PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reports Torre back, CBS says he's gone....

florige
10-18-2007, 03:09 PM
thats a first.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/

Torre turns down offer to return as Yanks' skipper
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 18, 2007, 4:11 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
TAMPA, Fla. -- Joe Torre turned down the New York Yankees' offer to return as manager on Thursday.

The Yankees offered Torre a one-year deal with a base salary of $5 million and incentives that would have increased his salary to $8 million based on postseason performance. Under that offer, if Torre reached the World Series in 2008, an option for 2009 would have vested.

SAtown
10-18-2007, 03:10 PM
ESPN Outside the Lines says that Joe Torre turns down NYY offer.

florige
10-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I just saw it on Fox too. He is done in NY.

JMarkJohns
10-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I think he knows that a run with this team is futile. Many are saying he did his best managing job this past season. If you aren't going to win another title, just go out on that note of praise...

samikeyp
10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3069115

T Park
10-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Joe Girardi, come on down....

Spurminator
10-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Awesome, now during the World Series the lead story can be "Who are the Yankees going to hire???"

They had fucking Gammons AND Kurkchjkchjin on location to discuss the news.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Did you expect anything less, Spurm?

Spurminator
10-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Not really

ducks
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
atleast they did not announce this during the ws

peewee's lovechild
10-18-2007, 07:43 PM
They're gonna want La Russa.

Fuck!!!

What the fuck were they thinking offering a one year contract!!!

K-State Spur
10-18-2007, 07:51 PM
They're gonna want La Russa.

Fuck!!!

What the fuck were they thinking offering a one year contract!!!

Exactly what they wanted. They get to hire some new blood, but 'save face' by not firing (and not NOT extending) the most popular Yankee manager since Casey Stengel.

peewee's lovechild
10-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Exactly what they wanted. They get to hire some new blood, but 'save face' by not firing (and not NOT extending) the most popular Yankee manager since Casey Stengel.

This is going to be a big mistake.

Kriz-Maxima
10-18-2007, 08:09 PM
I'll miss seeing Joe in the dugout.

exstatic
10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah, Steinbrenner played it perfectly from a business standpoint by giving him what appeared on the surface to be a good offer, but was actually a 33% pay cut and a total slap in the face. I wonder how many of the Yankees will leave now?

I think the Yanks may pursue LaRussa, but it would be a horrible fit. He's too high strung to manage for George. Torre succeeded because he let most of the hateful shit that George always spews roll right off his back. That isn't in LaRussa's nature.

BeerIsGood!
10-18-2007, 08:59 PM
I hope they hire LaRussa. After a few cocktails and a couple of rounds of big George's bitching maybe he'll go postal on the old fucker. If the east coast biased sports media is going to talk about nothing but Yankees anyway, the fucking Yankees could at least give us some entertainment.

K-State Spur
10-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't agree that it was a slap in the face. The paycut still would leave him as the highest paid manager in baseball (tied with Piniella).

exstatic
10-19-2007, 12:18 AM
I don't agree that it was a slap in the face. The paycut still would leave him as the highest paid manager in baseball (tied with Piniella).
Your boss comes in tommorrow and tells you you'll be working for 33% less from now on. Do you tell him to fuck himself, even if you're still the highest paid employee?

This was an offer the Yanks knew Torre would turn down, and it saved them from firing him. Goerge spouted off that he wouldn't be back if they lost the series, then they offer him a 33% paycut. Do the math. They didn't want him back, but didn't want to fire him, so they did this instead.

Jimcs50
10-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Your boss comes in tommorrow and tells you you'll be working for 33% less from now on. Do you tell him to fuck himself, even if you're still the highest paid employee?

This was an offer the Yanks knew Torre would turn down, and it saved them from firing him. Goerge spouted off that he wouldn't be back if they lost the series, then they offer him a 33% paycut. Do the math. They didn't want him back, but didn't want to fire him, so they did this instead.

Classless move by the Yankees. I hope this turns their free agents against them.

BeerIsGood!
10-19-2007, 08:54 AM

In all fairness, if Torre led the Yanks to the title this season he would have asked for a good sized raise. Since he hasn't won jack or shit in 7 years I have no problem with the Yankees offering less on a new contract. I also don't blame Torre for turning it down and looking elsewhere.

K-State Spur
10-19-2007, 10:01 AM
.Do you tell him to fuck himself, even if you're still the highest paid employee?.

Nope, sure don't. An employee's value is what it is. On the open market, highly doubtful that ANYBODY is going to pay Torre 7 million/year. So for the MFYs to continue to pay him a salary well above market value is both bad business and bad economics.

Now, I don't blame Torre a bit for walking (and I do believe that's what the Yanks hoped he would do). But they still offered him a chance to return as the highest paid manager in the game.

Neither the offer nor Torre's refusal to accept were offensive. Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean that there has to be a bad guy in the negotiation (and this is from a guy who loathes the MFYs).

Spurminator
10-19-2007, 10:07 AM
I'd be less concerned about the paycut and more concerned about how my boss publically flaunted the fact that he could fire me if he wanted to, and was considering it, for the last five seasons. No job or salary is worth that kind of disrespect.

K-State Spur
10-19-2007, 10:17 AM
That's a whole different issue. And one that I semi-agree with you on. (Although the salary obviously was worth the disrespect, nobody was holding a gun to Torre's head forcing him to return year after year).

In addition, when you ask for pay raises that eventually lead you to being paid twice as much as anybody else in your field, you can't act surprised when unreasonable demands are made upon you - often publicly.

ducks
10-19-2007, 11:27 AM
be instersting if he gets an offer for another team ho much it is

ducks
10-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, Steinbrenner played it perfectly from a business standpoint by giving him what appeared on the surface to be a good offer, but was actually a 33% pay cut and a total slap in the face. I wonder how many of the Yankees will leave now?

I think the Yanks may pursue LaRussa, but it would be a horrible fit. He's too high strung to manage for George. Torre succeeded because he let most of the hateful shit that George always spews roll right off his back. That isn't in LaRussa's nature.

well the players have not gotten it done either a few indians instead of chiefs might get the job done

dbreiden83080
10-20-2007, 06:13 PM
In all fairness, if Torre led the Yanks to the title this season he would have asked for a good sized raise. Since he hasn't won jack or shit in 7 years I have no problem with the Yankees offering less on a new contract. I also don't blame Torre for turning it down and looking elsewhere.

He has not won anything in 7 years. They have won 2 pennants and been in the playoffs every year since they won the WS in 2000. People go on and on about the Yankee payroll well break that down and really take a look at some of the overpaid crap that is on that team. Jason Giambi is who AWFUL ever since they started testing for steroids made 24 mil this year, 24 MIL!!! They paid crazy money to guys like Carl Pavano and Kae Igawa, Kyle Farnswoth to give them nothing at all in the starting staff or the bullpen just to name a few. It is not Joe's fault that the Yanks have overpaid for a number of BUMS and sent the payroll through the roof so that everyone says they have to win the whole thing or the year is a bust.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c39215b8f3910115ba59668e0048

K-State Spur
10-21-2007, 10:16 PM

that was great. they need to do some new episodes so that my last memory of the ATHF is not that crappy movie.

dbreiden83080
10-22-2007, 02:11 PM

LOL he called the Diamonbacks the "Douchebacks" that is flippin hilarious. :lol