PDA

View Full Version : Randy Couture Leaves the UFC...

LEONARD
10-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Holy $hit!! What a kick in the balls for Dana White (among others).

I knew Randy hated working for Dana, but didn't see this coming...

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=5085

COUTURE QUITS UFC

MMA Icon Walks Away From Promotion In Stunning Move

By Brian Knapp

At the height of its power and popularity, the Ultimate Fighting Championship today lost the man many recognize as the face of mixed martial arts. UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture announced his resignation from the Las Vegas-based promotion, leaving two contracted fights, his job as an on-air analyst and his heavyweight crown on the table.

In South Africa shooting scenes for his lead role in the upcoming feature film “The Scorpion King – Rise of the Akkadian,” Couture made the announcement official in a letter to UFC president Dana White. The UFC’s inability to land PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko played a prominent role in the decision to walk away, according to Couture.

“I appreciate this opportunity the sport of MMA and the UFC has given me,” the UFC Hall-of-Famer said. “However, I’m tired of swimming upstream at this stage with the management of the UFC. It only makes sense at this point in my career to fight Fedor Emelianenko, and since he’s now signed with another organization, I feel like it’s time to resign and focus on my other endeavors.”

His abrupt departure deals a significant blow to the world’s most visible MMA organization. Couture was not only a beloved competitor – White once called him “the greatest fighter in UFC history” – but also a revered spokesman for a company that had long struggled to gain mainstream acceptance.

“Randy’s contract was on a fight-by-fight basis, and that’s the way he said he was always going to take it – fight by fight,” said Matt Walker, Couture’s agent at The Gersh Agency. “His acting career is accelerating at an astronomical rate, and without the support he felt some of his peers were receiving in the fight business, this was the logical choice.”

A three-time All-American wrestler at Oklahoma State University, Couture won four national championships in Greco-Roman wrestling and made four attempts at qualifying for the Olympics. He made his MMA debut at UFC 13 on May 13, 1997, where, at age 33, he won a heavyweight tournament, defeating Tony Halme and Steven Graham on the same night. Just seven months later, he toppled famed kickboxer Maurice Smith in Yokohama, Japan to win the UFC heavyweight crown for the first time.

Over the course of the next decade, Couture emerged as one of the most decorated mixed martial artists in history. The UFC’s only six-time champion, he captured the heavyweight belt three times, the light heavyweight title twice and an interim light heavyweight title, as well. Couture remains the only man to win UFC championships in two weight classes.

His run through the promotion included a memorable trilogy with light heavyweight rival Chuck Liddell, the only opponent to beat Couture twice. Following his third bout with Liddell in February 2006, Couture announced his first retirement.

As 2007 dawned, his desire to compete returned, and a four-fight contract with the UFC – which included the opportunity to fight Tim Sylvia for the heavyweight strap at UFC 68 in March – was presented to Couture. He accepted, and the wheels for an historic comeback were set in motion.

Couture floored Sylvia with an overhand right seconds into the bout and punished the 6-foot-8 giant over five rounds. Playing to chants of “Randy!” he regained the heavyweight title for an unprecedented third time in front of 19,049 fans at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. Five months later, at the age of 44, he defeated rising contender Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74, stopping the young Brazilian by third-round TKO despite suffering a broken left arm. It would be his final appearance in the Octagon.

Couture (16-8) leaves behind an unrivaled legacy in the sport. Fifteen of his 24 career bouts were title fights, and he bested six former UFC champions – Liddell, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz and Sylvia among them. Always willing to meet a challenge, Couture consistently tested himself against the world’s premier fighters. The 19 men he fought (he squared off with Pedro Rizzo twice and Liddell and Belfort three times each) hold 357 victories between them.

atxrocker
10-11-2007, 01:52 PM
lmao... couture is leading "actor" for a cheesy scorpion king spin off? love randy's heart but if he is quiting to focus on other "endeavors" that include starring in c movies then his logic is lost on me.

desflood
10-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, there goes the only heavyweight I could root for.

2centsworth
10-11-2007, 02:01 PM
MMA is dying.

Evan
10-11-2007, 03:48 PM
lmao... couture is leading "actor" for a cheesy scorpion king spin off? love randy's heart but if he is quiting to focus on other "endeavors" that include starring in c movies then his logic is lost on me.

MMA is getting so big he is making a fortune running his gym and doing clinics.

Evan
10-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Well, there goes the only heavyweight I could root for.

Really? That far with him?

