PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe: Elson making new adjustment

Bruno
10-22-2007, 03:39 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102207.SpursElson.en.3765601.html

Web Posted: 10/21/2007 11:55 PM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

It was just one missed rebound in the middle of the third quarter of a meaningless preseason game.

But as he buttoned the cuffs on a neatly pressed dress shirt after the Spurs defeated the Detroit Pistons at AT&T Center on Saturday night, Francisco Elson explained how a Pistons rookie named Cheikh Samb had managed to snare a missed shot he felt he had positioned himself to grab.

"When I look up," Elson said, "sometimes I see double. That's why I keep missing some rebounds."

Occasionally wondering which of two basketballs to rebound has been the worst of the adjustments Elson has had to make while getting accustomed to a protective mask he must wear for the remainder of his basketball career. The mask protects the orbital bone around his left eye, fractured this summer while Elson competed for his native Holland in a tournament in Europe. Removing it for the sake of an additional rebound or two is not an option.

"I broke my eye socket, and if I get hit one more time, that's my vision you're talking about," Elson said.

The mask also makes it hard for Elson to clear sweat from his eyes now and then, but it does not seem to have affected his shooting even slightly, and the Spurs are happy about that. The 7-foot center has one of the softest jumpers of any of the league's big men. He made six of eight shots in the first half of the Spurs' 104-80 exhibition victory on Saturday, three from mid-range.

If Elson, now in his fifth season, shoots more from the perimeter than at any time in his career, it will be with the blessing of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

"Last game I told him, 'If you don't get up 10 jumpers I'm going to waive you,'" Popovich said after Saturday's game.

"I told him, 'You've got to shoot it. You're a hell of a shooter.'"

When the Spurs re-thought their center situation after the 2005-06 season, Elson was the player they most coveted. They loved his speed and his shooting stroke, though he rarely was allowed to demonstrate his perimeter accuracy for the Nuggets.

"If you think back, he was our first guy," Popovich said. "We went after him right off the bat in free agency and made the offer and then waited to see if Denver was going to match it. We loved his speed and his length and felt he was a good shooter. We loved all those things, and because of that we went to work with him."

The Spurs believed Elson had been under-utilized in Denver. There were suspicions he had been disrespected by some of his teammates to the point his confidence was nearly non-existent. The Spurs' staff went to work rebuilding his basketball ego.

"We thought one of the things we wanted to do was show confidence in him and show him the respect we thought would help him be a better player, if he felt better about himself," Popovich said.

"When he first got here we didn't think he felt real good about himself as a player. We made sure we were hard on him — we wanted to make sure he learned the system and all that. But at the same time, we talked with him a lot so he would know exactly where we were coming from so he'd know we cared about him whenever we were saying something of a critical or of a positive nature."

When Elson arrived in San Antonio he renewed a working relationship with shooting coach Chip Engelland, with whom he had worked in Denver. Elson believes his shot is more reliable. More importantly, he understands the importance of shooting whenever he is open.

"Coach says if you don't shoot when you're open it's a wasted possession, so you have to shoot it," Elson said. "So that's what I'm doing."

Elson also feels more comfortable in the Spurs' system.

"Last year, just like most people, it took him a year to figure out the system," Popovich said. "This year he's not thinking about the system. He's playing basketball within the system, which he understands."

"You know exactly where and when your shots can come from," Elson said, "and where not. I tend to pick out my spots and feel more comfortable most of the time.

"I'm excited about everything right now, so I can't wait for the regular season to start."

Bruno
10-22-2007, 03:43 AM
Elson can really help Spurs against teams like Dallas, Phoenix or Lakers. If he plays well this year, it will be great and it could be what will allow Spurs to repeat.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Look for an Oberto-like leap in effectiveness from Elson this season.

The guy has always had skill, now he's comfortable, and next comes contribution.

It's the Way of the Stonecutter. :tu

duncan7721
10-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Make him look like a black George Mikan...give him some glasses. If that helps.

xcoriate
10-22-2007, 06:02 AM
:lmao @ Pop's quote about building his confidence, Elson gets blasted more than any other player on the team by coaching staff and players alike.

wildchild
10-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Elson can really help Spurs against teams like Dallas, Phoenix or Lakers. If he plays well this year, it will be great and it could be what will allow Spurs to repeat.

