the Spurs/Mavs a bigger rivalry than it is to get "average fan" watching.

SenorSpur
10-11-2007, 12:13 PM

I don't see the smack either.

Oh, Gee!!
10-11-2007, 12:15 PM
nah, dems just jokes

Kori Ellis
10-11-2007, 12:24 PM
+1

I could have sworn he was joking around. If anything its smack talk towards Pop for going soft.

Exactly. It's just good natured ribbing. I don't get where he's talking smack about TP either. :wtf

boutons_
10-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Pop was damn hard on Tony, in public, repeatedly, in the 01-03 period, everybody knows that. To both their credits, it paid off.

Solid D
10-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Screenshot of translation

WELCOME TO SPURSTALK GARBLEFISH TRANSLATION TOOL!

Translate Text
Original text:
"aj is still talking smack on tp"
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Automatically translated text:
= Here's an article with AJ jabbing with Pop about him getting soft by holding TP out of the game.

Language Key
Arabic to English - BETAChinese to English - BETAChinese (Simplified to Traditional) BETAChinese (Traditional to Simplified) - BETAEnglish to Arabic - BETAEnglish to Chinese (Simplified) - BETAEnglish to Chinese (Traditional) - BETAEnglish to FrenchEnglish to GermanEnglish to ItalianEnglish to Japanese BETAEnglish to Korean BETAEnglish to PortugueseEnglish to Russian - BETAEnglish to SpanishFrench to EnglishFrench to GermanGerman to EnglishGerman to FrenchItalian to English - Ducks to English - Japanese to English BETAKorean to English BETAPortuguese to EnglishRussian to English BETASpanish to English
Suggest a better translation

Thank you for contributing your translation suggestion to Spurstalk Garblefish Translate. We'll use your suggestion to improve translation quality in future updates to our system.

Translate a Web Page

Oh, Gee!!
10-11-2007, 12:35 PM
looolllzzz

ducks
10-11-2007, 12:35 PM
saying pop was soft on him is stupid and smack
he already said he was not a man anyhow just a kid
he is making refernance that tp could not handle it
boutons is right POP was very hard on him to begin with
also duncan was to

whottt
10-11-2007, 12:38 PM
boutons is right

Does not compute.

C'mon ducks...you're better than this.

Jimcs50
10-11-2007, 12:41 PM
also duncan was to

Pop, like his wines, has mellowed with age. All great coaches do that, as they no longer have anything to prove and they have a lot more respect from their players.

Oh, Gee!!
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
plus TP was frustrating as hell back in the day

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-11-2007, 01:06 PM
The smack is in the words he doesn't say. I don't see a public acknowledgement that Tim Duncan is the greatest PF ever. Nor does he mention that Manu is an accomplished champion at all levels. And his failure to hail Mahinmi as the next Kevin Garnett is what hurts the most.

Jimcs50
10-11-2007, 01:13 PM
The smack is in the words he doesn't say. I don't see a public acknowledgement that Tim Duncan is the greatest PF ever. Nor does he mention that Manu is an accomplished champion at all levels. And his failure to hail Mahinmi as the next Kevin Garnett is what hurts the most.

He also did not say that the Spurs were God's team and that is just plain assinine.

Solid D
10-11-2007, 01:18 PM
:lol People. Nothing but friends, who are part of the coaching community, bantering back and forth with each other. This has nothing to do with TP. Pop probably was hard on AJ, but Pop is hard on TP also. Pop seldom lets up on TP during the season, in fact.

TP is a FINALS MVP superstar who played overseas in the summer. Pop holding his FINALS MVP superstar PG out of games or 4-on-4 drills so that he can work with his strength coach to help get him ready for the long, war ahead is smart, not soft.

See the article for what it is. Coaches bantering with each other.

Rummpd
10-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Honestly I am not sure he deserves to be in the rafters. He hit one big shot, but he was always IMO a liability at point and teams just sagged on Robinson and doubled off on other guards. He is certainly not in the league with others hanging in the rafters.

Career stats from nba.com 8.4 PPG and 5.5 A
Simply not awe inspiring.

2centsworth
10-11-2007, 01:20 PM
there's no smack. TP lovers need to get over themselves. Not everyone needs to french kiss TP to show love.

Hemotivo
10-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Everyone needs to french kiss TP to show love.
He always complains of bad treatment by Pop.
He's the Finals MVP. TP needs recognition.

spursfan09
10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
So what? Somebody needs to French kiss TP? I'm available.

Hemotivo
10-11-2007, 09:30 PM
So what? Somebody needs to French kiss TP? I'm available.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/aquatek/benStillerDoIt.jpg

mavs>spurs2
10-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Talking smack? I guess some people are just too damn sensitive, DUCKS

BeerIsGood!
10-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm pissed. I was expecting some smack and got nothing.

T Park
10-11-2007, 11:53 PM
ducks needs to go on a hiatus.

timmy21_4rings
10-12-2007, 12:09 AM
http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Ma...ok_100907.html

“Sit out a preseason game? Are you kidding me?” Johnson cracked. “I don’t think if I would have gotten married in Paris if [Popovich] would have come.”[/B]

This might be my 3rd or 4th post abt not understanding AJ's English. I have not had any complaints with anyone in general.

How do I interpret his comments? Too many if

“I don’t think if I would have gotten married in Paris [Popovich] would have come.”??

or

“I don’t think I would have gotten married in Paris if [Popovich] would have come.”???

SequSpur
10-12-2007, 12:10 AM
6 turnovers and he gets his jersey retired. What a fucking nightmare.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2007, 05:53 AM
AJ was on the floor during preseason games because he was fighting for a roster spot.

spurs2008
10-12-2007, 11:36 AM
He's anti-SPURS now, so he talks smack. He should be proud and thankful that he got a ring before he retires. Be a SPURS and get a ring.... :)

Buddy Holly
10-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Holy shit, I think Duck's Lebron hatred has started to affect his entire brain. HOW THE FUCK is that SMACK TALK? Seriously... did you eat paint chips as a child Ducks?

E20
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I'd like to know once and for all:

Why is ducks on TP's snatch so HARD????

vander
10-12-2007, 01:57 PM
This might be my 3rd or 4th post abt not understanding AJ's English. I have not had any complaints with anyone in general.

How do I interpret his comments? Too many if

“I don’t think if I would have gotten married in Paris [Popovich] would have come.”??

or

“I don’t think I would have gotten married in Paris if [Popovich] would have come.”???

yeah, I think I need that interpreted as well

spursfan09
10-12-2007, 10:33 PM
I bet it sucks to have talking smack on you. I mean its sucks when smack is about you, but when it's on you...damn.

itzsoweezee
10-13-2007, 07:46 PM
also duncan was to

you really are a dumb bitch, aren't you?

GrandeDavid
10-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I think it was all cool. No smack whatsoever. There's lots of respect from both sides, a healthy top notch rivalry.

ducks
10-14-2007, 09:47 AM
you really are a dumb bitch, aren't you?
:rolleyes

Brutalis
10-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Yo, Avery, you little thieving bitch. You wasn't 20 percent the PG Parker is. So take your big dumb down syndrome looking retard ass back to zero accomplishment land.

...is what I would say if I ever met him.

AJ is just like Isiah Thomas. Acts all cool and shit yet betrays every handshake he had.

Kriz-Maxima
10-14-2007, 10:51 AM
:dramaquee