PDA

View Full Version : Callahan done before this weekend?

MajorMike
10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
I have heard rumint that Callahan, Cosgrove, Elmassian, and Wagner were all asked to resign over the weekend, again yesterday and flatly refused, seeking not only the buyouts to which they’d be contractually entitled if fired, but actually seeking sweetened deals to get the hell out of Dodge. NU is working on a package whereby they would "resign", rather than be fired by Tom or Perlman.

There is a strong possibility that these four will be dismissed very soon. The interim plan has Shawn Watson as Offensive Coordinator, Bill Busch as Defensive Coordinator, and none other than CHARLIE MCBRIDE as interim Head Coach! Word is that George Darlington and Milt Tenopir might come on board on an interim basis, as well.

The remaining assistants: Gilmore, Rudolph, and Wyatt, along with Watson and Busch, would have opportunities for retention under a new Head Coach.

One of the goals is to identify which recruits would be retained, so that any defections could be replaced well ahead of signing day, in order to salvage the 2007 class.

Osborne apparently agreed to these plans in principle even before being named Athletic Director, and it could go down almost immediately, or could happen after Saturday's game.

Another notable tidbit:

Bo Pelini HAS been in contact with Osborne regarding the Head Coach position, and is VERY interested. He has reiterated his admiration of Marvin Sanders as a candidate for Defensive Coordinator.

Just what I heard, anyway.

K-State Spur
10-17-2007, 11:39 PM
I saw that post too. Doesn't make any sense though. Putting McBride in at this point would just be tanking the rest of the season (does anybody remember that they basically ran him out of town a few years ago?). Right now, they still have a decent shot at a bowl game.

The only reason to do that would be that enough boosters are threatening to withhold funds if Callahan isn't removed immediately.

Anyhow, looks doubtful:

"Current Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan, Tom Osborne said, will not be fired. He and his staff will instead be judged over the rest of the year. "They will not be evaluated in a serious manner until the end of the season," he said. "They're right in the middle of it right now." In the meantime, he'll try to get to know Callahan better. Their conversations have been few: One, when Callahan took over in 2004, and one last Friday, before NU's 45-14 loss to Oklahoma State. Callahan's a decent guy, Osborne said. Pleasant to talk to. He and his staff seem to know football. "If they want me to come to practice" he said, "I'll come to practice. If they want me to come to meetings, I'll do that. If they want me to stay away, I'll stay away...you give somebody a job to do, you let them do it." Osborne mentioned wanting a team that played with "the intensity level we've become accustomed to" during his press conference, but little else. When asked for his opinion of Callahan West Coast Offense, Osborne chuckled a little, then said seriously, "I'm not going to micromanage." -- Nebraska State Paper"

SrA Husker
10-18-2007, 06:55 AM
This is balony.... and you need to look no further than the Charlie McBride mention.

word
10-21-2007, 12:16 AM
He should be but he did give us one of the classic moments in CFB at Norman in 2004 when OU fans were pelting him and his team with oranges and he was yelling, 'Fuck you fuckin' hicks...'

Of course, I'm sure every Sooner fan would like those oranges back and just pretend that season never happened. 55-19