PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Barry brings new mentality to season

timvp
10-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Spurs' Barry brings new mentality to season
Life lessons learned in offseason make big impact on Spurs guard.
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Crammed into the short off-season between the Spurs' 2007 NBA title run and the opening of training camp were events that changed Brent Barry's outlook on what could be his final season as a Spur, perhaps his last in the NBA.

There was a lot of time with sons Quinn and Cade; too few days riding waves with his surfing buddies; pickup games at UCLA with the likes of Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce; plus two weddings, two funerals and many meaningful hours of introspection.

"Yeah, some personal things happened along the way this summer," Barry said after the Spurs finished a two-and-a-half hour training camp session at their practice facility. "With a friend of mine passing away and other friends getting married, and then spending time with my kids, it ran the gamut for me emotionally with all the different things I had going on."

If Barry seems to take a slightly different approach this season, it will be a result of a summer filled with life lessons.

"I've always put basketball in perspective, but for some reason or another it seemed to take another form this summer, so I'm coming at it from a little different angle this season."

Serving as pallbearer at the funeral of a lifelong friend left a lasting impression.

"A friend of mine that I grew up with suddenly passed away at 35 years old," said Barry, also 35. "I was a pallbearer at his funeral and it was an opportunity to go home and see some people I hadn't seen for a long while, a lot of guys from De LaSalle High School and guys I grew up with at Catholic High School and Christian Brothers High School, guys I was together with for 14 and 15 years. We had a chance to reflect and catch up a bit. All those things are perspective moments. It was an interesting time."

Barry's 2006-07 season, his third with the Spurs, was markedly better than the first two. More relaxed and more familiar with the Spurs' system, he made 44.6 percent of his 3-point shots (128-287), third best in the NBA. Making 47.5 percent of all his shots and 88 percent of his free throws, he averaged 8.5 points in 75 games, enjoying his most productive season since signing a free-agent contract with the Spurs in 2004. He also started 28 games, during which the Spurs went 21-7.

Since he became a Spur, Barry's coaches sometimes fretted that he was too earnest, letting mistakes and missed shots affect his aggression. Coach Gregg Popovich and his assistants have liked what they have seen of Barry's new approach during training camp and in the preseason opener against the Dallas Mavericks. He made 4 of 6 3-point shots against the Mavs and scored a team-high 14 points.

"He was aggressive looking for his threes the other night, and he's even been a lot better in camp," said Mike Budenholzer, now Popovich's top assistant. "I think he's had a great camp, and he just has to take that kind of mind-set and freedom and just that aggressive play from practice to games. He has to get to where if he turns it over it doesn't matter. I think he is getting very close to that."

Barry comes into the final season of the four-year deal that made him a Spur intent on enjoying the ride and waiting to see what the future holds.

"I haven't really thought about playing beyond this season," Barry said. "I'm just trying to prepare myself for this year. I thought I had a really good year last year. I tried to do everything that was asked of me, and I thought I did that. This year I'm just coming in and playing a little bit more freely, relaxing a little bit and trying to enjoy it, because I don't know what the future holds for me. We'll just see what happens."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA10122007.spurs-barry_1012.EN.347cec6.html

timvp
10-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Barry played pretty well last year. Like everyone involved with the Spurs says, if Barry could just always play loose and with confidence, he'd be a huge weapon. At times last year, Barry lived up to that potential. In the playoffs, Barry again couldn't really unclench on a consistent bases. He had his moments but overall, it was a mediocre playoffs for Barry -- at best.

I don't think age should have that huge of an effect on Barry. He's still pretty athletic and he's rail thin, so he shouldn't really slow down. With Barry heading into free agency, I think the Spurs might as well just hold on to him.

Trading him at the trade deadline won't really improve the team, unless they trade for someone with a multi-year contract ... and we know the Spurs just don't do that.

Bottomline is Barry was a bit of a bust as a signing but it's too late to really do anything about that other than be grateful for what he does provide.

baseline bum
10-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Barry's had his playoff moments. I.e., he was unstoppable in game 1 of the 05 WCF, and I thought he did a great job backing up the point in game 7 against Detroit.

traitoravery
10-12-2007, 01:46 AM
This might start alot of Drama but......I think Barry deserves his # retired more than Avery....

E20
10-12-2007, 01:55 AM
This might start alot of Drama but......I think Barry deserves his # retired more than Avery....
Well so does mine then. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
10-12-2007, 01:56 AM

wat crack are u smokin?

E20
10-12-2007, 01:58 AM
On a serious note, I hope Barry comes kicking it like he did his 1st season with the Spurs and last season. He's one of my fav Spurs (he's a hometown product). His 3PT % amazing last season and I'm sure it will be this season too, but he just has to keep that mind set and consistency in the PO's. If he is able to do that much needed pressure will be off of the big 3.

