PDA

View Full Version : Arenas likes Spurs when he opts out

Oink Oink
10-15-2007, 02:32 PM
http://www.complex.com/CELEBRITIES/Web-Exclusive/Gilbert-Arenas/Page-3

Gilbert Arenas - Page 3

C: The most improved player award in ’03, did you take that as a badge of honor or a knock against your skills?
Gilbert Arenas: You know what’s so funny, if you would’ve heard my press conference, I was like, “truthfully I don’t deserve this, Trent Murphy deserves this.” He got better. I was always good, (laughs). But I’m going to take the trophy anyway.

C: Would you consider yourself a shoot-first, pass-second point guard?
Gilbert Arenas: When I look at that, and this is for our “experts” out there, when they call me a shoot-first point guard, and I’m like, am I the only shoot first point guard in this league that ever had two players that scored 20 points a game? Yes. So If I’m a shoot-first point guard, how do I have two other players that average 20 points? And no one ever realized that. I said name another scorer that averages the same amount as me that also has two players that average 20 points. You will never find one.

C: Do you think point guards need to be that way in today’s game?
Gilbert Arenas: Today, yeah because you need an all around. You need your guards that can score because it helps out everybody else.

C: So you mentioned that you’d opt out after this season what cities would be your top choices to play in?
Gilbert Arenas: L.A., San Antonio, Dallas, Houston

C: Could you’d play with Kobe?
Gilbert Arenas: Yeah. Cause mentally I’m strong enough to play with him. I don’t think everybody’s ready for his mental challenge.

C: So you don’t think he’s a cancer?
Gilbert Arenas: You see with Kobe I don’t pay attention; I already know his game because he’s a mental person. So I can deal with that because I know, I’m a mental person too. So I know if he says, “Gil lets work out for 3 hours,” I know the only thing he’s trying to do is, go 3 hours so I can quit. He’s not there to make me look better or make me better. He’s there to put me to quits so I know, it’s up to me to last 3 hours.

He sure seems to like Texas.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2007, 02:33 PM
404 - Document Not Found

E20
10-15-2007, 02:34 PM
For the vet minimum.............COME ON DOWN!!!!!!

ChumpDumper
Trent Murphy?

SRJ
I like GA a lot. But I don't think he'd fit in here real well, and frankly I'd be afraid to try.

E20
10-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Trent Murphy?
Come on Chump.......................you don't know who Trent Murphy is? Dude................get up to date.......

Kori Ellis
10-15-2007, 02:36 PM
404 - Document Not Found

ca®lo
10-15-2007, 02:37 PM

here yah go.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks.

That makes the "Trent Murphy" thing even funnier.

Scola Trade
10-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Sign & Trade for Beno :smokin

Obstructed_View
10-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Um, not just no but...

IceColdBrewski
10-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Shoulda drafted him the first time he was available. I remember screaming at my television when the Spurs passed him up. Could you imagine a core of Duncan, Manu, and Arenas? That's nasty good.

remingtonbo2001
10-15-2007, 03:04 PM
I like Gilbert. He's talented, but I don't see him fitting in, not in any way. He can score, but I see this merely as Gilbert trying to get top dollar.

Joe Schmoogins
10-15-2007, 03:15 PM
"I would like to thank God for giving me the man power and the heart and mind to stay up and keep playing Halo to the best of my ability." -Agent Arenas

Sounds like a Spur to me. Sign him up!

thispego
10-15-2007, 03:21 PM
ya'll dont seem him fitting in? do ya'll know gilbert arenas personally? I just see him on tv and he looks nice enough

PM5K
10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah fuck that cheater...

baseline bum
10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Shoulda drafted him the first time he was available. I remember screaming at my television when the Spurs passed him up. Could you imagine a core of Duncan, Manu, and Arenas? That's nasty good.

That would have been awesome, but not as good as Duncan, Manu, Parker.

timvp
10-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Shoulda drafted him the first time he was available. I remember screaming at my television when the Spurs passed him up. Could you imagine a core of Duncan, Manu, and Arenas? That's nasty good.:lol

Good to see IceColdBrewski revving up for the season.

