PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rather Vowed To Leak Bush Guard Docs

Wild Cobra
10-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Interesting things are always popping up:

DAN RATHER VOWED TO LEAK BUSH GUARD DOCS TO NEW YORK TIMES -- IF CBS SPIKED (http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2007/10/08/20071008_191915_flashhk1.htm):

The night before the story was tentatively scheduled to air, Rather was sitting at the anchor desk, with less than half an hour before the start of the Evening News. He called Josh Howard, who had recently been named as executive producer of 60 Minutes Wednesday, and asked what they were doing to promote his story.

“We’re not,” Howard said. “We haven’t gotten the lawyers to sign off. The script isn’t finished. We haven’t even talked to the White House. I’m not going to start promoting a story when we don’t know what we have.” That was not the answer Rather wanted to hear.

“Other people are chasing this story,” he said. “We’re going to lose our exclusive. We have to get our hooks into the story.”

When Howard again refused, Rather raised the stakes.

“I’m going to give one of the documents to The New York Times to run in Wednesday’s paper,” he said. “They’ll have to credit CBS News. That way we can put our stamp on it.”

“You can’t do that either,” Howard said. “We haven’t finished vetting this.” Rather grumbled and hung up. To raise the specter of giving away a scoop to a competing news outlet was practically unheard of.

Howard, who had once been an Evening News producer, had never been subjected to this kind of pressure. He did, however, have a backup plan. They were still in rerun season, so if the Guard story failed to get the green light, he had a previously aired program ready to go.

Developing...

Nbadan
10-15-2007, 04:09 AM
hmmm...none-the-less CBS must have run the story without it being properly vetted - so obviously, either some-one at CBS is lying ( I dont know if Kurtz credits his sources, but he certainly has past credibility problems) or Dan Rather is lying...

Wild Cobra
10-15-2007, 05:17 PM
hmmm...none-the-less CBS must have run the story without it being properly vetted - so obviously, either some-one at CBS is lying ( I dont know if Kurtz credits his sources, but he certainly has past credibility problems) or Dan Rather is lying...
The point I was making with this article is that Dan Rather had much more control over the story than he claims, and now he's suing for his mistake.

Sure, the article and book could be inaccurate, but a direct account as such would be open for a slander suit. I find it very likely the author was very careful about getting this right.

Nbadan
10-15-2007, 06:51 PM
CBS News caught plagiarizing...and from World Nut Daily!

An October 10 article on the conservative news website WorldNetDaily about reactions to right-wing pundit Ann Coulter's comment that Christians "just want Jews to be perfected, as they say" asserted that the controversy over her comment began when Media Matters for America, "a pro-Democrat media lobby headed by David Brock, noted Coulter's appearance on CNBC's 'The Big Idea' with host Donny Deutsch." An October 12 CBSNews.com article contained large sections that were nearly identical to the WorldNetDaily report, including the description of Media Matters: "Not unlike other recent media controversies, this one began when Media Matters, a pro-Democrat media lobby headed by David Brock, noted Coulter's appearance on CNBC's 'The Big Idea.' " In fact, as noted on its website, Media Matters "is a Web-based, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media"; it is not affiliated with any party or candidate.

Large portions of the CBSNews.com article included almost identical language to WorldNetDaily's article. For instance, WorldNetDaily reported, "The National Jewish Democratic Council called on 'mainstream media outlets' to stop inviting Coulter as a guest commentator and pundit and strongly condemned her comments that in a perfect world all would be Christians." The CBSNews.com article: "The council called on 'mainstream media outlets' to stop inviting Coulter as a guest commentator and pundit and strongly condemned her comments that in a perfect world all would be Christians."

Media Matters (http://mediamatters.org/items/200710150007)

LaMarcus Bryant
10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
and now he's suing for his mistake.
Makes sense.