PDA

View Full Version : Which player/s will disappoint this year?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-22-2007, 04:17 AM
Don't want to be negative, just wondering who you think might disappoint us this year?

I'll post mine later, need to think about it a bit, but to start off: Beno, for still being here. Get thee to a nunnery, young man! :lol

LEN BIAS 4EVER
10-22-2007, 04:46 AM
Big Shot Rob is who I'm worried about. He is getting up there in years but I hope he has enough left in the tank to Smash Nash again if need be (cause ya know Amare's stupid ass would still run out on the court again....)

duncan7721
10-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Big shot Rob will stink until the playoffs...well, not stink but not do as well as he can. Tim Duncan was saying that Rob never really cares...doesn't show up for practice...etc, etc...Then he gets put into a big game in the fourth and BOOM! It was at a press conference after Game 5 of the finals, 2005.

TDMVPDPOY
10-22-2007, 07:39 AM
you cant go wrong with beno udrih

SAGambler
10-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Well, Beno has pretty much been a bust for the past couple of years. The way I see it, he has nowhere to go but up.

So I really don't think Beno will be the one to "dissappoint" us.

Horry at the end of his career. So he really shouldn't be that much of a disappointment, no matter how he performs this year.

I see maybe Elson not playing up to his potential. Or Fin throwing up a lot of bricks.

I think to "disappoint" us it would have to be a big letdown in one of the first 6 or 7 in the rotation having a bad year.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Yup, Rob was the guy I was thinking about. I'll be happy if he plays very sparingly until February to let us see what the Red Rocket can give, then ease Horry into the rotation to get him fit and ready for the playoffs.

Fin is a bit of a worry too, but at least if he falters we have Barry and Udoka to fill the hole.

Otherwise, I think we look solid as hell! :tu

OTOH, I think we'll see improvement from Elson and Vaughn, and Udoka will fit in nicely.

wildchild
10-22-2007, 08:04 AM
If you love something, set it free. Pop and RC love Beno? :lol I would like Beno in other team with more rotation chances. In the Spurs Parker, Vaughn, Darius Washington? and Beno? :rolleyes

stretch
10-22-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't see how Beno can disappoint. He sucks. Are you guys saying he will be even suckier than his usual self?

Mister Sinister
10-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Wait, wouldn't disappointing for Beno be him *not* sucking, since we're all expecting him to suck, therefore garnering lulz at his expense because of said sucking, and disappointment when he doesn't suck and deny us the lulz?

tlongII
10-22-2007, 08:54 AM
All of the Spurs players will be disappointing this year. The only possible exception is Ime since he's a former Blazer.

ShoogarBear
10-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Greg Oden has been a disappointment so far.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Greg Oden has been a disappointment so far.
Agreed. I don't know what he did to piss off Nate McMillan, but according to the box scores he hasn't played in a single preseason game.

stretch
10-22-2007, 09:50 AM
He eats too much Raisin Bran before games.

Hemotivo
10-22-2007, 10:00 AM
manu

Reggie Miller
10-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Udoka. I think he will still be very good, but I think some fans' expectations are too high for this season.

urunobili
10-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Bonner... Book it

MoSpur
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
I say Barry. A lot of us expect him to shoot 100% from 3pt range.

1Parker1
10-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Finley.

SenorSpur
10-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Finley and Barry both.

Beno would be too easy of an answer because he's been a perennial disappointment.

Mr. Body
10-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Finley's on the downswing. He may not give much at all this year.

ShoogarBear
10-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Agreed. I don't know what he did to piss off Nate McMillan, but according to the box scores he hasn't played in a single preseason game.Has Joey Crawford being doing all the Blazer games?

dbreiden83080
10-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Beno is a LOCK to BLOW every year. Barry will as well i think he does not have much left in the tank, Finley i am a little worried about they need him more than Beno and Barry.

