PDA

View Full Version : does boston take nfl, nba and mlb?

td4mvp3
10-21-2007, 11:44 PM
it's not out of the realm of possibility that boston's patriots win the superbowl, that the red sox, freshly into the world series, win it for the second time, and that the revamped celtics ride garnett to glory. how insane would that be? i don't think the spurs win it this year, i still don't think we beat the mavs or houston, but the idea of boston getting the trifecta just struck me so i felt like sharing.

Fillmoe
10-21-2007, 11:48 PM
could be....

lefty
10-21-2007, 11:57 PM
NFL and MLB Yes....

NBA no fucking way in the world

word
10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Single elimination in the NFL playoffs. I recall one other Randy Moss team that was a shoe in for the super bowl. Anyone remember the missed Anderson FG/chip shot against Atlanta ? Anything can happen and the Rockies are on a frickin' ROLL man. 22 of the last 24 or something like that. And I agree, Boston won't win the east, is my bet. KG, something about that dude....and of course our favorite whiner. Not exactly a deadly duo.

stretch
10-22-2007, 12:33 AM
I like the Red Sox to win, but I have a feeling something is going to go wrong for the Pats, as great as they look. And the Celtics may get to the finals, but they aren't winning it all.

ShoogarBear
10-22-2007, 12:44 AM
And you forgot . . . B.C. is #2 in the BCS. :spin

Xylus
10-22-2007, 01:06 AM
2008 could be Arizona's year...theSuns have a legit chance, the DBacks are an up-and-coming contender, and the Cardinals...

*Takes another puff, passes*

Flopper
10-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Fuck the red sox

Reggie Miller
10-22-2007, 09:50 AM
MLB = I wouldn't care to wager against the Rockies at the moment, but the Red Sox are definitely the better team "on paper."

NFL = The Patriots are playing better than the Colts at the moment, but do not have the overall depth of the Colts on offense. In other words, they are two injuries away from the same shaky offense that cost them the AFC title game last season. That said, the Patriots' defense is considerably better. All of the pundits are making this out as a two team race, but both teams have had an amazing run of luck concerning major injuries. It seems like the law of averages might catch up with one or the other this season. Nothing is ever a lock in the NFL.

NBA = Even assuming the Celtics gel immediately, it is nearly impossible to come out of left field and win a championship. At least, there isn't much precedent for it in basketball. The Celtics have a decent chance to win the ECF, but their lack of depth will kill them against most WC teams. I would like their chances better if Pierce and Allen were true "two-way" stars, but both are conscientious objectors on defense.

NHL = The Bruins are not the worst team in pro hockey, but they are damn close. (I realize this wasn't mentioned in the original question, but I hate the Bruins, so there!)

td4mvp21
10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Could happen. The Celtics can very well win the Championship, I don't know why people say its impossible. The fucking Miami Heat won in 2006. Enough said.

SpursFanFirst
10-22-2007, 09:59 AM
it's not out of the realm of possibility that boston's patriots win the superbowl, that the red sox, freshly into the world series, win it for the second time, and that the revamped celtics ride garnett to glory. how insane would that be? i don't think the spurs win it this year, i still don't think we beat the mavs or houston, but the idea of boston getting the trifecta just struck me so i felt like sharing.

You can have the MLB, but the NBA belongs to the Spurs, and the NFL belongs to the Colts. Nice try.

Thunder Dan
10-22-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm not ready to crown the Celtics. They have 3 good players, but depth is what wins in the playoffs and as far as I can tell they don't have too much of that.

Chris Childs
10-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Another one of these joke threads......

First off....

The Colorado Rockies will put a mashing on the Red Sux. 4 game sweep - 5 games at max

The New Cheatin Patriots will dominate like _Allas did and win 16 games, than bow out in the AFC finals against the colts

And the most overrated team this season by far the Boston Failtics won't even make the playoffs, and if they do they will get knocked out of the first round.

Fuck Boston........and its gay teams.

It's all about New Yawk!!

REAL FUCKING TALK!!

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
It will be the first time in a while where Boston sports didn't have one big red headed step child there. The Pats are definitely the front runners right now, but there are about a million ways for key guys to get hurt badly in football. I can't think of a single time that I've made an NFL championship pick before December with any kind of confidence.

Baseball- I think the series will look a lot like the ALCS. The Rockies will have a lead at some point in the series but the Sox will wake up and play like they know they can.

NBA-I'll give them a better than average shot at the finals, but the only way they'll have a prayer is the WC champs getting seriously worn out and busted up by the competition. They could have a shot against a Spurs, Mavs, or Suns team that has been put through a pair of lengthy series by the other two teams, but I'd still doubt it.

I'm sure that if the Celtics win their season opener Bill Simmons will be all too happy to explain why this scenario is so feasible.

JamStone
10-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Likely won't happen but it really is entirely possible.

I like the Rockies over the Red Sox because of MoJo, but Red Sox have a very good shot if not a better shot to win the WS.

Pats look unbeatable but the Superbowl might be the hardest to win because of, as mentioned already, the single elimination format in the NFL playoffs.

