PDA

View Full Version : Jeff McDonald: The trouble with Darius

Bruno
10-19-2007, 05:13 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2007/10/jeff_mcdonald_t_2.html

Weblogs
Courtside
October 19, 2007

Darius Washington was the undisputed star of the Spurs' 116-111 victory over Golden State on Thursday night. Earning an unexpected start that was a surprise even to him, Washington scored a team-best 18 points. He doled out eight assists. He grabbed nine rebounds, a startling number for a 6-1 point guard. He nearly had a triple double.

And he did it all against a Golden State team that played a good number of real, live NBA players for a significant amount of minutes.

Added up, here's what it means for Washington: When the Spurs wind up having to waive him, they're going to feel awfully bad about it.

Make no mistake: Spurs coaches love the guy. Gregg Popovich believes Washington, the former undrafted free agent out of Memphis, has an NBA career ahead of him.

It just isn't likely to be with the Spurs. At least not right now.

There is a harsh reality at work in Spurs camp. We don't call it Camp Status Quo for nothing. The Spurs have the maximum 15 players under contract, including three point guards. They aren't likely to keep a fourth.

"The numbers aren't in anyone's favor here," Popovich said after Friday's practice.

Unless, of course, you're one of the 15. Washington is not. He can have four more preseason nights like he did against Golden State. It still won't matter. It still won't change the math.

It's a shame. But it's also reality.

"His future is probably a bright one, but when he'll be ready to really appreciate what he can do and have it appreciated by another team is another question," Popovich said.

It's the question Washington will probably be asking himself, someday soon. The Spurs have until Oct. 29 to pare their roster to 15 players.

ShoogarBear
10-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Cut Beno!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darkwaters
10-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Again I must ask...why does Beno draw a paycheck?

timvp
10-19-2007, 05:19 PM
First of all, McDonald needs to work on his blog titles. This is worse than that one about kittens.

Second of all, I wouldn't be surprised if Washington were to be waived. Beno's contract could and should be eaten ... but Holt is already over the lux threshold and probably won't sign off for going even higher over the threshold. Williams pretty much sucks but the Spurs used a relatively high draft pick on him.

Washington probably has a brighter NBA future than Beno or Williams but he's caught in a numbers game. Sucks ... yet expected.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Tisk.

SequSpur
10-19-2007, 05:28 PM
if washington has another game or two like last night, the Spurs have to keep him... shit, I am quite sure Duncan, Parker and Ginobili will sell Beno's ass in the parking lot just to keep him....

Mr. Body
10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure anyone really thought the Spurs would cut Beno for a better player.

E20
10-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Beno pisses me the fuck off.

whottt
10-19-2007, 05:55 PM
First of all, McDonald needs to work on his blog titles. This is worse than that one about kittens.

Never seen the sound of music? I mean the movie...not actually the sound of music?

Second of all, I wouldn't be surprised if Washington were to be waived. Beno's contract could and should be eaten ... but Holt is already over the lux threshold and probably won't sign off for going even higher over the threshold. Williams pretty much sucks but the Spurs used a relatively high draft pick on him.

I could have sworn there was an article earlier this week that Williams' deal isn't guranteed...

Washington probably has a brighter NBA future than Beno or Williams but he's caught in a numbers game. Sucks ... yet expected.

Not by me it isn't....

I call this BS.

How can they not want to be rid of Beno?

How can they not want this guy instead?

Maybe this is one of those times where the SA Faithful need to step up and get one of those call in movements going....

Hey...it got AJ's jersey retired...it can damn sure keep this kid on the roster....and Beno off it.

Pop needs our help. And this article is a plea for it....

FromWayDowntown
10-19-2007, 05:59 PM
if washington has another game or two like last night, the Spurs have to keep him... shit, I am quite sure Duncan, Parker and Ginobili will sell Beno's ass in the parking lot just to keep him....

Once upon a time, the Spurs waived Raja Bell, an undrafted FA, to (in essence) keep Derrick Dial, a prior year's 2nd round pick.

Just saying . . . .

Obstructed_View
10-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure anyone really thought the Spurs would cut Beno for a better player.

I'm not sure anyone really thinks the Spurs would admit their mistakes and cut their losses before it's too late. Next thing they'll be signing Marcus to a 2 year contract.

