PDA

View Full Version : Fires in Southern California

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 03:28 AM
It's fucking nuts. There are like 10 of them. I live right near one, we had to leave work and we almost had to evacuate our house :o

Anyone else live around here?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-22-2007, 04:20 AM
If the fires are threatening your area, pack up everything you can't replace and have it ready to go because you may have to leave at a moment's notice. Bushfires can move extremely quickly.

Good luck, and take care.

Mister Sinister
10-22-2007, 05:54 AM
I get kind of the opposite up north. Extreme cold as opposed to extreme heat, but nowhere near as dangerous as a brushfire.

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 05:58 AM
If the fires are threatening your area, pack up everything you can't replace and have it ready to go because you may have to leave at a moment's notice. Bushfires can move extremely quickly.

Good luck, and take care.

Yeah all our stuff is packed up. duncan228 made sure of that. There's been no evacuations in our area yet, but places both north and south of us are getting evacuated. I don't think we'll have to leave, I think it's calming down.

Summers
10-22-2007, 06:01 AM
I hope you and your family are safe! Keep us posted.

Walter Craparita
10-22-2007, 09:31 AM
i hope the whole place burns up

:toast

duncan228
10-22-2007, 01:34 PM

There are 13 fires now.
The one 2 blocks from my house is arson.
Voluntary, not mandatory, evacuation at 4 am.
My bags are still packed. The winds are still gusting.
The fire is not contained. You can't breathe outside.

Some fuck with a sense of humor decided to light a fire with Santa Ana winds gusting 80mph.

It's really a laugh when you need to decide what you can take of your entire life, after the kids and the pets.
Just what you can carry, just what you can fit in your car.

I know what I chose.
Have you ever given it a serious thought?

duncan228
10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh...To the other posters I know are in Southern California...I hope you're all okay.

Summers
10-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Here's hoping you don't have to hit the road. Sorry y'all are going through that.

MoSpur
10-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I hope everything turns out okay.

clambake
10-22-2007, 02:37 PM
sandwiched between 2 fires right now. had a close call in lexington estates. it's just to the northside of thousand oaks. firemen did great.

arrowhead is screwed

peewee's lovechild
10-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Everytime I read the title to this thread I read "Fries" instead of "Fires". I guess I'm hungry.

midgetonadonkey
10-22-2007, 02:42 PM
I know a couple of people that I wouldn't mind throwing in those fires.

With that being said, stay safe!

Shelly
10-22-2007, 03:17 PM
My friends sister and cousin who are in the San Diego area had to evacuate. When Lake Arrowhead was on fire a few years ago, my parents had to evacuate. They weren't allowed back for two weeks.

Duncan228, are there fires around you in Irvine/OC? My parents live in San Juan Capo, but they haven't said anything about fires nearby.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-22-2007, 03:20 PM
I talked with my friend whose parents live in Irvine and she said that while there was a fire about 15 minutes away from their house, the FD had that one under control.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Duncan228, are there fires around you in Irvine/OC? My parents live in San Juan Capo, but they haven't said anything about fires nearby.

We're in Irvine, the fire is less than a half mile from us in the Portola Hills. It's gone as far as the Foothills, can't tell you the direction that is (forgive me, very little sleep.)

Still 30% or less contained, still can't breathe, ashes falling outside. The winds are what's making it so hard to contain I think. They're still gusting but not nearly like yesterday.

I've been through earthquakes but never has a "natural" disaster had me this scared for this many hours.

The firefighters are stretched thin due to 13 fires in OC. They're doing a great job, I just hope they can keep it up. No injuries that I've heard of so far for this fire.

Shelly
10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I talked with my friend whose parents live in Irvine and she said that while there was a fire about 15 minutes away from their house, the FD had that one under control.

That's good to know!

I wouldn't be surpised if someone starts a fire off Ortega Highway. That's usually an annual event. Idiots.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Irvine's big.(Population and area.) What side are they on?
I"ve been waiting to hear the words "under control" and haven't yet.

Shelly
10-22-2007, 03:28 PM
We're in Irvine, the fire is less than a half mile from us in the Portola Hills. It's gone as far as the Foothills, can't tell you the direction that is (forgive me, very little sleep.)

Still 30% or less contained, still can't breathe, ashes falling outside. The winds are what's making it so hard to contain I think. They're still gusting but not nearly like yesterday.

I've been through earthquakes but never has a "natural" disaster had me this scared for this many hours.

The firefighters are stretched thin due to 13 fires in OC. They're doing a great job, I just hope they can keep it up. No injuries that I've heard of so far for this fire.

