PDA

View Full Version : Who Needs Marcus?

duncan7721
10-20-2007, 11:43 PM
I am not impressed by Mahinmi and Williams. I really think we should sign Washington. The pistons game is the only game where Langford has impressed me at all. I think we should keep Mahinmi, just for backup but we would do better off without Williams. Langford is questionable. I need to keep an eye on him. 13 and 5 and 5 rebounds is not bad...he had about 30 minutes, which is pretty good. I think its funny that TD would have 20 and 12 in that time. He had 16 and 6 and 5 assists (more assists than TP) in 25 minutes. Bottom line is waive Marcus. http://www.nba.com/games/20071020/DETSAS/boxscore.html

duncan7721
10-20-2007, 11:47 PM
See? Not about centers. Happy?

SenorSpur
10-20-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't understand all the negativity toward Williams. He's not expected to be NBA-ready RIGHT NOW. Give the guy a year or two. With the logjam at the swing spot, he wouldn't get any minutes anyway - even if he was further along. His value to the team will be if he develops in the next 1-2 seasons. It's far too soon to give up on him.

Now. Beno on the other hand, that's a different animal. I would think most of your "piss and vinegar" would be aimed toward him.

sa_kid20
10-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Marcus really hasn't shown anything but then again we've only played four pre-season games so i don't wanna be too quick to judge. Send him to the Torros this year and see what happens before letting him go all together. As far as Darius Washington is concerned i'm almost convinced he might actually get a spot on this team. He runs the team well and makes those little hustle plays and seems to have a good basketball I.Q. The spurs should really give this guy a chance especially considering the pg situation we have right now. I know he has only played against pre-season scrubs but i think its worth a shot

SenorSpur
10-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Marcus really hasn't shown anything but then again we've only played four pre-season games so i don't wanna be too quick to judge. Send him to the Torros this year and see what happens before letting him go all together. As far as Darius Washington is concerned i'm almost convinced he might actually get a spot on this team. He runs the team well and makes those little hustle plays and seems to have a good basketball I.Q. The spurs should really give this guy a chance especially considering the pg situation we have right now. I know he has only played against pre-season scrubs but i think its worth a shot

I agree with you on Washington, but I think it's highly unlikely they clear a spot for him unless they move Beno somehow. No one in the FO has the stones to cut their losses and waive this guy.

Joe Schmoogins
10-21-2007, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't call Baron Davis a scrub... :nope

MaNu4Tres
10-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Why waste a roster spot on a player who is not NBA ready? Lol I don't understand us wasting a roster spot this year for the hope for three years down the road. When three years down the road we can easily get someone just as good via free agency or the draft. Point guard is obviously the only position that isn't deep with Beno being Beno and the untalented,average, whole hearted Jacque Vaughn. I would sign Darius Washington and waive Williams. Washington is only a year older and shows much more ability, consistency, promise, and potential.

It really saddens me Beno has worked harder the past three years trying to emulate Vince from Entourage instead of becoming a better player :(

sa_kid20
10-21-2007, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't call Baron Davis a scrub... :nope

Thats not what i'm saying, i'm just saying that teams usually don't play starters in the pre-season much most of the time( Baris Davis happened to play almost 30 mins the other night so that's an acception) For instance Detroit didn't play Billups at all tonight

duncan7721
10-21-2007, 12:17 AM
I don't understand all the negativity toward Williams. He's not expected to be NBA-ready RIGHT NOW. Give the guy a year or two. With the logjam at the swing spot, he wouldn't get any minutes anyway - even if he was further along. His value to the team will be if he develops in the next 1-2 seasons. It's far too soon to give up on him.

