PDA

View Full Version : Serj Tankian of System of a Down: Elect the Dead

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-21-2007, 07:53 PM
His first single: Empty Walls

He's gonna be better off without System of a Down.

I doubt System of a Down will even stay together. They should've ended their hiatus by now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BZSKvSz1roQ

His CD comes out on Tuesday, BTW.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-21-2007, 08:23 PM
It's funny because what we have here is a near perfect analogy to RATM.

Except in this case, the singer is about to begin a solo career that seems to have potential to easily record a 2nd CD, and the band (probably cuz the major SOAD composer and guitarist is a huge heroin addict) will probably fade into oblivion.

I think SOAD's later stuff is shit anyways, but man drivin around gettin lit while listening to their first album in high school during the winter is a feeling I will never forget.

John Patrick
10-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Im more a fan of the earlier songsfrom SOAD.

If I hadnt already known that they had gone " on hiatus", Id've thought that this was a pretty good song for them.

leemajors
10-21-2007, 10:45 PM
interesting, larry lelonde plays rhythm guitar in his touring band.

scott
10-21-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't know anything about SOAD, don't really like anything they've done, and I usually turn them off whenever they pop along the Sirius dial (In fact, I've wondered who the SOAD copycat band has been when they've played this Serj guy, now I know...) - but I've got to say this song is alright, and its a fun video concept.

Xylus
10-22-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm actually a huge fan of their later stuff. While Toxicity will never be topped, Mezmerize and Hypnotize are fantastic albums, ones that I still play often.

I've listened to three of the tracks off of Elect the Dead, and love them all. I'll be purchasing the CD when it's released.

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 03:21 AM
I knew there were SOAD fans out there. I'm so excited for Serj's new cd. I love "Empty Walls" The video is brilliantly done. Also, I found this interview about the album itself. Serj is the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZvwifqzCY

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 03:26 AM
Elect the Dead. Sounds like something Alice Cooper would say, huh? :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-22-2007, 06:34 PM
SOAD's earlier stuff was the best. Mesmerize was okay and Hypnotize was shit.

Fillmoe
10-22-2007, 06:41 PM
serj is a beast....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YbwIaVVAac4

peep who's on the drums and guitar.....

Thunder Dan
10-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I used to think it was cool to see a band full of immigrants bash a country that made them both famous and rich....wait no I didn't

Kyle Smith
serj is a beast....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YbwIaVVAac4

peep who's on the drums and guitar.....

Neat.

I hear on the album Serj actually played most of the instruments himself. He dabbles.

Kriz-Maxima
I think hipnotize and mesmerize should had been one Cd. I didnt like half the songs but the other half were pretty nice.

Fillmoe
10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I used to think it was cool to see a band full of immigrants bash a country that made them both famous and rich....wait no I didn't

only one of them is an immigrant, and hes playing the guitar.... learn something before you start spouting off ignorant shit.

Thunder Dan
10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
only one of them is an immigrant, and hes playing the guitar.... learn something before you start spouting off ignorant shit.

Serj was not born in the states. Bassist is from Armenia. Actually the guitar player is the only one that was born in the states..

Xylus
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
How dare they criticize our government...

We should all just accept how things are run, because those in power clearly know what's best for all of us.

Fillmoe
10-22-2007, 07:08 PM
i am talking about the link i posted.... i dont know what the fuck you are talking about.....

Xylus
10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
He's talking about System of a Down.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Neat.

I hear on the album Serj actually played most of the instruments himself. He dabbles.
He played pretty much everything on the CD. I think he said the only thing he didn't do was some drumming on a few songs.

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Comes out tomorrow? :o

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Comes out tomorrow? :o
I plan on going to Wal-Mart before school to go get it. :D

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Haha. I might just iTunes it. I don't live near any record stores and my transportation is ... lacking. lol

Thunder Dan
10-22-2007, 07:44 PM
i am talking about the link i posted.... i dont know what the fuck you are talking about.....

I was talking about System of a Down

We should all just accept how things are run, because those in power clearly know what's best for all of us.

I'm one of the biggest libreral/government conspiracy guys you'll ever meet, I'm just saying that if they hate America so much then why don't they go back to their country.

Xylus
10-22-2007, 07:50 PM
I've never gotten the impression that they hate America.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-22-2007, 07:51 PM
rofl

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/photos/uncategorized/claytonbigsby.jpg
:lmao

Thunder Dan
10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
rofl

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/photos/uncategorized/claytonbigsby.jpg

lol

Josh810
10-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Pretty sweet CD. Just as good as SOAD stuff, IMO.

Kyle Smith
10-23-2007, 12:20 AM
One thing I don't like about Empty Walls is how much weaker Serj's voice sounds with out Daron behind him. I've always liked their harmonies.

