PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You See As the Bigger Threat this season?

Amuseddaysleeper
10-12-2007, 11:26 PM
First off, I hope everyone had a good summer, it's good to be back on the boards in time for the upcoming season.

I was just curious on who you guys felt would be SA's biggest threat this year.

While Dallas may have had a very rough playoff outing last season, I still see them as our biggest obstacle in repeating, and I'd much rather face Houston or Phoenix in the playoffs than Dallas.

Who do you guys see as our biggest threat?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Dallas

lefty
10-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Injuries

SpursDynasty
10-12-2007, 11:38 PM
First off, I hope everyone had a good summer, it's good to be back on the boards in time for the upcoming season.

I was just curious on who you guys felt would be SA's biggest threat this year.

While Dallas may have had a very rough playoff outing last season, I still see them as our biggest obstacle in repeating, and I'd much rather face Houston or Phoenix in the playoffs than Dallas.

Who do you guys see as our biggest threat?

Dallas is a non-factor in the playoff picture unless they trade for Kobe. THEN Dallas would be a threat. But with Dirk/Howard/Terry/Harris, etc. no threat.

SA's biggest obstacle is themselves.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Complacency in the Spurs front office after winning #4.

timmy21_4rings
10-12-2007, 11:55 PM
This is my order
1) Dallas
2) Houston
3) Nuggets
4) Suns

lefty
10-13-2007, 12:03 AM
AI + Melo

:lol :lol

E20
10-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Mavs in the West and maybe Boston in the East. Other than that the Spurs can't play as if they are satisfied or complacent they need to have that motivation/fire to want to win another 'ship and Pop needs to remind them that and motivate the Spurs.

Dirk Nowitzki
10-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Dallas is a non-factor in the playoff picture unless they trade for Kobe. THEN Dallas would be a threat. But with Dirk/Howard/Terry/Harris, etc. no threat.

SA's biggest obstacle is themselves.

BTW I had 6 people try to scalp tix from me on your show tomorrow night. Your show sold out and now it has been moved from the Superpit to Fouts Field. Some teeny bopper Band (2 of them) will open around midnight then your badass performance follows around 1am. You better put on a great show. I am getting excited already. It is going to be so jam packed it isnt even funny. Good luck man! :clap :clap :clap

Getting back on topic, the Mavs stand in the way of the Spurs 5th title. If they get past my boys (which they are more than capable of doing) I expect another riverwalk parade.

san antonio spurs
10-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Being an old team, they will definetely take few games off.
But we can't question their motivation because they really want to repeat badly. Even tony admitted it in an interview few months ago.

The threat we have this year might be PHX. Dallas though as talented lost its confidence and swagger while PHX has a revenge mentality.
On the East side, I always respect the pistons
________
CHILDREN NEXIUM (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/nexium/)

Amuseddaysleeper
10-13-2007, 12:30 AM
BTW I had 6 people try to scalp tix from me on your show tomorrow night. Your show sold out and now it has been moved from the Superpit to Fouts Field. Some teeny bopper Band (2 of them) will open around midnight then your badass performance follows around 1am. You better put on a great show. I am getting excited already. It is going to be so jam packed it isnt even funny. Good luck man! :clap :clap :clap

Getting back on topic, the Mavs stand in the way of the Spurs 5th title. If they get past my boys (which they are more than capable of doing) I expect another riverwalk parade.

:lol
I can't believe you're giving my boys some props in that post.

You're growing up on us Dirk.

Roxsfan
10-13-2007, 12:47 AM
This is my order
1) Dallas
2) Houston
3) Suns
4) Nuggets

Fixed :spin

bdictjames
10-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Dallas

Regular season? Im worried about us still not being able to beat Milwaukee.

Walter Craparita
10-13-2007, 01:35 AM
round 1 2 & 3.

Johnny RIngo
10-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Dallas is easily the biggest threat. They always seem to match up very well against the Spurs. After them comes the Rockets.

I'm still on the fence about the Nuggets and Jazz. While either of these two could pose a threat to a team like the S0ns I doubt they'll be much trouble for the Spurs. Denver and Utah's lineups still need some fine-tuning if they hope to compete against the Texas Trio.