I'm pretty sure that's east...like if you were going towards Saddleback Mountain or Coto de Caza area geographically speaking.

Stay safe!

Shelly
10-22-2007, 03:31 PM

Irvine's built up so much. When we first moved to OC, it was still mostly orange groves. Every time I go home, OC has new cities.

clambake
10-22-2007, 03:35 PM
san diego needs a miracle. they're in deep shit. we'll be fine here. firemen were great.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-22-2007, 03:36 PM

I'm not exactly sure. I didn't realize Irvine was large, I just know that's where my friend grew up and that her parents were still there.

Mulchie
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM

Move to Helotes Texas!

duncan228
10-22-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not exactly sure. I didn't realize Irvine was large, I just know that's where my friend grew up and that her parents were still there.

Like Shelly said, it's big. 200,000+ people, I don't even know how much area.
When we were here in the 80's, again like Shelly said, it was Strawberry Fields Forever. I didn't recognize it when we came back last year and I'm just a few blocks from where I used to work back then.

All I know is I can see the flames and the smoke from my house. My son's work was police evacuated 7pm last night, the fire was behind that center. That's less than a half mile from my door.

The best I'm getting is still 30% contained.

Shelly
10-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Like Shelly said, it's big. 200,000+ people, I don't even know how much area.
When we were here in the 80's, again like Shelly said, it was Strawberry Fields Forever. I didn't recognize it when we came back last year and I'm just a few blocks from where I used to work back then.

All I know is I can see the flames and the smoke from my house. My son's work was police evacuated 7pm last night, the fire was behind that center. That's less than a half mile from my door.

The best I'm getting is still 30% contained.

Yikes! Hope the wind dies down and they catch the bastards that started this.

I lived in Irvine for a month. We had campus housing at UCI when my husband was an undergrad. It was so awful that I had to move :lol I still remember the orange formica countertops.

TxJudsonRocketTx
10-22-2007, 03:47 PM
I was there for the fires in 03-04 when San Bernardino was getting it really badly and I lived near Loma Linda, I honestly cheered for the fires because I hated living in California so much so I figured if the house burned down I could go home to Texas. Didn't happen of course but whatever, hope everyone is safe, seeing peoples homes and possessions burn up is never good especially in cities like San Diego that are really nice places to spend time in

DON VITO
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
I am in San Diego. We are on fire. I live in Pacific Beach. My school was closed today (USD).

TheSanityAnnex
10-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Just got off the phone with my parents. Right now they are fully packed and ready to leave any moment. My dad and brother have been outside hosing down the roof for the last hour. The fire is about 2 miles away from them right now. Fires suck.

I have tickets for this weeks Chargers game as well. If the game is relocated I'm fucked out of my plane tickets and game tickets. :pctoss

Fuck you fire.

TheSanityAnnex
10-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I honestly cheered for the fires because I hated living in California so much so I figured if the house burned down I could go home to Texas. Once again, you prove how much of a fucking moron you are.

Phil Hellmuth
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM
aw the air quality is horrible here in long beach.

TxJudsonRocketTx
10-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Once again, you prove how much of a fucking moron you are.

:depressed oh no my feelings are hurt.

Hope your family is ok.

Phil Hellmuth
10-22-2007, 04:45 PM
I honestly cheered for the fires because I hated living in California so much so I figured if the house burned down I could go home to Texas.

say that to the families who lost a home. Or that one person who died.

TheSanityAnnex
10-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Hope your family is ok.The entire town of Fallbrook was just told to evac. They're on the road now heading to Laguna.

Shelly
10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
I just talked to my mom and she said their pool is a mess with ash and they finally had to close the windows, etc. Hopefully, no one sets a fire off Ortega Hwy, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone does.

Shelly
10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5719546

duncan228
10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
I just talked to my mom and she said their pool is a mess with ash and they finally had to close the windows, etc. Hopefully, no one sets a fire off Ortega Hwy, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone does.

We had the windows shut all night per the city's statement.
We opened them a little while today but had to close them again. It's bad inside but it's worse outside.

Shelly
10-22-2007, 05:13 PM
We had the windows shut all night per the city's statement.
We opened them a little while today but had to close them again. It's bad inside but it's worse outside.

She said that she can't really smell the fires, but everything is really gritty.

How long are the Santa Ana's supposed to be around. The bad thing about them is that the wind can shit at anytime.

I can't remember, what are the called in Northern CA? Is it Diablo winds?

TheSanityAnnex
10-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Just read that the some of the winds have changed directions and if they continue to stay like that it would be a great help. Natures own way of stopping a fire.

