PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Spurs Game on NBATV tonight

SenorSpur
10-16-2007, 02:53 PM
For all Spurs fans, especially those of you younger generation Spurs fans, NBATV is broadcasting Game 7 of the 1979 Eastern Conference Finals between Spurs and Bullets tonight @ 12:00AM CST.

A bit of history for those that were not around for that series. The Central Division champion Spurs and Bullets had met the previous year in the 1978 ECSF series (that's right, the Spurs were in the Eastern Conference back then). The Bullets easily defeated the Spurs 4-2 and went on to win the 1978 NBA Championship over the Seattle Supersonics.

Fast forward one year later. The Spurs won the Central Divison once again and had just dispatched the Philadelphia 76ers (4-3) to capture the very first-ever victory in a seven-game series as a franchise. Next up were the defending NBA champion Washington Bullets in the ECF series. The Bullets were a very physical team that featured the likes of future Hall-of-famers, PF Elvin Hayes (Big E) and Wes Unseld, one of the most underrated and undersized centers of all time. Also featured for the Bullets was perenninal defensive stalwart, Bobby Dandridge, who was assigned the task of slowing down the Iceman.

The Spurs roared out to a 3-1 series lead. The Bullets then stormed back and tied the series. This controversial Game 7 was winner-take-all for the right to advance to the NBA Finals versus the Seattle Supersonics. This Game 7 featured a slew of some very, very questionable officiating and other events that went against the Spurs during the late stages of this deciding game. All of which led many of us, who watched that game, to proclaim the game was fixed. Sounds almost Cubaneque, doesn't it?

Even still, this was one of the most thrilling playoff games in NBA history. For those were weren't around back then, this will be your chance to witness vintage Spurs in action, such as the Iceman (Gervin), Mr. K (Larry Kenon) and the Whopper (Billy Paultz), among others. Witnessing the brilliance of the Iceman is reason enough to watch.

bdictjames
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
But I dont have NBATV

Mitch Cumsteen
10-16-2007, 03:31 PM
1. Thanks for the heads up.
2. Burn in hell, John Vanak.

degenerate_gambler
10-16-2007, 03:31 PM
That game was never on TV if I recall. We only had Terry Stembridge over the airwaves that nite I thought.

Wonder if they'll include the 'mysterious' power outage in the 2nd half with SA up comfortably?

SenorSpur
10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
That game was never on TV if I recall. We only had Terry Stembridge over the airwaves that nite I thought.

Wonder if they'll include the 'mysterious' power outage in the 2nd half with SA up comfortably?

That's correct. It wassn't on TV, at least in S.A. back then. I completely forgot about that power outage. Do you think that would've occurred if the Bullets would've been ahead?

thispego
10-16-2007, 03:51 PM
watched a little bit of game 4 during my lunch break

tmtcsc
10-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I remember that game !! The water cannons went off by mistake and delayed the start...I had just finished watching 3's Company before I tuned into the radio to hear the game.

My brother kept begging me to come and play Atari Space Invaders with him.

I Keed Keed :p:

ShoogarBear
10-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Crap. That will be painful to watch again. That game, and the game loss to the Nets in the 1976 playoffs, were the Spurs' closest equivalents to 0.4* until the real one came along.

Although it will be good to start the season with an edge. :makemyday

Trainwreck2100
10-16-2007, 04:20 PM
This is also the series where Dan Cook's "Not over till the fat lady sings" line got picked up by the national media.

SenorSpur
10-16-2007, 04:54 PM
This is also the series where Dan Cook's "Not over till the fat lady sings" line got picked up by the national media.

That's correct. To this day, the media give Dick Motta credit for that line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Bullets

The miracle 1977-78 season
Although they had future hall of famers Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld on the team, The Bullets finished the season 44-38 and were a longshot to win the NBA Championship, but coach Dick Motta used the famed phrase "The opera ain't over 'til the fat lady sings!" This became the rallying cry for the Bullets as they finished a playoff run that led to the NBA Finals, defeating the Seattle SuperSonics in 7 games to bring a professional sports championship to Washington D.C. for the first time in 36 years.

Spurminator
10-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the tip, I've been wanting to see this game for a long time.

Slydragon
10-16-2007, 04:57 PM
I saw it this morning.

degenerate_gambler
10-16-2007, 05:03 PM
That's correct. To this day, the media give Dick Motta credit for that line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Bullets

Bartlett's gives credit where credit's due...

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1817.html

mikejones99
10-16-2007, 05:06 PM
also includes updates from 76ers knicks game where Julius slams over McAdoo. Gervin missed alot of free throws

ShoogarBear
10-16-2007, 07:42 PM
This is also the series where Dan Cook's "Not over till the fat lady sings" line got picked up by the national media.Actually that happened in the 1978 ECSF series, the year the Bullets won the championship.

In 1979 they met in the ECF, but the Bullets lost in the Finals to the Sonics.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-16-2007, 08:18 PM
They show that game a lot for some reason. Like 3-4 times a week.

Solid D
10-16-2007, 11:08 PM
The schedule says it's "San Antonio Spurs vs. Washington Bullets." Game 4 of the 1978 Eastern Conference Semifinals.

SenorSpur
10-17-2007, 12:12 AM
The schedule says it's "San Antonio Spurs vs. Washington Bullets." Game 4 of the 1978 Eastern Conference Semifinals.

That's right. It seems that Game 7 of the 1979 ECF was aired 12 hours earlier today.

My bad.