Walter Craparita
10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Barry. Just like every year.

nkdlunch
10-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Van Exel

coopdogg3
10-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Question: Have we gotten so used to dumping on Beno, that if he has a good year - that would be a disappointment?

MrChug
10-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Barry. Just like every year.

In watching 2 of his preseason games so far...the dude's just chucking it up there without thinking.

THAT'S WHAT WE NEED

I think he's going out with a BANG (that's from 3 by the way) this year. :hat

freemeat
10-22-2007, 03:33 PM
In watching 2 of his preseason games so far...the dude's just chucking it up there without thinking.

THAT'S WHAT WE NEED

I think he's going out with a BANG (that's from 3 by the way) this year. :hat

Um, yeah....I'm gonna go ahead and have to agree with you on that one.

That being said, Barry COULD be a big disappointment. But, if he's got the confidence to just chuck it up without hesitation (as it seems Pop wants), then he should be fine...

The ONLY disappointment in '07-'08 would be to not repeat!

AFBlue
10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
To disappoint would mean to not live up to certain expectations. With that in mind, I think Tony Parker might actually disappoint this year.

1) He's coming off an amazing finals performance with an MVP and displaying flat-out dominance. That's a high bar to jump coming into this season.

2) He has dealt with nagging injuries and didn't really have any time off before this grueling 82-game season and expected playoffs. And keep in mind that his backups are Jacque Vaughn and Beno Udrih....so he'll be averaging a team-high in minutes played for sure.

3) Defenses will continue to hone in on him and force him to make adjustments on the fly. It does help that he has TD, but he'll still need to elevate his game to keep his current production.

Bottom Line: By no means do I think Parker will have a sub-par year. If he stays healthy, I think he'll still have a very productive year and be a key reason that the Spurs get into the playoffs.

I just think there is potential for disappointment....relatively.

wildbill2u
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Mahninmi will be the biggest disappointment. Many will expect him to stay on the big club but he'll probably wind up on the Toros--and may not be the expected wunderkind even there.

Darkwaters
10-22-2007, 04:19 PM
PHAT TONY is wise.

Mahninmi will be the biggest disappointment. Many will expect him to stay on the big club but he'll probably wind up on the Toros--and may not be the expected wunderkind even there.

Ummm, I don't think anybody expects him to be anywhere except in Austin. The media has been broadcasting that fact for months and I can't think of a single person that has said otherwise on this forum. Where do you get that sending him to Austin would be a disappointment?

timvp
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm most worried about Finley at the moment. He hasn't looked very good in preseason and now that he's accomplished his goal of a championship, I wonder how he'll react. I'm also not sure he can survive physically playing 82 games and the playoffs as a starter.

And even though I hate to say it, Bowen is reaching an age that even the best conditioned athletes in the world start to lose a step . . .

Scola Trade
10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Scola will be disppointing for the Spurs FO everytime he has a huge game against us :bang

barbacoataco
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM
I think Finley could really drop off in production. Last year he started the season horrible, but did pick up as the season went on. I see Udoka as taking minutes from Finley, Barry and Bowen. Bonner will have the opportunity to play significant minutes, so he could be in the position to disappoint, or play well and disprove his doubters.

TMTTRIO
10-22-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm really curious how Manu's going to do this year. So far this preseason he's done alright and has looked pretty good but we'll see how he does when he took a whole summer to rest. We all saw what happened the last time he took that much time off. Plus just like Manu said one time it seems that the odd years he seems to play the best.

wildbill2u
10-22-2007, 08:23 PM
PHAT TONY is wise.

Ummm, I don't think anybody expects him to be anywhere except in Austin. The media has been broadcasting that fact for months and I can't think of a single person that has said otherwise on this forum. Where do you get that sending him to Austin would be a disappointment?
Listening to the Mahinmi cultists posts.

SequSpur
10-22-2007, 08:26 PM
stupid topic.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-23-2007, 01:34 AM
To disappoint would mean to not live up to certain expectations. With that in mind, I think Tony Parker might actually disappoint this year.