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 05:17 PM
sandwiched between 2 fires right now. had a close call in lexington estates. it's just to the northside of thousand oaks. firemen did great.

arrowhead is screwed

Yeah the fireman kicked major arse around here too.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 05:20 PM
She said that she can't really smell the fires, but everything is really gritty.

How long are the Santa Ana's supposed to be around. The bad thing about them is that the wind can shit at anytime.

I can't remember, what are the called in Northern CA? Is it Diablo winds?

I can smell it, taste it, feel it. Sweeping soot off my floors.
The Santa Ana's kicked up yesterday, I hadn't even heard they were coming. I did hear they're supposed to die down around 6 our time. I hope that helps the firefighters contain it more.

Lived outside San Jose for years, but can't remember what the winds were called.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Just read that the some of the winds have changed directions and if they continue to stay like that it would be a great help. Natures own way of stopping a fire.

From your keyboard to God's ears... :toast

Bandit2981
10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Glenn Beck: "A handful of people who hate America...are losing their homes in a forest fire today."

What a douchebag.

Beck's Comments (http://mediamatters.org/items/200710220003?f=h_latest)

Mulchie
10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Glenn Beck Burns me up!

baseline bum
10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Fuck, I drove up to Santa Barbara and back earlier today (from Westwood), and I saw four fires: One in Malibu, one west of Augora Hills, one near Santa Barbara, and one by Magic Mountain. The air was difficult to breath miles away from the actual fires; I can't imagine what it's like for y'all in OC.

I thought LA had it bad, but San Diego has 250,000 people evacuated right now.

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 07:04 PM
:cry :cry :cry

hurricanes. every year. boo-fucking hoo

Yeah! Let's see which natural disaster makes you cooler! You definitely win elpimpo! Gratz!!

baseline bum
10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
:cry :cry :cry

hurricanes. every year. boo-fucking hoo

Yeah, I hate it when some jackass decides to start a hurricane near people's homes.

Xylus
10-22-2007, 07:30 PM
oh no the scawy fiwe is gonna get my housey!
This is the stupidest post I think I've ever seen on a message board, ever.

Annnyway, I had plans to go to San Diego this weekend with my girl... doesn't look like that'll be happening, eh?

missmyzte
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
A lot of people effected that I work with, including one guy who watched his house burn down on TV.

Here's an overall map of the fires from ABC 7:
http://www.mistilynn.com/temp/Picture2.jpg

Here's a couple pictures I took yesterday ... it was like looking through iodine, the air was so thick and so dark.

http://www.mistilynn.com/temp/Castaic_fire2.jpg

http://www.mistilynn.com/temp/Castaic_fire3.jpg

marini martini
10-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I can't believe how horrible this must be. I have several friends near many of these fires. You will all be in my prayers.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the pics missmyzte. I know you're in SoCal, but I forget exactly where.
Hope your safe.

The fire near us has moved to Lake Forest, there are homes burning there.
We are safe at the moment.

It's really frightening. Our thoughts and prayers are with all touched by these fires in anyway, whether you're near them or have family/friends near them.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 09:37 PM
I can't believe how horrible this must be. I have several friends near many of these fires. You will all be in my prayers.

Thank you.

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 09:39 PM
I took some pics right as the one near my work started.

http://www.jentsproductions.com/Images/Stuff/photo.jpg

http://www.jentsproductions.com/Images/Stuff/photo2.jpg

http://www.jentsproductions.com/Images/Stuff/photo3.jpg

http://www.jentsproductions.com/Images/Stuff/photo4.jpg

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Whoops. Lemme get those links into images. Gimmie a sec. Stupid yahoo.

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 09:42 PM
There we go.

TheSanityAnnex
10-22-2007, 09:44 PM
My parents just left the house they were at and told me they just drove through flames on both sides of the road to get to the freeway. Their house is probably burning down as I type this. Fuck.

Shelly
10-22-2007, 09:45 PM
What city are you in Kyle?

Shelly
10-22-2007, 09:46 PM
My parents just left the house they were at and told me they just drove through flames on both sides of the road to get to the freeway. Their house is probably burning down as I type this. Fuck.

That really sucks. I'm glad they got out.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 09:48 PM
:cry :cry :cryhurricanes. every year. boo-fucking hoo

oh no the scawy fiwe is gonna get my housey!

looks like plain ol' smog to me

Take it to the fucking Troll Forum.
In case you didn't notice this is real and affecting a lot of people.

I get your humor, I usually appreciate it.
It has no place here. This is the Club, people are scared, there's lots of posters on ST from Southern California.
If you don't care, or don't think it's worthy of your reading stay the fuck out of the thread.