The Truth #6
10-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't think Arenas would be bored by the slow pace here. Of course every other reason for him to come here makes no sense...

hater
10-15-2007, 04:19 PM
fuck that. arenas is fun to watch but will never, ever, ever, ever win a championship. he is a ballhog

MrChug
10-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I like GA a lot. But I don't think he'd fit in here real well, and frankly I'd be afraid to try.

You're damn right. EVEN for the minimum.

T-Pain
10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
yeah if only the Spurs front office didnt have their heads so far up their ass on foreign players...but o well, Parker is good.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Does he have the discipline to play within the Spurs' system? Would he make the sacrifices necessary to win like the Big Three do? I'm not sure...

I like the guy, he's quirky, speaks his mind, and he's one helluva 'baller, but I think this is pie in the sky stuff. He'll go to a big market for the max.

Mark in Austin
10-15-2007, 04:40 PM
That would have been awesome, but not as good as Duncan, Manu, Parker.

:tu

Big P
10-15-2007, 04:45 PM
If he was a vet looking for a MLE deal, then I would be all for it, but I know that he is looking for a MAX deal & since we have the guard spots covered, GA would not be money well spent.

Barbarian
10-15-2007, 04:52 PM
You guys are idiots if you wouldnt want Arenas with the Spurs.

nfg3
10-15-2007, 04:54 PM

Ditto! It is about how he would fit into the system though he sure can fill it up!

Would he defer his game to fit in????????

Play D and pass??????????

hater
10-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Play D and pass??????????

:lmao this is Arenas you are talking bout right?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-15-2007, 05:22 PM
He'll definitely need to know that he'll need to share the ball with EVERYONE. If he understands that sometimes he won't be the one with the ball in the end of a close game, he should definitely come on down. For the MLE :).

SenorSpur
10-15-2007, 05:35 PM
You guys are idiots if you wouldnt want Arenas with the Spurs.

Anyone that thinks Arenas would fit seamlessly into the Spurs disciplined, "share-the-ball","take-the-best-shot-available"-type offensive philosophy is an idiot.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I'd take Arenas in a second. Any one who wouldn't is a fucking idiot.

SenorSpur
10-15-2007, 05:42 PM
He'll definitely need to know that he'll need to share the ball with EVERYONE. If he understands that sometimes he won't be the one with the ball in the end of a close game, he should definitely come on down. For the MLE :).

Not going to happen. He's already making double-digits millions and I'm sure he's out to be paid somewhere in the neighborhood of say a Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant. Whether or not he deserves a max contract is debatable.

Barbarian
10-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Anyone that thinks he's fit into the Spurs disciplined, "share-the-ball","take-the-best-shot-available"-type offensive philosophy is an idiot.

Im noy saying hes a typical Spurs player. But you cant turn down one the better players in the league. Do you think Tony was always a Pop type player? He made Parker the player he is by using a thing called "coaching". Who are we to say the same cant be done for someone else? Maybe you are right, but you just cant turn someone like him down. Shit you gotta give it a shot. Too much upside to turn down.

A.H 21-50
10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Anyone that thinks he's fit into the Spurs disciplined, "share-the-ball","take-the-best-shot-available"-type offensive philosophy is an idiot.

Imo nobody can say now that he can't play in the spurs system.... a lot of players came here and play good after a period
It depends on his adaptation but a guy with qualities like that could do something with the spurs
his ppg will drop a little bit but it's true that now he's the leader of a team , he controls the tempo of this team and in SA it will be very very different

( he will not sign in SA IMO for two reasons : Money and the Spurs have a PG with Parker )

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
( he will not sign in SA IMO for two reasons : Money and the Spurs have a PG with Parker )
He's barely even a PG. Just start him at SG and it's not like his style will change.

A.H 21-50
10-15-2007, 06:20 PM
He's barely even a PG. Just start him at SG and it's not like his style will change.

i have the same idea

Kori Ellis
10-15-2007, 06:27 PM
I'd take Arenas in a second.

Me too. But the Spurs aren't going to have max money available and Arenas will get the max.

SenorSpur
10-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Now for all those who want this guy on the Spurs, and he is a great shooter, you're forgetting the economics involved in acquiring a player like this. Consider the scenarios that must occur:

In order to add Arenas' high salary, you'll need to cut salary somewhere else if you want to avoid luxury tax penalties. Do you really think this organization is going to jettison one its higher-salaried players and its long term financial future in favor of Arenas?