I don't know against Suns. Pop went back to starting Oberto in the series against Phoenix. Elson got lost his job because he played crap defensive on Amare.
Well, I think his contribution this year'll be important in other match-ups.
Effectiveness? vs Detroit (without Wallace, Weber, Mohammed) Cisco 6/13FGM 46%, good but not amazing.

SenorSpur
10-22-2007, 09:06 AM
He showed his outside shooting touch on several occasions last season - particularly during an impressive road victory versus Detroit. He's got good range and form on his shot, he just needs to shoot with confidence. Looks like his continued work with Englend is paying dividends. Also glad to hear Pop and the coaching brass are encouraging him to shoot. A similar tactic they used with Rasho.

His speed on the break will be a key weapon in transition again this year. Tony seems to look for him frequently. It's on the defensive side where he needs to make his biggest improvement. He's got to make his rotations consistently and not get caught out of position. Personally, I still believe he can be a suitable matchup against a guy like Dirk.

I expect big contributions from Elson this year.

MoSpur
10-22-2007, 09:29 AM
I hope this past season was just a learning season for him and hope he improves his defense this season.

whottt
10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I'll say this for Elson...

He tends to get some of the most brutally painful injuries and bounce back from them relatively quickly.

The mask might actually help his willingness to get in there and bang more often...

No doubt Elson has talent, he's really coordinated and fast for a bigman....

And there are really no holes in his game talent wise....his issues are with consistency, especially consistent effort.

For some reason it seems like winning a title has brought about a change in his attitude....like he's commited himself to being worthy of playing on this team, and possibly taking the starting job.

Whereas last season he didn't seem to have much expectation of himself, and seemed just happy to be here...seemed almost like if he'd been IR'ed he would have just smiled and said ok cool. This year it seems like he wants to spend more time on the court.

I'm not sure how many minutes Elson can handle, because he's so thin....but he can have a huge impact on this team if he learns how to bring his best game consistently...

picnroll
10-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Good thing is he has an entire season to hone his understanding of the Spurs system. Rmemeber it wasn't until the later part of last season that Oberto started coming on.

whottt
10-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Rmemeber it wasn't until the later part of last season that Oberto started coming on.

I think Oberto could have helped us his first year here....Pop just didn't have much faith in him.

I remember one of the playoff games against Dallas Oberto got some decent minutes and made an impact, actually did a fairly decent job of defending Dirk....Pop said he probably earned more court time....and it never happened.

Pop even said he didn't realize how good a player Oberto really was his first year here.

"His coach got smarter", I think that was how Pop put it.

picnroll
10-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I think Oberto could have helped us his first year here....Pop just didn't have much faith in him.

I remember one of the playoff games against Dallas Oberto got some decent minutes and made an impact, actually did a fairly decent job of defending Dirk....Pop said he probably earned more court time....and it never happened.

Pop even said he didn't realize how good a player Oberto really was his first year here.

There were still times, particularly throught about February where a majority were saying Oberto was no answer to the Spurs' big man needs. I suspect people will still be sying Elson sucks from time to time throughout the season but hopefully by playoff time he's in synch. With his agility and a steady outside shot if he can play the Spurs' rotating D it's a whole different ball game

Dingle Barry
10-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Elson needs to improve his rebounding. He is almost always in good position for the board, but often misjudges the carom and looks foolish. Perhaps he can enroll in a physics course.

wildbill2u
10-22-2007, 02:29 PM
When he is doubleteamed, Timmy needs for the center to be able to take a shot or drive to the basket when he gives up the ball. Oberto got a lot of easy baskets on that because he was smart enough to take the pass and shoot.

It sounds like he is learning and the coaches are encouraging him to take those opportunities. When Elson becomes comfortable with that, he will be more valuable.

timvp
10-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Elson can really help Spurs against teams like Dallas, Phoenix or Lakers. If he plays well this year, it will be great and it could be what will allow Spurs to repeat.If Elson's play is the difference between championship and no championship, this could be a pretty scary season.

Seriously though, there is no reason to not think that Elson will be better this season. He has a year under his belt, a championship ring on his finger and a coaching staff that likes when he shoots. Last season, he averaged 5.0 points and 4.8 rebounds. If this season he can average seven point and six rebounds, that'd be quite nice.

That said, what I really care about is his defense. Last year he was basically clueless on the defensive end and that's what led to his benching in the playoffs. In the preseason, his offense still seems to be ahead of his defense.

