PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Center or PF

melo061
10-19-2007, 08:07 PM
I want clarification on this.

Is duncan a center of a power forward? Where does he play the most?

SenorSpur
10-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Basically, he splits time at both positions.

He starts games at PF and usually ends them at center, in a lineup that usually features Big Shot Rob at PF.

duncan7721
10-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Pf

duncan228
10-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Basically, he splits time at both positions.

This is true.

Just be sure to always refer to Duncan as a Power Forward. It's what he wants to be called.
And what Duncan wants we give him. :)

barbacoataco
10-19-2007, 08:29 PM
The way he plays the game and the position he occupies on the court, to me he is a center. But if he wants to be a power forward it is fine.

timmy21_4rings
10-19-2007, 09:06 PM
NBA game has changed drastically since he enters the league. When he joined he was PF. Today's NBA does not have quality centers (Shaq is declining). Most of the players that play centers today are athletic PFs. Today Duncan is a center. But he wants to be called as PF. So I would call him as PF.

Also players change role during their career. Robert Horry started as guard, moved to SF and now plays PF. Sometimes center (!!!) when Horry, Finley, Bowen, Manu and Parker are in court. The label does not really matter

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Does it matter?

Hemotivo
10-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Pf

Indazone
10-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Yao is a quality Center. In fact, Yao is still ranked number one in the preseason power rankings. Is Duncan a center? ya he's a center. He shouldn't really be calling himself a PF just like Garnett shouldn't be calling himself a PF. Duncan is like Al Jefferson and Dwight Howard. Big go to guy in the middle ie CENTER

Hemotivo
10-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Center Oberto/Elson
PowerForward Duncan/Horry

Indazone
10-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Center Oberto/Elson
PowerForward Duncan/Horry

:lmao

Guess that should make Hakeem Olajuwan a PF too right?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-19-2007, 10:13 PM

That's just how it is on paper.

Oh yea Hemotivo, you forgot Bonner. :)

ElNono
10-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Why can't it be Center *AND* Power Forward... depending on who we are playing, what is the matchup, etc.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Why can't it be Center *AND* Power Forward... depending on who we are playing, what is the matchup, etc.
That is what Tim does, but apparently this topic is about what position is he on paper.

urunobili
10-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I want clarification on this.

Is duncan a center of a power forward? Where does he play the most?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79797

the answer to your question... he play both and changes all the time depending on his read of the defense as he plays the game.

mavsfan1000
10-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Whoever is the better player alongside Duncan whether it is at Center or Power Forward. He is a combo big man.

picnroll
10-19-2007, 11:07 PM

So if Olajuwan was a power forward who was the center? I guess since Scola is primarily a low post player he must be a center too.

lefty
10-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Duncan is the best combo big man of the history of the NBA

duncan228
10-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Duncan is the best.

Simplified for you! :)

lefty
10-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Simplified for you! :)

True to that ! :toast

wildbill2u
10-20-2007, 08:12 AM
He's started playing with his back to the basket (like a center) during a lot more of his minutes in the last few years. It became noticeable during the year that he had the plantar fasciatis (sp?) because he seldom faced the basket since he wasn't able to drive.

I noticed last year he was facing the basket more and the old bank shot was employed once again and he'd even drive to the basket occasionally from that position. I think it was because of the improvement of his feet.

MrChug
10-20-2007, 08:51 AM

:idiot

Hemotivo
10-20-2007, 09:18 AM
C Hakeem
PF Thorpe

exstatic
10-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Duncan can play center and do most of the things that centers can do, but most centers can't do what Duncan can do: shoot it from outside, using glass or not, or cross over his man going between the legs on a move to the basket.

The variety of his offense says PF very loudly. Unfortunately, most of the time, the Spurs need him in the post on offense, and that's what most people see.

spursfan09
10-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I think the NBA doesn't have thay many centers so to have Tim playing center for us gives us a big advantage over teams. But he can do alot more than what centers to do. He has alot more fundamentals. So he should be called a PF. Anyway no matter what postion he's at he's still alot better than what other teams have to offer.

Solid D
10-20-2007, 02:08 PM
As some others have said, he's a post player, 4 or 5.
Defensively he matches up on opposing 4s and 5s.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2007, 04:04 PM
If you start Horry or Finley (SB©) next to him, he's a 5. If you start Rasho or Nazr or Elson, he's a 4. If you start Oberto, you ask Duncan what he is and make sure everbody calls him that. If you call Duncan the starting point guard, does it make a difference? It's a judgment call in my opinion. Coaches may be requred to fill out lineup sheets, but I doubt there are positions listed for any reason aside from just keeping things organized.

SenorSpur
10-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Moses Malone was once a PF who converted over to center when he landed with the Rockets. He didn't mind being referred to as a center once he made the position change.

slayermin
10-21-2007, 04:06 AM
TD is a four but he can operate as a five. He can do everything a five does but he's a natural four.

duncan7721
10-21-2007, 04:41 AM
TD is a four but he can operate as a five. He can do everything a five does but he's a natural four.
Perfect. Totally agree with slayermin.

Reggie Miller
10-22-2007, 10:38 AM
My best guess is that Duncan wants to be listed as a PF for the following reasons:

1. As a PF, he is probably the best of all-time at the position. As a C, he would be compared to Chamberlain, etc.

2. Consistency in career stats. There is always some moron who will say "How can Duncan be the greatest PF of all-time when he played half of his career at C?"

I'm sure someone will object and say this is beneath Tim Duncan, but how else do you explain his personal insistence on this point?

