PDA

View Full Version : An Inconvenient Judgement

Wild Cobra
10-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Al Gores movie, An Inconvenient Truth, gets a well deserved legal finding in England:

Al Gore’s inconvenient judgment (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/corporate_law/article2633838.ece). Part of the article:

Al Gore’s award-winning climate change documentary was littered with nine inconvenient untruths, a judge ruled yesterday.

An Inconvenient Truth won plaudits from the environmental lobby and an Oscar from the film industry but was found wanting when it was scrutinised in the High Court in London.

Mr Justice Burton identified nine significant errors within the former presidential candidate’s documentary as he assessed whether it should be shown to school children. He agreed that Mr Gore’s film was “broadly accurate” in its presentation of the causes and likely effects of climate change but said that some of the claims were wrong and had arisen in “the context of alarmism and exaggeration”.

The analysis by the judge will have a bearing on whether the Government can continue with its plan to have the film shown in every secondary school. He agreed it could be shown but on the condition that it was accompanied by new guidance notes for teachers to balance Mr Gore’s “one-sided” views.

The Government’s decision to show the film in secondary schools had come under attack from Stewart Dim-mock, a school governor in Kent and a member of political group the New Party, who accused the Government of brainwashing children.

George Gervin's Afro
10-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Cool global warming doesn't exist anyway.

Oh, Gee!!
10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
activist judges!!!!

Wild Cobra
10-11-2007, 12:30 PM
activist judges!!!!
You call placing restrictions of offering propaganda in schools activism?

This ruling effectively keeps activism out!

Oh, Gee!!
10-11-2007, 12:38 PM
just seems like something the school should decide for itself, and not the big, bad nat'l gov't

ChumpDumper
10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
So now we pay attention to foreign court decisions....

xrayzebra
10-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Well Gore is getting ready for his peace prize......

« Carolyn Lochhead:... | Main | Carla Marinucci:... »
Carla Marinucci: UPDATE - Gore cancels appearance at Boxer fundraiser

Sen. Barbara Boxer's office just contacted us to say former Vice President Al Gore has been called "overseas" for a trip related to his work on global warming and has canceled his scheduled appearance Thursday in San Francisco at a fundraiser for Boxer's re-election effort. So the Boxer fundraiser -- which was to include Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne -- is off until Nov. 9.

Here's a note Boxer sent supporters about the change:

I just got a call from Vice President Al Gore. He told me that he needs to travel abroad tomorrow for an exciting and urgent mission that could result in a major breakthrough in the fight against global warming.

Unfortunately, this means that we must postpone our Thursday, October 11th event with him until Friday, November 9th. I wanted to be sure to e-mail you tonight in case you were planning on attending.

While I am really disappointed that we won't see Al Gore until next month, I am thrilled that he is continuing to provide critical leadership to address one of the most pressing issues of our time. You should know that only the most urgent global warming mission has called him out of the country.

I look forward to seeing you on November 9th so we can all hear first-hand about Al Gore's latest exciting initiatives. We will be back in touch in the coming days with more details about the rescheduled event.

Thank you so much for your continued friendship and support!

Barbara Boxer

Posted By: Carla Marinucci (Email) | October 10 2007 at 09:07 PM

Walter Craparita
10-11-2007, 03:37 PM
whoah whoah whoah.

Global Warming DOES EXIST! Please don't take our grant money away!

FromWayDowntown
10-11-2007, 05:10 PM
So now we pay attention to foreign court decisions....

First it's Medellin v. Texas . . . now this.

Wild Cobra
10-11-2007, 07:09 PM
just seems like something the school should decide for itself, and not the big, bad nat'l gov't
I don't know about the schools in England, but apparently they do things right. You teach the facts in school, not propaganda. I wish our American schools would stop indoctrinating kids.

Nbadan
10-12-2007, 01:03 AM
One of the "errors" was that there's no "proof" that Global Climate Change is causing the melting of the snows of Kilimanjaro.

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7037671.stm)

These people have gotten a hold of too much of that Afghani heroin....

101A
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Creationism, Corso!

Pretty good analogy, frankly.

I would equate many fundamentalist, young earth believing cooks with the environmentalist religious zealots any day.

smeagol
10-12-2007, 01:32 PM
They showed it in my 5 year old's school. Nobody complained.

Their concert was about how to take care of the Earth. Those wicked kids!

mookie2001
10-12-2007, 01:39 PM
global warming is real
BUT
just watch a democratic president will use it exactly like the neocons use terrorism

to spend billions, make new laws and regulations, and take a away individuals freedom

spurster
10-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Some parts of the article inconvenient to the ostrich crowd:

Despite finding nine significant errors the judge said many of the claims made by the film were fully backed up by the weight of science. He identified “four main scientific hypotheses, each of which is very well supported by research published in respected, peer-reviewed journals and accords with the latest conclusions of the IPCC”.

In particular, he agreed with the main thrust of Mr Gore’s arguments: “That climate change is mainly attributable to man-made emissions of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide (‘greenhouse gases’).”

The other three main points accepted by the judge were that global temperatures are rising and are likely to continue to rise, that climate change will cause serious damage if left unchecked, and that it is entirely possible for governments and individuals to reduce its impacts.

So I agree with you that the good judge is right.

clambake
10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
The people that think global warming is a hoax are the very same ocean floor dwelling fish shit eating worthless scubbers that think we're in Iraq for noble reasons.

Jamtas#2
10-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Regardless what you think of Gore, isn't it better to err on the side of caution and try to not harm the environment around us as much?

Wild Cobra
10-12-2007, 07:31 PM
The people that think global warming is a hoax are the very same ocean floor dwelling fish shit eating worthless scubbers that think we're in Iraq for noble reasons.
Most of us deniers are not saying global warming is a hoax. We are saying it is not attributed by our activity to any significant degree, and that films like "An Inconvenient Truth" Are twisted to the point of propaganda.

More recent scientific studies into the area prove Al Gore wrong on most his points anyway.