PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Bonner

raspsa
10-16-2007, 10:59 PM
He was playing great till he got injured last season. I reallythink he has what it takes to be a Horry-replacement. He seems to have put a lot of work in during the offseason and he is physically stronger and as energetic as ever in early pre-season games. I think he has the best form among the Spurs 3-point shooters and I'd love to see him participate in the All-Star 3-point shootout. I'm expecting good things this season.

barbacoataco
10-16-2007, 11:03 PM
While Bonner has skills on the offensive end, his defensive limitations will still influence his playing time when it comes to individual match-ups.

SequSpur
10-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Bonner sucks and won't play one important minute.

Solid D
10-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Bonner needs to study the opponents, think the game and anticipate plays...to go along with making his energy plays. That cerebral part of the game will bring him closer to what Horry brings.

Speaking of 3-point shooting form, Bowen actually exhibits some nice form on his corner 3-point jumpers.

raspsa
10-16-2007, 11:15 PM
While Bonner has skills on the offensive end, his defensive limitations will still influence his playing time when it comes to individual match-ups.
I agree completely. The thing with Bonner is he's intelligent and he's willing to work hard. I have no doubt that if he applies himself to becoming a better defensive player, he can achieve his goal. I expect him to contribute more this year as Pop really limits Horry's playing time.

SequSpur
10-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Bonner needs study the opponents, think the game and anticipate plays...to go along with making his energy plays. That cerebral part of the game will bring him closer to what Horry brings.

Speaking of 3-point shooting form, Bowen actually exhibits some nice form on his corner 3-point jumpers.

Horry is 10 times faster than Bonner. He is a better defender off the ball. Bonner is a turtle... Bonner can hit a wide open jumper.. Horry can hit shit with hands in the face, falling out of bounds..

You know, I find it difficult to give credit to any fucking take that compares Bonner to Horry in anything.

It isn't even close... You run bonner's ass out there, you might as well get ready for the lottery, he sucks. period.

E20
10-16-2007, 11:25 PM
I expect Bonner to adequatley warm up every seat for the players and coaches to comfortley sit on. As well as reprising his garbage minutes.

Solid D
10-16-2007, 11:36 PM
The part that we may never know about Bonner's game is if he can hit the Big Shot in crunch time. Bonner hasn't shown he can be in there at crunch time, with the exception of one of the Sacramento games last season.

SequSpur
10-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Exactly, this stiff won't get one important minute this year unless all Players 1-10 are injured.

They paid this dude $3 million/year. what a dumb idea.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2007, 11:52 PM
We're falling into the same old "next DRob" trap.

This guys isn't Horry, but who else is?

O-Factor
10-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Bonner needs to study the opponents, think the game and anticipate plays...to go along with making his energy plays. That cerebral part of the game will bring him closer to what Horry brings.

I agree. Horry is completely cerebral, especially on the defensive end. Sadly I'm not sure he will live up to what Horry brings on the defensive end.

TDMVPDPOY
10-17-2007, 12:08 AM
he should be avg malik rose stats coming of the bench...

phyzik
10-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Im going with:

12.1ppg
46%fga
1.3apg
49.6%3pa

Dex
10-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Im going with:

49.6%3pa

:wow

phyzik
10-17-2007, 01:12 AM
:wow

lol, I meant 39.6%3pa

stupid Keyboard :pctoss

:lol

mystargtr34
10-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Bonner > Sequ

raspsa
10-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Ok we all have our expectations so we'll just have to wait and see how he performs. I hope he does well as the Spurs are going to need another big man who can hit from the perimeter.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-17-2007, 03:49 AM
Exactly, this stiff won't get one important minute this year unless all Players 1-10 are injured.

They paid this dude $3 million/year. what a dumb idea.

Don't get your attitude at all. Horry only wants to play after A-S break, so why not give Bonner 10-15 minutes a night for the first two months and see how he does.

He's no Horry, but he will hustle his arse off, and he has range. Give him a chance. The coaches obviously see something in him, or they wouldn't have kept him around.

Also, this will be his second year in the system, so look for his D to improve markedly.

timvp
10-17-2007, 04:00 AM
Bonner averaged 5 points and 3 rebounds last year in 12 minutes. I'd guess he'll probably average something like 7 points and 4.5 rebounds in 16 minutes.

slayermin
10-17-2007, 04:18 AM
He's a scrapper and shoots the three. I'm glad he's back. As long as he shoots the three at a good percentage, I think he will have a positive impact on the game. You know he's gonna hustle.

duncan7721
10-17-2007, 05:18 AM
I agree completely. The thing with Bonner is he's intelligent and he's willing to work hard. I have no doubt that if he applies himself to becoming a better defensive player, he can achieve his goal. I expect him to contribute more this year as Pop really limits Horry's playing time.
I agree also, the spurs are known for defense, and we don't want to let that reputation slide.

urunobili
10-17-2007, 08:56 AM
plus... his basketball IQ is FAR from Horry's... :devil

mardigan
10-17-2007, 08:58 AM
7-10 points and 4-6 rebounds

wildbill2u
10-17-2007, 10:04 AM
His hustle will get him some additional minutes over and above his skill set. Hard to quantify what hustle and energy brings to a team but that type of player can sometimes lift a team out of the doldrums and coaches love it.