I still love the old AA...I like Vera....old Heath....Big Nog....

and Randy... :pctoss

LEONARD
10-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Sherdog exclusive...sounds like he wants to wait 9 months and then chase Fedor...
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=9455

Dana White chimes in...
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8236

Evan
10-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Just stunned........past few days...wow

tlongII
10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Obviously Randy wants a big payday with Fedor. I don't blame him. It would be a great fight.

tsb2000
10-11-2007, 06:49 PM
You should check out the ESPN.com column. Apparently Couture left over money, and felt like he was disrespected by White.

dallaskd
10-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Im dissapointed he left with his remaining 2 fights, his amazing story, and all his momentum. People were arguing about him as the #1 HW with Fedor sitting on his ass. Too bad...Randy is one of top 3 all time favs. The only way i want Randy coming back is if it's for the UFC and against Fedor. He's still my boy, It's ashame he isn't broadcasting for the UFC anymore. I hope he still stays active in MMA and the UFC. Will he be running Xtreme Couture? I hope he doesn't abandon his roots for an acting career.

dallaskd
10-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Notice UFC.com has one article covering this. The rest is about TUF and 77. :lol
Dana is a bitch. :lol

dallaskd
10-11-2007, 07:59 PM
As one legend retires, a new one is born. Check out the sig!

djohn14
10-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I love the sig dallaskd...My new favorite heavyweight fighter is....Cheick "The Freak" Kongo.

Mr Dio
10-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Love it, absolutely freakin' love it.

Randy, a total class guy who rather then run from fights & go to some other continent chooses to come outta retirement because the HW div was slipping to pride level.
Now, rather than make a big hoopla & do some kinda of contract dispute/holdout he just sez, "Phuckit, I'll do something else".........

Doing it for the love of the sport & not the $$$... You're TITS Capt America!

BV, the div is yours for the taking if you take it seriously.

oligarchy
10-12-2007, 07:23 AM
I, for one, do not believe that money has no part in this. Rather, I believe it is about the money, at least to some degree. Yes, of course, to some degree it's about Fedor. Though, he clearly states that if Fedor were to sign, he wanted to be paid equally. Also, he didn't retire. He resigned from the UFC. He has 9 months remaining on his contract, therefore there could be a possibility of a Fedor/Randy fight in M-1 in the July timeframe next year. If Randy doesn't fight again, I think it's a big loss.

desflood
10-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Really? That far with him?

I still love the old AA...I like Vera....old Heath....Big Nog....

and Randy... :pctoss
Well, even when Randy loses, he's got fire about it. He throws everything out the window and fights like it's his last. AA and Herring have really been lacking spirit in their last few outings. Please, don't get me wrong here, I still cheer them on; I'm not fickle like most women :p: But it's hard to watch a fight when the biggest name in it looks like he dragged himself out of bed half an hour before. If I'm being paid thousands of dollars to fight, you can bet the farm I'm not going to lay on top of the guy for three rounds or dance around him for five.

Evan
10-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Ok gotcha.

This will be interesting to see how it all plays out. This is such a new sport and were seeing this new sport evolve from the ground up right in front of us and chaos like this is to be expected. Were in for a lot more highs and lows. For example, looks like the IFL is doing everything it can to make their fighters as angry as possible.The Grand Prix was the best idea they have ever had and they are messing it up. I wouldn't be surprised if they implode next year. From reports on mmaweekly.com (I think) EliteXC is pretty far in the red and yet they are somewhow signing 1 and 2 year contracts with fighters. So much more good and bad ahead of us....

So for Randy, I don't think a champion should ever make one penny less than the contender, so there should be some sort of flex contract if your a champion. Another thing to consider to add into the rest of what we know, Randy is 44. Who knows how many injuries he is nursing. Randy is now a brand name in MMA so why keep fighting...

I think this last week is the worst week in the UFC's history since they (and all MMA) got banned from PPV in the late 90's. They lost HBO, Fedor and Randy. Were going to now see what kind of damage control they have to fix things.

Evan
10-12-2007, 08:00 AM
BV, the div is yours for the taking if you take it seriously.

Yeah. He claims his goal is to have the belt in HW and LHW. Now its possible.

Evan
10-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Number one video on foxnews.com

WATCH Fox News Video
Top Video
Couture Quits
MMA Shocker: UFC stalwart calls it a career

LEONARD
10-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Man is Dana White fishtailing or what??? He's blaming it on everything but him self. And he's still talking like Randy retired when he's cleared said he hasn't.

White Responds to Couture Resignation

October 12, 2007
by Greg Savage ([email protected])

A clueless Hollywood agent, Internet Web sites, Fedor Emelianenko's (Pictures) management team and Randy Couture's (Pictures) age top UFC president Dana White's list of reasons why "The Natural" is no longer affiliated his promotion.