Or maybe you think the FO is going to suddenly adopt a free-spending mentality and start paying millions annually in luxury taxes?

Or maybe you think Arenas will suddenly decide that he cares more about playing for a championship contender and elects to take much less than market value just to play with the Spurs? Before you answer, remember that Arenas is opting out of his current contract next summer because he knows the market will pay him more than the $10 mil he's getting now. A smart move on his part, too.

Without question, one of those outrageous scenarios that I just decsribed will have to occur in order for the Spurs to add Arenas. Still think Arenas is worth it? Do you think he should be paid as much as say, Tim Duncan?

Remember, the Spurs are slightly above the cap now. If Rashard Lewis got a max deal this past summar, how much do you think Arenas will be worth?

Wake up people. Face facts. This is a nice pipe dream that will NEVER happen. Just like the Spurs ill-advised flirtation with Jason Kidd.

T Park
10-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Parker winning the Finals MVP had to be an absolute dagger to the heart of icecoldbrewski.

exstatic
10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Agent Zero, with 15 on the shot clock and Tim with his man sealed off in the paint:
Hibachi!!!

Pop: The bench now!!!!

vander
10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
OMG getting Arenas would be amazing, we would be un-freaking-stoppable!

I was also screaming for us to draft him in whatever year that was, TP worked out all right, but now we have a chance to get him again.

when was the last time a top tier player had SA as one of his desired destinations? plus he fits into what's left of the 08 master plan.

Pop got Finely to play D, he can get anyone to play D. there should be plenty of shots to go around, Duncan shoots it less and less every year, until crunch time comes around. Bowen doesn't need any shots, nether do either of our Centers. Manu only plays 25 minutes, Arenas can also play the backup PG position, there'll never be a need for Manu TP and Arenas to be on the court at the same time.

we'd have one of the greatest 3-man guard rotations ever, opposing D's will never get a chance to relax.

god I hope we go after him.

exstatic
10-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Gilbert's not coming. We have no money to offer. If anyone thinks he's coming for less than a full MAX deal, you need to clean the spooge off your Agent Zero poster.

T Park
10-15-2007, 07:01 PM
when was the last time a top tier player had SA as one of his desired destinations?

when was the last top tier FA that was angling for more money and using SA for it?

vander
10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Now for all those who want this guy on the Spurs, and he is a great shooter, you're forgetting the economics involved in acquiring a player like this. Consider the scenarios that must occur:

In order to add Arenas' high salary, you'll need to cut salary somewhere else if you want to avoid luxury tax penalties. Do you really think this organization is going to jettison one its higher-salaried players and its long term financial future in favor of Arenas?

Or maybe you think the FO is going to suddenly adopt a free-spending mentality and start paying millions annually in luxury taxes?

Or maybe you think Arenas will suddenly decide that he cares more about playing for a championship contender and elects to take much less than market value just to play with the Spurs? Before you answer, remember that Arenas is opting out of his current contract next summer because he knows the market will pay him more than the $10 mil he's getting now. A smart move on his part, too.

Without question, one of those outrageous scenarios that I just decsribed will have to occur in order for the Spurs to add Arenas. Still think Arenas is worth it? Do you think he should be paid as much as say, Tim Duncan?

Remember, the Spurs are slightly above the cap now. If Rashard Lewis got a max deal this past summar, how much do you think Arenas will be worth?

Wake up people. Face facts. This is a nice pipe dream that will NEVER happen. Just like the Spurs ill-advised flirtation with Jason Kidd.

Spurs' total salaries is going to drop by about 15 million from this year to the next, should be enough to squeeze him in, plus he should take a few mill less than the max to come here since it would almost guarantee rings.

edit: upon further thought, how would we be able to sign him? we're going to be just barely under the salary cap with bowen's new deal plus whatever Fabio and Oduka got. damn

Barbarian
10-15-2007, 07:03 PM

I know that Arenas chances of being a Spur are slim to none. I think that everybody here knows this.

You claimed he would not fit in with Spurs which obviously means you wouldnt want him in SA. To which I think is idiotic. Hes a damn good baller and any team would take him in second.

Hypothetically thinking, if we could keep our nucleus together and add Arenas, would you take it?

SenorSpur
10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I know that Arenas chances of being a Spur are slim to none. I think that everybody here knows this.