Come next year's playoffs, I want Oberto on the floor as much as possible. Elson doesn't strike me as a clutch player at all, at either end of the court. He'll be good for some production during the regular season ... then again, pretty much any NBA quality center with a year under his belt in the Spurs system should be halfway decent.

timvp
10-22-2007, 03:10 PM
There were still times, particularly throught about February where a majority were saying Oberto was no answer to the Spurs' big man needs.I think Oberto's problem during the regular season was his energy level. Like I said a lot last year about Oberto, he played like a zombie for long stretches.

In the playoffs, he brought consistent energy and concentration. Perhaps his problem in the regular season was adjusting to playing an 82 game schedule. Perhaps he's lazy during the regular season like Horry. I guess we'll find out this season.

1Parker1
10-22-2007, 03:10 PM
He'll be good for some production during the regular season ... then again, pretty much any NBA quality center with a year under his belt in the Spurs system should be halfway decent.

Cue Rasho Nesterovich and Nazr Mohamed. :)

Darkwaters
10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
We discussed in a previous thread whether we thought Elson would be brought back next season. The more I think about it I would probably be ok with that. But Elson would probably see his PT slide a bit as Splitter gets integrated. But while I have been harsh on Elson as a starting or backup center, as a 4th or 5th bigman in the rotation (with 2 years Spurs experience) he would be awesome. I just hope this season bears some fruit for him.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Again, I think Elson's overall rebounding rate was fine for the number of minutes he played. This preseason he's rebounding at a Tim Duncan rate, but I expect it to be about the same as last year. I just want better defensive rotations and maybe some more jumpers from him this season.

SenorSpur
10-22-2007, 04:06 PM
We discussed in a previous thread whether we thought Elson would be brought back next season. The more I think about it I would probably be ok with that. But Elson would probably see his PT slide a bit as Splitter gets integrated. But while I have been harsh on Elson as a starting or backup center, as a 4th or 5th bigman in the rotation (with 2 years Spurs experience) he would be awesome. I just hope this season bears some fruit for him.

Like yourself, I want to see Elson continue to thrive - even beyond this season. He's quite possibly the 2nd best shooting big on the team from 15ft and in, behind Duncan of course.

Also, do not forget the standard 1-yr acclimation that it takes for most players to learn the Spurs system and the growing pains that come with it. Therefore, don't expect immediate fruit from Splitter when he arrives next season.

For that reason, it's quite possible that the Elson/Oberto center combination will be the most effective one at the 5 spot even after Splitter's arrival.

nfg3
10-22-2007, 04:14 PM
With a year in the SYSTEM he should be able to cintribute more. How much is the question. Offensively I see him making more shots ( if the current trend continues) thereby spreading the floor more. This will make life easier for TD and others. But as TIMVP stated it his defense which remains my biggest concern. How he contributes on this end is where he can make the biggest impact. He was pretty lost at times last year and erbounding needs to improve.

With Splitter coming next year he had better improve significantly or he's gone. If Ian improves significantly with the Toros this season he might just be gone period.

SenorSpur
10-22-2007, 04:17 PM
With a year in the SYSTEM he should be able to cintribute more. How much is the question. Offensively I see him making more shots ( if the current trend continues) thereby spreading the floor more. This will make life easier for TD and others. But as TIMVP stated it his defense which remains my biggest concern. How he contributes on this end is where he can make the biggest impact. He was pretty lost at times last year and erbounding needs to improve.

With Splitter coming next year he had better improve significantly or he's gone. If Ian improves significantly with the Toros this season he might just be gone period.

Even with Ian's expected improvement and Splitter's arrival, there's still room on this team for Elson. Provided his contributions are consistent and his defense is ever-improving.

wildchild
10-22-2007, 04:31 PM

On that I agree. I remember a game of regular season in 2005/2006. Robert injured and Fabs was played very well.

I don't know why Pop wasn't using Fabs hustle (2005/2006).

He steps it up in big games.

timvp
10-22-2007, 05:31 PM
What if the following situation plays out:

1) Elson plays as well as expected and can be had for a reasonable contract next summer.

2) Horry again plays well in the playoffs and doesn't want to retire.

3) Mahinmi plays well in Austin and shows good potential.

4) Splitter either has to be brought over or else his contract is automatically extend with Tau (which is actually the case).

5) Oberto and Bonner prove that they are worthy of their contract.

6) Duncan remains Duncan.

What should the Spurs do if all six above points are true next summer? You simply can't have an NBA roster with seven bigmen. Even six is stretching it.

How would you solve that riddle?