"I consider Randy Couture (Pictures) a friend and still do," White told UFC.com editor Thomas Gerbasi. "He hooked up with some Hollywood agent that I b---- slapped about a month ago, and these Hollywood agents are parasites, so unfortunately this guy is probably in Randy's ear right now. But, that's the world Randy wants to be in; Randy wants to be in the movie world now, that's what he's working for and that's his guy right now."

Speaking with Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole, White also blamed the fervent MMA Internet community for Couture's belief that he is being underpaid by the UFC.

"This business is like a beauty salon," White told Iole. "These guys are all the toughest guys in the world, but they're like (expletives) in a beauty salon. They pass along rumors and gossip, which has no basis in reality and they believe all the (rumors) they hear. The Internet is very powerful and one of the best promotional tools we have, but it's a crazy place.

"They hear these rumors and they believe them and then they get insulted like (expletives) after we try to talk reality with them. They'll say, ‘Well, this guy is getting this much,' but when I ask where they heard it, it's never a contract, it's always, ‘I read it on the Internet.' It's crazy."

Couture recalled to Sherdog.com a meeting with White and UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta during which he felt he was lied to regarding his financial status amongst other top UFC fighters.

"You want to call me a liar, people think a lot of bad stuff about me anyway, but to call Lorenzo Fertitta a liar, the reason the sport exists right now is because of him and his brother (Frank)," White responded. "They've done nothing but good things for this sport, and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him and his brother. You ask anybody in Las Vegas about the reputation of the Fertitta family; they aren't liars, they are great people. So for him to say that about Lorenzo, it's not like Randy Couture (Pictures). It's not like him."

Couture told Sherdog.com he came to believe he wasn't being paid what other frontline UFC competitors were making for fighting in the Octagon.

"All us athletes are all pretty tightly intertwined," Couture said Thursday from South Africa, where is filming ‘The Scorpion King - Rise of the Akkadian.' "You hear what other guys were paid signing bonuses and what other guys were paid on the record and off the record with bonuses. I've heard Chuck's numbers. Tito's numbers. Hughes' numbers. Quinton's numbers. Cro Cop, Wanderlei. I heard what they were offering Fedor, and it's insulting."

White generally ignored discussion of Couture's contract except to say "The Natural" negotiated it on his own behalf and was happy with the deal when he signed it.

Couture, who stated he was resigning from the UFC and not retiring from mixed martial arts, made it clear that a lack of respect from upper management at Zuffa (the UFC's parent company) as well as the lost prospect of fighting Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) were the main reasons for his decision to relinquish the title and give up his position as a spokesman for the UFC.

Contract negotiations between the UFC and Emelianenko's group were well publicized since August. Earlier this week, the Fight Network reported that Emelianekno had decided against going to the UFC in favor of joining the M-1 Mixfight group.

That decision was a determining factor in Couture's decision to resign.

Knowing he would not now sign Fedor, and coping with the loss of perhaps his biggest star, White dug into the PRIDE heavyweight champion and his camp.

"The negotiations with those guys were so nutty that at this point, I don't give (an expletive) if he ever comes with us," White said of the Russian heavyweight's representatives, which include Emelianenko's longtime manager Vadim Finkelstein.

Those comments mark a 180-degree turn from past statements made by the outspoken boss of the UFC. Since the acquisition of PRIDE FC in March of this year White has maintained that Emelianenko would end up in the Octagon, claiming as recently as last month that the Russian would fight for the UFC heavyweight crown in his first fight for the promotion.

"Fedor has that mystique where people think he's No. 1, which I don't agree with," White told UFC.com. "I think that Fedor is completely overrated -- he's fought Mark Coleman (Pictures) and Matt Lindland (Pictures) in the last year, with Mark Hunt (Pictures) being his only legitimate opponent -- and I actually think that Randy Couture (Pictures) would have smashed Fedor."

Couture has repeatedly talked about his desire to fight Fedor for the reason White now appears to be bashing the Russian: he is perceived to be the best in the world.

While Couture told Sherdog.com nine months remain on his contract, thus barring him from negotiating for a fight with Emelianenko or anyone else outside the UFC before July 2008, White saw things quite differently.

Asked if that figure was accurate, White told UFC.com: "Absolutely not."

Though Couture went public with his case, White said he feels their relationship is not beyond repair.

"I love him, I respect him," White said of Couture. "I still consider him my friend and just like any friendship, we don't see eye to eye all the time, but if you're true friends, you work it out, and I consider Randy Couture (Pictures) a true friend, and I honestly believe that when he comes home from filming, and when his scumbag Hollywood agent isn't around, we'll talk and we'll square away our friendship."

The structure of the UFC heavyweight division after Thursday's sudden news has not been devastated, White said.