Mr. Body
10-19-2007, 06:11 PM
As said elsewhere, the Spurs have no idea what a sunk cost is.

SenorSpur
10-19-2007, 06:56 PM
It may be called Camp Status Quo, but this decision should be anything but. R.C and Pop have faced tough roster decisions before. They didn't mind "biting the bullet" and getting rid of Butler. In fact, they cut bait within him after 1 year.

Screw the math. This is an easy decision. You don't turn loose a player for which you have an obvious need. You keep improving your team by developing your roster. Sometimes that means churning the end of your bench.

Washington is the obvious choice here. Beno is a piece of shit and doesn't deserve a roster spot. I don't give a shit about his contract.

exstatic
10-19-2007, 07:08 PM
My brakes just might fail if I saw Beno in a crosswalk.

Yogi
10-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Can't we get Don Harris and his callers on this? It worked on saving Avery's jersey number, surely it can save a personnel blunder....

BeerIsGood!
10-19-2007, 07:21 PM
It's a money issue and Beno's money is guaranteed. Holt won't pay Beno to go away, even if it means bringing in a young, hungry kid who has a much better mentality. You'd think they would learn from the Dial situation, but obviously the 1 to 2 million just isn't worth it to the Spurs.

barbacoataco
10-19-2007, 07:32 PM
So the only way to sign Washington is: 1. Waive Beno 2. Cut Williams 3. trade Beno and Barry in a 2 for 1 to open a roster spot.
Are there any other options?

SenorSpur
10-19-2007, 07:32 PM
It's a money issue and Beno's money is guaranteed. Holt won't pay Beno to go away, even if it means bringing in a young, hungry kid who has a much better mentality. You'd think they would learn from the Dial situation, but obviously the 1 to 2 million just isn't worth it to the Spurs.

The Spurs will live to regret this situation - especially when they see Washington thriving on another team.

BTW, what happened with the Dial situation?

barbacoataco
10-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Also, does ayone know how much it would cost the Spurs to waive Beno and sign Washington to a cheap contract? What would be the financial aspects of that move?

Mr. Body
10-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Also, does ayone know how much it would cost the Spurs to waive Beno and sign Washington to a cheap contract? What would be the financial aspects of that move?

Same as it is currently + Washington's small salary.

That's what's stupid about the whole thing. They're not going to get anything out of Udrih and his salary's already paid. So why block the spot?

SenorSpur
10-19-2007, 07:54 PM
The Spurs better get their "head out of their asses" and look at the bigger picture.

In reality, there is no plausible long-term backup to TP. Vaughn is serviceable for about the next 1-2 seasons. Just enough time for this Washington kid, if he was on the roster and continues to develop, could then perhaps become the primary backup PG. Think how much better this kid would be after 1 year in the system combined with his current skill set and desire.

It's really hard to believe they've waisted this much time and $$$ on Beno's ass. However as it stands, the Spurs have no REAL answer at the backup PG position after next season.

barbacoataco
10-19-2007, 08:27 PM
I agree with that last post. Although Vaughn did a good enough job last year, he is getting up there in age and could easily have injury issues this season. Then what? You have a demoralized Beno who hasn't played in a long time. I guess they could also use Barry/Ginobili as backup PG for awhile. And it is also true that not many teams have a 3rd string PG who is worth much. So maybe we're just being picky.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-19-2007, 08:54 PM
What about paying Seattle to take Beno and getting a trade exception in return?

A young point to learn from TP/JV and take over from Vaughn in a year or two is EXACTLY what we need to be developing!!!

Damn you Beno!!! :pctoss

Russ
10-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Lots of teams would like Beno as a backup pg. Why he Spurs haven't traded him, I don't know. It's like the Scola situation -- you have a player that has market value but you can't seem to realize that value for whatever reason.

At least if they want to trade Beno, they don't have the incomparable Jackie Butler as an albatross around his neck.

Extra Stout
10-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Are we sure Beno has any market value? Why would teams take possibly the worst player in the NBA off the Spurs' hands, so that the Spurs can fill the roster spot with a better player?

