PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the Euro Expansion

Indazone
10-16-2007, 12:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ks-europe101507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Bring on European expansion

By Kenny Smith, Yahoo! Sports
October 15, 2007

While on the NBA Europe Live Tour which featured NBA teams playing in Turkey, Italy, Spain and England, I pondered this question: Is it possible for the league to have teams that reside in Europe?

I've talked to commissioner David Stern on several occasions about this subject and he contends that due to scheduling, logistical nightmares and time-zone changes, it is out of the question at this time. He also told me that the All-Star game would be too difficult to have in Europe because of the same reasons at this time. He always ends such statements with "at this time." (There's the hint.)

Do I think it's possible? Yes. There are a lot of variables, but if planned correctly, European expansion could and should happen.

I used to be one of those purists that thought basketball is our game and that European players are inferior. Am I right? Who cares? The real truth came from Bill Russell when I was complaining about foreign players and their inclusion. He said, as an African-American, I should never complain about inclusion. So I'm all for adding teams from overseas.

I agree that scheduling would be a huge problem. For example, if there was a team in Spain, it would have approximately an eight-hour flight to the United States. Then when it got here, it would have to deal with the time zone change, a seven-hour difference if it played on the West Coast. How could you give the team fair time to adjust?

The solution is simple: add approximately six new franchises at once.

They would make up the new Euro Division, with teams based in Italy, Spain, France, England and Greece. Clubs from North America would have to spend two weeks of the regular season in Europe before the All-Star game and again after the All-Star game. To further accommodate this expansion across the Atlantic Ocean, the NBA would have to shorten the schedule to 70 games. (I feel it's worth shortening the season to add the global market to the league!)

I know the next comment from my former NBA purist brothers is "The NBA is already watered down in talent. These new teams would dilute the league even more!" Do I really have to bring the Olympics or world championships up? Or the fact that American dominance is over?

We have seen Spain, Greece and other countries fare extremely well against our so-called best. The world has caught up. (OK, there – I said it!)

Growing up in New York City, this reminds me of the time when all of the hot rappers came from New York – Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One, Run-D.M.C., etc. Then someone realized that, damn, they're rapping in Cali, too, with N.W.A. and Ice-T. Even Coolio ain't half-bad. (OK, I'm overdoing it.) Then came the Dirty South with Outkast and Dungeon Family. Then the Midwest popped off with Bone Thugs and Common … you get my drift?

There is talent out there, and it's creeping into the NBA instead of making a splash all at once. Don't sleep! Do you really think a team featuring Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Dirk Nowitzki couldn't contend? Hell, the past two MVPs came from Canada and Germany. Yao Ming could be next.

So, come on: expand your mind and be global. The commissioner is. And trust me, you will be wearing that Team Italia fitted and the Greece throwback one day. Count on it.

ambchang
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
The solution is to buy a Euro league, and the two leagues never meet until the final (or exhibition).

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
He say all this if you read it after he talk to Stern. He not get all this details of this with unless Stern tell him.

I guesses Chumpdumper to thread soon.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2007, 03:36 PM
I've talked to commissioner David Stern on several occasions about this subject and he contends that due to scheduling, logistical nightmares and time-zone changes, it is out of the question at this time.Denial isn't just a river in Greece.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Denial isn't just a river in Greece.

"AT THIS TIME"

Athens press say team not be in Greece untils 2010-2011 or 2012-2013.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
"AT THIS TIME"

Athens press say team not be in Greece untils 2010-2011 or 2012-2013.I'm still waiting for the announcement that it is a done deal like you claimed?

Where is it?

Give me that report or shut up. This is nothing new.

The Athens press said it was a radio interview on WFAN. That was a lie. And you're still lying.

JMarkJohns
10-16-2007, 03:42 PM
The solution is to buy a Euro league, and the two leagues never meet until the final (or exhibition).

That's a quality idea. They don't need to expand. They need to just move a few franchises if they feel it necessary to move overseas.

Hornets are vagabonds. There's gotta be one or two more...

BeerIsGood!
10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
The talent is already spread so think that there are only about 4 or 5 legitimate teams in the league, and they want to expand overseas?

LaMarcus Bryant
10-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Exactly.....you have to look no further than anywhere outside of the state of texas to find teams that have 1 overpaid max contract that prevents GM's from maneuvering the way they'd prefer, two decent players, and a bench full of scrubs. Adding the Bobcats was a horrible mistake

urunobili
10-17-2007, 09:44 AM
i really liked this story from Kenny... i was actually surprised that he was the one doing it... i think we have witnessed many times teams in Europe defeating the ones from the NBA... their rosters are pretty good and 100% of them have Americans on their teams.. the only problem i foresee with this, is to force an American kid out of college to play overseas cause of the draft result...