Some of these fires are natural. Some are arson. All are frightening. All are out of our control and frightening like hurricanes or earthquakes or tornados. It's not about on upping each other. It's a thread to share information. To make sure other posters in the area are okay. To get some comfort from a place that feels like family.

Please, can you respect that here?

duncan228
10-22-2007, 09:51 PM

Shelly, that's the Irvine fire that was 2 blocks from my house.

Shelly
10-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Shelly, that's the Irvine fire that was 2 blocks from my house.

Holy cow! Have the winds died down at all?

duncan228
10-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Holy cow! Have the winds died down at all?

They're calmer here than they were, but the forecast had said they would subside tonight and now they're saying not until Wednesday.
Lake Forest is the bad spot now, the winds moved it faster than the FD could contain it.

That's what it looked like at my house from 6 last night through mid afternoon today.
The air seems better now but the smell is horrible.

The school district sent an email that there will be school tomorrow for my kids but no outdoor activities until furthur notice.

Sapphire
10-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Oh my God, I can't believe they expect people to send their kids to school in that. We get a few icicles and bam! the city shuts down. I don't think I would want my kids out of my reach with all that going on.

marini martini
10-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Shelly, being from Cali., you must be sick with wonder for family and friends safety, my prayers are with you sincerely, and all the folks here on the board

CuckingFunt
10-22-2007, 10:21 PM
The winds always make fire season scary in LA. When I was in high school, there was a bad fire that got close enough to Altadena that several of my friends lost their homes and my mom and I had to be prepared for an evacuation. It's not a fun feeling.

Good luck to everyone in the area.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Oh my God, I can't believe they expect people to send their kids to school in that. We get a few icicles and bam! the city shuts down. I don't think I would want my kids out of my reach with all that going on.

I'm with you, I like mine here when there's imminent danger. Especially when the winds can change things in a minute.
I'll decide in the morning if I actually send them.

Sapphire
10-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm with you, I like mine here when there's imminent danger. Especially when the winds can change things in a minute.
I'll decide in the morning if I actually send them.

Stay safe! I can not even begin to imagine how scary that must be. Maybe it's time to move to Texas? We only have a little bit of flooding from time to time.

I will keep everyone there in my prayers.

missmyzte
10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the pics missmyzte. I know you're in SoCal, but I forget exactly where.
Hope your safe.

The fire near us has moved to Lake Forest, there are homes burning there.
We are safe at the moment.
I'm in Thousand Oaks, right between the Castaic and Malibu fires. The pictures I posted were from yesterday during the Moorpark fire, which thankfully didn't last long. I'm safe here but my job covers all of So Cal so there are a lot of people I'm worried for. Glad to hear you are safe as well.

Winds up here haven't died down at all, still blowing like crazy (according to weather.com, it's 20-25 mph). I heard on the news the winds were over 100 mph in some spots today. 300,000 homes evacuated. Madness.

angel_luv
10-22-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm in Thousand Oaks, right between the Castaic and Malibu fires. The pictures I posted were from yesterday during the Moorpark fire, which thankfully didn't last long. I'm safe here but my job covers all of So Cal so there are a lot of people I'm worried for. Glad to hear you are safe as well.

Winds up here haven't died down at all, still blowing like crazy (according to weather.com, it's 20-25 mph). I heard on the news the winds were over 100 mph in some spots today. 300,000 homes evacuated. Madness.

I do not like you anywhere near those fires.

Glad you are safe. I will pray for both your and all your friends well being. :)

Kyle Smith
10-22-2007, 11:11 PM

Yeah, I'm in Irvine, Shelly.

duncan228
10-22-2007, 11:46 PM
How close it was to us.
All the orange, both dark and light is the fire.
We live near the corner of Culver and Irvine Blvd., a couple of blocks towards the fire.
My son was evacuated from work where the word Portola appears at the top of Culver.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/fire.gif

TheSanityAnnex
10-22-2007, 11:49 PM
The golf course I played at all through high school is gone. Two of my friends houses are gone.

TheSanityAnnex
10-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Crap. This is where my parents live.

"Fallbrook has been made the number one priority for the State of California, according to North County Fire Public Information Officer John Buchanan. Buchanan said, "The situation is very bad. It's grim and we need a lot of help." At that time, Pala Mesa Resort was fully engulfed in flames and Valley Oaks Mobile Home park on Reche Rd. is reported as a total loss. according to fire officials. With the 2 airtankers not being available after dark, a call has gone out to Nevada, Northern California and other locations asking for an additional 100 fire engines and strike teams. Flames were heading west through Reche Rd. and on Camino Zara and flames were climbing embankments toward Wilt Road. Flames continue to be fought on the hillside behind River Glen at I-15 and Pala Rd. There have been several explosions from propane tanks."

duncan228
10-22-2007, 11:51 PM
The golf course I played at all through high school is gone. Two of my friends houses are gone.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
This is tough stuff.
I hope your friends and family stay safe.
It's hard to think of all their belongings and their houses gone.
But if they're okay it's the best outcome.

