PDA

View Full Version : odd man out?

barbacoataco
10-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I was wondering who y'all think will be left off the 12 man roster, since Ime Udoka looks like he will make it. I know everyone says "Beno," but the Spurs always carry 3 active PG's. IMO it would be risky to only have two PG's active.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-11-2007, 06:51 PM
They'll put Beno on the IR and start using more Barry or Manu at PG.

Big P
10-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Since the NBA changed the rule, you can put players on & off the IR on a game by game basis...I'm guessing Beno & Williams will be on it a lot.

exstatic
10-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Since the NBA changed the rule, you can put players on & off the IR on a game by game basis...I'm guessing Beno & Williams will be on it a lot.
I think Williams (if he makes the team) and Mahinmi will be on it all year, farmed out to Austin for the better part of the season. I'm guessing that Beno will take the bulk of the 3rd inactive spot as soon as Parker and Vaughn shake off their injuries.

Thompson
10-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I know the Toros were purchased in large part so we could implement the Spurs offensive and defensive systems there; does anyone know how much this aides the transition to our system once Mahinmi and Williams finally do come in? Will they pretty much know all their rotations after a year, or will this make the transition a little easier, but still a slow process? I know the Lakers have their own team, does anyone know the history there?

timvp
10-11-2007, 11:49 PM
I think Williams (if he makes the team) and Mahinmi will be on it all year, farmed out to Austin for the better part of the season. I'm guessing that Beno will take the bulk of the 3rd inactive spot as soon as Parker and Vaughn shake off their injuries.:tu

Unless either Parker or Vaughn are hurt, Beno will be inactive.

It's a myth that the Spurs have always had three active point guards. In 2005, the Spurs entered the playoff without a true third point guard on the active roster. There's really no practical purpose to have three active point guards, especially with players like Ginobili and Barry who can play point in emergencies.

Heck, even Udoka played point guard for the Nigerian national team.

barbacoataco
10-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Has anyone actually read or heard from Spurs sources that Beno will be on the IR? Just because we see Manu or Barry playing occasional PG doesn't mean the Spurs FO has that as a plan. If you put Beno on the IR and totally give up on him, you're taking a big risk if Vaughn or Parker gets hurt.

ss1986v2
10-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Has anyone actually read or heard from Spurs sources that Beno will be on the IR? Just because we see Manu or Barry playing occasional PG doesn't mean the Spurs FO has that as a plan. If you put Beno on the IR and totally give up on him, you're taking a big risk if Vaughn or Parker gets hurt.
no, you can just move him off the IR for the next game. worst case senario (both parker and vaughn go down with an injury in the same game), you have to play that one game without a pg, then move beno onto the active list for the next game.