PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Popovich enjoys a unique vantage point

Spurs Brazil
10-20-2007, 07:35 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102007.06C.BKNspurs.popovich.35a0229.html

Spurs notebook: Popovich enjoys a unique vantage point

Web Posted: 10/19/2007 11:34 PM CDT

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't have to worry about getting ejected from any games during the regular season. Lead assistant Mike Budenholzer's performance against Golden State on Thursday — leading the Spurs to a 116-111 victory without seven veterans in the lineup — proved he was more than capable of taking over for Popovich in a pinch.
Of course, this was not news to Popovich.

"I already felt good about Mike Bud even before (Thursday) night," Popovich said.

Hoping to give his new lead assistant a feel for flying solo on the sidelines, Popovich handed the coaching reins to Budenholzer, opting to take in the game from the comforts of general manger R.C. Buford's luxury box.

Watching the action from a raised vantage point and free from the responsibilities coaching a game had its advantages, Popovich said.

"It's a different perspective," Popovich said. "One is able to see the offense move a little more freely, you can concentrate on individuals, instead of worrying about calling plays or how many minutes this guy's played or that guy's played. It's easier to evaluate, especially the new guys."

Still, Popovich won't get too comfortable in the suite. Budenholzer won't allow it.

"I think we're a lot better off with Pop on the sidelines," Budenholzer said.

Lever-Pedroza waived: It took the Spurs 17 days of training camp to make their first roster move.

In anticipation of Tony Parker's return to the lineup, the Spurs waived backup point guard Anthony Lever-Pedroza on Friday, trimming their roster to 18. The team has until Oct. 29 to eliminate three more players, but Popovich said the necessary cuts are likely to come sooner than that.

Horry remains out: Robert Horry missed his fifth consecutive practice Friday while on personal leave to deal with undisclosed family business.

Horry has not played in either of the Spurs' past two preseason games and has not practiced since the morning shootaround before last Saturday's game against Panathinaikos. His return to the team remains day-to-day.

The man in the mask: Francisco Elson's protective facemask doesn't seem to be affecting his shooting form.

The Spurs' 7-foot reserve center made seven of 11 field goals against Golden State, many of which came on jump shots from outside of 10 feet.

Elson has been forced to wear the mask after fracturing his eye socket during international play over the summer. He jokes he might continue to sport it permanently as a good-luck charm, a la Detroit's Rip Hamilton.

For now, however, it's still a very necessary part of his wardrobe.

"This is the NBA — you're always going to be playing someone who can bang on you," Elson said. "I'm going to keep wearing it as long as I'm comfortable with it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

angel_luv
10-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Elson has been forced to wear the mask after fracturing his eye socket during international play over the summer. He jokes he might continue to sport it permanently as a good-luck charm, a la Detroit's Rip Hamilton.

Every time Elson comes in the game with his mask on, my friend and I starting humming the theme from Phantom of the Opera.

Axl Van Dam
10-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Every time Elson comes in the game with his mask on, my friend and I starting humming the theme from Phantom of the Opera.

:lol That's a good one. :lol