As for Phoenix...lol. They're 15-6 against the Spurs over the past three years. No threat whatsoever.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Dallas

Regular season? Im worried about us still not being able to beat Milwaukee.
:lol

SenorSpur
10-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Dallas - no doubt

duncan228
10-13-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree with the complacency train of thought.
I expect them to go through the first part of the season on auto pilot and turn it on after the ASG, SPAM time.

The regular season is their tune up. Their mind set is what will matter coming into the playoffs. If they're healthy and have a chip on their shoulder about a repeat, (especially Duncan), I don't see a team that will beat them in a 7 game series.

Hemotivo
10-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Houston

Steve-O-Matic
10-13-2007, 10:45 AM
1. Age
2. Injury
3. Dallas
4. Phoenix
5. Houston

urunobili
10-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Houston

Obstructed_View
10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
1. Pop's adjustments
2. Complacency
3. Injury
4. Lack of focus
5. Dallas
6. Golden State

Welcome back, Amused. :toast

phyzik
10-13-2007, 11:22 AM
using small ball as our offense for extended periods of time.

Mr.Bricks
10-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Houston. Dallas' playoff exit could have a Brad Lidge Effect on the Mavs' collective psyche, plus that team was awfully dependant on older players like Stackhouse.

The Rockets meanwhile have a healthy McGrady, healthy Yao who gets better every year, Shane Battier (who'd fit in well with the Spurs!), plus some good young role players.

lefty
10-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm not impressed by Dallas; when they beat us, TD and Manu weren't healthy, and Manu made the most horrible mistake of the playoffs.

If we're healthy and meet them in the playoffs, TD and Co will take care of them, don't worry.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2007, 12:57 PM
using small ball as our offense for extended periods of time.
I'm not even scared of smallball anymore, since the team has had over a year to learn how to make use of it. What I didn't like was the coach deciding to adopt it seven games into the playoffs.

duncan7721
10-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Phoeniex.
BRING IT ON!!!!!! :hungry:

Cry Havoc
10-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Strangely enough, I have to say Houston.

I think we can beat Dallas, especially with their confidence hurting. They still have huge lapses defensively.

Houston doesn't. They're a lock down team on D, and they just got better with Scola in the post, who will undoubtedly be a smarter defender and can help hassle Duncan.

They can also score now with Ming, Scola, T-mac, and Francis.

Chemistry issues could abound, especially with three of those players listed being from different continents, but even so I expect the Rockets to be tough this year.

Whether they can remain tough and healthy throughout the playoffs is the question.

But if the Spurs play their game, I don't really fear the Mavs or Suns, because their game is not predicated on post defense. The Rockets ARE, and in that stead are much like us. And we've seen the damage T-mac can inflict in a hurry.

I guess the bottom line is the Mavs and Suns scare me less because I KNOW how good they are. I'm not liking the uncertainty of the Celtics and Rockets this year. Could be all for naught... but you never know.

Roxsfan
10-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Strangely enough, I have to say Houston.

I think we can beat Dallas, especially with their confidence hurting. They still have huge lapses defensively.

Houston doesn't. They're a lock down team on D, and they just got better with Scola in the post, who will undoubtedly be a smarter defender and can help hassle Duncan.

They can also score now with Ming, Scola, T-mac, and Francis.

Chemistry issues could abound, especially with three of those players listed being from different continents, but even so I expect the Rockets to be tough this year.

Whether they can remain tough and healthy throughout the playoffs is the question.

But if the Spurs play their game, I don't really fear the Mavs or Suns, because their game is not predicated on post defense. The Rockets ARE, and in that stead are much like us. And we've seen the damage T-mac can inflict in a hurry.

I guess the bottom line is the Mavs and Suns scare me less because I KNOW how good they are. I'm not liking the uncertainty of the Celtics and Rockets this year. Could be all for naught... but you never know.

I like your non-homeristic views. You are correct that staying healthy in the season and into the postseason is key.along with ego checks/teamwork-chemistry.

To add to the players that will give SA fits, I will add Bonzi. He is 35 pounds lighter, dedicated and playing under Adelman which is like you taking physics with a great and loved professor versus taking physics with a dickhead asshole professor that rides your case(your attitude and performance goes up with the former).