Johnny RIngo
10-23-2007, 10:56 AM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2739/soad1yr6.gif

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5444/soad2gj5.gif

Xylus
10-23-2007, 08:22 PM
System of a Down is that rare rock band that sells millions of records and is praised by critics. For good reason.

As for Serj's vocals in Empty Walls, I think they're as strong as ever, though Daron's backup vocals sure do add something to the band's sound...

Johnny RIngo
10-30-2007, 04:38 AM
System of a Down is that rare rock band that sells millions of records and is praised by critics. For good reason.

Critics don't know shit about rock/heavy music.

As for Serj's vocals in Empty Walls, I think they're as strong as ever, though Daron's backup vocals sure do add something to the band's sound...

Serj is an overrated vocalist. His singing ranges from mediocre to annoying as fuck. If I wanted to hear a lot of out-of-tune moaning I could just as easily watch a shitty garage band on youtube.

drunkendan
10-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Critics don't know shit about rock/heavy music.

Serj is an overrated vocalist. His singing ranges from mediocre to annoying as fuck. If I wanted to hear a lot of out-of-tune moaning I could just as easily watch a shitty garage band on youtube.

Wow that's pretty brutal. What's the name of your band?

ATRAIN
10-30-2007, 09:09 AM
From what I have heard, this cd is pretty decent. I really like empty walls. I do like me some SOAD from time to time. This is a watered down version. Pretty much like the way A Perfect Circle was to Tool.

Soul_Patch
10-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Ive always thought system of a down sucked....and i think this is prett much shit too...

i cant stand that operatic rock voice shit...reminds me of when butthead (beavis and butthead) tries to sing...

blizz
10-30-2007, 09:55 AM
SOAD sucks balls.

blizz
10-30-2007, 09:55 AM
and so does this tarkanian fellow

PakiDan
10-30-2007, 12:05 PM

TRUE, BUT THE OTHERS ARE FIRST GENERATION, SO I'D SAY WHAT DAN HAD TO SAY WAS STILL EXTREMELY RELEVANT. I THINK THAT ALOT OF WHAT SERJ SAYS IS IGNORANT SHIT. PLUS, DON'T THEY WORSHIP THE DEVIL?

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-30-2007, 02:29 PM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2739/soad1yr6.gif

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5444/soad2gj5.gif

:lmao

Medvedenko
10-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Empty walls is pretty tight...but I still like SOAD better. Daron writes most of the music anyways and his vocals are pretty nice as well. They both keep themselves in line that's what's good about the band.

T Park
10-30-2007, 06:03 PM

No one said not to.

But to look down on us, and do the typical "stupid americans" bullshit, yeah thats what I hate.

Soul_Patch
10-31-2007, 11:06 AM
No one said not to.

But to look down on us, and do the typical "stupid americans" bullshit, yeah thats what I hate.

I actually agree with Tpark here.

I really cant stand this angsty polical rock shit that, for me, started with Rage against the machine. of course it has been around forever, but in my generation it was rage... I really liked Rage's sound, i think they are talented as shit, and their guitarist is amazing, but....please spare me the political message shit...i just dont get into the whole music with a cause thing...use your money and fame to promote your cause, but stop making all of your songs so politically charged...it just comes across as fake to me...like you are trying to be some intellectual, when all we want is a kick ass rocker!

U2 does that aspect of rock correctly...as do the beastie boys...

but...even with out the over blown so called righteous messages he is trying to portray...the music is just poop....

http://www.kamworld.net/chris/images/Butthead.jpg

I fully expect to see this on the album cover.

Johnny RIngo
11-01-2007, 10:39 AM

I really cant stand this angsty polical rock shit that, for me, started with Rage against the machine. of course it has been around forever, but in my generation it was rage... I really liked Rage's sound, i think they are talented as shit, and their guitarist is amazing, but....please spare me the political message shit...i just dont get into the whole music with a cause thing...use your money and fame to promote your cause, but stop making all of your songs so politically charged...it just comes across as fake to me...like you are trying to be some intellectual, when all we want is a kick ass rocker!

but...even with out the over blown so called righteous messages he is trying to portray...the music is just poop....

I think it's hilarious how these pop-rock groups like SOAD, Green Day, etc think it's groundbreaking making an album criticizing the government. If anything, the government's become an easy target for these MTV bands whose audience is primarily teenage morons that don't know any better. I might be forgiving if the music was somewhat decent, but, when you're talking about a band as terrible as SOAD, that's hardly the case.

O-Factor
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Well put :toast

BeerIsGood!
11-01-2007, 11:31 AM

I've got a simple message for those that don't like a type of music:

Dont. Listen. To. It.

Let the people who enjoy it enjoy it, and go off and listen to whatever the hell you want. I can't stand today's hip hop but I also don't go into threads touting hip hop music just to shit on the people that do.