PDA

View Full Version : Orioles just fired Leo Mazzone....

florige
10-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Our pitching stinks and you fire probably one of the better pitching coaches in baseball. Our starters showed significant progress. It was our pen that was a joke. Who now Ray Miller...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-mazzone1013,0,6447898.story?coll=bal_tab01_layout

Thunder Dan
10-12-2007, 03:02 PM
how many people have they fired in the past year? I thought they already fired Leo earlier this season..fill me in

florige
10-12-2007, 03:13 PM
how many people have they fired in the past year? I thought they already fired Leo earlier this season..fill me in

Nah we fired our manager Sam Perlozzo. Leo Mazzone was our pitching coach.

Thunder Dan
10-12-2007, 03:20 PM
the double 'zz' in the names threw me off

florige
10-12-2007, 04:08 PM
the double 'zz' in the names threw me off

Perlozzo was the reason that Mazzone took the job in the first place.

K-State Spur
10-12-2007, 11:49 PM
mazzone had every intention leaving after sammy was fired. he actually thought about leaving when that occurred, but decided to finish out the season for the sake of his pitchers.

this was probably a preemptive strike more than an actual firing. anyhow, despite his accomplishments, if he wasn't in step with Trembley then it's a move that had to be made.

not that it changes that the O's are still a joke of a franchise. once you take into account that they do have the resources to contend, maybe the worst franchise in baseball.

florige
10-13-2007, 11:28 AM
mazzone had every intention leaving after sammy was fired. he actually thought about leaving when that occurred, but decided to finish out the season for the sake of his pitchers.

this was probably a preemptive strike more than an actual firing. anyhow, despite his accomplishments, if he wasn't in step with Trembley then it's a move that had to be made.

not that it changes that the O's are still a joke of a franchise. once you take into account that they do have the resources to contend, maybe the worst franchise in baseball.

Someone else mentioned that if he had quit he wouldn't have gotten the rest of the money he's owed.

K-State Spur
10-13-2007, 11:43 AM
that's true, but despite being the top paid pitching coach, it's still just $500,000 for next year. and if he takes another job, the O's are off the hook for that number.

this gives them an early start and a chance to go out and get a guy by the end of the series (or not too long afterwards).

now, do I have any confidence in the front office to make a good hire? absolutely not!

florige
10-13-2007, 12:49 PM
According to the Sun Trembley is looking at Krantiz who used to be the pitching coach at Florida. Supposedly he is good.

K-State Spur
10-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Well, if Mazzone proved anything, it's that even the best pitching coach is going to have some downs when it's not Maddux - Glavine - Smoltz going to hill 3 days out of 5.

Quality of arms will determine the success of the staff more than the quality of the pitching coach.

Mazzone's greatest triumph in his 2 years will be teaching Bedard to use his change-up. We now have a legitimate ace for the immediate future.

Mazzone's greatest failure in his 2 years will be his inability to get Cabrera under control. DCab may have the best arm in baseball, but he took a step back under Mazzone when it looked like he was making definite linear progress under Ray Miller.

florige
10-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, if Mazzone proved anything, it's that even the best pitching coach is going to have some downs when it's not Maddux - Glavine - Smoltz going to hill 3 days out of 5.

Quality of arms will determine the success of the staff more than the quality of the pitching coach.

Mazzone's greatest triumph in his 2 years will be teaching Bedard to use his change-up. We now have a legitimate ace for the immediate future.

Mazzone's greatest failure in his 2 years will be his inability to get Cabrera under control. DCab may have the best arm in baseball, but he took a step back under Mazzone when it looked like he was making definite linear progress under Ray Miller.

Ive read that too about Daniel going backwards under Leo. According to some of the Braves, Mazzone didn;t really have too good of a track record dealing with young arms. Supposedlly the younger talent on that Braves staff learned more from Glavine and Smoltz.

K-State Spur
10-13-2007, 01:28 PM
That's possible. You also have some guys like Jason Schmidt and Paul Byrd who didn't seem to take off until they left the Braves.

T Park
10-13-2007, 03:57 PM
adam wainwright...