PDA

View Full Version : Battle Blog: Karl Malone

Kori Ellis
12-20-2004, 05:50 AM
We continue the SpursZONE.com series of Point/Counterpoint articles in which two people debate different aspects of Spurs basketball and the rest of the NBA.

In this edition, Spurs fans and FullSportPress.com writers Joe Ruiz and Robert Doyen discuss the possibility of the Spurs acquiring Karl Malone.

Ruiz: Should the Spurs sign Karl Malone?

No.

Fine, let it go about the elbow to David Robinson. Let go of the many times Malone and the Jazz were in the crosshairs of the Spurs. Just let it go.

Let’s look at just the basketball for a minute. Yes, Malone is a hall-of-fame player. Yes, Malone could bring a physical presence that the Spurs could always use more of. The fact remains that Malone needs touches to be effective in an offense – the touches simply aren’t there with the offense running through Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Second, we don’t know if Malone is healthy enough to continue playing at an effective level. Yes, the Spurs would know more about this than anybody, but an unhealthy, underperforming Malone will not help the chemistry that this team seems to have developed with this quick start.

Next, somebody as overdramatic as Malone can’t be good for this team of those not used to being in the spotlight for anything other than their on-court play. The recent reports of a spat with the Bryant family seem to have some truth, if any, to them. While it may seem small to those around the country, everything “Karl Malone” will be the lead story on every newscast, radio show, newspaper and message board.

While the maturity the Spurs display consistently should be able to deal with any situations as quietly as possible, why risk it for somebody that could lead to any combustion within the locker room?

Doyen: Yes. Sign him.

Please consider his elbows and the memories of competing with him. Remember feelings of hate, disgust, and outrage. Now imagine what fans and players for opposing teams feel when they see him on the court. It gives your team a psychological advantage.

Only Payton cried for minutes and points on the Lakers last year. Malone only wants to win a championship, and the Spurs afford him the perfect opportunity to play low yet effective minutes. The Spurs can use him as no other team can … as a productive reserve.

The most important reason to have Malone in San Antonio is a purely basketball related, hate free reason. Minus Tim Duncan, the Spurs lack a consistent defensive rebounder and tough inside presence this season. Malone is the perfect answer to this.

Despite Kobe Bryant’s overwhelming drama last season, Karl Malone stuck by him like a samurai defending his emporer. He claimed during last year’s playoffs that you never saw a samurai warrior wearing a knee brace, so why should he? As foolish as that may sound, it portrays him as a single minded fighter who is willing to submit to a higher power.

The Spurs have no Kobe Bryant styled nonsense on their team. They do, however, have players who want to play as a team and win. These are the things that Karl Malone wants to do. The real question isn’t “Why would you want him on your team?”, it’s “Why on Earth wouldn’t you want him?”

Ruiz: What's next the first time he goes on the IR in San Antonio?

The drama and hype that comes with ten minutes of subpar offense and defense is totally unnecessary for this team right now. Beyond that, he may be even further limited due to a bum knee that may or may not be fully healed.

I'm sure that if the Spurs felt there was another viable option for a middle presence, they'd be investigating it right now or wait for the time to strike a deal somewhere else.

An aging Karl Malone that needs shots to be successful - and will invariably command shots that should go to the young guns (in a non-stop build of confidence that many whine about) is just not good for an offense that is well on its way to a NBA Championship.

Doyen: Malone doesn't want to star on a team or score a lot of points anymore. He just doesn't want to be remembered as the next Elgin Baylor by never getting a ring after an amazing career. He should have no problem letting other players get their due, just as he did last year in L.A.

In San Antonio Malone will only have to play reserve minutes as opposed to starter minutes so his knee shouldn't be a problem. And an aging Karl Malone is a much better player to have coming off the bench than an aging Robert Horry or Tony Massenburg.

As far as the Kobe Bryant feud, Kobe is probably just whining as usual.

Malone may be a dirty player, but he's also a great player, and the last time Tim Duncan was paired with an aging member of the NBA's 50 greatest it spelled Championship gold.

Doyen (toosmallshoes) won the Blog.