TheSanityAnnex
10-23-2007, 12:46 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
This is tough stuff.
I hope your friends and family stay safe.
It's hard to think of all their belongings and their houses gone.
But if they're okay it's the best outcome.Thanks.

Their answering machine is still working so that is a good sign.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks.

Their answering machine is still working so that is a good sign.

Where were your parents evacuating to?

TheSanityAnnex
10-23-2007, 12:59 AM
They went to a friends house in Temecula.

duncan228
10-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks.Their answering machine is still working so that is a good sign.

Is there anyway you can contact them? Cell? Email?
Do you know what shelter they would have gone to?

Any help I can offer I'll be happy to do.
Find shelter info for the area, whatever.
PM me if you don't want to put too much personal info in the thread.
If we know their address we can find the shelters.

duncan228
10-23-2007, 01:00 AM
They went to a friends house in Temecula.

Never mind my previous post.
I'm glad you know where they are and that they're safe.

TheSanityAnnex
10-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Never mind my previous post.
I'm glad you know where they are and that they're safe.Thanks for the offer anyways.

I've been in contact with them since this morning and they are all safe. So far, it sounds like their house may be alright, but it is depressing to talk to friends I grew up with and they tell me their parents house is gone. I feel especially bad for a close friend of my parents who's house was only two weeks away from finishing the complete remodel.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-23-2007, 01:10 AM
I just spoke with my friend and she said her parents aren't too affected by the fire, but that there's also one where's she at that's just outside San Luis Obispo county.

duncan228
10-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the offer anyways.

I've been in contact with them since this morning and they are all safe. So far, it sounds like their house may be alright, but it is depressing to talk to friends I grew up with and they tell me their parents house is gone. I feel especially bad for a close friend of my parents who's house was only two weeks away from finishing the complete remodel.

It's hard, I know.
I hope their house stays safe.
And I'm glad no one you know has been hurt.
It sounds harsh, but the house can be replaced. I hope they have insurance.
Their lives are more important than even those material things that can't be replaced.
Were they able to take some things, pictures or other important items?

T Park
10-23-2007, 02:03 AM
What a douchebag

Far from it. Dont let that stop you from saying something about someone you don't know though.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Far from it. Dont let that stop you from saying something about someone you don't know though.

I'm not going to threadjack here, but how many people have you done that to before?

Hell, we've all pretty much done it at some point in our lives... but don't come running to Glenn Beck's defense because he spouted off something harsh against lib'ruls.

slayermin
10-23-2007, 02:30 AM
I hope everyone is safe. These damn fires. I wish you could predict them.

ChumpDumper
10-23-2007, 03:40 AM
Good luck out there. I enjoyed my time out there. I hope none of my friends lose their homes -- again in some cases :depressed

duncan228
10-23-2007, 06:05 AM
for real, hope nobody's stuff burned up :tu

Thank you. :toast

Our house if okay.
TSA's folks were evacuated, he has friends whose houses burned to the ground.
I guess we'll got more info as the day progresses.

Sapphire
10-23-2007, 06:35 AM
I just spoke with my friend and she said her parents aren't too affected by the fire, but that there's also one where's she at that's just outside San Luis Obispo county.

That's getting too close for comfort. My mom lives in San Luis Obispo. The county is huge, though, so hopefully they will get it contained before they are in any danger.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-23-2007, 07:23 AM
My thoughts go out to all of you. In 2003 Canberra had a firestorm which consumed 500 houses in an hour and luckily only killed 4 people. I've never seen anything like it - flames 50m high. What you are going through is absolutely horrible.

Shelly
10-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Shelly, being from Cali., you must be sick with wonder for family and friends safety, my prayers are with you sincerely, and all the folks here on the board

Thanks, but my none of my family is near any fires. The closest would be my parents to the Irvine fire, but they aren't in that immediate area.

Shelly
10-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Glad your parents are safe, TSA.

And for those of you that don't understand about the Santa Ana winds...back in 96-97, there was a fire around Lucadia, CA (Oceanside area). We were living in Tucson at the time and I remember opening the paper and seeing an AP blurb with a picture about a woman who's house burned down. I recognized the name as it was my dad's former boss's wife.

They thought their house was safe and out of the blue the wind shifted and it was gone.

How's the wind this morning?