Celtics likely won't win it all, and they probably won't even get to the NBA Finals, but you can't count them out. They aren't as likely as the Pats winning the Superbowl or the Red Sox winning the World Series, but in the NBA, strange things can happen in the playoffs. I would have never guessed that the Pistons would win in 2004 before that season or even before the playoffs started that year.

Sports are unpredictable. Boston has great odds at winning a World Series, already being there, and the Patriots have the best chance of any NFL team to win a Superbowl. But, the Celtics, a much tougher and longer road before we can really start calling them contenders, let alone favorites for a NBA title.

It could happen, but I'd be very surprised to see it.

703 Spurz
10-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't see Boston winning the World Series so to answer your question...

No

lefty
10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
2008 could be Arizona's year...theSuns have a legit chance, the DBacks are an up-and-coming contender, and the Cardinals...

*Takes another puff, passes*

No

J.T.
10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I hope Boston gets nuked in Season 7 of 24.

leroyjenkins
10-22-2007, 07:28 PM
has any city ever done that? win all three in the same year?

plus even if boston college doesnt play in the ncaa championship, its still impressive to have four teams in one city all contending

Flo-Rida
10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Another one of these joke threads......

First off....

The Colorado Rockies will put a mashing on the Red Sux. 4 game sweep - 5 games at max

The New Cheatin Patriots will dominate like _Allas did and win 16 games, than bow out in the AFC finals against the colts

And the most overrated team this season by far the Boston Failtics won't even make the playoffs, and if they do they will get knocked out of the first round.

Fuck Boston........and its gay teams.

It's all about New Yawk!!

REAL FUCKING TALK!!
nigga fuck you it all about Flawda da Gunshine state

The_Game
10-23-2007, 04:09 AM
I'm not ready to crown the Celtics. They have 3 good players, but depth is what wins in the playoffs and as far as I can tell they don't have too much of that.

Since when? Depth wins in the regular season. The starters win in the post season. Most teams go to 6 players late in the playoffs. Boston have the starters to win it all. They may not but it is stupid to say they have no chance. THEY HAVE kg now for godsake with Pierce and Allen as the next options. You are a fool (not you but people in general) if you think they have no shot at all.

ShoogarBear
10-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Since when? Depth wins in the regular season. The starters win in the post season. Most teams go to 6 players late in the playoffs. Boston have the starters to win it all. Tell that to Mike D'Antoni.

To get HCA, the Celtics may have to play KG, Pierce, and Allen 36+ MPG during the regular season, which will spell burnout in the playoffs.

Reggie Miller
10-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Tell that to Mike D'Antoni.

To get HCA, the Celtics may have to play KG, Pierce, and Allen 36+ MPG during the regular season, which will spell burnout in the playoffs.

Not to mention the fact that even one key injury would finish them. Depth is always important. As ShoogarBear mentions, look at the Suns/Spurs 2007 playoff series.

I seem to recall that the Spurs completely wiped the floor with the Cavs, who also lacked team depth. Yes, the Cavs didn't have three all-stars, but they did have a commitment to team defense and rebounded well. The Celtics really don't have that commitment (at least for the present), and there is no guarantee that all of their big three will be in top form if they have to log major minutes.

Ignoring the 2006 Miami Heat for a moment (the "Shaq Exception"), the Pistons have had the most long-term success in the EC in recent years. Like the Cavs, the Pistons had a commitment to team defense and rebounding. Unlike either the Cavs or Celtics, the Pistons have not had even one "superstar." (Statistically, Ben Wallace came pretty close in the 2004 postseason, but since he is not a scorer, no one noticed.) However, the Pistons' first 6 were all considerably better than average or replacement-level players. In other words, they always had at least one mismatch somewhere, even if it varied from game to game.

The object of the game is to outscore your opponent, not to score as many points as possible. The Celtics have three "superstars," assuming one would elevate Allen and Pierce to this level. (I wouldn't, for what it's worth.) Two of these guys probably shouldn't be on the court at the same time until the fourth quarter (Allen and Pierce), because their games are too similar. At any rate, we can presume that the Celtics will be fielding 2-3 elite players at a time. That leaves 2-3 other serious matchup problems, becuase the Celtics will be fielding the equivalent of replacement-level players at those positions. In other words, these guys better learn to play team defense, and the quicker the better.

Obviously, there are some pretty awful teams in the EC that are also fielding a lot of replacement-level players. I don't doubt that the Celtics will have quite a few blowouts that make SportsCenter this season. (The Pacers have almost no chance of hanging with the Celtics, for example.) However, the elite teams will absolutely chew up the Celtics and spit them out because of their depth and subsequent mismatches.

Oh, Gee!!
10-23-2007, 09:50 AM
it's a good year to be a bostonian

m33p0
04-29-2008, 05:17 AM
hmm... let's see.

patriots lost to the giants ...
the ball went through red sox 1st baseman bill buckner's legs...
and there's a distinct possibility the hawks will pull an upset on the celtics...

quite possible.

spursfan09
04-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Boston is showing the world that you still have to play the game.

BiZNicK
04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
They will all suffer the same fate...

Hyped up because of the regular season and choke in the playoffs....(See: Patriots 18-1)

TampaDude
04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Ya know, I thought I would never see a choke as massive as the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS...then along came the 2007 Patriots... :lmao

Fuck all things Boston.