Thanks.

:hat

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
I doubt Horry has another season in him, but in that case, you trade one of the bigs for something else you need. Not that difficult.

timvp
10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I doubt Horry has another season in him, but in that case, you trade one of the bigs for something else you need. Not that difficult.Which one?

And yeah, it's not difficult answering a question without actually answering anything and instead throwing out a vague hypothetical.

:king

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Which one?
Not Duncan.

timvp
10-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Which one?

And yeah, it's not difficult answering a question without actually answering anything and instead throwing out a vague hypothetical.

Not Duncan.

Can you get any more vague?

Thanks.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Why should I be specific? We haven't even started playing this season yet.

I am being no more vague than you were in stating your hypothetical.

timvp
10-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Not Duncan or Manu.

Thanks.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Or Parker.

You're welcome.

timvp
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Or Pop.

I'm welcome.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
You never said anything about Pop's back next season, so I can't speculate.

timvp
10-22-2007, 05:54 PM
I can't speculate.Apparently not.

whottt
10-22-2007, 05:54 PM
If you have that many bigs PT becomes a huge problem...you definitely want Horry as one of them in that case because he doesn't want or need a lot of minutes. Plus he can do anything you want him to do...he makes good passes, he can block shots, get steals, hit threes...he can also serve as an enforcer.

And he can be used to mentor the Spurs young bigs...

If Elson and Mahinmi both play welll...

Elson will go and Mahinmi will stay.

#1. They are similar players.

#2. If Elson plays well, he's going to be valued at more than just a "reasonable" contract.

#3. Mahinmi will be both younger and cheaper.

#4. Mahinmi potentially fits the Spurs d better. Looks to be a better shotblocker, looks to be a better rebounder.

Splitter's here next season as well. There's no hypothetical to it...you might as well go buy your Splitter jersey now.

I'll sort out Bonner, and Oberto later....

For right now I'll say if all play well, Horry, Mahinmi and Splitter are here for certain.

Elson is out...

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Apparently not.I already did, given the vagueness of your hypothetical.

Hemotivo
10-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Next season the spurs should sign splitter

SenorSpur
10-22-2007, 05:58 PM

1) Elson plays as well as expected and can be had for a reasonable contract next summer.

4) Splitter either has to be brought over or else his contract is automatically extend with Tau (which is actually the case).

What should the Spurs do if all six above points are true next summer? You simply can't have an NBA roster with seven bigmen. Even six is stretching it.

Thanks.

Great question, Timvp. My answers below

Sign him up.

As I've often said, after 2005 NBA Finals versus the Pistons, Horry can stay as long as he wants. :lol Seriously though, I'd be willing to give Horry another year if he wants to come back in 08.

At this moment, Ian still looks to be at least another year or two from being a contributing player. Assuming he can't participate for the Toros again in '08, I'd stash him away at the end of the bench for at least another year. Start working him into the full time rotation in '09. With this scenario, I'm assuming Horry will be gone.

I remember hearing the Splitter's buyout will be considerably less expensive next season than this season, which is why the Spurs elected to wait on him. The Spurs have publicly stated that Splitter will join them next season. No worries there. Bring him aboard. Of course, he will need at least 1 year of acclimation before he can be expected to become an every night contributor. Toros assignment and/or end of bench performer for '08.

5) Oberto and Bonner prove that they are worthy of their contract.Both were resigned for at least the next two seasons. Stay the course with these two.

6) Duncan remains Duncan
TD is the Sun for which the entire Spurs solar system revolves.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Besides, I've already written about which big is to replace whom in the future. In the unlikely event that Horry doesn't want to retire, it's pretty obvious Elson is the odd man out, because you say his replacement is going to be ready to play.

whottt
10-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Ya I come up with Elson too...

The funny thing is...he might be the most talented big on the roster after Duncan.

But he's over 30 and if he plays well, the market's idea of a reasonable contract and the Spurs idea of a reasonable contract are likely to be two different things.

Meanwhile...still looking for a young 2 guard.

whottt
10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
I dunno...afte pondering Oberto VS Bonner...

Bonner might end up being the oddman out.

He's got a unique skill set, and he hustles, at the same time...he's not a shotblocker at all, and he's too slow to ever be a great defender...

I guess it depends on if Splitter can hit threes.

Hemotivo
10-22-2007, 06:25 PM
I guess it depends on if Splitter can hit threes.
Right now he can't

picnroll
10-22-2007, 06:30 PM

Thanks.

