10-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Williams has no Potential whatsoever
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes yes he way past his prime

T Park
10-20-2007, 10:23 PM
yeah lets keep Beno...

exstatic
10-20-2007, 10:24 PM
They won't keep 4 PGs, and Williams may be cut anyway. The only way that might work is if Washington's a Toro all year.

xcoriate
10-20-2007, 10:24 PM
It's much easier for Holt to eat Williams partially guranteed deal then Beno's final year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I agree, can't see them keeping 4 points. They've got to clear a roster spot, so it's either cut Williams and his non-guaranteed contract or waive/trade Beno.

Whatever they do, they better do it fast.

exstatic
10-20-2007, 10:26 PM
It's much easier for Holt to eat Williams partially guranteed deal then Beno's final year.
Yeah, but that may be the plan already. Just because they might cut Williams doesn't mean they'll fill that 15th spot.

xcoriate
Yeah trading Beno is the best option... can they find a taker though?

Mr.Bottomtooth
1. If we must get rid of Beno to get Washington, then yes to the 1000th.
2. If we must get rid of Marcus, then no.

xcoriate
10-20-2007, 10:27 PM
^^ Yeah you're right.

duncan7721
10-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Waive Beno!!!!!!!!

ducks
10-20-2007, 11:01 PM
maybe since everyone wants to waive beno they can email the front office...............

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 01:14 AM
The third option is that we could trade Barry and his expiring deal (or Barry and Beno together). With Brent gunning like crazy this preseason, and with his deal only running through this season, some team with a need for shooters (ahem, the Clippers) might have interest.

T Park
10-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Trade Barry for what....

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Trade Barry for what....

I'm just creating more topics for conversation. Everyone is focusing on "Waive Williams" or "Trade Beno" but we could also look to Trade Barry. Or Trade Barry AND Beno together.

Would we consider the Beno/Barry for Maggette discussion again? We'd be REALLY full at the wings then, but it'd be a great value.

SenorSpur
10-21-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm just creating more topics for conversation. Everyone is focusing on "Waive Williams" or "Trade Beno" but we could also look to Trade Barry. Or Trade Barry AND Beno together.

Would we consider the Beno/Barry for Maggette discussion again? We'd be REALLY full at the wings then, but it'd be a great value.

Interesting point. With Shaun Livingston out, the Clips may be in need of a backup PG behind Cassell.

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Interesting point. With Shaun Livingston out, the Clips may be in need of a backup PG behind Cassell.

More importantly, the Clippers are a team in dire need of 3 point shooting. Barry has been on fire all preseason. The tandem of Beno and Barry would give them a couple more ball handlers as well as a deep threat....and both on expiring deals. It sounds like a match made in heaven for the Clippers. Now the only problem is "what do they have that we want?"

The Clips did go out this offseason and sign a few spare PGs (Dan Dickau, Brevin Knight) so Udrih might simply be redundant. But surely Barry could fill a role on that team quite quickly. And with the signing of Ruben Patterson and the drafting of Al Thornton it looks like Maggette's future is uncertain.

The Truth #6
10-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Barry is about to retire. He's only going to be good to another team at the trading deadline for his contract. I think we should keep him for his last year. To trade him away now seems very uncool. Also he's more productive than Finley and I think we'll need him this year.

SenorSpur
10-21-2007, 02:07 AM
More importantly, the Clippers are a team in dire need of 3 point shooting. Barry has been on fire all preseason. The tandem of Beno and Barry would give them a couple more ball handlers as well as a deep threat....and both on expiring deals. It sounds like a match made in heaven for the Clippers. Now the only problem is "what do they have that we want?"

The Clips did go out this offseason and sign a few spare PGs (Dan Dickau, Brevin Knight) so Udrih might simply be redundant. But surely Barry could fill a role on that team quite quickly. And with the signing of Ruben Patterson and the drafting of Al Thornton it looks like Maggette's future is uncertain.

I like the deal in theory, but from the Spurs vantage point, Maggette doesn't shoot as well or from as deep as Barry. Therefore, he doesn't open up the floor for Tim. It seems Pop really likes having Barry and his 3-pt arsenal at his disposal. Barry opens up the floor for Tim - big time.

coopdogg3
10-21-2007, 02:14 AM
I like the deal in theory, but from the Spurs vantage point, Maggette doesn't shoot as well or from as deep as Barry. Therefore, he doesn't open up the floor for Tim. It seems Pop really likes having Barry and his 3-pt arsenal at his disposal. Barry opens up the floor for Tim - big time.