Mitch Cumsteen
10-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Agree completely with wildbill2u.

I liked what Bonner brought to the table with his hustle last year. He's not afraid to mix it up and go after loose balls. The Spurs need another energy player off the bench beside Manu, and I think he's a perfect fit for that role. His three point shooting is a bonus because he can spread the floor for Duncan down low or for Tony or Manu to penetrate.

He's never going to be the weakside shot blocking presence or defender that Horry is/was, but if he can play competent low post defense, get rebounds and make hustle plays, and hit the occasional three, he has a definite spot in the rotation.

His contract is definitely going to ratchet up the expectations, especially in light of what happened with Scola. Obviously Pop and RC saw something in him where they felt he was worth the money. So far, they've only made three real mistakes with doling out contracts: Malik, Rasho, and Butler. Let's hope Bonner isn't number 4.

sandman
10-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Expectations for a guy who is on the bottom side of the rotation?

I am not expecting anything of Bonner other than to be a good 10-12 minute a game guy who hustles hard and hits the occasional 3-ball.

He is not the next anybody. He is not going to assume the legacy mantle of any of the players who have endeared themselves to Spurs fans.

But he is not a scrub and does have some skills. We need to quit forcing him into the Horry/Malik mold and let him be his own player.

yavozerb
10-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I like having Bonner on the team. All the guy does is bust his ass on the court for loose balls, hits occasional three, and gets average amount of rebounds. He will never be a starter but he can be a long term fix on the 2nd unit. To say he "he sucks" is to simply show your ignorance on basketball and what it takes for a TEAM to win. I expect this guy to have a good season and contribute when the starters are taking a breather. If it comes down Bonner having to hit a game winner, then its not Bonners fault for missing the shot, its everone else who did not do enough during the game for it come down to that shot!!

ShoogarBear
10-17-2007, 10:48 AM
12.1ppg:wow :wow :wow

mystargtr34
10-17-2007, 10:57 AM
20 minutes
8 points
4.5 rebounds
48% FG
41% 3PT

Scola Trade
10-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Bonner is a scrub. The best way that he can help this team is staying behing the bench on street clothes together with Beno :lol

jn77
10-17-2007, 12:19 PM
I actually like Bonner. He needs to work on his defensive game more, but he is not a total waste of space when he is on the floor.

shaq_h8ter
10-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Dude you just can't take a player and turn him into another player, get over it.
Bonner just doesn't have the right tools to do what Robert does.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Given the low expectations, I expect him to be a pleasant surprise.

yavozerb
10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Dude you just can't take a player and turn him into another player, get over it.
Bonner just doesn't have the right tools to do what Robert does.

Dude, no where in this thread is it mentioned that Bonner is or will be Horry on the floor..

shaq_h8ter
10-17-2007, 01:07 PM
For example, Bonner would never do what Robert did to Steve Nash; he just doesn't have that kind of Court IQ.

Holt's Cat
10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I expect to see his PT increase a little this season but he certainly shouldn't break 20 min a night barring injuries to others in the rotation.

Starters
4 Duncan
5 Oberto or Elson

Bench
4 Horry/Bonner
5 Oberto or Elson

IR (Austin)
4 Mahinmi

Pop will probably rest Horry during the season so Bonner should have the opportunity to get some minutes early on and of course if he plays well Pop might find a way to give him a regular rotation spot during the season.

Again, the long term expectation for Bonner is not to magically turn himself into a clone of Horry but rather to follow the path of another top Spurs' bigman reserve, Malik Rose. If Bonner can be about 80% as effective as Malik was on the boards and on defense, with similar energy and hustle, and with a reliable 3 point shot then he should have a nice long stay with the Spurs.

Spurs Brazil
10-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Bonner was playing very well last season before the injury

I think he can play solid minutes and give Horry a rest

Mitch Cumsteen
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't understand why people are so down on Bonner. When he broke into the rotation and got some minutes last year before his injury, he was a definite contributor. He wasn't some human victory cigar off the end of the bench.

If you really want to be surprised, go back and look at the team's record while Bonner was out with his injury from 1/15 to 2/14: 8-7. It was probably the team's worst stretch of the season. I'm not saying his absence from the lineup was responsible, but he was getting steady rotation minutes before his injury.

Joe Schmoogins
10-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Given the low expectations, I expect him to be a pleasant surprise.

I agree.

thousandth
10-17-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't understand why people are so down on Bonner. When he broke into the rotation and got some minutes last year before his injury, he was a definite contributor. He wasn't some human victory cigar off the end of the bench.

If you really want to be surprised, go back and look at the team's record while Bonner was out with his injury from 1/15 to 2/14: 8-7. It was probably the team's worst stretch of the season. I'm not saying his absence from the lineup was responsible, but he was getting steady rotation minutes before his injury.

