PDA

View Full Version : "Joey Porter needs a hug" - Kellen Winslow

Fillmoe
10-11-2007, 11:33 PM
BEREA, Ohio -- Joey Porter may have changed jersey colors. His tone remains the same.

Miami's outspoken linebacker, who has waged a personal and sometimes profane battle against Browns tight end Kellen Winslow the past two years, renewed their feud earlier this week with more biting words.

"He's a receiver, really," Porter said. "He's not a tight end, because he's not going to block anybody. If you ask me who's going to win the Joey Porter-Kellen Winslow battle: Me."

On Thursday, Winslow shot back -- kindly.

"I think Joey Porter needs a hug," Winslow said, smiling. "He's so angry, man."

Last year while with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Porter exchanged insults, shoves and hard hits with Winslow. And Porter, who signed a five-year, $32 million free agent deal with the Dolphins in March, feels he got the better of his Cleveland counterpart.

"It really hasn't been a war," Porter said Wednesday. "It's been one-sided. I've never lost to him. It's like me picking on my little brother."

Aware of Porter's remarks, Winslow, who will see Porter on Sunday when the Browns host the Dolphins, counterpunched with some well-placed verbal jabs.

"I'm not into the individual-battle thing," he said. "It's a team thing. We're 2-3 and they're 0-5 and we're looking for a win. He doesn't have to worry about me. He should be worried about the team concept. They're 0-5 right now."

Porter and Winslow first made acquaintances before last year's game in Cleveland when they jawed at each other during pregame warmups, a heated exchange that forced officials to step between them. It was a familiar tactic from Porter, who in 2004 had gotten into a pregame fight with Browns running back William Green, and was ejected before kickoff.

Although the Steelers rallied for 21 fourth-quarter points to win a year ago, Winslow flattened Porter with a vicious stiff-arm after catching a pass.

Three weeks later in Pittsburgh, Winslow attempted to shake Porter's hand before the game, a gesture Porter rejected. In the fourth quarter, Winslow drew the Steelers' ire with a late hit on linebacker James Farrior.

Following that game, Porter called Winslow a derogatory slur and was later fined $10,000 by the NFL.

Winslow expects Porter to fill his helmet with trash talk before this Sunday's game.

"I'm sure he will," he said. "The only reason I did that [offer the handshake] last year was to give our team some confidence and get them going a little bit. But again, I'm not worried about Joey.

"He's not even their best player."

Uh, oh.

A fiery player since college, Winslow, who has been playing with an injured shoulder, has done a better job of containing his emotions on the field this season. Browns coach Romeo Crennel said he isn't worried about the sight of Porter setting off Winslow.

"I don't think Kellen will get unhinged," Crennel said. "Kellen knows he has a job to do and he'll do his job to try and help this team."

Winslow still has moments when he appears on the verge of erupting. However, the 24-year-old, who missed nearly two full seasons with injuries, feels he's got himself better under control.

"You just learn from your mistakes," he said. "It's just maturing and knowing the game, knowing the business, how things work. I'm not really biting down on my tongue. I'm just learning from my mistakes and just growing up."

When Porter hit the free-agent market, there was a brief buzz about him signing with the Browns. It didn't happen, but Winslow briefly pondered the idea of playing alongside his nemesis.

"You know what?" Winslow said. "He would probably be a great teammate. But he's not on our team, so it doesn't really matter."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3058955

popshark86
10-12-2007, 03:14 AM
self promoting like TO

Obstructed_View
10-12-2007, 05:44 AM
It really says something about a guy when he makes Kellen Winslow look like the classy one.

exstatic
10-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Porter is an idiot and Winslow has hardly played during his career. Who manufactured this cat fight?

sa_butta
10-12-2007, 06:52 AM
His bark has been bigger than his bite this season. Gauranteeing victory and the Dolphins have yet to win a game. I like what the guy can do on the field but really Joey just keep your mouth shut.

Findog
10-12-2007, 07:13 AM
It really says something about a guy when he makes Kellen Winslow look like the classy one.

Hey! You take that back! Kellen Winslow is a fuckin' soldier!

ATRAIN
10-12-2007, 07:35 AM
His bark has been bigger than his bite this season. Gauranteeing victory and the Dolphins have yet to win a game. I like what the guy can do on the field but really Joey just keep your mouth shut.

LOL to be honest with you I love it when he talks crap because he sucks and will eat his words.

peewee's lovechild
10-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Winslow is right, Porter is not even the best player in his own team.
That honor goes to either Jason Taylor or Zach Thomas.

L.I.T
10-12-2007, 08:37 AM
It's the battle of the "Overrateds".

samikeyp
10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah but its ok because Winslow is a soldier. :lol

ATRAIN
10-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah but its ok because Winslow is a soldier. :lol

LOL wtf does that even mean?

samikeyp
10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X60mrYO1UU

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-12-2007, 06:21 PM
:lol Porter also called out the Cowboys and we all know how that went.

JMarkJohns
10-12-2007, 07:19 PM
I wish Sr. had done a number on Jr. Maybe then he'd know when to shut the fuck up. This is harmless, but coming from him, it's just more verbal diarrhea.

Fillmoe
10-13-2007, 12:48 AM
I wish Sr. had done a number on Jr. Maybe then he'd know when to shut the fuck up. This is harmless, but coming from him, it's just more verbal diarrhea.

Did you even read any part of the article? :lol

JMarkJohns
10-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Did you even read any part of the article? :lol

Yeah... Porter starts talking shit, Winslow answer back with shit... verbal diarrhea.

Porter is a dumbass, but few athlete's get on my nerves like first-game Heisman-posin', shit-talking, cycle-wreckin' wanna be soldier boy, Winslow.

Like I said, this was basically harmless...

Obstructed_View
10-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah... Porter starts talking shit, Winslow answer back with shit... verbal diarrhea.

Porter is a dumbass, but few athlete's get on my nerves like first-game Heisman-posin', shit-talking, cycle-wreckin' wanna be soldier boy, Winslow.

Like I said, this was basically harmless...
Did you see his dad's hall of fame speech? Kind of makes it look like being unlikable and full of shit is genetic.

JMarkJohns
10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Did you see his dad's hall of fame speech? Kind of makes it look like being unlikable and full of shit is genetic.

No. I didn't. I've read ans seen interviews and he's come across as stand up guy. Funny how perception doesn't always equal reality. Maybe Jr. didn't fall to far from the tree then?

Either way, I can do without Jr., no matter what his father is.

Maybe it's the fact that he proclaimed himself to be a soldier at he time my best friend of ten years was serving a year and a half in Iraq, and just months after I lost a high school friend there.

It pissed me off... and I can be an unforgiving bastard at times. I remember Sr. scolding his son after his Heisman pose in the first game of his shitty senior season, and after his soldier diatribe. Maybe that's why I thought higher of Sr.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Yeah, maybe I just remember it differently. Some guys are hard to root for even when they are on your team. I'd have a lot easier time rooting for Porter than Winslow. That said, Winslow looks like the class act in this particular retard-fight.

TheSanityAnnex
10-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Winslow is better than Gates. Or so I've heard.