Bruno
12-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Stern has given this week an interview about the euro expansion in a French newspaper. He has said :
- Only London has an arena able to host nba games.
- Two new arenas in Madrid and Berlin will be built soon and you have projects in Hamburg, Rome, Prague and Poland.
- The euro expansion is possible and doable.
- Teams' travels aren't a big problem.
- Deciding factors will be : TV incomes, prices of tickets and number of arenas able to host nba games.
- A China expansion won't be done but a minor league could be created in China.

nfg3
12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
That's a quality idea. They don't need to expand. They need to just move a few franchises if they feel it necessary to move overseas.

Hornets are vagabonds. There's gotta be one or two more...

Throw in the Sonics, too. Maybe even one of the LA teams - Clippers more than the Lakers based on history.

Anyway it's a good idea and it's time will come. When I don't know but scheduling will be the major problem. The placing of teams over in Europe for an extended time - the two weeks mentioned if not more - is probably the way they will go. Jet lag will absolutely kill mmost teams if they keep to the current type of scheduling.

Other problems that will come up are the quality of referees in FIBA (concensus is that FIBA refs are much worse that NBA ones) and the many differences between the NBA and FIBA rules - goaltending, lane shape,,,etc. Which side gives in, will there be compromises (most likely) or will the almighty dollar/euro prevail?

exstatic
12-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I used to be one of those purists that thought basketball is our game and that European players are inferior. Am I right? Who cares? The real truth came from Bill Russell when I was complaining about foreign players and their inclusion. He said, as an African-American, I should never complain about inclusion. So I'm all for adding teams from overseas.
Thank you, Bill Russell for straightening out this dumb prick. Smith is a fucking racist. He was asked to speak to the incoming rookies one year, and refused to talk to the Europeans, pulling ONLY the black players aside for a chat.

ricketts
12-09-2007, 02:59 PM

I envision a soccer like seeding schedual. let the team play the regular season in their own divisions and then bring them all together for the finals. that way its the best playing the best for the title. I thinnk it would be much to difficult and expensive to fly entire orginizations overseas several times a year. besides that you would have to either reduce the number of repeat games in a season or drastically increase the lenght and number of games in the regular season. one of wich is bad for fans the other of wich is bad for players.

Kobayagi
12-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Why is England mentioned as a candidate? Just because they have a suitable arena to host games? British teams are not even good enough for Euroleague.

Even France is questionable. The expansion should include teams from Spain, Greece, Italy and Russia.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Why is England mentioned as a candidate? Just because they have a suitable arena to host games? British teams are not even good enough for Euroleague.

Even France is questionable. The expansion should include teams from Spain, Greece, Italy and Russia.The level of existing teams and leagues doesn't matter at all. If this happens, these will be NBA teams. Any teams that already existed will have their rosters completely overhauled through the expansion and regular drafts and free agency, as they will no longer be constrained by limits on the number of foreigners playing.

Suitable venues and sustainable markets are the most important considerations.

sendman
12-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I hope that never happens. There is too much difference between bball in Europe and USA. It is a whole different mind-set. NBA is all business and entertainment and there is very little pure sports left. In Europe things are much more raw and basic. Fans don't care much about show, it's all about winning a ball game (no matter how). European basketball games give you pleasure in a different (more soccer like) way. Is that good or bad depends on personal perception. I like euroball better, but that is probably because I grew up with watching it first.
European NBA division would simply destroy basketball in Europe and I really don't want that. It is bad enough, that rich NBA teams are plundering throughout Europe, buying everything in sight. Young players are then destroyed by sitting at the end of some NBA bench, because they were bought based on some supposed potential and not on their true value. Instead of playing and learning in some team in Europe those young peolple are lured across the pond with some insane contracts. 15 years ago, NBA teams were buying only best of the best in Europe. Guys that proved themselves in many international games, like Sabonis, Petrovic, Marculionis, Divac, Kukoc. Now they are buying everything and we can enjoy watching guys like Milicic, Belinelli, Brezec and bunch of other guys that will never really make it. Hell, they will never even get a real chance, because they are just not developed enough or simply not good enough.

E20
12-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Pondered? :lol

LMAO Is that in Kenny's vocab or did he have to bust out the dictionary for that one.