Streakyshooter08
12-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Hey Kori, are there any news releated to Karl signing somewhere or any indication when he will make his desicion? Has Pop already had contact? Just curious...

Thanks.
Streaky :)

Kori Ellis
12-20-2004, 06:14 AM
There was some news out of New Jersey that the Nets had contacted Malone's agent and there may be a possible meeting there. That's all I heard this weekend.

It was in the NJ paper as well as on their radio apparently.

But here's what Rod Thorn said about it...

As for the continuing free agency of power forward Karl Malone, Nets General Manager Rod Thorn told the Newark Star-Ledger, "I still don't think Karl is interested in playing in the East, unless it is Miami, just from reports we've had from people."

Streakyshooter08
12-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Thank you. But I don't think that he'll play for New Jersey, he would help them of course but they aren't a contender at all. If he will play again at all I think its going to be Spurs or Heat. I wonder when and how he will announce his desicion.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2004, 08:45 AM
I refuse to be the New Orleans Hornets of the Battle Blogs.

:lmao

Seriously, though, Robert almost brought me around to the dark side with his retorts.

Almost.

airjer15
12-20-2004, 11:19 AM
I am a big Malone fan, I think Malone could make any team better, even the #1 team the San Antonio Spurs, and thats coming from a Jazz fan. What is all the contraversy any way, arn't you guys the ones who put Dennis Rodman under your wings? Let me put it in Shaq's words " Malone is a legend, and if you don't like Malone there is something wrong with you."

angel_luv
12-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Oh no... if I continue to dislike Malone that will make me lose Shaq's good opinion? Somebody save me! ( Eyes Rolling).

boutons
12-20-2004, 11:55 AM
"Dennis Rodman"

For all his weirdness, Rodman didn't have the 2-decade reputation of a hard-fouling, cheapshot chickenshit disgrace that is tatooed to Mal One.

airjer15
12-20-2004, 12:04 PM
"Dennis Rodman"

For all his weirdness, Rodman didn't have the 2-decade reputation of a hard-fouling, cheapshot chickenshit disgrace that is tatooed to Mal One.

what planet are you from? are we talking about the same Rodman? if we are then you prove my point.

BronxCowboy
12-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Not all Spurs fans wanted Rodman on the team either. Besides, boutons is totally right about Malone.

mysterious_elf26
12-20-2004, 12:37 PM
There was some news out of New Jersey that the Nets had contacted Malone's agent and there may be a possible meeting there. That's all I heard this weekend.

No, that rumor has already been shot dead. A newspaper said both the Nets and Knicks have contacted Malone. However, he himself told them that he has no interest in playing for either team. Isiah Thomas even went as far as saying that he believes that Malone will sign with the Spurs.

T Park
12-20-2004, 12:39 PM
airjer,

got a link to that about Spurs fans loving Rodman??

Sure he was semi popular, but the trade of Sean Elliott for him was not

SuperManu!!!
12-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Let me put it in Shaq's words " Malone is a legend, and if you don't like Malone there is something wrong with you."

YEah....because shaq words are holy. :nope

I'm tired of hearing about Malone! I hate him but if he is going to play for us, stop the drama and come over so it can start working for god's sake.!!! :baby
I think Kobe was right when he said his team players were making more effort to play well instead of malone who talks but does nothing; so it was unffair to his teammates.

We should focus now on our team. That's all

whottt
12-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Rodman wasn't an enemy of Spurs fans like Malone is now, before he came here. Also, other than leveling Scottie Pippen, he didn't really have a history of hurting guys. He was just a tough defender and rebounder...that was kind of an enigmatic head case. Not really a bad guy. But IMO he did become a total freak here, and he did do and say enough stuff while he was here, and after he left, that he should be the most hated enemy of the Spurs.

He ranks as my number 1 most hated by far, even over Malone, Shaq and Phil.

BronxCowboy
12-20-2004, 12:46 PM
Rodman wasn't an enemy of Spurs fans like Malone is now, before he came here. Also, other than leveling Scottie Pippen, he didn't really have a history of hurting guys. He was just a tough defender and rebounder...that was kind of a an enigmatic head case. Not really a bad guy. But IMO he did become a total freak here and he did do and say enough stuff while he was here, and after he left, that IMO he should be the most hated enemy of the Spurs.