"I don't think it affects the division at all because after what we've seen over the last couple of years, anybody can win or lose on any given night," he said. "It's what makes this sport so exciting. And now it's like this big shocking news that Randy Couture (Pictures) retired. He's 44 years old, he's not 24. Is everybody really that shocked that Randy retired? Randy Couture (Pictures) has had an amazing career, he's an incredible athlete, he's pulled off more upsets, and has been the underdog so many times, what's really left out there for him? I think he would have put a stone cold beating on Fedor, and he would have walked away with the same thing that he's walking away with now. He's walking out on top, and walking out on top is a smart thing to do. And it's perfect for his acting career."

The problem for Zuffa and the UFC, however, stems from the fact that Couture did not retire from mixed martial arts … he simply resigned from the UFC.

"People were saying to me four months ago that Chuck Liddell (Pictures) was the face of the UFC," White said, defending the status of his company. "Randy Couture (Pictures) and Chuck Liddell (Pictures) are two of many faces of the UFC. The UFC has the greatest fighters in the world, and Randy Couture (Pictures) and Chuck Liddell (Pictures) might be two of the best known fighters in the UFC, but everybody pulls their weight in this company and everybody works hard for it. Randy Couture (Pictures), Chuck Liddell (Pictures), Matt Hughes (Pictures), Rich Franklin (Pictures), Joe Rogan, these are guys who were with us early on who I credit for helping us get to where we are today. Is Randy Couture (Pictures) the face of the UFC? No, he's one of many faces of the UFC, but he is one of the guys who helped us get here."

You should check out the ESPN.com column. Apparently Couture left over money, and felt like he was disrespected by White.

ESPN = Sherdog

Evan
10-12-2007, 08:51 AM
good read.....

LEONARD
10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/ZeeGerman/lulz.jpg

:oops

Evan
10-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Genius

SAtoDallas
10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Wow big loss for the UFC HW division.

Evan
10-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Fedor may be coming to the UFC after all

http://www.signfedor.com/

LEONARD
10-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Fedor may be coming to the UFC after all

http://www.signfedor.com/

No chance...probably just confusion...

The new M1 owner doesn't have anything to do with Zuffa. Gross says it's an off the radar kinda guy...

dallaskd
10-13-2007, 01:45 AM
Intresting Randy article. His top 10 fights...

October 12, 2007
by Mike Sloan ([email protected])

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/news/2007_10/9462.jpg

If Randy Couture (Pictures) never fights in the UFC again, I'm fairly certain that the fight world would forgive him.

Couture is without question one of the greatest fighters to ever step foot into a cage or a ring, a man revered for his unfathomable victories when everything was stacked against him.

He has toppled -- handily, I might add -- a who's who of mixed martial artists, and he's done it repeatedly on the greatest stages in the sport. He's claimed and reclaimed world titles multiple times at both heavyweight and light heavyweight, and his accomplishments will never be questioned.

In the wake of Thursday's shocking news that Couture notified the UFC he no longer had an interest in holding their belt and also stepped down from commentating and ambassador roles in the company, let's take a look back at what I consider to be the 10 greatest fights of his career in the UFC, all of which helped create the legend that is Randy Couture (Pictures).

10) Couture vs. Vitor Belfort (Pictures) III, UFC 49
When Randy Couture (Pictures) climbed into the Octagon on the smoldering night of Aug. 21, 2004, "The Natural" was again trying to reclaim his lost title. In his previous outing, Couture had lost his light heavyweight belt to Belfort after a glancing punch and the threading of Belfort's glove lacerated his eye.

In the rubber match and main event of UFC 49, a large number of MMA "experts" figured that Couture had finally reached his peak and was about to become a steppingstone. Wow, were these experts just a little off target.

Couture dominated his younger, quicker and more athletic opponent and wound up pummeling Belfort so badly, so savagely that "The Phenom" had to be rescued by his corner after the third round. A battered, bloody and beleaguered Belfort had never before been so brutally punished.

The loss was so devastating that the Brazilian never regained the nightmarish fighting prowess that had made him such a dangerous fighter. In the end, Couture recaptured his 205-pound title and in essence ended Belfort's career as a legitimate threat.

9) Couture vs. Chuck Liddell (Pictures) II, UFC 52
This fight was a devastating loss on Couture's résumé and the first time he was knocked out. Of all the murderous strikers that he locked horns with, nobody had come close to snatching away his consciousness. For the first time in his career, Couture was a heavy favorite, not an underdog. After handling Liddell easily in their first encounter, most assumed he'd replicate that feat.

Unfortunately for Couture, that didn't occur. He was stopped in the first round, giving Liddell the light heavyweight title. The fight is memorable because it showed that after a remarkable string of inhuman accomplishments inside the Octagon, Couture was, after all, a human being.