CubanMustGo
10-23-2007, 09:16 AM
How's the wind this morning?

CNN says the Santa Ana is supposed to be bad for a couple more days and that relative humidities continue in the single digits. :depressed

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20071023-0214-bn22fire9.html

Witch Creek fire's toll so far: 750 homes destroyed or damaged

145,000 acres burned
By Greg Gross
and Pauline Repard

2:14 a.m. October 23, 2007

SAN DIEGO – The Witch Creek fire burning across northern San Diego County has left a grim toll: 500 homes destroyed and 250 damaged; 100 commercial buildings destroyed and 75 damaged; 50 outbuildings destroyed and 50 more damaged.

At least 145,000 acres have burned, authorities said Monday.

“It's going to get worse. It's probably the worst fire this county has ever had, well worse than the Cedar fire,” Sheriff Bill Kolender said in a news conference.

County Supervisor Ron Roberts put the number of evacuees at 250,000 people. About 61,000 of those live within the city of San Diego.

“I think there's a very good possibility it will reach the coast before it's finished,” said Bill Metcalf, chief of the North County Fire Protection District.

With fires burning in other parts of Southern California, President Bush declared an emergency for the seven-county region early Tuesday, a move that would hasten federal disaster relief.

Seven firefighters and one civilian were hurt in the Witch Creek fire, which began Sunday east of Ramona and is menacing neighborhoods in San Diego, Poway, Ramona, Escondido, Valley Center, San Marcos, Rancho Santa Fe and Lakeside. About 625 firefighters are battling the fire.

Earlier Monday evening, state fire officials reported 70 houses destroyed in Escondido, 50 in Poway, six in Rancho Santa Fe and untold numbers in Rancho Bernardo.

Evacuations have been ordered from Del Dios Highway south to Sorrento Valley and Black Mountain Road west to the ocean, San Diego fire spokesman Maurice Luque said at 8:30 p.m.

The head of the fire, blown west from Poway by savage Santa Ana winds, had been headed for Fairbanks Ranch but took a turn southwest toward Del Mar Heights and Solana Beach, where residents also were told to evacuate. Carmel Mountain Ranch and 4-S Ranch also are considered threatened.

The south end of the fire has been pushing toward Lakeside, western Alpine, Peutz Valley and Harbison Canyon, but has not reached any of those communities, said Capt. Don Camp of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, or Cal Fire.

Northbound lanes of Interstate 15 remain closed between state Route 78 in Escondido and state Route 79 in Riverside County. Southbound lanes of I-15 are open at El Norte Parkway.

Police have orders not to allow anyone into Scripps Ranch after mandatory evacuations were ordered. Residents are being urged to go to the evacuation center organized at Qualcomm Stadium, said police spokeswoman Monica Muñoz.

Advisory evacuations have been ordered for five neighborhoods in Del Mar: the east side of Crest Road, Oribia Road, San Dieguito Road, Avenida Primavera and Serpentine Drive, a county official announced about 6:20 p.m.

Residents in all other neighborhoods within Del Mar are encouraged to prepare to evacuate to Qualcomm Stadium in Mission Valley.

The highly unpredictable flames pushed into the northeast section of Poway during the day, prompting evacuation of Palomar-Pomerado Hospital.

Westview High School, which opened as an evacuation center for residents, was forced to close by the approaching flames, and the evacuees there were sent to Qualcomm.

An emergency shelter has been established at the Poway Community Center at 13094 Civic Center Drive. Large animals can be brought to the Poway Valley Riders Association Arena, also known as the Poway Rodeo Grounds, at the corner of Tierra Bonita Road and Poway Valley Road.

At the Wild Animal Park, a spokesman said some animals were being moved overnight into the park's hospital for their protection.

The Helen Woodward Animal Center in Rancho Santa Fe, which has both an animal hospital and a popular pet boarding center, evacuated all its animals as well as staff and volunteers.

MiraCosta College closed all three of its campuses in Oceanside and Encinitas in a bid to help lighten the traffic burden on local highways, said college spokeswoman Bonnie Hall.

Other blazes

The Witch Creek fire is the largest of several noteworthy fires bedeviling the county.

The Harris fire has burned about 25,000 acres near the community of Potrero near the U.S.-Mexico border. One person was killed, 16 civilians and five firefighters were injured in the blaze, which has swept west toward Otay Lakes and the northeast edge of Chula Vista.

The county Medical Examiner's Office identified the dead man as Thomas Varshock, 52, of Potrero. His body was found shortly after 2 p.m. Sunday. Officials at UCSD Medical Center confirmed that it also was treating Varshock's 15-year-old son, who suffered burns on more than 50 percent of his body.