I don't know how Maggette would fit in minutes-wise with Finley, Manu, and Bowen taking a lot of minutes - plus they deserve a lot of minutes since it will take time for Maggette to figure the Spurs system out. I guess Maggette might be willing to take one for the team, lower his minutes, not complain, concentrate on defense, because he would have a good shot at winning a Championship. I doubt he exercises his player option for 2008-2009, but if the Spurs would get any of his Birds rights - he might give the spurs some sign-and-trade options next offseason. That would be fun. Probably your standard .00001% of happening, but it's fun to talk about it, I suppose.

Mr. Body
10-21-2007, 06:57 AM
I just don't see Barry getting traded at this point. The team may be sentimental about it, but they're going to let him retire as a Spur.

Russ
10-21-2007, 09:14 AM
The easiest solution would seem to be to waive Williams and keep Washington. At this rate, by the time Williams realizes any potential he may have, it will likely be with another team anyway. Meantime, the Spurs have to eat his roster spot. Not a good tradeoff for the Spurs.

SenorSpur
10-21-2007, 09:21 AM
That's one possible solution, but you're asking R.C. to "burn one of his picks" in favor of keeping 4 PGs. Don't see that happening.

John Patrick
10-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Anybody that almost gets a triple double, albeit in preseason, deserves some looking into.

Beno is the one who should go to make room for Darius, but Williams is the easier one to let go of at this point.

Russ
10-21-2007, 09:26 AM
That's one possible solution, but you're asking R.C. to "burn one of his picks" in favor of keeping 4 PGs. Don't see that happening.
The pick they used to get Williams wasn't that valuable to begin with. Probably about 30 percent make it.

SenorSpur
10-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I still say it's way early to jettison Williams. Need to see if he can develop here. Beno is the one that needs to go. Surely they can find some sucker to take him off their hands.

A.H 21-50
10-21-2007, 09:55 AM
If you want Darius cut Beno and sign

the Spurs won't sign 4 pg's with other guys like barry or ginobili who can play the point

wildbill2u
10-21-2007, 10:26 AM
The pick they used to get Williams wasn't that valuable to begin with. Probably about 30 percent make it.
Less. The bottom third of the FIRST round only land about 15% on a NBA team.

2centsworth
10-21-2007, 10:38 AM
solution, but you're asking R.C. to "burn one of his picks" RC has been burning picks for 4-5 years now. He should be used to it.

SenorSpur
10-21-2007, 10:46 AM
RC has been burning picks for 4-5 years now. He should be used to it.

That's a slam dunk!
:toast

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 11:09 AM

That is an average of many years of drafts. What you fail to realize is that the last draft was an exceptionally loaded one. It was one of those drafts that will pull that 30% number UP and increase those percentages. There was talent all over the place. There were players that were more NBA ready and had just as much potential. But instead, we got Marcus Williams, the guy that was getting owned by career summer league invitees.

Mr. Body
10-21-2007, 11:11 AM
That is an average of many years of drafts. What you fail to realize is that the last draft was an exceptionally loaded one. It was one of those drafts that will pull that 30% number UP and increase those percentages. There was talent all over the place. There were players that were more NBA ready and had just as much potential. But instead, we got Marcus Williams, the guy that was getting owned by career summer league invitees.

Sums it up, pretty much. I'm STILL surprised they took a stab at Marcus Williams. He didn't fit a need and wasn't that good to begin with.

Spurs16212
10-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Waive Beno or Trade him for a trade exemption and cut M. Williams and bring Washington in.... This kid has potential and brings different dimensions that may benefit the Spurs. This kids looks hungry for a roster spot and I believe the Spurs should reward him with it.

M. Williams has not shown s### in the pre-season and is worse on the offensive end then Bowen.

All Beno has shown is how every year he tends to hurt himself in the pre-season and is a slow recoverer. Cut them both.

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Waive Beno or Trade him for a trade exemption and cut M. Williams and bring Washington in.... This kid has potential and brings different dimensions that may benefit the Spurs. This kids looks hungry for a roster spot and I believe the Spurs should reward him with it.