The loss also allowed Couture the luxury of becoming "too old" and "too worn out" as a fighter. As everybody knows, this defeat let Couture prove us "experts" wrong again and again in the years to come. The bout was supposed to end Couture's reign as the king, but that never came close to reality.

8) Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures), UFC 74
This was the last time the world saw the living legend inside the Octagon. As always Couture was picked by many to lose to the cliché. You know: younger, stronger, more powerful, quicker, blah, blah, blah.

Gonzaga was the sexy pick for media and fans everywhere solely because he had nearly decapitated the vaunted Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic with a crippling head kick. He was also known primarily as a Couture-type fighter in that nobody expected this sort of striking ability, especially against one of the greatest pure strikers in MMA.

Couture willingly accepted the challenge and whipped Gonzaga from start to finish. He badly hurt the larger heavyweight, scored numerous takedowns and bombarded him with the trademark Couture ground-and-pound en route to a third-round stoppage.

At 44, Couture held onto his heavyweight title and walked out as arguably the greatest fighter to ever step foot into the Octagon. What makes this fight so special is that Gonzaga will probably become a heavyweight champion. On this night, however, he was owned by a man almost old enough to qualify for a senior discount.

7) Couture vs. Vitor Belfort (Pictures) I, UFC 15
Couture had only fought twice professionally and was basically a pure wrestler. Sure he could land some strikes on the ground, and he seemed like a competent contender, but Vitor Belfort (Pictures) was regarded as the future. He was a young kid without a ceiling, and he had destroyed every man thrown in front of him. Tank Abbott, Scott Ferrozzo, Jon Hess and Tra Telligman (Pictures) were all obliterated, with the longest fight lasting a mere 77 seconds. Belfort seemed absolutely invincible.

As it turned out, the monumental underdog thwarted everything Belfort threw his way and systematically dismantled the Brazilian in just over eight minutes.

Couture smothered him. He battered him. He slammed him and rained down vicious elbows. It looked like a man versus a boy. Never before had a fighter so deadly as Belfort been handled so easily, and the win marked the first time in his career that Couture had proved the so-called pundits wrong. In reality, this was the dawn of Couture's legacy.

6) Couture vs. Pedro Rizzo (Pictures) II, UFC 34
After their torrid first encounter in which some insiders felt Rizzo deserved the victory, Couture slightly retooled his game plan and punished "The Rock" for just over two full rounds.

Rizzo couldn't land his legendary leg kicks for fear of being slammed onto his back. He also couldn't reel off his lethal punches, either, because Couture's defense and angles were giving the Brazilian knockout artist fits. Rizzo had never been beaten so soundly and so emphatically, and many wondered why their initial meeting was as close as it was.

Couture had figured out Rizzo and worn him down in his greatest masterpiece to date. He scored takedowns almost at will and delivered vicious elbows and punches from within Rizzo's guard, from side-control and from full-mount. Early in the third round, Rizzo was an exhausted and bludgeoned shell of the dangerous title challenger that had entered the cage.

In victory Couture erased any doubt as to who the best heavyweight in the sport was, at least in the UFC. Additionally, considering how poor Zuffa's previous card had been, he capped off an event that desperately needed his performance.

5) Couture vs. Kevin Randleman (Pictures), UFC 28
"The Monster" was supposed to be a fighter just like Couture -- except twice as explosive and twice as powerful. Couture seemed slow in comparison to Randleman, and though "The Natural" had earlier pummeled Belfort, he had also lost to opponents like Valentijn Overeem (Pictures), Enson Inoue and Mikhail Illoukhine (Pictures). Plus, those fights weren't even in the UFC, and many believed that Couture had already seen his best days.

Randleman was the prototypical killing machine, a disciple of Mark "The Hammer" Coleman, who was expected to be even better than his mentor. Of course Couture prevailed and left the taste of shoe soles in many a mouth.

Couture out-muscled and out-wrestled Randleman and when he needed to, he administered a Hammer-esque beating that The Monster, himself a former UFC champion, had little answer for. It seemed as though every time Randleman tried something, Couture had the perfect response. He scored takedowns, blocked strikes and smothered his muscular opponent from start to finish.

Along with his triumph over Belfort, Couture had squashed another young opponent expected to be a future star.

4) Couture vs. Tito Ortiz (Pictures), UFC 44
Ortiz was the defending light heavyweight champion. Even though Couture was fresh off a win over dangerous Chuck Liddell (Pictures), most predicted that the younger Ortiz, arguably the pound-for-pound king at the time, would outlast Couture and retain his title.

Couture had his own "interim" title, a belt that irked Ortiz. Tito promised to "punish" Couture and belittled him in his classic trash-talking pre-fight propaganda.