The Harris fire was threatening Proctor Valley Road by late night as well as the northeastern Chula Vista neighborhoods of Bella Lago, the Woods at Eastlake, areas of San Miguel Ranch and areas of Rolling Hills Ranch were affected.

Officials said they were trying to keep the flames away from the East County communities of Barrett Lake and Deerhorn Valley.

The Rice fire, which started in Rice Canyon east of Fallbrook and Interstate 15, raged westward across 1,500 acres, destroyed 50 homes and damaged 30 others and forced evacuation of Fallbrook. Residents have been leaving through Camp Pendleton and were urged to turn north to San Clemente.

The McCoy fire, located on U.S. Forest Service on Cuyamaca Mountain, was fully contained at 400 acres.

A blaze in the Coronado Hills of San Marcos was fully contained at 300 acres.

The UCSD burn unit also is handling 12 other patients from the county's fires:

Four firefighters – three in critical condition and one in fair condition

Eight civilians – four in critical condition, four in fair condition and one in good condition

The patients suffered burns and/or respiratory problems due to smoke inhalation.

The firefight

In other actions, the Navy authorized two of its SH-60 Seahawk helicopters from North Island Naval Air Station to join the seven firefighting helicopters already making water drops on the fire, Cal Fire officials said.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said conditions in California – dry heat, low humidity and high winds – have combined to create “the perfect firestorm.”

“This is a tragic day for San Diego County and for California,” he said.

Schwarzenegger said he asked the National Guard for assistance and they will be reassigning 800 Guard soldiers from duties at the border to assist in evacuations.

“I just want to say that anything the mayor needs, anything San Diego needs, we are there,” he said. “We are partners in this. The state and the federal government. Everyone is coming together to help.”

clambake
10-23-2007, 09:57 AM
winds picking up again. the fire in Piru is headed toward Fillmore, which will move through Simi and Moorpark. smoke and ash are heavy. right in the path, again.

oh well.

midgetonadonkey
10-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Is FEMA going to set everyone up with trailers?

midgetonadonkey
10-23-2007, 11:29 AM
I just read that the people that have been evacuated to Qualcomm Stadium are being entertained by bands, served buffets with gourmet food and getting treated to massages. That's just fucked up. The people of New Orleans couldn't even get water.

TheSanityAnnex
10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
completely different situations midge.

Found out the house made it, others weren't as lucky

midgetonadonkey
10-23-2007, 12:14 PM
completely different situations midge.

Found out the house made it, others weren't as lucky

What makes them different? Both involve people that have to be evacuated from their homes because of a natural disaster. The difference is the primary race and wealth of one area versus another.

TheSanityAnnex
10-23-2007, 12:25 PM
What makes them different? Both involve people that have to be evacuated from their homes because of a natural disaster. The difference is the primary race and wealth of one area versus another.
the difference is no roads are closed, nothing is flooded, and most businesses are still open.

duncan228
10-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Our fire, the Santiago, has moved to Lake Forest. Bad scene there, houses burning.
500+ Firemen on scene.
Winds still heavier than I had heard they'd be, supposed to stay at least through Wednesday night.
We're okay if the winds don't switch direction. Can still see smoldering spots from my house but don't see flames at this moment. They still say 30% contained.
The city has opened schools, no outdoor activities until furthur notice. They actually want everyone to stay inside, the air quality is bad.

Just mopped the soot off my floors. Haven't begun to think about where it is in the rest of the house.

I'm grateful to be on the other side of it, hopefully for good.
My thoughts and prayers are still with those in the thick of it.
It's horrible.

inconvertible
10-23-2007, 12:37 PM
no place like SA

http://www.favorsyoukeep.com/images/SanAntonio_skyline.jpg

duncan228
10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
At least none of you fools are in San Diego. This is where it is the worst.

I know it is GiG.

I was actually mentioning your name around midnight last night, knowing I hadn't seen you on the board in a while and I thought you were in San Diego.

Stay safe.
Don't be a hero, if they evacuate where you are get out.

inconvertible
10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
How about Scripps Ranch? My daughter was evacuated...is it on fire?

CubanMustGo
10-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Here is a good, fairly recent (1030AM CDT) map of what's happening where:

http://www.latimes.com/media/graphic/2007-10/33409419.jpg

peewee's lovechild
10-23-2007, 02:08 PM
I just read that the people that have been evacuated to Qualcomm Stadium are being entertained by bands, served buffets with gourmet food and getting treated to massages. That's just fucked up. The people of New Orleans couldn't even get water.