Yes. Why? Maybe, they watched a particular game in the last playoffs.

SequSpur
10-17-2007, 06:35 PM
I like having Bonner on the team. All the guy does is bust his ass on the court for loose balls, hits occasional three, and gets average amount of rebounds. He will never be a starter but he can be a long term fix on the 2nd unit. To say he "he sucks" is to simply show your ignorance on basketball and what it takes for a TEAM to win. I expect this guy to have a good season and contribute when the starters are taking a breather. If it comes down Bonner having to hit a game winner, then its not Bonners fault for missing the shot, its everone else who did not do enough during the game for it come down to that shot!!

Bonner Sucks.

Period.

Hook Dem
10-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Bonner Sucks.

Period.
Did he piss on your Post Toasties Sequ????? :lmao

objective
10-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I don't understand why people are so down on Bonner. When he broke into the rotation and got some minutes last year before his injury. . .

Bonner didn't play or break his way into the rotation, it happened because of an injury to Elson.

yavozerb
10-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Bonner Sucks.

Period.
hhhmmm, I think we heard you the first 20 times... :dizzy

SequSpur
10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
hhhmmm, I think we heard you the first 20 times... :dizzy

Then quit bringing it up.

telecomguy
10-17-2007, 07:31 PM
For example, Bonner would never do what Robert did to Steve Nash; he just doesn't have that kind of Court IQ.

You obviously didn't see Bonner take down Garnett while fighting for a rebound when Bonner was still playing for Raptors. He almost took Garnett's head off. Garnett came after Bonner and almost had a fight but Bonner didn't give an inch. I don't remember what caused the incident but Bonner can definitely mix it up with anyone and will do whatever it takes to compete even if he is not the second coming of Horry. He seems to be a competitor and has some skill sets and plays smartly within his physical capability so i don't think we should write him off as a loser or totally useless benchwarmer. He is the type of player who COULD make a huge play or plays in the playoffs to make a difference.

Tek_XX
10-17-2007, 07:33 PM
For 3 million i hope he does something productive.

Spurs Dynasty 21
10-17-2007, 08:39 PM
22.4 ppg
10.3 rbs
2.3 blks

nothing much really

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-17-2007, 08:41 PM
22.4 ppg
10.3 rbs
2.3 blks

nothing much really
Will that be enough to get rid of that irritating sig of yours?

wildchild
10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Will that be enough to get rid of that irritating sig of yours?

To ElliottFan :toast

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-17-2007, 09:45 PM
:lol :toast

spurschick
10-17-2007, 09:53 PM
With his beard, Matt currently reminds me of the character below.

http://deadpuppy.darkgraysheep.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/scictt.jpg

T Park
10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
For 3 million i hope he does something productive

Who was out there worth the 3 million they should've spent it on?

Thats right, no one.

SequSpur
10-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Who was out there worth the 3 million they should've spent it on?

Thats right, no one.

They didn't have to spend it dickhead.

wildchild
10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Bonner Sucks.

Period.

What's your problem, dude. Drink problem?. Wow, I'm so worried about you.

The Truth #6
10-17-2007, 10:10 PM
I remember he had a chance to hit a last second 3 last year to win a game and he missed. I'll agree with Chump that comparing him to Horry isn't going to help his development. But I seem to think the coaching staff is the one most interested in making him the next Horry, so we'll see how this year goes. Expecting him to somehow get significantly better seems like a big stretch. I don't see him all of a sudden becoming a clutch player.

SequSpur
10-17-2007, 10:12 PM
What's your problem, dude. Drink problem?. Wow, I'm so worried about you.

Don't worry about me, worry about Bonner getting playing time.

yavozerb
10-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Bonner for 3 yrs wearing a spurs jersey, you gotta love that!!!

Solid D
10-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Don't worry about me, worry about Bonner getting playing time.

The top playing time for the Spurs thusfar is:
1. Manu Ginobili 25.0 minutes/game
2. Matt Bonner 22.0 minutes/game

raspsa
10-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Bonner = Crazy White Boy Energy
just what the Spurs need off the bench from time to time

T Park
10-18-2007, 01:54 AM
They didn't have to spend it dickhead.

so sign no one.

Wow, your takes get better by the day shawty.

BeerIsGood!
10-18-2007, 02:45 AM
Bonner will be the first Bonner. Whatever the hell that turns out to be.

SequSpur
10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
The top playing time for the Spurs thusfar is:
1. Manu Ginobili 25.0 minutes/game
2. Matt Bonner 22.0 minutes/game

preseason.................

TwoHandJam
10-18-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm on record to say that I think Bonner will surprise a lot of doubters this year. He was on track to be our best backup big in a long time last year before he went down. I can see him averaging 10 and 7 this year while bringing some much needed energy off the bench.

He has a great work ethic, plays hard and should only get better with more years in the system. His role reminds me a lot of what Danny Ferry used to do for us except he's much younger and should put up better numbers.

No, he'll never replace what Horry gives us but then again, who can? Cut the kid a break. 3M for a dependable big that's young and who never takes a possession off will look like a steal in time.