Why would any team want Beno as a backup PG? Is there some huge pent-up demand for lazy point guards who turn the ball over every time they see pressure?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Lots of teams would like Beno as a backup pg.
Name 3

Russ
10-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Boston, the Lakers, the Clippers . . . (and those are just the big market ones) :)

Mr. Body
10-19-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't think Beno has any trade value whatsoever.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-19-2007, 09:50 PM
My brakes just might fail if I saw Beno in a crosswalk.
:lmao

T Park
10-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Ex in the lead for post of the year :lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Boston,

They got Rondo, and they have Pruitt to develop. Doesn't make much sense to put Beno in there. Especially since Beno isn't going to be doing any scoring on that team and his passing ability isn't much to brag about: 1.7asts to 13 minutes ratio.

the Lakers,

They got Farmar, Fisher, and Crittenton. No room there.

the Clippers . . . (and those are just the big market ones) :)

They have Knight, Cassell, Dickau, and Diaz. They need help with 3-point shooting, but Beno shot only 28.7% last year. Which is very similar to those whom the Clippers already have, so he doesn't help much there either.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2007, 11:08 PM
:lol @ beno trade value.

BeerIsGood!
10-19-2007, 11:28 PM
The salary cap hit would be double whatever salary the Spurs give Washington since they are over the cap. Washington would sign for the min, so the financial hit would be somewhere between 1.5 and 2 mil. If Pop is as high on Washington as he says, I can't believe he wouldn't talk Holt into taking that minuscule hit to rid themselves of a lazy idiot and gain a young player with potential. Maybe Pop doesn't see Washington as having much potential?

Holt's Cat
10-20-2007, 12:11 AM
I can't wait until the Spurs lose more talent for $!!!!!!1111

wildbill2u
10-20-2007, 09:49 AM
I love it when guys who probably don't have $50 in their jeans (combined) start talking about how easy it would be to take a hit for a million or two.

Thompson
10-20-2007, 10:18 AM
I love it when guys who probably don't have $50 in their jeans (combined) start talking about how easy it would be to take a hit for a million or two.

When you're worth $120 million (or whatever - more money than you'll ever be able to spend) and the $2 million might even help your franchise gain more value in return than you're investing... yeah, it's pretty easy.

I have $1200 in the bank, which is certainly not nearly as much as I'll need in life, but I'd willingly donate $20 if they'd drop Beno and sign Darius (if they think Darius has potential).

K-State Spur
10-20-2007, 11:42 AM
As said elsewhere, the Spurs have no idea what a sunk cost is.

Most owners don't. The other half of that is "do the spurs believe beno is untradeable?" If they have don't think so, then it's not really a sunk cost.

But if they do believe that they can't move Beno's contract, then there is no logical reason - financially or basketball - to keep him. Sunk costs are sunk.

Indazone
10-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Can't trade Beno, what NBA team would want him? Besides, ya trade him ya get another player of equal value. Then you are stuck with the same problem, can't sign Washington cause no room on the roster. Only thing the Spurs can do here is to bite the bullet and waive the guy. Best possible scenario, Spurs trade him for cash. Likelyhood - near zero

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Best possible scenario is he is traded for an exception. Likelihood - eh, not much though Danny Ferry seems to like him and he does have the exception. Not a huge deal either way. We're talking about losing a 13th man to pick up a 14th man.

Mr. Body
10-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Why would anyone want Beno at this point? He's garbage.

The question is whether you just send him back to Slovenia or what. I guess you hold out hope some team loses all its point guards and needs a trade...

Darkwaters
10-20-2007, 03:50 PM
The day Beno is no longer a Spur (by whatever means) I seriously think there will be a parade in San Antonio. For all the hate that this guy has generated from his own fanbase, and as little he has contributed to the team, it's amazing to me that he still has a warm place on the bench?

Obstructed_View
10-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Why would anyone want Beno at this point?
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Beno is an expiring contract, and therefore has some value if the Spurs are willing to take on a contract and give up some cap room next year. That doesn't solve any problems aside from getting Beno out of town, and causes problems down the road.

They can't sign Washington and send him to Austin while they try to move Beno, can they?

Darkwaters
10-20-2007, 04:00 PM
They can't sign Washington and send him to Austin while they try to move Beno, can they?