M. Williams has not shown s### in the pre-season and is worse on the offensive end then Bowen.

All Beno has shown is how every year he tends to hurt himself in the pre-season and is a slow recoverer. Cut them both.

So long as Washington makes the team I don't care whether or not Williams is cut. He is so cheap and inexpensive that it will do little harm to stick him in Austin for a year and see if he warrants further consideration. I would be more than happy to have Washington, Williams and Mahinmi all in Austin. But if keeping Williams will cost us Washington then I'm not interested.

exstatic
10-21-2007, 12:41 PM
The Spurs had the full 12 man roster returning before they signed Udoka, so it's only possible to maintain rights to two of those players for roster spots 14 and 15 if no other moves are made.

T Park
10-21-2007, 12:53 PM
He didn't fit a need

yeah the Spurs are loaded with long small forwards.

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 12:55 PM
That can't happen. The Spurs had the full 12 man roster returning before they signed Udoka, so it's only possible to maintain rights to two of those players for roster spots 14 and 15 if no other moves are made. Mahinmi, a first rounder, also has a guaranteed 2 year deal, so it's really Washington vs. AZ scrub.

Sure it can happen. Trade Beno or Barry or both.

exstatic
10-21-2007, 01:06 PM
I think if they had a taker for Beno with no return player, they would have pulled the trigger. Not a real scenario.

Barry has some value, but again, not many teams with the exception or cap room to send no return player.

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I think if they had a taker for Beno with no return player, they would have pulled the trigger. Not a real scenario.

Barry has some value, but again, not many teams with the exception or cap room to send no return player.

So package Barry and Beno together and do a two for one trade.

With Udoka on the squad this year minutes at the wing are going to be hard to come by making Barry less effective yet and Beno is a wash no matter what.

El_Mago
10-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Barry is not getting traded.

Mr. Body
10-21-2007, 02:57 PM

He's not a long small forward, dipshit. He's mostly a SG and isn't any bigger than Bowen.

Mr. Body
10-21-2007, 02:58 PM
So package Barry and Beno together and do a two for one trade.

With Udoka on the squad this year minutes at the wing are going to be hard to come by making Barry less effective yet and Beno is a wash no matter what.

I don't see Barry traded at all. He's retiring as a Spur. Beno won't net anything by himself and won't sweeten the pot for anyone else.

Kamnik
10-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Holy shit.....

Spurs win so much it gets boring. (not the style... winning-spoiled r we)

We actually have countless threads about a 4th string PG :))

funny shit

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Holy shit.....

Spurs win so much it gets boring. (not the style... winning-spoiled r we)

We actually have countless threads about a 4th string PG :))

funny shit
We strive for perfection. :)

BeerIsGood!
10-21-2007, 07:14 PM

:lmao @ calling Beno a "ball handler"

UNCLE MARC NYC
10-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Darius must have made quite an impression huh?

inconvertible
10-21-2007, 09:48 PM
This is guy is a star in the making. he has a huge chip on his shoulder, and I think he believes he shouldn't play second fiddle to anyone. I say sign him. with parker and washington and everyone else.......a repeat is in sight.

what were his stats in greece?

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 10:38 PM
This is guy is a star in the making.

I don't know about that. But I think he could be a really solid 2nd string PG behind Parker. Especially if he can keep his defense at a high level.

T Park
10-21-2007, 10:41 PM
He's not a long small forward, dipshit

Yeah ok.

Obstructed_View
10-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Compared to point guard? Yeah, they are. During the draft they were apparently so desperate for a long small forward that can't shoot or play defense to groom for Bowen's spot that it was worth reaching for Marcus.

Now that Udoka's here, why would you want Williams over Washington?

Mr. Body
10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Now that Udoka's here, why would you want Williams over Washington?

You don't. Washington is much more ready - and at a similar age - and fills a position of need faster. We will lost Udrih after this season (thankfully) and Vaughn may as well skip to the coach's bench then, too.

Meanwhile, Williams is not the long forward we need. He's not even all that big. Long arms, sure, with some defensive potential, but he's not going to see an NBA floor for some time. He made a mistake by taking the non-guaranteed contract and fearing Europe.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Would Washington see an NBA floor if everyone was healthy?

You guys are barking up the wrong tree. Get rid of Beno.