MI21
10-12-2007, 03:14 AM
Barry's had his playoff moments. I.e., he was unstoppable in game 1 of the 05 WCF, and I thought he did a great job backing up the point in game 7 against Detroit.

Yeah, true. He also had that shot against Sacramento... and I think it was Game 3 of the Finals this year where he got the offense going with 3 3's in the 2nd quarter (i THINK)..

I actually really like him as a player and think he has been ok in his time at the Spurs. Could of been better, but not to bad. A few less million on that contract and he would be looked at as a very good signing.

1Parker1
10-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Timvp...in what ways exactly was Barry a bust as a signing?? He was brought here for his 3 point shooting and to help spread the floor which I think he's done....yes he has his moments and times where he's played scared, etc. but I'd say in the 2 rings he's won here with the Spurs...he's helped the Spurs win a lot of important playoff games with his timely 3 point shooting. Add to that he seems to be a great lockeroom guy and a good passer, I would not consider Barry a bust. Yes his defense is horrendous, but then again, I never thought the Spurs brought him in for that....

1Parker1
10-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Actually, what's going to be interesting is how Pop decides to divide the playing time between Udoka, Finley, and Barry. Also, I wonder if unlike in years past, Pop is going to get conservative on Bowen in the regular season and somewhat limit his minutes to keep him fresh in the playoffs. Not that Bowen has had issues before (**knocks wood), but he is getting up there in age and the playoffs are what matters most, not regular season.

ploto
10-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Barry's time with the Spurs would have been more productive if they had just let him be the back up point guard for three seasons. He looked nice in Dallas because he actually had the ball in his hands.

TDMVPDPOY
10-12-2007, 09:31 AM
barry + nve chuckn ability = win? < rifleman chuck person

Walter Craparita
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
If he could play to his full potential every playoff game that would be nice.

boutons_
10-12-2007, 12:55 PM
yes, a more aggressive shooter and more aggressive in staying in the play rather than running away from it. Give 'em hell, Brent, go out on fire, don't flame out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXg-k_1NGMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibhRH-b2q6s

Gummi
10-12-2007, 01:00 PM
I've always liked Barry. He brings so much to a team. Last season he did well and even though he might not be the most "loved" Spurs player he's a valuable player on the team.

Thank God the trade didn't go through with the Hornets. I can't stand players with off-the-court problems like J.R. Smith.

Que Gee
10-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Barry's time with the Spurs would have been more productive if they had just let him be the back up point guard for three seasons.

Exactly.

smeagol
10-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Barry is not only a three point shooter but also a great passer. I like the the Spurs' O when he is playing.

ChumpDumper
10-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Barry's time with the Spurs would have been more productive had his ass not been in full pucker mode half the time.

I do appreciate his contributions to the team, but our swing rotation isn't getting any younger. It's a little daunting that we have to put all our developmental eggs in one basket with guys like ! last season and Williams this season. Had we the room for a guy like Kelenna Azubuike as well, he could be flying out of the gate for us instead of Golden State. It's the same old youth vs. experience conundrum -- hopefully we still have the right mix.

SenorSpur
10-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Barry's time with the Spurs would have been more productive if they had just let him be the back up point guard for three seasons. He looked nice in Dallas because he actually had the ball in his hands.

Would've made sense in that he was used quite extensively as a backup PG role in Seattle.

T Park
10-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Barry's time with the Spurs would have been more productive had his ass not been in full pucker mode half the time

three quarters of the time, but your exactly right.

SpursDynasty
10-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Barry played pretty well last year. Like everyone involved with the Spurs says, if Barry could just always play loose and with confidence, he'd be a huge weapon. At times last year, Barry lived up to that potential. In the playoffs, Barry again couldn't really unclench on a consistent bases. He had his moments but overall, it was a mediocre playoffs for Barry -- at best.

I don't think age should have that huge of an effect on Barry. He's still pretty athletic and he's rail thin, so he shouldn't really slow down. With Barry heading into free agency, I think the Spurs might as well just hold on to him.

Trading him at the trade deadline won't really improve the team, unless they trade for someone with a multi-year contract ... and we know the Spurs just don't do that.

Bottomline is Barry was a bit of a bust as a signing but it's too late to really do anything about that other than be grateful for what he does provide.

Two championships in the three years he's been here.

ChumpDumper
10-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Two championships in the three years he's been here.Same as Beno.

timvp
10-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Timvp...in what ways exactly was Barry a bust as a signing?? He was brought here for his 3 point shooting and to help spread the floor which I think he's done....yes he has his moments and times where he's played scared, etc. but I'd say in the 2 rings he's won here with the Spurs...he's helped the Spurs win a lot of important playoff games with his timely 3 point shooting. Add to that he seems to be a great lockeroom guy and a good passer, I would not consider Barry a bust. Yes his defense is horrendous, but then again, I never thought the Spurs brought him in for that....He has been somewhat of a bust. Not a total bust but he definitely didn't live up to the expectations the Spurs had for him.

