PDA

View Full Version : Mark Stein talks Kobe and those lil' Mavericks

pussyface.
10-17-2007, 09:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=KobeTradestein

Kobe departure? This ride could make Laker faithful queasy
By Marc Stein

Kobe Responds To RumorsAfter the latest wild spin on the Kobe Coaster, another 24-hour scramble of disorienting turns and steep drops with No. 24, things were actually pretty clear at the end of the ride.

So clear that the end of the Kobe Bryant Era in Lakerland has never seemed closer.

The events of a zany Tuesday allowed for no other conclusion. You inevitably wondered, once your stomach settled, if the Lakers are going to have to live like this for the rest of Bryant's days in purple and gold, however many are left, with the smothering expectation that he's headed to the airport any minute.

It's difficult to believe otherwise when Kobe asks to skip his third successive practice to give his legs some rest … and is promptly asked by reporters if he thinks he's played his last game as a Laker.

It's especially difficult to imagine a different ending when the famously quotable and revealing Phil Jackson responds to almost every Kobe question he gets by saying he either can't comment or doesn't know the answer.

The Zen Master? At a loss for words? Dark days, indeed.

The Lakers, according to NBA front-office sources, have no looming intentions to initiate any Bryant trade discussions and would still prefer to hang onto to their most popular player since Magic Johnson. There is nonetheless a growing belief around the league that the proposals will be flooding in now and that Bryant will indeed be moved -- possibly even before the season starts -- after last week's admission from Lakers owner Jerry Buss that he "would certainly listen" to trade offers for Bryant in the wake of Kobe's loud declaration last May that he wants out … and Kobe's subsequent refusals to recant the request.

So edgy is Lakerland that Bryant, after dodging the media for a few days, was forced to address reports Tuesday that he has already cleaned out his locker at the team's practice facility. One team source insisted to ESPN.com that Bryant indeed removed his personal belongings, but Bryant and agent Rob Pelinka told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that Kobe had merely cleaned up his locker after Monday's practice, leaving plenty behind.

Yet such is the tension around the team now that Bryant can't sit out a practice without sparking an immediate panic that he's leaving for Chicago or Dallas, with multiple sources insisting that Bryant -- who possesses the league's only active no-trade clause -- lists the Mavericks as his No. 1 destination.

It's a tension Kobe created, of course, when he demanded a trade nearly five months ago with a slew of critical comments aimed at the organization that helped make him a worldwide brand and which backed him steadfastly through a sexual-assault trial in the 2003-04 season. But Buss' comments -- which Bryant admitted Tuesday "caught me off guard a little bit '' -- appear to have permanently changed the dynamic.

Those comments marked the first-ever acknowlegment from the Lakers of any openness to parting with Bryant, after months of scoffing at the mere suggestion.

Fears that Bryant might skip training camp or hold out for a time in an attempt to force the Lakers to move him proved unfounded. The 29-year-old reported for camp on time and with the apparent intention to put the turbulence of the offseason behind him, announcing that he was prepared to move forward with the only team he has ever played for. "Priority No. 1 for me," Kobe said on Oct. 1, "is to bring the title back here in Los Angeles."

The healing didn't even last 10 days, though. In that short span, Bryant's status was officially changed from the ultimate untouchable to stunningly available.

Jackson tried, in the wake of Buss' revelations, to remind us all that the owner's "initial statement was that we're not interested in trading Kobe Bryant." The coach, however, has since conceded that the resulting uncertainty has been a "distracting thing" for Bryant and the team and backed even further away from a hopeful tone when he met with L.A. reporters for a post-practice briefing Tuesday.

Asked if Bryant would play in Thursday's exhibition in Bakersfield against Seattle, Jackson said: "I can't comment on that."

Asked if Bryant would at least be with the team for that game, Jackson said: "I don't know about that, either."

Told that his no-comments could give the impression that a Bryant trade was imminent, Jackson said: "I can't comment on that. There's nothing imminent. So I can't comment on anything imminent."

Asked finally if he thinks Bryant has played his last game in purple and gold, Jackson said: "I can't comment on that. I don't know that at all. I mean, who knows that? Do you know it? We just can't comment on that. There's certain things I think that have to be discussed and will be and then we'll move forward from there."

Make that nervously forward … and headed for a Hollywood blockbuster (deal) that seems more inevitable than ever before.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

stretch
10-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Kobe, Get Your Ass To Dallas

Cuban, Make A Fuckin Move

CubanMustGo
10-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Kobe, Get Your Ass To Dallas

Cuban, Make A Fuckin Move

Like this (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=110~992~2006~841&teams=6~13~13~13&te=&cash=)?

Suggest something else the Lakers might go for if not. I doubt they'd go for this deal but it was the first one I came up with that worked.

Originally I had Harris in there instead of Diop but Harris has some sort of poison pill provision that kept it from working.

stretch
10-17-2007, 09:57 AM
How about this?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=110~1016~2982~181~3203~2006~84 1&teams=6~6~13~13~13~13~13&te=&cash=

Amarelooms
10-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Like this (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=110~992~2006~841&teams=6~13~13~13&te=&cash=)?

Suggest something else the Lakers might go for if not. I doubt they'd go for this deal but it was the first one I came up with that worked.

Originally I had Harris in there instead of Diop but Harris has some sort of poison pill provision that kept it from working.

You think the Mavs would give up Terry, Harris and Howard for Kobe? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....pass that shit :elephant

Medvedenko
10-17-2007, 12:07 PM
If the mavs want to get by the first round they should....