Well, they have 18 players under contract now but on the 29th they will have to be at 15 or fewer. That means trading or waiving players to get to that point.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned in a while is that we could try and swing that infamous 2 for 1, Barry/Beno trade. A pair of expirings would have significant value indeed. And it would allow us to free up a roster spot while also getting a desirable player.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 04:03 PM
They can't sign Washington and send him to Austin while they try to move Beno, can they?Only if they waive Williams.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Only if they waive Williams.
Which works for me. The pick was wasted on draft day; there's no point in prolonging the agony.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Eh, Williams is 20. Can't completely write him off anymore than I can coronate Washington.

Darkwaters
10-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Eh, Williams is 20. Can't completely write him off anymore than I can coronate Washington.

Marcus Williams is a long term project. And while I think we could have drafted MUCH better at the 33 spot, Williams is what we ended up with. I think the sentiments about Marcus would be much different if we had simply picked him up out of training camp as an undrafted FA and not drafted the guy too high in a deep draft. People would probably be fairly excited about the guy and willing to pay him bottom dollar for him to sit on the IR and develop had he been acquired by another means. While I feel that Williams was an inferior draft choice to many of the passed on available players, I also feel that he is superior to many of the idle free agents out there (speaking purely on unrealized potential). He is not a bad project in that he shows potential in areas of significance (defense) and would fill a position of future need (the wing).

However, while the wing positions are a ticking and aging timebomb, the truth remains that our reserve PG bomb has already detonated. I cannot say whether or not Washington or Williams will be a better longterm project. Both have shown mixed results in limited minutes. And while Darius has had one phenomenal game, he has done little to suggest that he can consistently give such an effort. And while Williams was arguably only the 9th or 10th best player on our summer league team, he has shown a similar willingness to learn through his tenacity in the gym and consistent effort. However, Washington fills a position of more immediate need, since only one of those two timebombs have actually gone off, and therefore should be the priority.

Unfortunately, Williams is unlikely to be waived for a number of reasons. The first and most prominent of which being two-fold in that he is a Spurs draft and the embodiment of Buford's ego. Williams is going nowhere.

This is the reason that Spurs fans are so upset. This disdainful situation could be resolved were it not for Holt's cheapness, Buford's ego or Udrih's slothful disposition to his job. It simply drives me nuts that were it not for all 3 of these positions being in place we could have our cake and eat it too.

T Park
10-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Eh, Williams is 20. Can't completely write him off anymore than I can coronate Washington

completely agree :tu

yavozerb
10-20-2007, 04:39 PM
If the spurs did not own a D-league team I would say get rid of him, but, this is the whole reason for the purchase is to develop talent and not compete with other teams over free agent players.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Marcus Williams is a long term project. And while I think we could have drafted MUCH better at the 33 spot, Williams is what we ended up with. I think the sentiments about Marcus would be much different if we had simply picked him up out of training camp as an undrafted FA and not drafted the guy too high in a deep draft. People would probably be fairly excited about the guy and willing to pay him bottom dollar for him to sit on the IR and develop had he been acquired by another means. While I feel that Williams was an inferior draft choice to many of the passed on available players, I also feel that he is superior to many of the idle free agents out there (speaking purely on unrealized potential). He is not a bad project in that he shows potential in areas of significance (defense) and would fill a position of future need (the wing).

However, while the wing positions are a ticking and aging timebomb, the truth remains that our reserve PG bomb has already detonated. I cannot say whether or not Washington or Williams will be a better longterm project. Both have shown mixed results in limited minutes. And while Darius has had one phenomenal game, he has done little to suggest that he can consistently give such an effort. And while Williams was arguably only the 9th or 10th best player on our summer league team, he has shown a similar willingness to learn through his tenacity in the gym and consistent effort. However, Washington fills a position of more immediate need, since only one of those two timebombs have actually gone off, and therefore should be the priority.

Unfortunately, Williams is unlikely to be waived for a number of reasons. The first and most prominent of which being two-fold in that he is a Spurs draft and the embodiment of Buford's ego. Williams is going nowhere.

This is the reason that Spurs fans are so upset. This disdainful situation could be resolved were it not for Holt's cheapness, Buford's ego or Udrih's slothful disposition to his job. It simply drives me nuts that were it not for all 3 of these positions being in place we could have our cake and eat it too.That we write such treatises on IR players is a testament to how little is actually wrong with this team. If we think about the real talent level of the players involved and the other players out there that could easily replace them, it's not terribly critical.