Horry will retire or move on. Would be nice if he hung around on the coaching staff.

Mahinmi, I'd be amazed if he's ready to play next year for the Spurs. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he was never ready.

Splitter should take a year to learn the system before he's ready for significant minutes.

Oberto and Bonner will man the duties until Splitter and hopefully Mahinmi can.

Tricky one is Elson. If he improves, particularly on the defensive side it will be hard to see him go, given the immaturity of Mahinmi and Splitter but Elson will undoubtedly be looking for a longer term contract, especially if he can cash in on a good year.

... so I just can imagine your riddle unfolding.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I guess I may be overstating the value of a big man's being able to hit the three, but if Bonner is adequate in the other areas I don't see a reason to let him go. Elson's contributions would hopefully be duplicated in part by Ian and Splitter, and long small forward to be named later.

If Horry does retire though, might as well keep the rest. That is the assumption I'll be using until I hear different from Horry. The only thing he has really said is that he'll play for Dallas next season....

timvp
10-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Why should I be specific? We haven't even started playing this season yet.

I am being no more vague than you were in stating your hypothetical.

In the unlikely event that Horry doesn't want to retire, it's pretty obvious Elson is the odd man out, because you say his replacement is going to be ready to play.

ChumpDumper actually answered even though there was supposedly no reason to be specific. :wow

Props to whottt for taking the first step of giving his opinion on the possible scenario . . .

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 06:45 PM
As I said I had already answered this days ago.

Of course if Elson continues to rebound and score at his current rate, we'd be pretty stupid to let him go.

timvp
10-22-2007, 06:45 PM
As I said I had already answered this days ago.Link?

And why didn't you say that before you said there was no reason to be specific?

picnroll
10-22-2007, 06:49 PM
What if Elson has a nice year and some team gives him a Mikki Moore type offer?

ChumpDumper
10-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I said who was replacing whom days ago. The rest is simple math.

And there is no real reason to be specific since your hypothetical was pretty vague -- i.e., if Elson is a 12 and 7 guy in just over 20 minutes a game, that would still fit your hypothetical, but he woule be immensely more valuable to the Spurs than if he was a 5 and 5 guy in 19 -- which could also fit in your hypothetical.

So the answer riddle is "depends." If you care to be more specific what each player actually does this season, then we can narrow it down more. -- but like I said I expect Horry to retire, so it's not a real quandary to me.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Which one?

We're not WAY too old to have all of them, but we can't be thinking in like 3-4 years that we can win with what will be the geezers that we will have on our team. We've been good enough to win a championship with big men 30-34 years old, but in about 3-4 years they will be 34-38 and no championship team should have their big man rotation consist of guys of that age. Trade Horry and Elson for a young swingman. By that time Barry and Finley should be gone.

Obstructed_View
10-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Thanks.

Horry's getting a gold watch at the end of this season, repeat or no. If Elson has a good year the Spurs may not be able to afford to keep him. Splitter's coming no matter what IMO.

diego
10-22-2007, 09:02 PM
the answer is simple: the FO will choose the smaller contract between splitter and elson.

if elson has good enough a season to want to keep him, he will likely be substantially more expensive than splitter. therefore, the spurs will take splitter.

the only other scenario (besides the most likely, horry's retirement) that i can imagine is that mahinmi is a injury riddled disaster and they drop him for splitter. obterto and bonner are under contract so they are safe.

Bruno
10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
9 months ago, everybody was worried about the lack of quality bigmen around Duncan. 9 months later, people are speculating that Spurs could have too much quality bigmen next year. It's crazy how things go fast.

ShoogarBear
10-23-2007, 08:39 AM
I doubt Horry has another season in him, but in that case, you trade one of the bigs for something else you need. Not that difficult.Cause the Spurs are so good at trading bigs for something they need.

Maybe they can trade one to Houston for the rights to Calvin Murphy.

ShoogarBear
10-23-2007, 08:42 AM

Thanks.

:hatI think the best solution would be to gently prod Horry into retirement.

But the Peter Holt solution would be to not sign Elson.

Darkwaters
10-23-2007, 08:59 AM
9 months ago, everybody was worried about the lack of quality bigmen around Duncan. 9 months later, people are speculating that Spurs could have too much quality bigmen next year. It's crazy how things go fast.