You claimed he would not fit in with Spurs which obviously means you wouldnt want him in SA. To which I think is idiotic. Hes a damn good baller and any team would take him in second.

Hypothetically thinking, if we could keep our nucleus together and add Arenas, would you take it?

Arenas is one of the most feared shooters in the league. His contributions would be valuable to any team. However, he would certainly need to conform his playing style to fit into the Spurs system. I just don't see him being a conformist. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see him altering his playing style for anyone or any team. That's why I don't think he would fit in.

To answer your question, if we could keep our nucleus together and if Arenas agrees to conform to the standards and style of the team - you bet. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

ss1986v2
10-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Spurs' total salaries is going to drop by about 15 million from this year to the next, should be enough to squeeze him in, plus he should take a few mill less than the max to come here since it would almost guarantee rings.
thats not how the salary cap works. even with all that money coming off the books, the spurs can only offer whatever amount they are below the cap, which next year looks to be around 6 mil (give or take). we cant offer a contract starting any higher than that.

Barbarian
10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
To answer your question, if we could keep our nucleus together and if Arenas agrees to conform to the standards and style of the team - you bet. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Agreed. I think we are on thee same page now.
:toast

vander
10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
thats not how the salary cap works. even with all that money coming off the books, the spurs can only offer whatever amount they are below the cap, which next year looks to be around 6 mil (give or take). we cant offer a contract starting any higher than that.

yeah that just dawned on me, I had forgotten about the new deals for Fabio, Uduka, Bowen, backup PG guy.

the bowen deal is especially aggravating because we could have resigned him last, after we were at or above the cap, using an exception, now we've lost that flexibility. :bang

THE SIXTH MAN
10-15-2007, 08:03 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that the Spurs don't have and wouldn't have the cap room for a player of GA's caliber. And even if the 08 plan was still in effect we still wouldn't have enough. I guess i should have stated that in my first post. But to say that you wouldn't give him a look just because he hogs the ball on a team full of scrubs is bull shit. Who else is can carry the wiz kids like GA does? AD, Caron Butler? :lol

But if the opportunity was there I'd take him in a heart beat.

Cry Havoc
10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Can anyone imagine the speed of a backcourt featuring Arenas and Parker?

Uh. Hello, Phoenix. My, how slow your full-court break is.

Duncan would block a shot, get the rebound, and we'd score before he got to half court. He'd give his, "Oh, really?" Look and trot back down to play defense.

Anytime you can add a scorer like Gilbert, you take it. It gives us more depth at the 3 allowing Manu to move over there and gives us another body to make plays and be something for Dallas and Phoenix to cry about.

Not gonna happen though.

ambchang
10-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Hmm ... people seems to never learn that a lot of talent != championship. If the 04 Lakers, those loser USA teams and 07 Nuggets didn't drive home that point, the 08 Celtics will.
BTW, despite being extremely fun to watch and quirky, Arenas plays no defense, doesn't pass the ball, take bad shots, and he is a fit for the Spurs that can help teams win. See Marbury, Steve Francis, or any ballhog PG that ever played.
And no, even if the Spurs could take on Arenas without losing one of the big 3s, i wouldn't take him on. Unless I can trade him to some other team that would give the Spurs a defensive center (young PJ brown type, Tyson Chandler, etc) and a good backup point, or an all-star caliber young SF (Luol Deng).

jmard5
10-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Do the Spurs want Arenas?

Ideally, yes. Realistically speaking, obviously no.

vander
10-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Hmm ... people seems to never learn that a lot of talent != championship. If the 04 Lakers, those loser USA teams and 07 Nuggets didn't drive home that point, the 08 Celtics will.

yes, its amazing the spurs were able to win this year with so much talent. we'd better add some less talent this year if we've any hope to repeat, the scola trade was a start, but we still have a risky amount.

DieMrBond
10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
He also listed LA. You think a person like Gilbert would honestly pick SA over LA? He is all about flash and self promotion, and where better to go than LA for that.

Although, he has stated before he wants to stay in Washington (whether that is just keeping his current employees happy or not, who knows)

SenorSpur
10-15-2007, 09:43 PM
He also listed LA. You think a person like Gilbert would honestly pick SA over LA? He is all about flash and self promotion, and where better to go than LA for that.

