PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything wrong...

midgetonadonkey
10-14-2007, 04:13 AM
with being pessimistic about your sports teams? Isn't it better to be realistic than to be a blind homer? I'm a fan of the Aggies, Texans (before that the Oilers), Astros and Spurs. Besides the Spurs, none of my other teams have won shit. So I just expect my favorite teams to lose. Is that bad? Should I ignore all my sports knowledge and think my teams are going to win it all every year?

angel_luv
10-14-2007, 05:06 AM
I'm optimistic. It's not that I am unaware of odds, I just choose to believe in spite of them.
You should always expect the best, I think. After all, it could happen. :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-14-2007, 06:01 AM
I think it's good to be a realist. Homerism can be annoying.

But then I base my life more on rationality than belief.

Each to his own at the ned of the day - I mean, following sports is for fun right, so enjoy it however you please. :tu

TDMVPDPOY
10-14-2007, 07:13 AM
try tellin that to the sunsfans

mrsmaalox
10-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I personally think reality is overrated; I subscribe to blind homerism (Spurs are the only team I follow). But as long as you still love your team, win or lose, anything's okay. Bandwaggoners are worse than anything!!.

Xolotl
10-14-2007, 11:09 AM
I like having higher expectations at the beginning of the year after I see Draft picks, FA signings, etc. But, then from there its only downhill it's better to be a realist.

But, I also knew a guy who every year put 1k on the Rams to win the SB through the 90s and when had them the year they did win at 250:1 so I guess a little homerism is awesome lol

Kriz-Maxima
10-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Im pretty realist about my teams posibility but its good to keep some hope. For example, I dont think that the Pistons are gonna win a championship this year but Im hopeful they do good and surprise me.

As a sports fan Im constantly getting my heart broken, even with beign a realist.

exstatic
10-14-2007, 12:28 PM
I guess if your team sucks, you can be "realistic". What slays me is all of the negative Spurs "fans".

DoubtingThomas
10-14-2007, 12:28 PM
I tend to be pretty pessimistic about everything.

TDMVPDPOY
10-14-2007, 01:05 PM
im only pessimistic when the spurs are down half time, i turn of the comp...turn it back on after an hour to see the boxscore the spurs won the game :D:D:D:D

LaMarcus Bryant
10-14-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm the most pessimistic fan I've ever met.

It pays to be pessimistic because you either never get let down, or you get pleasantly surprised about the outcomes.

Also it avoids jinxage.

Melmart1
10-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't see the point of being negative all the time. Frustration at times, sure. But if you don't have hope and believe that your team can win a few games, then why bother watching. If it makes you that miserable, turn the TV off.

CuckingFunt
10-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I've known people who are full on pessimistic about their team, and I just don't get that. But I consider myself pretty realistic.

I'm a fucking Kings fans, after all. My team sucks ass right now.

peewee's lovechild
10-14-2007, 02:49 PM
It's sad when you don't have any faith in any of your teams.

It's amazing that Midge is only positive about the Spurs.
Is this because they're acutally winning?
Is he going to start talking shit when they have losing seasons?

What kind of fan is that??

I always back my teams.
Always.

I'm still rooting for the Irish eventhough they suck all sorts of ass.
I rooted for the Yanks, and caught a lot of shit for it, even when it was obvious that they weren't going past the first round.

Being pessimistic about your own team all the time is just stupid.

peewee's lovechild
10-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't see the point of being negative all the time. Frustration at times, sure. But if you don't have hope and believe that your team can win a few games, then why bother watching. If it makes you that miserable, turn the TV off.

I agree 100%.

midgetonadonkey
10-14-2007, 02:56 PM
It's sad when you don't have any faith in any of your teams.

It's amazing that Midge is only positive about the Spurs.
Is this because they're acutally winning?
Is he going to start talking shit when they have losing seasons?

What kind of fan is that??

I always back my teams.
Always.

I'm still rooting for the Irish eventhough they suck all sorts of ass.
I rooted for the Yanks, and caught a lot of shit for it, even when it was obvious that they weren't going past the first round.

Being pessimistic about your own team all the time is just stupid.

You said the Yanks were going to win it all. You never said they wouldn't get past the first round. You are a champion chaser in the worst way. You root for the Irish (when they were losing you were a Longhorn fan), Cowboys (when they were losing you were a Bucs fan), Yankee fan (you don't even watch baseball, you think it's boring) and a Spurs fan (Lakers fan because you think it's a great storied franchise).

So don't even talk shit. You are the worst kind of sports fan.

peewee's lovechild
10-14-2007, 03:01 PM
You said the Yanks were going to win it all. You never said they wouldn't get past the first round. You are a champion chaser in the worst way. You root for the Irish (when they were losing you were a Longhorn fan), Cowboys (when they were losing you were a Bucs fan), Yankee fan (you don't even watch baseball, you think it's boring) and a Spurs fan (Lakers fan because you think it's a great storied franchise).

So don't even talk shit. You are the worst kind of sports fan.

Fuck you and all that bullshit.

Yea, I did say the Yanks were going to win it all because I have faith in my team. Unlike you with your "I know my team sucks and that they're going nowhere" bullshit attitude.

I'm proud of my teams, whether their doing good or not.

ORION
10-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Start following women's bikini oil-wrestling. Once you find your favorite girl it doesn't matter if she wins or loses because everyone wins

samikeyp
10-15-2007, 09:57 AM
What slays me is all of the negative Spurs "fans".

True...especially since most of them weren't fans before 99 or post-Ice/pre-DRob when the team was really bad!

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Start following women's bikini oil-wrestling. Once you find your favorite girl it doesn't matter if she wins or loses because everyone wins

Once again, ORION proves to be the voice of reason.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-15-2007, 05:09 PM
I guess if your team sucks, you can be "realistic". What slays me is all of the negative Spurs "fans".

Yeah, I don't get this either, especially given how amazingly good our team has been for over 15 years. The meltdowns after every loss get a bit tiresome.

Even if we never win another championship, and I think we will (touch wood), I'm so grateful to have seen this run!

j-6
10-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm OK with folks bandwagoning around a little bit, finding their bearings, when it comes to their third or fourth favorite sports. I was a lukewarm Avs fan before moving to Dallas, and now I follow the Stars much more closely than I ever cared about Colorado.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Contrary to popular belief, there are no rules set in stone for being a fan.

Do what you like.

Kyle Smith
10-15-2007, 06:51 PM
i wouldnt get my hopes up every season if i knew better. Im a sonics fan lol