Amarelooms
10-17-2007, 12:14 PM

HAHAHAHAHAH....keep dreaming....Mavs not gonna give up both Terry and Harris only one :elephant

Amarelooms
10-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Also btw what has Kobe done without Shaq? And for your info the Mavs have been past the first round recently unlike the Fakers :elephant

Medvedenko
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, the mavs are a better team...never once denied that. If you comparing talent though, Howard, Devin, and Jason are equal to what Kobe brings. Will a duo of Dirk and Kobe be good enough...only you my friend Amarelooms can tell. You have the gift.

mavsfan1000
10-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, the mavs are a better team...never once denied that. If you comparing talent though, Howard, Devin, and Jason are equal to what Kobe brings. Will a duo of Dirk and Kobe be good enough...only you my friend Amarelooms can tell. You have the gift.
No way. That is too much to give up. Dallas is not trading 3 of their 4 best players for Kobe.

CubanMustGo
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
No way. That is too much to give up. Dallas is not trading 3 of their 4 best players for Kobe.

Fine - then Dallas ain't getting Kobe, plain and simple.

Humble Billy Hayes
10-17-2007, 02:07 PM
I'd do Howard+Terry+Diop+picks for Kobe.

Supergirl
10-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Lakers would be crazy to let Kobe go for anything less than Nowitzki.

Xylus
10-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Kobe for Nowitzki, straight up, makes Dallas worse and Los Angeles better.

Findog
10-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Lakers would be crazy to let Kobe go for anything less than Nowitzki.

Dallas would be crazy to do that swap as well. It's Dirk and Kobe or no deal. We're not the franchise with crazy internal politics and a petulant superstar able to opt out in two years. That's their fucking problem, not ours.

jmard5
10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Fine - then Dallas ain't getting Kobe, plain and simple.

Exactly.

lurker
10-17-2007, 04:17 PM
That's a bold prediction, Woody.

The Franchise
10-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Kobe for Nowitzki, straight up, makes Dallas worse and Los Angeles better.
Please explain how.

ludda
10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I dont think Kobe's going to Dallas unless Dirks there. I don't see him risking going to anything but a top contender AFTER the trade. Plus Lakers would be worse with Dirk and I don't think anyone wants him there in LA. And Kobe on mavs....questionable, they lose some of the mismatches due to Dirk. Either way, I don't see Dirk leaving the mavs. And Chicago seems like they're not giving up Deng, so essentially it could come down to Gordon, Thomas etc vs Howard, Terry etc.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Please explain how.
Kobe needs a hell of a lot more talent around him to do well than Dirk does.

Roxsfan
10-20-2007, 01:35 AM
http://mvn.com/nba-mavericks/

ludda
10-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Yeah I saw that ^...won't believe it till it happens. Don't think Buss is that stupid..or Cuban for holding out. As of today, Cuban was still saying he hasn't talked to Buss yet, who knows what's more full of shit.

Shank
10-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, my 'unidentified source' says they're going to pursue it pretty heavily and that 'no player is off-limits'. But that doesn't necessarily mean they offered up Dirk. They know that Kobe won't come to Dallas if Dirk isn't here as well. And my person also says it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when' Kobe is a Maverick.

exstatic
10-20-2007, 10:37 AM
PLEASE trade for Kobe. The play that killed the Spurs over and over in 2006 was Dirk at the top of the key. Howard was willing to play second banana and let that happen and play off it. Kobe never will. He'll turn Dirk into a glorified version of Radmanovic.

Dallas would be crazy to do that swap as well. It's Dirk and Kobe or no deal. We're not the franchise with crazy internal politics and a petulant superstar able to opt out in two years.
You will be...

Humble Billy Hayes
10-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Let's Go Mavs!
Let's Go Mavs!
Let's Go Mavs!
Let's Go Mavs!
Let's Go Mavs!
Let's Go Mavs!
Let's Go Mavs!

Kobe Bryant, twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo shots.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-20-2007, 12:06 PM
LOL that's a bad troll.

Findog
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
PLEASE trade for Kobe. The play that killed the Spurs over and over in 2006 was Dirk at the top of the key. Howard was willing to play second banana and let that happen and play off it. Kobe never will. He'll turn Dirk into a glorified version of Radmanovic.

You will be...

Well, Shank has a pretty good track record for these sorts of things, but I'll believe Kobe is a Mav when I see it.

monosylab1k
10-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Well, my 'unidentified source' says they're going to pursue it pretty heavily and that 'no player is off-limits'. But that doesn't necessarily mean they offered up Dirk. They know that Kobe won't come to Dallas if Dirk isn't here as well. And my person also says it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when' Kobe is a Maverick.
Shank, is there anything new on the Kobe front?

Findog
10-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Shank, is there anything new on the Kobe front?

You probably don't put any stock in anything Vecsey says, but FWIW, he says a Kobe to Dallas deal is unlikely:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/lmf/vpost?id=2251150

And I'll repeat what I said there: if it's going to happen, for the Mavs anyway, I would think it's now or never. If they trade for Kobe at the deadline, two months is not enough time to develop on-court chemistry for facing Phoenix or San Antonio. You want Kobe to have 82 games here.

"That would not make us any better than they are and would remove two very viable young guys for an older guy with a ridiculous contract and a stained rep," a Mavs official patiently explained. "We won 67 games and got to within two wins of a title without Kobe. That would leave us with no more stuff than he has to work with now and he can't get them past the sixth rung on the Western ladder."

monosylab1k
10-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm getting to be more okay with just rolling with the team we've got, but I hate hearing that shit from Mavs official, whoever he is, that's towing the company line.

How many years in a row will the Mavericks run into a "hot team" in the playoffs before they do something about it?

And seriously, how the fuck do you compare Howard/Terry to Kobe? Saying that trade makes us no better than the Lakers is the most ridiculous homer bullshit I've ever heard in my life.