Although, he has stated before he wants to stay in Washington (whether that is just keeping his current employees happy or not, who knows)

Hmmm. A delicious thought just came to mind.

Wizards and Lakers should make a trade (Arenas and others for Bryant). While Kobe's individual, on-court brilliance and off-court popularity are unmatched, Arenas is one of only a few players that could partially fill the void. The Fakers could then sign Arenas to an extension and build around Arenas. That way, Arenas would get the "big city" stage that he long craves for.

gospursgojas
10-15-2007, 11:02 PM
seriously...

anyone who says they wouldn't take Arenas on the Spurs is an idiot

anyone who says the Spurs wouldn't take Arenas if the $$$ worked out is and idiot

fuck the system.... GA is a baller

Tim Tony & Manu would agree

baseline bum
10-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Funny how the forum who shit all over the idea of "you have to get an all-star like Kidd" is all over Arenas nuts now. Gilbert's not a point guard, and I'd rather have Manu play the two.

Fillmoe
10-15-2007, 11:53 PM
lol @ spurs fans actually thinking he would sign with the spurs for the MLE.... you know hes a greedy player right?

Barbarian
10-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Hey worth a shot right? If he says no than fuck him. But you cant just straight out say NO WAY. The same idiots saying he shouldnt come over would be the same guys wearing his jersey.

YODA
10-16-2007, 12:38 AM
First off..
1. If you get a chance to go after the guy, it has to be done.
2. Obviously, it would cost an arm and a leg to get him and even then ,thats stretching it, but you would have to at least look at the possibility of getting him.odds are we wont have the cap room, but things change sometimes.
3. Can he play in the Spurs system? In my opinion, what pop does best is use the best qualities of his players and utilize those skills in a controlled system. Recall Pop going nuts about Manu's wild play?? Recall Pop going nuts over Parkers over agression? Eventually pop let these players do what they do best, but he keeps them in control, which is the key to pops success. Can he do that with GA? I actually think he would be alot like Finley, trying real hard not to rock the boat, but only some luck and a little cap space will ever give us a chance to see the results of this.

Indazone
10-16-2007, 01:08 AM
yeah right, he's not signing for the MLE. You want him you gotta get rid of one of the Big Three. Either that or cut all your bench players to make room for him.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-16-2007, 01:12 AM
It's been stated numerous times. This is a pipe dream. But if the opportunity was there I wouldn't be mad if the Spurs signed him.

sprrs
10-16-2007, 02:14 AM
Im noy saying hes a typical Spurs player. But you cant turn down one the better players in the league. Do you think Tony was always a Pop type player? He made Parker the player he is by using a thing called "coaching". Who are we to say the same cant be done for someone else? Maybe you are right, but you just cant turn someone like him down. Shit you gotta give it a shot. Too much upside to turn down.

Tony didn't come in as the top dog. He didn't have a big ego when he came in and learned to play as part of the system. What makes you think Arenas, With a big an ego as anyone in the league, and at the height of his prime, would eventually fit in as well as Tony did....he'd have to make major adjustments that Tony didn't have to make.

Obstructed_View
10-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Arenas doesn't play for his team, he plays for himself. He produces because he's disrespected and underestimated, not because he cares about winning, and that only works when you happen to be playing someone that disprespected him. He makes decisions based upon what's best for Gilbert, not what's best for his team. His interviews usually center around what stats he's going to put up with no real discussion of winning or team. He's the Chad Johnson of the NBA.

He's a likable enough guy, and he's got an absolute ton of talent, but I wouldn't wrap any money up in him, and certainly not a cent of guaranteed money while the Spurs are competing for championships.

SenorSpur
10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Arenas doesn't play for his team, he plays for himself. He produces because he's disrespected and underestimated, not because he cares about winning, and that only works when you happen to be playing someone that disprespected him. He makes decisions based upon what's best for Gilbert, not what's best for his team. His interviews usually center around what stats he's going to put up with no real discussion of winning or team. He's the Chad Johnson of the NBA.