Now. Beno on the other hand, that's a different animal. I would think most of your "piss and vinegar" would be aimed toward him.
i think we should waive beno also. but there have already been multiple threads on Beno, i want to see what everyone thinks of Williams.

duncan7721
10-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Woah...i just looked up the box score again and the numbers were COMPLETELY different. Oops.

duncan7721
10-21-2007, 12:28 AM
It doesn't add up to the full score...its confusing.

mystargtr34
10-21-2007, 12:54 AM
haha it will update soon...

duncan7721
10-21-2007, 01:04 AM
it changed again!!! It says duncan didn't score!lol

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 01:10 AM
it changed again!!! It says duncan didn't score!lol

Use this boxscore:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=271020024

Another solid game for Washington...albeit nothing like the last outing.

But the story of the game is Brent Barry. Damn...

duncan7721
10-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Ya...one good performance....i would say clutch but it doesn't fit the situation.

coopdogg3
10-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Marcus is kind of an odd one for me. He seems to do the little things right - good position on rebounds, makes the extra pass, plays smart defense.

But he doesn't do the big things - he turns the ball over a lot, and can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I'm more than willing to let him sit for a year, play with the Toro's and see if he gets better. I can't believe he's that bad of a shot, but I guess we'll see. I think giving him 2 seasons is a bit much, it would be tough to train him up for 2 years, develop him into a decent player, and just when he's worth something - have to match a bigger offer from another team, or let him walk and get nothing in return. Give him one year and see what happens is my $.02

duncan7721
10-21-2007, 04:16 AM
Phew...the box score is the same as I wrote the thread on.

duncan7721
10-21-2007, 06:51 AM
:vomit: Mahinmi hasn't really impressed me either. 4 points and 3 rebouns a game is what he has been getting. Maybe give him some time. Marcus= :vomit:
me marcus

Mr. Body
10-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Williams... it's tough to keep a player on your roster for two years + hoping he comes around with work. That's what was crazy, still is: in a pretty deep draft, with a pick right outside the first round, you need to come away with a player who can contribute. If the floor time isn't there, he needs the talent to contribute. Marcus Williams is barely as good as James White. Neither is an NBA player at this point.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Williams is gonna take a while to develop. Just because he hasn't had a great game in the preseason doesn't mean he should be waived.

Mr. Body
10-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Williams is gonna take a while to develop. Just because he hasn't had a great game in the preseason doesn't mean he should be waived.

Why do the Spurs have to pay for the next 3-4 years hoping he comes around? Turn him loose. There are a thousand Marcus Williamses out there trying to get in.

We may see him in the league, someday, as an Ime Udoka-type. But that'll take Williams 8 years.

I'll bet the Spurs were pissed he didn't take their offer to play overseas. Ruined a roster spot for the season, put him on the hook to produce faster. Dumb choice that'll probably mean he gets cut faster.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Why do the Spurs have to pay for the next 3-4 years hoping he comes around?
If he needs 3-4 years to be productive THEN I'll be willing to cut him for Washington.

Darkwaters
10-21-2007, 12:09 PM
If he needs 3-4 years to be productive THEN I'll be willing to cut him for Washington.

I think after 2 years he could be a quality defensive player with no offensive game. It'll take 3-4 years for him to be a complete player. His offense is in a stage of such infancy that he will take a while to be able to compete on the biggest stage...if ever.

SenorSpur
10-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Besides that, are we forgetting that Bruce Bowen came to this team in 2001 with virtually no offensive game to speak of.

Besides that, In these days of excessive Sportscenter highlight reels and the And1 Mix Tape Streetball events, any player who has the willingness and mindset to focus on playing defense FIRST, should be worth taking a flyer on for this organization.

Let's give Williams a chance to develop before labeling him a bust.

exstatic
10-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Besides that, are we forgetting that Bruce Bowen came to this team in 2001 with virtually no offensive game to speak of.

Besides that, In these days of excessive Sportscenter highlight reels and the And1 Mix Tape Streetball events, any player who has the willingness and mindset to focus on playing defense FIRST, should be worth taking a flyer on for this organization.