At first the fight was a chess match between two evenly matched men, and the bout appeared to be just a matter of who wanted the win more and whose stamina would prevail. Ortiz fought as hard as he ever had, but he was reduced to an ashamed and beaten former champion by night's end.

Couture figured out the game plan on how to topple the brash Ortiz and won going away, nabbing a unanimous decision. Near the end of the fifth round, a desperate Ortiz tried in vain to secure a leg lock, but the soon-to-be-champion Couture taunted him by tapping on his butt, making fun of the failed submission.

The win marked the first time in UFC history that a fighter had captured a world title in two separate weight classes. Couture, once thought to be a shot and old fighter, used his dominance of Ortiz to prove just the opposite.

Ortiz scored a few sizable wins down the road, though this was arguably the last time he entered the bout as one of the elite fighters of his generation. In a sense Couture ended that reign as well.

3) Couture vs. Chuck Liddell (Pictures) I, UFC 43
Couture had lost two consecutive fights, both by stoppage. Most experts thought he was done (see the trend here?), and since Liddell was on such a roll at the time with 10 straight wins over solid foes, Couture was a walking corpse in the eyes of many. Liddell was eventually going to land one of his lethal strikes on Couture's chin and send the washed-up fighter into exile.

Yeah, we'd heard that all before.

Couture, not known as much of a striker, boxed beautifully and kept Liddell guessing all fight long. "The Iceman" could do nothing against the shorter Couture and ate strike after strike after strike. Eventually Couture started scoring takedowns, and Liddell was unable to get back up. Opening up a relentless ground-and-pound attack, Couture stopped the seemingly unbeatable Liddell midway through the third round.

Couture won the "interim" light heavyweight title with the triumph, to date the biggest of his career. At the time it was a monumental upset and, shockingly, it wasn't the last time that Couture would enter the cage as a prohibitive underdog.

He set the blueprint for how to dominate Liddell, which a few fighters have followed, even after Liddell became one of the two most dominant 205-pounders in UFC history.

2) Couture vs. Pedro Rizzo (Pictures) 1, UFC 31
Without question, this is one of the five greatest fights of all time, at least in the UFC. For five rounds the two heavyweights unloaded literally every attack in their arsenal. Neither budged. They wanted this fight as badly as any two contenders before them, but it was Couture who squeaked past Rizzo for the heavyweight title.

The fight was all but over in the first when Couture delivered one of the most brutal ground-and-pound attacks during a five-minute stretch. Yet Rizzo somehow survived to return a beating on Couture in the second. Both rounds could have easily been scored 10-8, and after three it was a wonder how either man was still breathing. There were two rounds left, mind you. Rizzo battered Couture's legs so badly that they were black and blue for a month and "The Natural" had a difficult time walking.

The fight brought out the best in both men, and many have debated that possibly Rizzo should have won. The UFC treated MMA fans with a rematch three events later, in which Couture simply overwhelmed Rizzo via stoppage. But on this night, May 4, 2001, fans witnessed one of the greatest, most memorable wars of all time.

It was easily the most exciting fight of Couture's career and the first time he had to dig deep after nearly being stopped in the second. It was magnificence personified on both fighters' ends, but Couture had his hand raised. That fight was also the last time Rizzo was at the top of his game, and many believe Couture is the reason why.

1) Couture vs. Tim Sylvia (Pictures), UFC 68
Sure, Sylvia is not the greatest heavyweight of all time. He is not Fedor. He is not Cro Cop, Nogueira, Barnett or a prime Coleman. He was, however, the defending champion who had scored some huge wins over some big names.

Sylvia is a massive fighter with some of the most powerful strikes in the sport and with Couture returning after a year's retirement most considered him far beyond his prime. On the heels of a pedestrian win over journeyman Mike Van Arsdale (Pictures) and two brutal knockout losses to Liddell, Couture looked old and slow.

The Miletich-trained fighter was also almost impossible to take down. Since Couture would stand no chance of getting inside the lurching Sylvia's reach, he was a massive underdog. Yours truly proclaimed that Couture stood "zero chance" of beating Sylvia.

Well, 10 seconds into the fight, when Sylvia was crumbling to the canvas thanks to a Couture right hand, everybody knew he was doomed. That right hand was a microcosm of what was to come, which was an embarrassing beating over five rounds in which Sylvia was reduced to an amateur. Couture had never looked this vicious, this relentless. He stood toe to toe, took his foe down and even had Sylvia caught in a few submissions.

In the end, Couture proved why he is the perfect underdog. He displayed one of the greatest performances in heavyweight history, never looking like a man pushing his mid-40s as he outclassed the "younger, stronger, more powerful" opponent for the umpteenth time.