1) He's coming off an amazing finals performance with an MVP and displaying flat-out dominance. That's a high bar to jump coming into this season.

2) He has dealt with nagging injuries and didn't really have any time off before this grueling 82-game season and expected playoffs. And keep in mind that his backups are Jacque Vaughn and Beno Udrih....so he'll be averaging a team-high in minutes played for sure.

3) Defenses will continue to hone in on him and force him to make adjustments on the fly. It does help that he has TD, but he'll still need to elevate his game to keep his current production.

Bottom Line: By no means do I think Parker will have a sub-par year. If he stays healthy, I think he'll still have a very productive year and be a key reason that the Spurs get into the playoffs.

I just think there is potential for disappointment....relatively.

Indeed, Tony, nice reasoning and well said. TPis such a hard nut, an ultra-competitor, that he may surprise us all and actually be better again this year, but your scenario also makes sense.

I'm most worried about Finley at the moment. He hasn't looked very good in preseason and now that he's accomplished his goal of a championship, I wonder how he'll react. I'm also not sure he can survive physically playing 82 games and the playoffs as a starter.

And even though I hate to say it, Bowen is reaching an age that even the best conditioned athletes in the world start to lose a step . . .

Yup, what else does Finley have to strive for? He's got what he always wanted, and subconsciously he may take his foot off the gas. Thankfully we have plenty of backup there.

As for Bruce, I really hope you're wrong, but how many more years can he continue without losing a step? He's quite a marvel to be playing the way he is at 36! And he's rarely been better than he was in the playoffs last year!

Viva Bruce Bowen! :toast

As for you, Napoleon, STFU! :lol

STBN_CBN
10-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Duncan is on a downward slide and Parker greatly overachieved. Expect them to disappoint, if Duncan can even stay on the court.

LEN BIAS 4EVER
10-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Phoenix fan, Face it you are a natural born loser:

You lost the 1969 coin toss - Kareem won 6 nba titles... Neal Walk won a scrabble game once
You lost the greatest game in nba history - game 5 1976 Finals - good effort though
You lost The 93 Finals - Hey nobody was going to beat Jordan in his prime
You lost in 94 2nd round - cause your team leader was a fat ass not dedicated enough to lead his team to a title w/out Jordan around
you lost 2005 WCf's - Cause the Spurs are better
You lost your team Architect in Bryan Colangelo cause your owner is a dumbass
You lost 2006 WCF's - To Dallas
You lost 2007 2nd round - Did Duncan block another shot ??

You Entered this Earth without an NBA Title and you will leave this Earth without an NBA title Phoenix fan so just deal with it...

After all, you always have the Cardinals to fall back on

BeerIsGood!
10-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Duncan is on a downward slide and Parker greatly overachieved. Expect them to disappoint, if Duncan can even stay on the court.

I don't know if I'd be throwing that up there seeing as how Amare has knee surgeries at the same rate withered up white women in Beverly Hills get Botox.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-23-2007, 07:40 AM

Yup, keep on posting because you have sooooo much to contribute.

Duncan is 3-4 years away from sliding at all. He's 31 and doesn't rely on his athleticism to dominate games. 24/13 and 9 blocks in game 6 vs the Suns says he's anything but sliding.

Parker has improved every year in the league, but you wouldn't know that because you're an idiot.

Pick up your game pal. If you're going to troll, at least be entertaining. :rolleyes

urunobili
10-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Bonner will be dissapointing

BeerIsGood!
10-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Finley's probably going to be one of two things: 1) a pacified and satisfied player who realizes his career is behind him and goes out with a whimper, or 2) a guy who got the sweet taste and craves more, and is motivated as hell to get more. Hopefully it's number 2, but the chances are there he'll disappoint and go the first route.

hitmanyr2k
10-23-2007, 08:06 AM
As for Bruce, I really hope you're wrong, but how many more years can he continue without losing a step? He's quite a marvel to be playing the way he is at 36! And he's rarely been better than he was in the playoffs last year!

