PDA

View Full Version : Cards Get Mark Mulder

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Saturday, December 18, 2004
A's get two pitchers, minor league catcher
ESPN.com news services

The Oakland Athletics continued to wheel and deal Saturday, sending starting pitcher Mark Mulder to the St. Louis Cardinals for pitchers Danny Haren, Kiko Calero and catcher Daric Barton, ESPN's Peter Gammons has learned.

The A's have dealt two of their vaunted "Big Three" starting pitchers in the past three days, having sent Tim Husdson to Atlanta on Thursday for a package of outfielder Charles Thomas and pitchers Juan Cruz and Dan Meyer.

Mulder, the A's first-round pick in 1998 (second overall) was 17-8 lastr season but saw his ERA baloon from 3.13 to 4.43. The left-hander won 21 games in 2001 and finished second in AL Cy Young voting that season, but has been sidelined for three or more starts in two of the past three seasons.

Haren, a hard-throwing 24-year-old right-hander was stellar in the postseason, giving up two earned runs in 8 1-3 innings.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-18-2004, 11:09 PM
BTW, let me be one of the first to say...

"Fuck you, St. Louis, you lucky bunch of bastards."

Signed,

The National League

King
12-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Great trade for St. Louis. Give up three good prospects, but also three unknown commodities. Mulder is a stud on the ML level. Could work out well for both teams. Will work out well for St. Louis.

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2004, 01:52 AM
I think the jury's out on Mulder after his late collapse last season. If his nuclear ending was the result of injury, Mulder is starting to get a bit of a china doll rap. If his bad end was the result of simple fatigue, then Mulder is not a guy who can easily eat up innings for a staff. If he's okay, this is a great, great pickup for the Cardinals, who desperately need pitching help. But I'm thinking that Beane probably knows something, since this deal snuck up on everyone, it seems.

T Park
12-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Good trade, I didnt like Haren was involved, cause Danny Haren is gonna be a big time stud, a future ace in this league.

But Mark Mulder is a great pitcher, and the first lefty ACE the Cardinals have had since John Tudor.

Mulder
Carpenter
Suppan
Marquis
Ankiel

Thats a solid, young, and best of all, CHEAP starting rotation.

Sign Cabrera, sign Polanco, and call it an offseason.

King
12-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Good trade, I didnt like Haren was involved, cause Danny Haren is gonna be a big time stud, a future ace in this league.

But Mark Mulder is a great pitcher, and the first lefty ACE the Cardinals have had since John Tudor.

Mulder
Carpenter
Suppan
Marquis
Ankiel

Thats a solid, young, and best of all, CHEAP starting rotation.

Sign Cabrera, sign Polanco, and call it an offseason.

I don't know about Haren being an ace. Most people project him as a servicable #2 or #3. Nice young pitcher, but no ace. And, Ankiel won't be in the rotation over Morris.

T Park
12-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah he will.

Ankiel is throwing the hell out of the ball in winter ball, and the doctor said after Morris's shoulder surgery last month, he wont be back till May.

SO Ankiel IMO will get a shot, and hell be so good he wont relinquish.

Marquis on the other hand, may choke his spot away, his confidence seems shot.

T Park
12-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Haren will BE a number1 ace pitcher, watch.

Hes got mad talent.

FromWayDowntown
12-20-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm still saying that if Beane was willing to give up Mulder, he knows something.

King
12-20-2004, 04:43 PM
If Morris is held out until May, then I can definitely see Ankiel being the one who takes his spot in the rotation. But, if Morris is healthy, then you make Ankiel take the spot from him.

Neither of them are a sure thing. Make them win the spot.

Why do you say that about Marquis? He was actually pretty good in his WS game, but he had zero offensive support.

Morris and Ankiel COULD both be in the rotation, because supposedly Suppan might be bait for a middle infielder, like a Jerry Hairston.

Brodels
12-20-2004, 06:08 PM
FWD: You're right. Something's up with Mulder. He was the second-best pitcher in the A.L. for much of last season and was absolutely awful down the stretch. He was either hiding an injury or had some other serious issues. It will be interesting to see what happens to him in St. Louis. He's shown that he can be great, but he's also shown that he isn't a sure thing. An ERA over 7 over the last half of the year? His season numbers ended up being pretty average.

The Cards still have some holes up the middle. I've heard that they aren't willing to pay Cabrera, so they'll almost certainly be weaker defensively up the middle. Their offense was awesome, but their defense also played a big part in their success.

St. Louis has taken one step forward and two steps back. IMO, they haven't improved in the offseason.

T Park
12-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Eckstein signing debunks the bad D up the middle.

Sign a Cora or trade for Hairston and the offseason is awash maybe a positive.