With the victory Couture became heavyweight champion again and solidified his status as the fighter who has scored the most remarkable and unthinkable victories this sport has ever seen.

Link:

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/news/2007_10/9462.jpg

dallaskd
10-13-2007, 01:49 AM
Has Randy's ESPN phone call been posted yet? Here is what a poster a Sherdog had to say about it...

WOW, they just had randy on the phone from South Africa on sportscenter

THE UFC LOOKED SO FUCKING BAD, ha

First they had Randy on the phone, he explained basically everything he explained in his statement to the UFC

Saying he is not as compensated as others who have not acheived what he has, he also said the some younger fighters are getting shafted, and that he wants Fedor

THEN.......... they put Dana WHites quote about "Bitch slapping" An agent on the screen. I was embarrassed to even be a fan. My mom was watching with me and looked at me and said "that is the owner?" and i said "not the majority owner" hahaha

but if Randy is trying to make a statement then he has, the whole sports world watching tonight who doesnt know much about MMA now thinks that Dana is a deuche and the UFC is an unfair organization

As fans i dont think we have any right to say either or, because we are not fighters, but from comments from the "president" of a company that we all follow and from comments from the greates fighter of that companys history we can all come to the conclusion that the UFC needs to change there ways, and maybe that starts with getting rid of someone who releases a quote that states how he BITCH SLAPS an agent

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=659550

Avitus1
10-13-2007, 10:26 AM
This took me by surprise that it happened but I think its not to big of a shock.

Evan
10-13-2007, 02:58 PM
The UFC have been extremely one sided in its negotiations. While these guys get way more than they say, the UFC has certainly underpaid them. The fighters sponge so much from the UFC so there is a bit more back and forth pushing to be done before this settles.

And these fighters need to be a bit more careful on pushing too hard on pay. They may just get what they ask for but the UFC may start limiting the sponsors they wear on their shorts and the banners they have in the corner.

But, this was bound to happen at some point. One or two more of these are on their way and Tito Ortiz will probably be the next guy to be so vocal.

dallaskd
10-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Ok...this may have been posted. But Randy on SC saying why he left...

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/video?id=3061100

http://www.cagetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/couture-actor.jpg

dallaskd
10-14-2007, 12:48 PM
:lmao

LEONARD
10-15-2007, 09:17 AM
lol...wtf?

Couture on SportsCenter
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2007/10/13/couture-interviewed-on-sportscenter-video/

mardigan
10-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Man, Dana WHite might be the downfall off the UFC. He lets personal vendettas play a part in his decision making, and loses out on fighters because of it. Calling Fedor overated is just stupid, no matter what he thinks Randy would have done. But it doesnt even matter, he lost out on him, and now is talking shit trying to steal credibility from him. He should just swallow his fucking pride and sign Barnett already.

Evan
10-15-2007, 10:57 AM
lol...that pic of Randy.....

hahaha

dallaskd
10-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm tired of the word retire. Randy feels he has one fight left in his career. He wanted Fedor, the UFC didnt get him so he's taking it into his own hands to get the fight. I'm glad he's making Dana look like a fool during this whole dilemma. There has got to be a bunch of guys that have wanted to do this for a long time. Dana did a great job taking the UFC mainstream. There's no doubt about that, but the ufc needs people in charge that know buisiness and take care of their fighters. I'm tired Liddell being Dana's bitch. Thanks Randy.

dallaskd
10-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Oh and im tired of hearing the bullshit like "well he could fight nog or barnett". with all due respect for those guys, Randy only needs one fight and one fight only. who knows he may have fought nog/kongo if dana would pay him. shit he's 44 dana.

Evan
10-16-2007, 07:03 AM
All kinds of crazy Fedor Vs _____ rumors.

Fedor Vs Ken Shamrock

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=661389

DarkReign
10-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Fedor Vs Ken Shamrock

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Cmon, why the fuck would Fedor want anything to do with an irrelevant has-been who has been in over his head in every fight since UFC signed a TV deal with Spike?

Evan
10-16-2007, 09:44 AM
I don't believe it for a second but it will be nothing but crazy rumors for a bit.

MajorMike
10-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Dana is the greatest.

Evan
11-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Tons of fall out from this....

IMO Randy looks pretty bad right now. I be he never thought in a million years Dana would reveal all of those checks Randy cashed and the PPV numbers.

Bluff called.

dallaskd
11-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Tons of fall out from this....

IMO Randy looks pretty bad right now. I be he never thought in a million years Dana would reveal all of those checks Randy cashed and the PPV numbers.