The main problem is his game never adjusted to playing for a championship contender. Instead of playing with an even sense of calm throughout a game or a season, Barry is more prone to becoming jittery or down on himself depending on how he's playing at the moment. That's the aspect the Spurs have tried to change in Barry ... but to this point, that flaw remains.

Almost since the Spurs got him, they've been trying to trade him. That's a pretty good sign that he wasn't all that the Spurs expected him to be when they signed him. Pop can live with Barry's shaky defense and he can live with the occasional wild pass, but that lack of poise is what Pop can't stand.

Barry when he's on is really good. He's had his moments in the playoffs where he lived up to his potential for a game or a couple games in a row. However, when he's off, Barry can be really bad. He can be the type of bad that takes the team down with him.

That said, as it stands, I'd rather the Spurs just hold onto Barry instead of trading him before his contract expires. He's earned his two rings and his playoff experience should help. Like I said, I think he's still athletic enough and fast enough to produce. Age might actually help Barry in terms of calming down when he's on the court. If he ever just played the game without worrying about mistakes, he has the talent to be one of the best bench players in the NBA.

But yeah, the Spurs wouldn't have tried trading him so much throughout the years if he wasn't somewhat of a bust. And he still hasn't put together a season with the Spurs in which he played well in both the regular season and the playoffs.

timvp
10-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Barry's time with the Spurs would have been more productive if they had just let him be the back up point guard for three seasons. He looked nice in Dallas because he actually had the ball in his hands.Barry can barely guard shooting guards. How do you propose he defend point guards?

hater
10-12-2007, 02:23 PM
barry a bust? we got barry and got 2 more championships. and he was mostly the 6th best player for Spurs, sometimes the 5th best player.

barry was not a bust at all

T Park
10-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Barry defending the likes of Derron Williams and Baron davis is enough to put someone in the hospital for multiple days.

T Park
10-12-2007, 02:26 PM
barry a bust? we got barry and got 2 more championships. and he was mostly the 6th best player for Spurs, sometimes the 5th best player.

barry was not a bust at all

What games have you been watching?

hater
10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
What games have you been watching?

so who was the Spurs 6th best player the last few years? Finley? LMAO Finley was stinking it up until the playoffs.

1Parker1
10-12-2007, 03:21 PM
He has been somewhat of a bust. Not a total bust but he definitely didn't live up to the expectations the Spurs had for him.

The main problem is his game never adjusted to playing for a championship contender. Instead of playing with an even sense of calm throughout a game or a season, Barry is more prone to becoming jittery or down on himself depending on how he's playing at the moment. That's the aspect the Spurs have tried to change in Barry ... but to this point, that flaw remains.

Not that I disagree with this entirely, but he's been here 3 seasons and while he was prone to jitteryness, etc in his 1st season...which by the way I'd think is understandable, I think he's gotten quite well getting over it quickly over the years. I remember that game where he didn't play a minute and came in and shot 2 big FT's to help win the game. He's come in and hit big time 3 pointers for the Spurs (specifically against the Suns) when the rest of the team wasn't shooting well. He definitely isn't consistent, but he's a bench player and no one outside of Duncan is really that consistent. If I remember correctly, Parker was this way also his first two seasons with the Spurs where if his shot wasn't going his way, he'd lose confidence in himself.

But yeah, the Spurs wouldn't have tried trading him so much throughout the years if he wasn't somewhat of a bust. And he still hasn't put together a season with the Spurs in which he played well in both the regular season and the playoffs.

Well, maybe I misunderstood but I thought the reasoning for his trade was because they knew they needed to get younger at the wings and they were willing to trade Barry while his trade value was still high. I had thought it was mostly a business related decision to trade him.

baseline bum
10-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Barry's time with the Spurs would have been more productive had his ass not been in full pucker mode half the time.

I do appreciate his contributions to the team, but our swing rotation isn't getting any younger. It's a little daunting that we have to put all our developmental eggs in one basket with guys like ! last season and Williams this season. Had we the room for a guy like Kelenna Azubuike as well, he could be flying out of the gate for us instead of Golden State. It's the same old youth vs. experience conundrum -- hopefully we still have the right mix.

Azubuike has looked amazing in the two games against LA so far.

diego
10-12-2007, 05:27 PM
was anyone really surprised that a laid back dude like barry would just defer to the established pecking order? anyways i think he's been alright and like his skill set. and he has gotten better along the way, even knowing that he had the microscope on him as trade bait he was able to get it together, eventually. i expect him to play just a little better this year as he continues to relax and stay with us for cheap for 1, maybe 2 years more, and i'll be quite satisfied with that.

duncan228
10-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Barry looks great next to the shit Beno's been up to.
At least Barry gets out there and tries.
Barry speaks well of the team and the organization even after he was on the trading block.
I'll take Barry over Beno anyday.