That is some real bullshit.

clambake
10-23-2007, 02:27 PM
the ranch fire is 2.5 miles from Fillmore. they are ordering evacuations. shit, that means it could plow through and meet up with the nightsky fire. red skies at night.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Isn't this old hat for Cali residents?

Plus, they get the double whammy of flooding/landslides/mudslides in the spring.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm surprised the Harris fire hasn't been blamed on illegal immigration.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-23-2007, 03:37 PM
I just read that the people that have been evacuated to Qualcomm Stadium are being entertained by bands, served buffets with gourmet food and getting treated to massages. That's just fucked up. The people of New Orleans couldn't even get water.chances of this being mentioned in the mainstream media. probably none. this is pelosi's state, right? double standards alive and well.

clambake
10-23-2007, 03:42 PM
chances of this being mentioned in the mainstream media. probably none. this is pelosi's state, right? double standards alive and well.
you think bush wants americans to hear how this is being handled and compared to his New Orleans fiasco?

don't worry, he didn't run off to a golf resort in Arizona this time.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-23-2007, 03:46 PM
chances of this being mentioned in the mainstream media. probably none. this is pelosi's state, right? double standards alive and well.

Civility Reigns at San Diego Stadium

Oct 23, 7:40 AM (ET)

By SCOTT LINDLAW

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Like Hurricane Katrina evacuees two years earlier in New Orleans, thousands of people rousted by natural disaster fled to the NFL stadium here, waiting out the calamity and worrying about their homes.

The similarities ended there, as an almost festive atmosphere reigned at Qualcomm Stadium.

Bands belted out rock 'n' roll, lavish buffets served gourmet entrees, and massage therapists helped relieve the stress for those forced to flee their homes because of wildfires.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-23-2007, 03:51 PM
compared to his New Orleans fiasco?
i'm no bush lover, but "his"?.......am i reading that right? "his" fiasco?

TheSanityAnnex
10-23-2007, 03:54 PM
San Diegans do disasters right.

T Park
10-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Sweet, who is paying the bill for the food? or is it being donated.

T Park
10-23-2007, 04:00 PM

he has a weather controlling machine, did you not know that?

clambake
10-23-2007, 04:03 PM
so, you were impressed with his effort? hey, look, I know what you mean. anyone that expects much from him is delusional. i think he could have said he was involved instead of saying he wasn't, especially when video showed him to be involved in the decision making process. and he topped off that bold move by jumping in a plane and heading to a golf resort in Arizona instead of, at least, watching the dying faces of his people begging for help.

but he just announced that he will be coming to Cali to view the disaster.

he's on his way for the photo op.

Richard Cranium
10-23-2007, 04:06 PM

Does it matter? Or are you afraid your tax dollars are paying for it?

10-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Link to a file you can upload that will overlay imagery of the fires onto Google Earth (http://itu.dk/people/thy/conus.kmz)

Viva Las Espuelas
10-23-2007, 04:18 PM
he has a weather controlling machine, did you not know that?is al gore aware of that?

TheSanityAnnex
10-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Sweet, who is paying the bill for the food? or is it being donated.From what I'm hearing donations. People actually came down to donate so much that they had to tell them they weren't accepting donations for the time being, they had enough food.

Funny how some think the government is putting on these concerts in Qualcomm. The people of San Diego are just rallying together to battle another horrible season of wildfires. It just goes with living down there, it is something you have to deal with.

Shelly
10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I was gonna say that I suspect it was donations. I heard on the news that a lot of businesses were donating things, etc.

Bug in Whottt's ass
10-23-2007, 05:07 PM

God forbid if any of them are unemployed!

peewee's lovechild
10-25-2007, 05:23 PM
The Vice President shares his sympathy with SoCal.

http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_298084123.html

duncan228
10-25-2007, 09:10 PM
The Vice President shares his sympathy with SoCal.

http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_298084123.html

They're all here. Arnold. Bush.
We've been upgraded from a "Federal Emergency" to a "Federal Disaster."

The air quality is so bad the Public Health Department went from "Young children, elderly, and people with respitory illnesses should stay indoors" to "Everybody stay indoors."

My kids school district sends email updates daily. Yesterday they were about the quality of the air inside the buildings (they're not letting them do PE or eat lunch outside.)
Today, they cancelled school for the entire district for tomorrow. I assume that means the inside air wasn't so great either.

For an entire district to close their schools you know it's a serious issue.

Yesterday afternoon the ashes were falling from the sky so heavy it looked like snow.

marini martini
10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
I got an e-mail from my friend in Orange Cnty. She said the same thing. Have to turn on the a.c. & close the windows. Here's hoping this sh*t ends soon. :toast