Viva Bruce Bowen! :toast

I don't really marvel at Bruce. Common sense says when you haven't had to score, rebound or be a playmaker for your entire career it's going to save a lot of wear and tear on your body.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-23-2007, 08:16 AM
I don't really marvel at Bruce. Common sense says when you haven't had to score, rebound or be a playmaker for your entire career it's going to save a lot of wear and tear on your body.

Sure, but lock-down defenders cop quite a bit from the guy they're guarding and going through screens.

Bruce's career essentially started very late - he only started logging regular NBA minutes at 29. That has certainly added to his longevity.

What I marvel at is that he hasn't lost a step. However, the amazing quickness of his feet and incredible instinctive positioning might compensate a little as he loses foot-speed.

I think he's got another year or two of high effectiveness to go, but when he goes he will go quickly (if he loses half a step he will lose his ability to lock players down).

ShoogarBear
10-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Duncan is on a downward slide and Parker greatly overachieved. Expect them to disappoint, if Duncan can even stay on the court.Sun Fan should worry less about who can stay on the court and worry more about who can stay off the court.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Sun Fan should worry less about who can stay on the court and worry more about who can stay off the court.
:lmao

xamila rey
10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Sun Fan should worry less about who can stay on the court and worry more about who can stay off the court.

man this is never gonna end :lol

STBN_CBN
10-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm not trolling, I'm just pointing things out to you. The fact is, the Spurs are a very old, very crippled team. Their talent level only decreases from year to year and sooner or later they won't be able to hip-check their way through the playoffs.

nfg3
10-23-2007, 02:53 PM
stupid topic.

Ditto! Season hasn't even started and we're already talking about someone who might go into the tank.

Considering the age factor on this tream this should be a midseason topic.

Reggie Miller
10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm not trolling, I'm just pointing things out to you. The fact is, the Spurs are a very old, very crippled team. Their talent level only decreases from year to year and sooner or later they won't be able to hip-check their way through the playoffs.

I realize that you are just a troll, but good trolling is like funny humor: it has to have some basis in reality. Exactly who on the Spurs is crippled?

Karma is going to bite you on the ass, Suns troll. You do realize that you have Microfracture Jesus and Grant Hill on your team, right?

Hemotivo
10-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Karma is going to bite you on the ass, Suns troll. You do realize that you have Microfracture Jesus and Grant Hill on your team, right?
ouch

STBN_CBN
10-23-2007, 03:20 PM
I realize that you are just a troll, but good trolling is like funny humor: it has to have some basis in reality. Exactly who on the Spurs is crippled?

Duncan has two bad ankles, plantar fasciitis, and some serious man boobs. If I were in that condition I would consider myself crippled.

smeagol
10-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Duncan has two bad ankles, plantar fasciitis, and some serious man boobs. If I were in that condition I would consider myself crippled.

You are mentally crippled.

MadDog73
10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Hopefully, Scola will disappoint, or there will be a lot of "disappointed" Spurs fans.

MrChug
10-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Um, yeah....I'm gonna go ahead and have to agree with you on that one.

That being said, Barry COULD be a big disappointment. But, if he's got the confidence to just chuck it up without hesitation (as it seems Pop wants), then he should be fine...
The ONLY disappointment in '07-'08 would be to not repeat!

Oh shit...well that's what I meant. I'm TIRED of him pump faking and passing it off. SHOOT THAT MO FO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ
10-27-2007, 09:48 AM
I doubt Bonner can contribute in key situations.

I have a feeling Udoka will not disappoint.

Beno is vastly underrated, not because he's that good but because he's so demeaned. He's a fairly solid point guard with a nice jump shot who couldn't get the ball up the court under pressure to save his life. Many worse than him have had nice careers and he can still help this team or be traded for something of value.