Bluff called.

can you post an article so i can read all the info?

dallaskd
11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
ahhh i saw the video on ufc.com too.

http://mmamania.com/2007/10/30/dana-white-and-lorenzo-fertitta-press-conference-on-resignation-of-ufcs-randy-couture/

Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta press conference on resignation of UFCs Randy Couture
UFC President Dana White, UFC Majority Owner Lorenzo Fertitta and UFC Chief Financial Officer (CFO) John Mulkey today hosted a press conference to address recent “damaging” remarks from UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture.

The rare broadcast was streamed online via video on UFC.com.

Here are the two key takeaways:

Randy Couture is still the UFC Heavyweight Champion. In fact, he will be offered a bout agreement this week to defend his title against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira sometime in early 2008. The UFC wants him to defend his title — there is no “breaking point” at which the UFC would walkaway.
Couture did receive a signing bonus (something he denies) in the amount of $500,000. He received two $250,000 payments — the UFC handed out photocopies of the checks with his signature as evidence. In addition, “The Natural” will make about $2.9 million from his UFC contract alone for two fights in 2006. Clearly, this excludes endorsements and includes PPV cuts, fight bonuses, annual salary, etc.
Here are the other highlights:

Dana feels that this is a “weird situation” because the UFC doesn’t talk about money — it changes fighters’ lives. The UFC takes care of its fighters and treats them well. Couture’s statements he made about finances are untrue. Want to clear up facts.
Kim Couture (Randy’s wife) was wrong when she said the UFC never promoted him. White rattled off a laundry list of marketing efforts and television programs in which the UFC promoted him.
Lorenzo Feritta negotiated the contract with Couture. So when he hears Randy say that he was “never happy” with contract, it is surprising to him because Couture seemed happy in January.
Couture grossly misrepresented the financial facts in his press conference. The UFC can’t sit back and be silent, which is the reason for the response.
The CFO rattles of several figures that all amount to just under three million for the year (2006) for two fights. That figure includes (among other things) a $500,000 signing bonus that Couture says he didn’t get.
White says that UFC is not a monopoly — competition is the best its been in years.
Lorenzo was a bit dismayed by the tone of Randy’s press conference because the two (he thought) had a good conversation beforehand. He later goes on to say that Couture damaged UFC as a company with his inaccurate remarks. He still considers Couture a friend.
White reminded everyone that Couture is still under contract and the UFC will do whatever is necessary to protect its rights
White said that Fedor is a farce and is not top five. He always felt that way. The only reason he tried so hard to get him was because Randy wanted the fight.
If the UFC can work with Tito Ortiz it can certainly work with Randy Couture. Facts are facts. Don’t want this play it out in court. Couture signed a $500,000 contract to fight in the UFC.
White claims again that Couture’s “puke” Hollywood agent is behind everything because the whole situation makes “no sense.”
Dana White quote of press conference: “I don’t know what I did wrong. This is the most disturbing thing … ever.”
That’s it. To check out the Randy Couture press conference from last week click here. Compare and contrast. Draw your own conclusions.

dallaskd
11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
White said that Fedor is a farce and is not top five. He always felt that way. The only reason he tried so hard to get him was because Randy wanted the fight.

dallaskd
11-01-2007, 07:11 PM
^^^:lmao

dallaskd
11-01-2007, 07:12 PM
White says his stupid shit, but I think Randy is looking pretty bad right now.

dallaskd
11-01-2007, 07:16 PM
http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/randycouture_signbonus.jpg

http://mmamania.com/2007/10/31/randy-couture-ufc-paychecks-pics/

ouch.

dbreiden83080
11-02-2007, 12:59 AM
Supposedly Fedor was offered about 2 mil a fight guranteed, win or lose if he came to the UFC. I think that angered Randy because while he is making more than he said he is not guranteed that much and he is the champ so it pissed him off. He should have been more honest though, why go public with statements that he knew the UFC could disprove easily with the proper paperwork??

Evan
11-02-2007, 08:10 AM
He should have been more honest though, why go public with statements that he knew the UFC could disprove easily with the proper paperwork??

Dana White is so into protecting financial numbers I don't think he ever thought Dana would go public. This is all about a bluff being called. Randy got owned big time.

Sucks... :greedy

dbreiden83080
11-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Dana White is so into protecting financial numbers I don't think he ever thought Dana would go public. This is all about a bluff being called. Randy got owned big time.

Sucks... :greedy

Yeah Randy has always been a good guy i guess he has gone wrong here because he figures "I am 44 years old and maybe only have 2 fights left in me so i better really cash in big time" I think he wants to force their hand and give him a new deal worth a lot more than he is getting and is not serious about quitting fighting. Supposedly Dana is going to give him an offer to fight this week, maybe if Dana just sweetens the pot a little he will fight, although i bet he will no longer be the golden boy of the UFC, he may get booed by many fans.