LEN BIAS 4EVER
10-22-2007, 05:49 PM
I believe his offical position is:
"BAD ASS MOTHER Lebron James Rejecting, Phoenix Suns Dominating, Boston Celtics are still crying, 5 time NBA Title to San Antonio bringing FUCKER"

at least that's what Darryl Dawkins told me.

Solid D
10-22-2007, 06:09 PM
"There were eighteen in the class; I selected two captains and had them choose sides. When the teams were chosen, I placed the men on the floor. There were three forwards, three centers, and three backs on each team. I chose two of the center men to jump, then threw the ball between them. It was the start of the first basketball game and the finish of the trouble with that class." -
Dr. James Naismith, December 1891 recalling the very first basketball game in Springfield, MA.

...and thus, the first jump centers.

JamStone
10-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Duncan is a center who will go down historically as a power forward.

Offensively, the vast majority of his time is spent in the low-post. Not that he can't face-up or go high post, because obviously he is very capable of doing those as well, but he is predominantly a low post player on offense.

Defensively, he is adept at playing either power forward or center, but he's probably defended more at the power forward position over the course of his career.

I think if you wanted to get technical about it, he probably should go down as a center. But, I don't think it matters much.

Hemotivo
10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Tim Duncan historically played at PF

C Robinson
PF Duncan
----------
C Rasho
PF Duncan
----------
C Nazr
PF Duncan
----------
C Elson/Oberto
PF Duncan

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Just be sure to always refer to Duncan as a Power Forward. It's what he wants to be called.
And what Duncan wants we give him. :)

:lol Easy there, duncan228. This is a forum, not a cult. :p:

Solid D
10-22-2007, 09:09 PM
A lot of basketball offenses use the 4 and 5 the same way.

Look at most motion or transition schemes where the ball is evenly shared and the 4 and 5 positions are interchangeable. Popovich likes to have the first post player down the floor in transition set up low post and the trailing Big set up at the point or top of the key and then flow from there (i.e. Wildcat Transition). You probably have noticed this if you are a watching the game within the game at Spurs games. If nothing develops, the Spurs expect their Bigs to execute screen/rolls...especially late in the shot clock. Naturally, Tim is their best player so they want him to get plenty of touches but he is what he is, an all-time great post player.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 09:20 PM
:lol Easy there, duncan228. This is a forum, not a cult. :p:

Maybe a little bit of a cult... :)
And there are others on ST that may be brave enough to say they're members of that cult. :smokin

Duncan is that good.
He could deserve a cult following. :spin

duncan228
10-22-2007, 09:26 PM
My best guess is that Duncan wants to be listed as a PF for the following reasons:

1. As a PF, he is probably the best of all-time at the position. As a C, he would be compared to Chamberlain, etc.

2. Consistency in career stats. There is always some moron who will say "How can Duncan be the greatest PF of all-time when he played half of his career at C?"

I'm sure someone will object and say this is beneath Tim Duncan, but how else do you explain his personal insistence on this point?

I have this answer somewhere, in Duncan's own words. I'm not sure if I have it in my system or in hard copy.
I will see if I can find it in the next few days.

But there is a reason and it has nothing to do with personal accolades or how he'll go down in the record books.

Remember, he wanted to be Magic when he first started to play. IIRC, it has something to do with that, and his brother-in-law's teaching as he grew in height and ability through high school.

JamStone
10-22-2007, 09:49 PM
I know that the vast majority of Spurs fans want to stay true to their dogmatic beliefs that Tim Duncan is a completely selfless ego who has no desire to contemplate how his legacy is viewed. But, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has some egocentric ideas about themselves, especially when they are as great at something as Tim Duncan is at basketball.

Remember a few years after a season of being listed at 7-foot, Tim Duncan insisted that the NBA list back at 6-11 so that it made more sense that he'd be a power forward. Is that insistence at being listed 6-11 have anything to do with his brother-in-law's teaching or wanting to be Magic?

Come on. Everyone has a little bit of an ego. Even your precious Timmy.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I know that the vast majority of Spurs fans want to stay true to their dogmatic beliefs that Tim Duncan is a completely selfless ego who has no desire to contemplate how his legacy is viewed. But, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has some egocentric ideas about themselves, especially when they are as great at something as Tim Duncan is at basketball.

Remember a few years after a season of being listed at 7-foot, Tim Duncan insisted that the NBA list back at 6-11 so that it made more sense that he'd be a power forward. Is that insistence at being listed 6-11 have anything to do with his brother-in-law's teaching or wanting to be Magic?

Come on. Everyone has a little bit of an ego. Even your precious Timmy.

Duncan has an ego. Any player in the NBA has to have an ego to survive. (Personsal opinion.) I would imagine with as good a game as Duncan has, with being the most decorated active player, that his ego is enourmous.

I went through his height arguement a while ago in the Hakeem/Duncan thread.
The Spurs listed Duncan as 7 feet to play the "Twin Towers" angle up in marketing.
When Robinson retired Duncan asked that they list him at his true height.
In the Hakeem thread are links that relate that story, I'm too tired to search now. If those links aren't enough I have more that tell the same version of his height "change."

Pop has said that Duncan wants to be called a Power Foward and that's what Pop calls him.
I don't think it matters what we call him. He plays under the basket. He plays where he needs to be.
Fuck, he's brought the ball up on occasion. (Not pretty.)

Whatever he's called, however he's written up in the history books, he is and will always be one of the best this game has seen.
That's enough for me.