PDA

View Full Version : Sato patient, not idle, in rookie season with Spurs

Kori Ellis
12-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Sato patient, not idle, in rookie season with Spurs

By Dave Goldstein
Enquirer contributor

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041218/SPT0102/412180413/1063/SPT

Romain Sato has yet to represent the San Antonio Spurs on the court in his rookie season, but he has proven to be a perfect franchise fit.

Under coach Gregg Popovich, the Spurs have become known for their quiet effectiveness, achieving great success on the floor with players known for their strong character off it. Although he hasn't yet flashed the skills that made him a four-year star at Xavier, Sato has fit right in.

So far the Spurs have kept him on the injured list, a common practice that allows rookies to improve in practice while teams keep more veterans on the active roster. Sato has made the most of an oft-wasted opportunity, displaying an attitude that delights his coach.

"(Sato's) a hard-working young man and he's like a sponge, in that he just wants to learn everything he can," Popovich said. "If you have guys who tend to drift, don't focus or can't concentrate, sometimes being in a winning environment does help them a bit, but Romain doesn't have any of those problems."

Sato's activities in practice include scrimmaging and individual, two-on-two and three-on-three drills. It doesn't seem like much for a former All-Atlantic 10 performer who started every game of his Xavier career. But for a second-round pick on a veteran-laden team, it's not a bad situation. Sato notes the significant upgrade in the strength and speed of NBA players, as well as the faster pace of the play-calling, execution and the game itself. Learning from the bench prepares him to contribute in the future without compromising the Spurs' present. Led by Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan, San Antonio is a team with championship aspirations.

"(Sato) gets to see how the best players on the team conduct themselves in practice," Popovich said. "He realizes how hard these guys work and what they put in to get where they are."

Sato joins several other Xavier alumni in the NBA. He and fellow rookie Lionel Chalmers talk often, discussing the game and life in the league. Sato also has been greeted with smiles from other Musketeers in different cities.

"I saw Brian Grant when we went to L.A. and he was really cool with me," Sato said. "We talked a lot and he told me how proud he was to see me make it this far. ... There's David West and a lot of other guys here. It's just good to see the Xavier tradition in the league."

Sato showed explosive athleticism, 3-point shooting range and a nose for the ball at Xavier, but displaying those skills in the NBA has not been as easy. But Sato is growing and learning more with every practice.

"This is God's plan, and God put me here for a reason," Sato said. "It's special, being part of the best organization in the league. I'm glad I get to be a member of the Spurs."

timvp
12-19-2004, 03:10 AM
Sato's probably two or three years away. He's a good guy with good athleticism. He started basketball late, so he probably won't peak for a long while.

Will he make it one day? Probably not. Second rounders rarely make it.

But the Spurs know how to draft. You never know.

:smokin

whottt
12-19-2004, 03:20 AM
Didn't they sign him to a 3 year deal during camp?

timvp
12-19-2004, 03:21 AM
Yeah it's a three-year deal with the second and third years being at a team option.

whottt
12-19-2004, 03:28 AM
And his deal is like 300 K a year or something?

I'd like to see him play, but he's not cracking this years rotation without someone getting inured.

He seems to fit the mold of the typical Spurs project.

Looking at his stats from summer camp and listening to the games he seemed to be a good defender and rebounder for a 2 guard...and his college bio said he's got textbook perfect form on his 3 point shot and NBA range.

Sounds like a guy that has the potential to create physical mismatches and has the skills to stick around for a while with Pop, maybe not a starter but as some kind of utility guy.

With the Spurs being capped out for the forseeable future I don't see them dumping that contract if he has any type of potential.

exstatic
12-19-2004, 03:33 AM
Yeah it's a three-year deal with the second and third years being at a team option.

At least they're learning. If they had done this with Devin, they definitely wouldn't lose him to a better than MCE offer this summer.

Sato may or may not develop, but he kind of reminds me of another former Spur: the good Charles Smith. Average sized guard with monstrously long arms and good athleticism.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Hey Timvp, i really think that with Bowen getting up there in years, Sato could eventually fill his role for us on the floor, the shutdown swingman with good three point range, i would like to know what the article meant though when it said he wasnt being able to display his athleticism or range in the NBA.

travis2
12-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Hey Timvp, i really think that with Bowen getting up there in years, Sato could eventually fill his role for us on the floor, the shutdown swingman with good three point range, i would like to know what the article meant though when it said he wasnt being able to display his athleticism or range in the NBA.

It means he hasn't played a game yet. He's been on the IR...

So far the Spurs have kept him on the injured list, a common practice that allows rookies to improve in practice while teams keep more veterans on the active roster.

smeagol
12-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Will he make it one day? Probably not. Second rounders rarely make it.

But the Spurs know how to draft. You never know.:smokin

You are so right Timvp.

Anybody who disagrees, please direct your attention to Manu Ginobili. Picked up in the second round, deep in the second round may I add, and he is a border line all-star.

T Park
12-20-2004, 12:27 PM
I honestly didnt see much in the guy in Summer league, nor pre season.

BUT, I didnt see much in Stephen Jackson the first year he was here and taunting Karl Malone.

After guys like Stephen Jackson and others, I have never doubted Spurs's choices in development players.