Well said. That's exactly the reason why I don't think he would fit in S.A. His personal motivations sometimes stand in the way of what is best for his team. He's an extremely talented, yet selfish ball player. I'm sure he craves being the BIG fish in the pond. I'm personally very leery of how he'd adjust playing on a championshiip-type roster where he is not the biggest star.

ambchang
10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
I find it amusing that people have continuously called others who don't agree with them idiots, yet provide no retort to the little matter of on court chemistry.
Same people who refused to believe Team USA would lose, or the same people who crowded the 04 Lakers the champs before the season started, and the same people who is putting money on the Celtics to make the finals I assume.

spursfan09
10-16-2007, 09:59 AM
I would love having him. Just as long as he could be added without giving up one of the big 3.

Holt's Cat
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Chances are between slim and none but imagine a guard rotation of...

Starters
1 Parker
2 Arenas

Bench
2 Manu
2/3 Udoka

Manu could enter the game for either one. Then if Pop so desired he could switch backcourts with Parker or Arenas and Udoka coming in.

Even if the Spurs had a real shot at Arenas, I doubt they would want to spend that much (~$30 mil per) on their top 3 backcourt players.

Holt's Cat
10-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Anyways, for next summer I would take a look at what proven veteran guards who are slightly past their prime but still solid are available. With Barry and Finley's deals up the Spurs will likely be looking for one veteran replacement.

Holt's Cat
10-16-2007, 10:14 AM
At first glance, the pickings are slim (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008FreeAgents) for veteran shooting guards next summer outside of the Spurs' own free agents. If Barry and/or Finley doesn't show signs of slowing down I could see the Spurs bringing one of them back for another year.

Giricek will be an unrestricted free agent next summer. For the right price he wouldn't be a bad pickup. He's at the age where the Jazz might balk at offering him a large deal. He shoots the 3 at a nice clip.

dougp
10-16-2007, 11:33 AM
PG: Parker
SG: Arenas
SF: Udoka
PF: Splitter
C: Duncan

Bench: Ginboli, Bowen, Oberto, Vaughn, Horry, Barry

Sorry, but that is plain sick ... just silly. If it was possible, he would need MLE or not even all of it. If he wants a championship, he would do it.

phxspurfan
10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Arenas = B.Diddy part deux

SenorSpur
10-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Again. Arenas WILL obtain a max-level contract from some team - it just wont be the Spurs. Spurs will not be able to afford a MAX player like him.

vander
10-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Again. Arenas WILL obtain a max-level contract from some team - it just wont be the Spurs. Spurs will not be able to afford a MAX player like him.

but the 4 teams he mentioned are all over the cap, what gives?

Big P
10-16-2007, 12:45 PM
yeah right, he's not signing for the MLE. You want him you gotta get rid of one of the Big Three. Either that or cut all your bench players to make room for him.

I dont think anyone is saying he will accept the MLE to play for the Spurs, what we ARE saying is that IF he would sign for the MLE, people wouldn't mind him playing here.

Barbarian
10-16-2007, 01:18 PM
I dont think anyone is saying he will accept the MLE to play for the Spurs, what we ARE saying is that IF he would sign for the MLE, people wouldn't mind him playing here.

Exactly.

Barbarian
10-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Tony didn't come in as the top dog. He didn't have a big ego when he came in and learned to play as part of the system. What makes you think Arenas, With a big an ego as anyone in the league, and at the height of his prime, would eventually fit in as well as Tony did....he'd have to make major adjustments that Tony didn't have to make.

I completely understand your arguement. But if there is one team and one coach on this planet that could have achance at taming his ego and alter his style of play in exchange for a championship dont you think it would be the Spurs?

Barbarian
10-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I find it amusing that people have continuously called others who don't agree with them idiots, yet provide no retort to the little matter of on court chemistry.
Same people who refused to believe Team USA would lose, or the same people who crowded the 04 Lakers the champs before the season started, and the same people who is putting money on the Celtics to make the finals I assume.

You assume wrong. We are not talking about throwing four or five HOFs all together that have never played together. I am talking about one player joining a current championship team. And one very good player at that. If we are talking about keeping big 3 and getting GA for MLE, its worth the risk IMO. In Fact, in that scenario, its not much of risk.

As far as your assumption go...
Team USA: I dont think anyone saw that coming(incuding you)
04 Laker: Wasnt on that bandwagon
Celtics: I dont think they will get to the Finals(but I have to see them play before i can predict anything)

SenorSpur
10-16-2007, 02:07 PM

People, this aint gonna happen.

