PDA

View Full Version : Isiah out...Carlslie in?

Pooh
08-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Thomas fired by Pacers

By David Lewandowski
[email protected]
August 27, 2003

Isiah Thomas, who led the Indiana Pacers to three consecutive playoff appearances, will not return for a fourth year.

His contract, which had one year remaining, will be honored, the team announced today.

“We have decided to go in a different direction,” said Pacers president and CEO Donnie Walsh.

“When I hired Isiah (in 2000), I thought he was the right man for the job at the time and he was. But as our team has evolved, the decision was made that it’s time to go in a different direction. We appreciate what Isiah has done in his three seasons here.”

Walsh said a search for a replacement has already begun.

“When I was hired (July 11) I told Donnie I wanted to take my time this summer to see how things were with the team going into this season and the future,” said president of basketball operations Larry Bird. “After looking at film, seeing how things were and evaluating the basketball operations, I detected the team’s chemistry wasn’t what it should be.

"Donnie and I decided that a change was necessary and a fresh start was important. It's not a reflection on Isiah’s job here, but more of an indication of where we want to go in the future,” Bird said.

Thomas became coach of the Pacers in July 2000 after Bird fulfilled his three-year contract as coach.

In those three years, Thomas’ record as head coach was 131-115 (.532). The Pacers made the playoffs in each of those three seasons, but did not advance past the first round.

Note: Rick Carlsle is rumored to be taking Isiah's place.

pacers4ever
08-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Big Mistake.

I think Isiah deserves at least 1 more year.

The total collapse of last year wasnt entirely his fault. There were a lot of other factors, like Artest's problems and injuries that caused the team to fall apart.

Isiah showed signs of coaching maturity at the beginning of last season. Sure, he did mistakes, and yes..in the playoffs he wasnt a very good in-game coach.. but i believe he was able to make the team grow and play in a nice way. Too bad we lost him!

The best player on the team made it clear that he wants Isiah to stay. Yes, i'm talking about Jermaine O'neal. We'll see how his reaction will be!

They better bring Carlisle right away; that's our only hope.