But it makes for good arguments. :toast

T Park
10-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Chump were gonna have to have organized GTGs for Toros home games this year.

Heres to it :toast

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Then we can all post about about how whoever is playing the point there is better than Beno.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I'd agree with you if the Spurs didn't need a point guard way more than they need him. Having a guy who's too small to replace Bowen, who has a questionable jumper and no range, and can't handle the ball well enough to play point all points to a wasted pick IMO. At one point I'd hoped the Spurs were going to use him as a ball handler. It looks like they have no intention of doing that.

He's just as much a question as Washington, but Washington played better in one game than Williams has since being drafted, and he plays the one position where the Spurs are thin. It's a gamble to be sure, but if you gotta roll the dice on one or the other, I say they'd be insane to keep Williams.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 05:47 PM
He's at least the same size as Bowen, if not longer.

Manu just proved the need for the point is not as acute as some may think, to say nothing of Barry.

Again, in a perfect world Beno would just disappear and we would just keep both, but it's not that big a deal either way.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2007, 06:00 PM
He's at least the same size as Bowen, if not longer.
Williams is listed as 6'3". Bowen is listed as 6'7". That's not the same size, unless you meant Beno instead of Bowen. So WIlliams is an inch taller than Washington, if not longer.

Manu has always handled the ball in crunchtime, but he's not a point guard, nor is he going to be able to guard point guards all season long. You are also going to want Manu in the game WITH Parker at times, so having him running the point is a stopgap measure at best.

Gun to your head: Knowing what you know now, who do you want, Williams or Washington?

coopdogg3
10-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Williams is listed as 6'3". Bowen is listed as 6'7". That's not the same size, unless you meant Beno instead of Bowen. So WIlliams is an inch taller than Washington, if not longer.

Manu has always handled the ball in crunchtime, but he's not a point guard, nor is he going to be able to guard point guards all season long. You are also going to want Manu in the game WITH Parker at times, so having him running the point is a stopgap measure at best.

Gun to your head: Knowing what you know now, who do you want, Williams or Washington?

Williams is listed as 6' 7".

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=4311

itzsoweezee
10-20-2007, 07:52 PM
i hate the cheap fucking bastard that owns the spurs

don't own a sports team if you're going to be that cheap you pathetic piece of shit

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 07:56 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=4311Not standing next to one another, but an ok comparison on the extensions:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071019/capt.e1e8cd6e74334622b5d6e1c2b04bba4b.warriors_spu rs_basketball_txeg106.jpg

SenorSpur
10-20-2007, 08:13 PM
For developmental purposes, Spurs should keep both Williams and Washington.

Washington would likely "bear fruit" sooner than Williams.

They DO NOT NEED Beno

timmy21_4rings
10-20-2007, 08:22 PM

don't own a sports team if you're going to be that cheap you pathetic piece of shit

considering where Spurs is (SA), it is not no way cheap at all. Which other small market teams are over luxury threshold? which other small market team has 4 championships?

I do not remember any sports arena as empty as AT&T for the finals match.

I think they are doing right thing.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2007, 11:38 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=4311
There's two of them in the league, aren't there? Fuck.

Thank you. I've looked that up incorrectly a DOZEN times since the draft.

Okay, then he's got size, but he still can't shoot or play the point, right?

Obstructed_View
10-20-2007, 11:39 PM

Yeah, waste the fans' money, fail to turn a profit and let the team get relocated. Go Seattle Spurs.

Just root for the team and shut up. Everyone will be much happier.

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 01:22 AM
There's two of them in the league, aren't there? Fuck.

Thank you. I've looked that up incorrectly a DOZEN times since the draft.

Okay, then he's got size, but he still can't shoot or play the point, right?

If we had the 6'3 Marcus Williams instead of the 6'7 one then Darius Washington would be a moot point and Beno would be playing in Cleveland already. But the Nets' Marcus Williams has got 10 times the talent of the Spurs' Marcus Williams....and hes a PG.

inconvertible
10-21-2007, 10:48 PM
goodbye beno