Obstructed_View
10-22-2007, 07:09 PM
You don't. Washington is much more ready - and at a similar age - and fills a position of need faster. We will lost Udrih after this season (thankfully) and Vaughn may as well skip to the coach's bench then, too.

Meanwhile, Williams is not the long forward we need. He's not even all that big. Long arms, sure, with some defensive potential, but he's not going to see an NBA floor for some time. He made a mistake by taking the non-guaranteed contract and fearing Europe.
I agree. I wondered why T Park seemed to think Williams was a.) such a great pick and b.) so much more valuable than a point guard with potential.

thispego
10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
ah yes. the get rid of barry talk continues... carry on sellouts

Obstructed_View
10-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Would Washington see an NBA floor if everyone was healthy?

You guys are barking up the wrong tree. Get rid of Beno.
If you can keep Mahinmi, Williams and Washington while shopping Beno, then that's the thing to do. See the other thread where I asked you that specific question.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 07:13 PM
If you can keep Mahinmi, Williams and Washington while shopping Beno, then that's the thing to do. See the other thread where I asked you that specific question.You can't. If the Spurs actually like Williams and Washington, I'd start offering Beno and cash for a trade exception.

Obstructed_View
10-22-2007, 07:18 PM
You can't. If the Spurs actually like Williams and Washington, I'd start offering Beno and cash for a trade exception.
At the very least, or try to package an existing expiring contract with him.

Has Williams done anything other than be picked by the Spurs to make them like him?

Mr. Body
10-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Naturally you boot Beno if you can, but I don't think you can.

Obstructed_View
10-22-2007, 07:23 PM
If there's any chance of being able to getting someone to take Beno's salary, it's not worth sacrificing that for saving face on a bad second round pick.

barbacoataco
10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Myy take is that even though Washington has potential, the FO thinks he is too small and a defensive liability. If they really want to sign Washington, I would rather see them just waive Beno. If they sign Washington to a 450,000 contract, it would cost the Spurs 900,000 after the luxury tax. But if some team picks up Beno on waivers, it would cost them nothing. That seems like a better option than cutting Williams without giving him at least one season with the Torros.

Da Spurs
10-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Can't Williams still play for the Toros if he gets cut with the Spurs? Doesn't it just mean that he's available to other teams now and isn't our sole property? Nobody in their right mind would pick him up now.

Washington is a keeper IMHO.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 11:01 PM
We would have to waive Williams then have the Toros draft him.

timvp
10-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Andre Barrett was waived by the Bulls. He's another player who I'd like to the Spurs to add in place of Beno.

As far as the title of this thread, I don't see the Spurs waiving Williams to keep Washington. I think Washington is the better NBA prospect but having four point guards doesn't really help matters as far as winning a championship. With the age of the swingmen, the Spurs probably need an emergency swingman ... even if it's the level of Marcus Williams.

Getting rid of Beno to keep Washington is the only way I see Washington making the team.

coopdogg3
10-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Mind giving a little info on Barrett? What position he plays? Why you like him, etc?

timvp
10-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Mind giving a little info on Barrett? What position he plays? Why you like him, etc?Barrett is a 5-foot-10 point guard the Spurs have had interest in back a couple offseasons ago. He was with the Bulls last year and just got cut by Chicago.

He's basically a Mike Wilks type player but with better scoring abilities. He's nothing overly special but I think he's a quality third point guard in the NBA and would be able to run the team decently in an emergency.

Washington has better upside, but right this second I'd trust Barrett to run the team more than I would trust Washington. Barrett is a very good ballhandler, has good vision and can score a bit. The knock against him is his size limits his ability at the defensive end.

coopdogg3
10-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Cool, thanks.

ChumpDumper
10-23-2007, 03:20 AM
Wilks is just sitting by the phone as well. If we are talking about swingmen that are more ready to contribute than Williams, the Rockets waived Mike Harris, who is pretty much Chuck Hayes lite with a jump shot. I guess there's a good chance he'll end up with in the D-League again.

timvp
10-23-2007, 04:32 AM
Wilks is just sitting by the phone as well.

Wilks signed with the Nuggets last Wednesday :reading

ChumpDumper
10-23-2007, 04:48 AM
Doh! I forgot about all those injuries. I suppose a couple of point guards are going to be let go by New Jersey soon too now that Kidd is coming back.

We still have to get rid of Beno before considering any of them.