PDA

View Full Version : Parker deals with big-money expectations

Kori Ellis
12-19-2004, 02:56 AM
Parker deals with big-money expectations
By Mark Murphy
Sunday, December 19, 2004

http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=47248

NBA life can get complicated for a genuinely nice guy like Tony Parker.

If, on one hand, you have the brazenly self-serving Pedro Martinez, the Spurs' French-born point guard comes from the opposite end of the room.

Parker partnered with agent Marc Fleisher last summer to buy his old team, thus bailing Paris' entry in the French League out of financial trouble.

"I just wanted to try and get some experience," he shrugged.

Back in Texas, Parker, via Fleisher, was attempting to hammer out a new contract. The agent was pushing hard for an overall number of $70 million over six years when his client, in an aside to Spurs management, confided that he would actually be happy with $66 million.

Parker obviously didn't want to go anywhere, and the deal was completed three hours before the league deadline.

But then he got off to a slow start. It wasn't that Parker, new deal in hand, had any intention of coasting. Quite to the contrary, coach Gregg Popovich suggested that Parker was trying too hard to prove that he was worth his new deal.

That dilemma has since leveled off. After hitting an alarming low with a scoreless two-shot, 32-minute appearance in Philadelphia on Nov. 18 -- though he also had eight rebounds and six assists in that game -- Parker scored in double figures in 14 of the next 15 games.

Though his shooting has still bordered on the tentative at times, Parker claims it's the natural result of getting a feel for the altered nature of the Spurs this season.

There's the addition of Brent Barry, and Parker's surprising rookie backup, Beno Udrih. There's also the continued blossoming of Manu Ginobli, whose progress has quite possibly surpassed Parker's.

"I'm just trying to digest everything," said Parker, who has been hampered over the last week by a pulled groin, with Udrih stepping up to guide the Spurs on a comeback win over Orlando last week. "My main thing is that we're winning, and I have to try and figure out what I do. Things like when to shoot, and when to pass.

"But I'm not saying that I have to prove something," he said. "We're a very unselfish team. Manu is doing more, and Brent can make stuff happen with the ball in his hands. We'll see. It's early in the season."

(Mark Murphy covers basketball for the Boston Herald.)

boutons
12-19-2004, 06:57 AM
"If, on one hand, you have .... from the opposite end of the room."

Sports "journalist" at "work" :)

pjjrfan
12-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Well last night Tony showed how effective he can be when he is on his game. He also showed a willingness to do whatever is needed to help the team win. I think most impressive thing about last nights win was how Barry took control of the team with Manu's and Tony's blessing and all of them prospered. That 2nd qtr was as exciting a period of basketball that I have seen all year. And what stood out was the willingness of everyone on the floor to do what was needed to get this team on track and get the lead and command of the game. You gotta love that as a fan.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-19-2004, 12:05 PM
at least he is playing good basketball now because at the beginning of the season... yeah, not so good... but I do think Manu is playing better than Parker at this point, and should from now on be considered our second option

1Parker1
12-19-2004, 12:53 PM
"but I do think Manu is playing better than Parker at this point, and should from now on be considered our second option"

What exactly are u basing this on?
Manu was hot in the begining of the season, and since then, has cooled off reasonably. Tony had a slow start in the begining of the season, but since then has reasonably gotten hot.

I'd say both are playing equally well at this point, still not to their full potential. Manu has games where he comes in and doesn't score that much, but still he does other things on the court like steals and FT's etc. Tony, this year, when he's having an off scoring night, still plays exceptional defense and rebounds (i.e the sixers game). I don't think its accurate to say that Manu is playing better and should be the second option at this point.

ALVAREZ6
12-19-2004, 12:59 PM
i think manu and tony share the 2nd option position.
Whichever one is hotter in the current game.
They're both playing well, and thats all that matters.

SequSpur
12-19-2004, 01:59 PM
coach Gregg Popovich suggested that Parker was trying too hard to prove that he was worth his new deal

This is typical Popovich.

Who gives a crap what kind of contract they get? I don't. It's all about the team winning. Not who gets 20.

The Spurs have a damn void at Center. If they had a Center, they, he, she, we would be much more effective.

Parker plays inside more than Rasho does and that's a damn problem in my book.

Sheyitt.

Solid D
12-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Tony personally took the challenge against Speedy and drove the ball down the Warriors' throats. He cranked up the tempo and blew by them numerous times. Parker and Jason Richardson were the stars of the 1st half. Without Parker, the Spurs likely lose last night.

1Parker1
12-19-2004, 06:42 PM
"If they had a Center, they, he, she, we would be much more effective"

I didn't realize they let girls play in the NBA :)