He ranks as my number 1 by far, even over Shaq and Phil.

I just chalk it all up as he must have been off his medication :lol

Manu20
12-20-2004, 03:31 PM
The reality is that the Spurs can win the championship with Malone or without him.

The Spurs won the championship in 2003 with Malik being the first big man off the bench so I have faith on him.

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 03:35 PM
The reality is that the Spurs can win the championship with Malone or without him.

The Spurs won the championship in 2003 with Malik being the first big man off the bench so I have faith on him.
I agree.
But Barry needs to step, and if he does we will be fine.

I think the main threat to the Spurs is the Sonics, but they haven't really played that many great teams.
Phoenix is playing great as a TEAM, how the spurs play. that explains their record.
Seattle is good, but for some reason i dont think they can keep their great shooting up all season into the play-offs.
Then again, they might proove me wrong, and they would be a great example of a team who lived off of the 3 point line.

Manu20
12-20-2004, 03:46 PM
IMO Seattle will fade but they can be scary in a playoff series.

As for the Suns I think they are for real. The one thing that I don't like about them is that they don't have a bench.

Dec 28 it is going to be fun to watch how the Spurs are going to match up with the Suns.

whottt
12-20-2004, 03:51 PM
I am counting on Nash wearing down by the playoffs like he has done the past few seasons...Once he slows down the rest of the Suns will follow.

angel_luv
12-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Rodman was off his medication... LOL that explains it. He was either suffering from a lack of meds or all the hair dye chemicals that saturated to his brain.
I don't miss Dennis but I would welcome him back any day over Karl Malone. Dennis is eccentric; Karl Malone is delibrately hateful. One is tolerable. The other unforgivable.

toosmallshoes
12-20-2004, 07:21 PM
I refuse to be the New Orleans Hornets of the Battle Blogs.

:lmao

Seriously, though, Robert almost brought me around to the dark side with his retorts.

Almost.

Come to the Dark Side Blaze.

Rummpd
12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Angel gets all the love on this blog from this poster. I do not want Malone period.

Spurs good enough without him and whose to say he s/p a knee operation; will be any more effective than Horry and Rose (who minute per minute is bringing exactly what Malone would bring with less needed touches on the ball).

MadDoc

angel_luv
12-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Exactly. =) I'm glad at least two of us know what is up . =)

airjer15
12-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Exactly. =) I'm glad at least two of us know what is up . =)

Maybe you 2 that know whats up so much should go tell Pop and Tim, cause they don't feel the same as you 2

Drachen
12-21-2004, 01:04 PM
I just think its funny that we were a coin flip away from drafting him, not having Dave, etc, etc. Thank the gods for that coin flip.

rr2418
12-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Too many people are remembering the "elbow to DR" thing!! I think DR like a gentlemen he is, would or probably has forgiven him for that incident. Let's just support the Spurs decision if they acquire Malone. We could speculate all we want, but until Malone comes to the Spurs, we don't know if he will help or not help the Spurs.

IMHO, he will definitely help the Spurs!!!!!!!! :spin

boutons
12-21-2004, 06:46 PM
"remembering the "elbow to DR" thing"

Nope. That's only one of many such cheap shots, flagrants, and ejections. He's a dirty bastard, but Pop loves him. It's classless for him to leave "his" franchise and go grovelling for a ring at LA, and perhaps at SA.

rr2418
12-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Nope. That's only one of many such cheap shots, flagrants, and ejections. He's a dirty bastard, but Pop loves him. It's classless for him to leave "his" franchise and go grovelling for a ring at LA, and perhaps at SA.

Hey! Malone wants to win a championship. I think every player should do whatever it takes to seek that title. If it means coming to the Spurs, so be it!

mikaela01
01-03-2005, 11:58 PM
sign Malone??

:hang

no way! :pctoss

angel_luv
01-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Maybe you 2 that know whats up so much should go tell Pop and Tim, cause they don't feel the same as you 2

What did Timmy say about getting Baloney here?

Rummpd
01-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Would not he just go quietly into the night? Probably not but heres hoping.

A Jordan wanabee either play or retire.

MadDoc