Once again, Arenas is opting out of his current contract because he knows he'll get a max deal from some team. Therefore, there is "zero" chance he'll sign for anything less than that. All of which makes Arenas' comments ring hollow and this entire thread pointless.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-16-2007, 02:42 PM
:lol Well you got no response from me because the arguments in this thread are based on opinion and pure speculation. Not actual fact. But just to play devil's advocate.

What I'm reading from you guys is that he's a ball hog. But you guys arent taking into account when pointing that out is that on the wiz he's options 1 2 and 3. Meaning that while he wears number 0, he's surrounded by them as well. Which showed very badly during their first round exit last season. I seriously doubt Caron Butlers presence would have made much of a difference. Let me put it in to perspective for you. If Tim Duncan were in Arenas's shoes. Would you still call him a ball hog for taking the majority of shots for the Wizards? Keep in mind that Eddie Jordan is the head coach and your "big 3" consist of Antwan Jamison and Caron Butler. If I'm a wiz fan I want Tim or Ga taking those shots. After all he is the franchise player. Now I'm not saying I condone that philosophy of basketball. But I understand it.

And no one is talking about assembling an all star cast of basketball players. Just talking about throwing one very talented basketball player in to the mix. In a magical land of pixies and fairies, if Gilbert were to magically sign with the Spurs. It would be a low risk hi reward situation.

Big P
10-16-2007, 02:47 PM
People, this aint gonna happen.

Once again, Arenas is opting out of his current contract because he knows he'll get a max deal from some team. Therefore, there is "zero" chance he'll sign for anything less than that. All of which makes Arenas' comments ring hollow and this entire thread pointless.

Once again no one said it WAS going to happen...what people are saying though is IF he would sign for the MLE most Spurs fans would be open to the idea of him playing here...why is so hard for people to understand that?

ambchang
10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
You assume wrong. We are not talking about throwing four or five HOFs all together that have never played together. I am talking about one player joining a current championship team. And one very good player at that. If we are talking about keeping big 3 and getting GA for MLE, its worth the risk IMO. In Fact, in that scenario, its not much of risk.

As far as your assumption go...
Team USA: I dont think anyone saw that coming(incuding you)
04 Laker: Wasnt on that bandwagon
Celtics: I dont think they will get to the Finals(but I have to see them play before i can predict anything)

Team USA: Many people saw that coming, Team USA struggled in Australia before they were lost in 2002 and 2004. People continued to hide their heads in the sand after Australia with the talent card, some continued to hide after that talent card after 2002.

04 Lakers – This is a team that was a year removed from 3-peat, added two HoF (though both on the decline). Karl Malone was more than serviceable at that point, and Payton was still one of the better PGs in the league.

The assumption is that the Spurs can reign in Gilbert Arenas and make him into a Spurs-type player. While there was some success in this department for the Spurs in the past (Stephen Jackson), there were also numerous failed examples (Rodman, Derek Anderson, Hedo, Beno). The Spurs organization is one of the best in the league, if not the best, and Pop is a brilliant coach, but they are not magicians, they can’t miraculously change people’s attitudes and playing styles. If there is one thing the Spurs did better than most teams in the league, it is to identify the intangibles of the players and gauge fit before pursuing them.

ambchang
10-16-2007, 02:57 PM
:lol Well you got no response from me because the arguments in this thread are based on opinion and pure speculation. Not actual fact. But just to play devil's advocate.

What I'm reading from you guys is that he's a ball hog. But you guys arent taking into account when pointing that out is that on the wiz he's options 1 2 and 3. Meaning that while he wears number 0, he's surrounded by them as well. Which showed very badly during their first round exit last season. I seriously doubt Caron Butlers presence would have made much of a difference. Let me put it in to perspective for you. If Tim Duncan were in Arenas's shoes. Would you still call him a ball hog for taking the majority of shots for the Wizards? Keep in mind that Eddie Jordan is the head coach and your "big 3" consist of Antwan Jamison and Caron Butler. If I'm a wiz fan I want Tim or Ga taking those shots. After all he is the franchise player. Now I'm not saying I condone that philosophy of basketball. But I understand it.

And no one is talking about assembling an all star cast of basketball players. Just talking about throwing one very talented basketball player in to the mix. In a magical land of pixies and fairies, if Gilbert were to magically sign with the Spurs. It would be a low risk hi reward situation.

Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler are both very accomplished players. Butler was an all-star last year, and Jamison can score with the best of them. Neither of these players have any problems on the offensive side of the court. If I have a choice between starting a team between Butler or Arenas, I will choose Arenas, but if the Spurs were to get either one of those players, I would take Butler any time of the day. Butler can shoot, can drive, and pass, and plays decent defense.

If Arenas was to sign for the Spurs for the MLE, then sure, sign him up, then trade him for more essential pieces, like a rebounding/defensive center, a backup PG and a SF, but not if the Spurs have to keep him long term.

4down
10-16-2007, 02:57 PM
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Default.aspx?player=Agent+Arenas

looks like he's a prime candidate for Nintendonitis...

bdictjames
10-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Well this solves our back-up point guard problems!!!

Barbarian
10-16-2007, 03:33 PM
but if the Spurs were to get either one of those players, I would take Butler any time of the day.

:drunk

I am at a loss of words. :dizzy

ambchang
10-16-2007, 03:56 PM
:drunk

I am at a loss of words. :dizzy

Perhaps it’s just very different ways of looking at constructing a team. This is not a case of picking Bowie over Jordan because I have Drexler (BTW, Bowie was a can’t miss back then, Jordan wasn’t all that back then, if he was, he would’ve been picked #1), it is a case of having a well-oiled machine, and instead of adding small parts to it, you are putting a player who dominate the ball, has no attributes that fits in the current system, and is everything opposite to what the current team represents.
Arenas is a fun player to watch, talented, have memorable quotes and such, but he is not a player that is a system player. This is the same case as adding an Marbury, or a Francis, I just won’t do it. On the other hand, I am mildly interested in adding Iverson, I don’t know why, perhaps because I have always been a fan of his.

exstatic
10-16-2007, 06:47 PM
but the 4 teams he mentioned are all over the cap, what gives?
He's talking out of his ass? NBA players do it sometimes, and Agent Zero does it frequently.

ShoogarBear
10-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Um, not just no but...+1

Maybe when he's a 12-year vet who's never come within sniffing distance of a ring the light will go on for Gil.

ShoogarBear
10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Funny how the forum who shit all over the idea of "you have to get an all-star like Kidd" is all over Arenas nuts now. Gilbert's not a point guard, and I'd rather have Manu play the two.Basketball 101:

If you gave Gilbert Arenas the choice between being a 18 PPG players with a couple of rings and being what he is now, he'd choose to stay Hibachi.

The guy has gotten where he is because of that second-round chip on his shoulder, which is good. However that chip has completely blinded him to anything outside of his own personal status first.

Obstructed_View
10-16-2007, 09:50 PM
+1

Maybe when he's a 12-year vet who's never come within sniffing distance of a ring the light will go on for Gil.
Maybe when he makes a statement that he's interested in playing for an elite team and actually signs with them for the MLE rather than taking max money to play in Atlanta...

ShoogarBear
10-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Maybe when he makes a statement that he's interested in playing for an elite team and actually signs with them for the MLE rather than taking max money to play in Atlanta...I don't think Arenas should be expected to play for the MLE any more than you should expect Manu or Steve Nash or Kevin Garnett to play for the MLE. He's a max or near-max talent and in the NBA market deserves to be paid like one.

The problem is that this year, instead or trying to earn his next contract by improving his defense and producing wins and a deep playoff run, he's going to do it by concentrating on his individual offensive stats.

phyzik
10-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Agent Zero picked his number appropriately... a fucking zero.

Let him hog that ball up on the Wizards all he wants.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
I don't think Arenas should be expected to play for the MLE any more than you should expect Manu or Steve Nash or Kevin Garnett to play for the MLE. He's a max or near-max talent and in the NBA market deserves to be paid like one.
Agreed, but since everybody knows that, it's just disengenuous to act like he'd be interested in going to a team that can't afford to pay him. Again, I don't fault someone for taking the money; it's a LOT of money that one would be a fool to pass up, but it's annoying that he'd act like he gives a shit about winning, when it's never been on his radar.

The problem is that this year, instead or trying to earn his next contract by improving his defense and producing wins and a deep playoff run, he's going to do it by concentrating on his individual offensive stats.
Again, agreed. If we thought he was Gilbert first in previous years, this should be fun to watch (for non-Wizards fans).