Well, a lot has happened since then. 9 months ago Scola was still and option and Jackie Butler was the talk of the town. Tiago Splitter was more likely to be a Piston than a Spur and Ian was supposed to spend 1-2 more years in Europe. Bonner was less athletic and more one-dimensional, Elson's face was still in one piece and people were still complaining that we hadn't signed Robertas Javtokas.

Much has changed.

Darkwaters
10-23-2007, 09:10 AM
In my opinion Duncan, Oberto, Bonner and Mahinmi will have spots for certain in 08-09. Duncan and Oberto's contributions are self-evident, Bonner's unique skill-set makes him indispensible, and there is zero chance they will give up on Mahinmi after just one season no matter how he performs.

So that leaves questions of Horry, Elson and Splitter. Barring a Javtokas style injury, I see no reason for Splitter NOT to be in uniform next season. No matter how good Elson or Horry play this year the Spurs realize that Splitter is their future in the frontcourt. And after the Scola debacle they will not let him slip through their fingers. I doubt Horry will want to play another year, but I don't see the Spurs turning him down if he wants another go. They'll need good vets to mentor Splitter and Mahinmi.

So, once more, the odd man out is Elson. It is generally believed that either Splitter or Mahinmi will be able to replace his skill-set once they are up and going. If both of those guys are on the team then Elson is the most expendable. But if Horry retires then I have no problem keeping Elson....especially if he comes at a reasonable price and comes with the understanding that his minutes will likely be diminished once Splitter and the long 3 get here. If the Spurs are looking to keep Elson next year then he will likely be seeking a multi-year contract. So here comes the next big question:

If Horry retires and the Spurs bigman roster is as follows (Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Splitter, Mahinmi) then what type of contract do you offer Elson? How many years and how much money?

ShoogarBear
10-23-2007, 09:14 AM
9 months ago, everybody was worried about the lack of quality bigmen around Duncan. 9 months later, people are speculating that Spurs could have too much quality bigmen next year. It's crazy how things go fast. Well, the jury is still out on the "quality" of Mahinmi, Splitter, and Elson. And Oberto's quality is more reflective of the way he complements Duncan. So is more a question of numbers than quality.

Let's just say I'd trade any four of them for one Nenad Krstic or Udonis Haslem-type.

Bruno
10-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Well, the jury is still out on the "quality" of Mahinmi, Splitter, and Elson. And Oberto's quality is more reflective of the way he complements Duncan. So is more a question of numbers than quality.

I agree that the jury is still out. Elson and Mahinmi could end up as big scrubs.
It's still possible than Spurs bigmen "quality" won't be enough in the future but the situation seems to be way better than 9 months ago.

Bruno
10-23-2007, 09:37 AM
If Horry retires and the Spurs bigman roster is as follows (Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Splitter, Mahinmi) then what type of contract do you offer Elson? How many years and how much money?

It depends on Mahinmi.
A team usually carry 5 PF/C on the active roster.
Duncan, Oberto, Bonner and Splitter are almost locks to be in the rotation.
If Mahinmi is ready to be in the rotation next year, I think Spurs must sign a cheap vet as insurance and put him on the IL. If Elson is ready to sign for less than $2M per year, he could be a good solution.
If Mahinmi isn't ready and Elson has a quite good season, Spurs could offer him between $2M and 4$M per year with a 2 or 3 years contract.

polandprzem
10-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Too much talent and quality in a team is not a problem.

There are always a weak point in somebody and always you can say GTFO to him ...

ps. timvp will you find some time to answer to my PM I've sended like a week ago?

ChumpDumper
10-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Cause the Spurs are so good at trading bigs for something they need.With all the contracts they have signed, they are no longer limited in the number of years a contract they take back can have as they have in the past. There are many more possible trades open to the Spurs now.

diego
10-23-2007, 07:08 PM

more than saying we have quality bigmen, i'd say we have enough capable bigmen to suffice with duncan's quality. i guess before we didnt think duncan and a couple role players was enough in the middle- of course, horry and oberto showing up to the playoffs helped change minds. these decisions are more about getting younger, and covering needs within the cap. mahinmi and splitter are the prospects, bonner has a very specific niche and a new contract, and then you've got elson who up to now has underperformed. in all likelihood, horry will opt out making all of this moot. but if he didnt, and elson played really well, would the spurs go with elson and (trade?) splitter (more established player argument), or go with the cheaper rookie contract (finance first argument). does anyone really think they wouldn't go cheap?

also, they could try to sign and trade them both for someone else... but i doubt anything happens