Plus the depth that Mike James will give at the 1 or 2. Bench depth is improved with James, Head, Snyder, Mutombo(returning for 1 more yr), Hayes and Alston etc.

This should allow Tmac and Yao to limit their minutes during the season and remain fresh for the playoffs.

If Adelman is smart(which I know he is) he will do 2 things that will be crucial:
1. Keep emphasizing defense(with improved O, some D will be lost, but it should be minimal for their success).
2. Don't play for a 2006-2007 Maverick 67 win-type season and work your rotation and allow Aaron brooks some p. time and keep your team fresh for the postseason. This is why Dallas and Phoenix don't do well they are regular season win-column whores. Roxs should win 50-55 games and focus on the playoffs like the spurs have.

Joe Schmoogins
10-14-2007, 12:39 PM
In 2006, Dallas earned my respect. It will be just as tough to beat them this year. However, if we are healthy, we are better.

The rockets intrigue me. They will be very good. Adelman is a premier coach, they have as much depth as any team in the league, and they have two super stars who are very capable of torching the spurs. With health and chemistry (both far from certain), they will be the team to beat.

The Franchise
10-15-2007, 12:03 PM
If they play as a team the Rockets without a doubt.

Dirk Nowitzki
10-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Houston is a team I can say could make noise if they can finally win a fucking playoff series. That team is talented but they also have multiple guys they can put on Duncan such as Scola,Mutombo,Hayes and possibly Battier. Hell if Houston is clicking and Scola turns out to be solid in the post, that will worry the shit out of me. Dirk having to guard a post player? :madrun :madrun Alot depends on chemistry and health for the Rockets tho. If they have are good in both areas..look out.

Indazone
10-15-2007, 12:28 PM
yeah and Houston is overloaded with talent at the Guard slot. No they don't have Nash but they got two very good slasher type guys that can score in Francis and James.

101A
10-15-2007, 01:15 PM
On paper the Rockets look tough - but they have for years.

They are historic playoff under-performers; as is their coach.

They are going to have to prove something before I feel they can be listed as the "premier" threat.

Dallas, Phoenix in that order.

lol @ Houston fan talking about NOT winning 67 games like the Mavericks to save it for the playoffs. GMAFB

DO SOMETHING first!

THE SIXTH MAN
10-15-2007, 08:47 PM
The blue prints for beating Dallas and Phoenix have been established. So I'd like to say Denver. Especially with half a season and a small amount of post season experience under A.I. and Carmelo's belt together. But 2 things hold them back in my opinion from being actual threats.

1.Nene, Denver's x-factor would need to stay healthy and in shape for him to anchor their defense. Even though we knocked them out in 5. They gave us a very physical series. I mean the fire power is there. But defense prevails all the time.

2.Youth and immaturity. If A.I. and Carmelo can actually be leaders on a team in desperate need of it. Then they'd be a force. But when was the last time A.I. and Carmelo showed any type of leadership?

With that being said. It's still has to be the Mavs. They still are the last team to eliminate us from the post season. True the blueprint is there. But a blueprint is only good if you have the tools to execute it. Hopefully with the signing of Udoka and another year of experience in our system for certain players can help give us those tools.

Xylus
10-15-2007, 09:11 PM
1. San Antonio (our fucking white whale)
2. Dallas
3. Utah
4. Boston?

xamila rey
10-15-2007, 11:11 PM
1.dallas
2.phoenix
3.houston

Roxsfan
10-16-2007, 12:22 AM
On paper the Rockets look tough - but they have for years.

They are historic playoff under-performers; as is their coach.

They are going to have to prove something before I feel they can be listed as the "premier" threat.

Dallas, Phoenix in that order.

lol @ Houston fan talking about NOT winning 67 games like the Mavericks to save it for the playoffs. GMAFB

DO SOMETHING first!

Listen freak, all I was saying that trying to win-out in the regular season is not important. So chill out dude :rolleyes

The rockets are coming for your spurs........... :smokin

THE SIXTH MAN
10-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Well bring a lunch bag chica. The rockets and the rest of the L will be after the Defending Champs. :fro

Obstructed_View
10-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Listen freak, all I was saying that trying to win-out in the regular season is not important. So chill out dude :rolleyes

Gotta get out of the first round before they can do that...