Let's give Williams a chance to develop before labeling him a bust.
You need to go to Bowen's player page and recognize that he could fucking shoot the long ball before he got here. If you gave Marcus 100 3 pt shots in an empty gym, I'd be surprised if he hit 20. The Spurs knew he wasn't ready or even close, which is why they wanted him in Europe for a year, and not eating a roster spot. I can't see them paying a non-guaranteed deal at double the cost because of the LuxTax to let a VERY rough project develop in Austin.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2007, 03:02 PM
I can't see them paying a non-guaranteed deal at double the cost because of the LuxTax to let a VERY rough project develop in Austin.Then why buy the Toros in the first place? I'll be pissed if we don't have two players to send down here.

exstatic
10-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Then why buy the Toros in the first place? I'll be pissed if we don't have two players to send down here.
This year won't be the only year that they'll have player(s) to develop. Also, nothing says they can't "develop" players not on their 15 man roster there for next year.

coopdogg3
10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
This year won't be the only year that they'll have player(s) to develop. Also, nothing says they can't "develop" players not on their 15 man roster there for next year.

Yeah, but if we develop players not on the Spurs roster, than all you are doing is helping out other teams who can sign these players. Granted they'll be introduced to the Spurs system, but I would much rather prefer developing the Spurs roster players in Austin - than possibly doing other teams dirty work for them.

I guess since we'll only be sending down a maximum of 2 of our own players to Austin, it's inevitable that we will develop other teams players. But I would like to have a couple guaranteed Spurs in Austin.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2007, 03:17 PM
This year won't be the only year that they'll have player(s) to develop. Not much of an argument against developing two players this season.
Also, nothing says they can't "develop" players not on their 15 man roster there for next year.That number of players will be 10 regardless of the number of players the Spurs send down.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah, but if we develop players not on the Spurs roster, than all you are doing is helping out other teams who can sign these players. Granted they'll be introduced to the Spurs system, but I would much rather prefer developing the Spurs roster players in Austin - than possibly doing other teams dirty work for them.I think having Williams on a nonguaranteed deal will help a little in that regard. If some Toro is clearly ready to contribute to the Spurs, Williams could be cut and the former Toro could take his place. If he's coming back, I expect Justin Bowen to make the Spurs seriously consider doing this.

exstatic
10-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Not much of an argument against developing two players this season.
That wasn't my argument. I don't believe the double cost to be worth developing Marcus.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2007, 03:42 PM
That wasn't my argument. I don't believe the double cost to be worth developing Marcus.That cost is not set in stone.

exstatic
10-21-2007, 03:45 PM
That cost is not set in stone.
Stone? No, but the concrete is fast drying. :)

ChumpDumper
10-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Stone? No, but the concrete is fast drying. :)Four months is quite a long time.

A.H 21-50
10-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Why do the Spurs have to pay for the next 3-4 years hoping he comes around? Turn him loose. There are a thousand Marcus Williamses out there trying to get in.

We may see him in the league, someday, as an Ime Udoka-type. But that'll take Williams 8 years.

I'll bet the Spurs were pissed he didn't take their offer to play overseas. Ruined a roster spot for the season, put him on the hook to produce faster. Dumb choice that'll probably mean he gets cut faster.

I don't know if you have check the stats (preseason) of all the rookie's who were drafted after williams , no other wing player plays well actually ( i speak about wing players)
the spurs want a long SF or someting like that they tought williams will do someting
for the moment it's wrong

remingtonbo2001
10-21-2007, 05:13 PM
After last couple of games, I think Washington would be the more valuable piece of the various canidates. If he makes the roster, I think Darius should recieve his own fan section, called WASHINGTON'S BANDWAGON.

duncan7721
10-22-2007, 03:24 AM
I just hope Washington stays consistent, i gotta admit i was surpirsed he followed up fairly well in the latest game. I thought he just had a lucky night. Now I am more convinced.

duncan7721
10-24-2007, 05:20 AM
He did alright in the miami game...williams only played 3 minutes. D. Washington: 6 points 2 assists, 18 minutes. Marcus: 1 rebound, 3 minutes.