PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff SoulPatch's thread....good places to stay in Port Aransas/Rockport?

blizz
10-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Anyone have any tried and true recommendations?

samikeyp
10-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Port Royal in Port A. Awesome.

Soul_Patch
10-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I think Port Royal is way overrated. I dont like the fact that the majority of their rooms have no view of the ocean.

My favorite place i have stayed in Port Aransas is The Aransas Princess. This place is extremely nice, and some great ocean view condo's. downside is that it is pretty pricey, most rooms are at least 300 bucks a night, but if you are splitting the costs, it is well worth the money spent.

My second favorite place, and it is only slightly behind The Aransas Princess, is The Sandpiper. Great location, outside of town, so the beach is more prestine, and less traveled. Every room here has a fantastic view of the ocean, and great decks to lounge on off of your room. It is priced a little less than The Aransas Princess, i believe for 2 nights in mid september, we paid about 250 a night, for a 2 bedroom place.

They have a cleaning crew that go's out and cleans the beach in front of their place every morning early...and provide you with little cabana cover things, and beach furniture at no extra cost...this place was ideal!

samikeyp
10-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I liked Port Royal but we did have an ocean view and I got a hell of a rate being in the travel biz. Then again, that was 10 years ago. The restaurant was awesome and their facilities were great, but again, that may have changed.

leemajors
10-22-2007, 03:09 PM
my dad has a house in rockport, so i just stay there! :toast

i need to head down again soon, it's been 2 months.

blizz
10-22-2007, 03:19 PM
i'm not looking so much for luxury and/or beach views....just a decent place to sleep. we used to stay at this place called the sand and surf....just behind the dunes on 11th st. nothing fancy...infact from the outside it looked like crap...BUT the rooms were nice. they all have a full kitchen, two beds and a futon and we used to pay around $80 for them but they went up and i don't think they're worth what they're asking sooo i'd like to find another place. i've also stayed at the kon tiki in rockport which again, wasn't a 5 star hotel, but it was clean and comfy and that's all we needed at the time. my wife is in the travel biz as well but she's never been able to get us any rooms down there. the best she can do is a $50 a night stay at the omni in corpus christi but then we have to drive back and forth and that's a PITA.

Soul_Patch
10-22-2007, 03:21 PM
sportsman's Manor is nice in rockport. Although i have never stayed there, since my family has a place there, i have had friends that have.

Ive never stayed in anything other than nice stuff in Port A.

samikeyp
10-22-2007, 03:24 PM
There is a Best Western in Port A now. Its on Avenue G.

blizz
10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
There is a Best Western in Port A now. Its on Avenue G.
it's actually been there for a while and it's nowhere near worth what they want for a room and she's never been able to get an agent rate either.

samikeyp
10-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Ahh.....its been too long since I have been.

Yeah, BW is bad about agent rates.

LuvBones
10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Port Royal was awesome, and we had a beach view from the balcony.

blizz
10-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Port Royal was awesome, and we had a beach view from the balcony.
well aren't you just bad ass?

so.....now?

tlongII
10-22-2007, 04:25 PM
How long of a drive is it from SA to the ocean?

blizz
10-22-2007, 04:37 PM
about 2.5 hours

Summers
10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
i'm not looking so much for luxury and/or beach views....just a decent place to sleep. we used to stay at this place called the sand and surf....just behind the dunes on 11th st. nothing fancy...infact from the outside it looked like crap...BUT the rooms were nice. they all have a full kitchen, two beds and a futon and we used to pay around $80 for them but they went up and i don't think they're worth what they're asking sooo i'd like to find another place. i've also stayed at the kon tiki in rockport which again, wasn't a 5 star hotel, but it was clean and comfy and that's all we needed at the time. my wife is in the travel biz as well but she's never been able to get us any rooms down there. the best she can do is a $50 a night stay at the omni in corpus christi but then we have to drive back and forth and that's a PITA.

If you just want a place to sleep with a clean beach and good fishing, you could check out Port O'Connor. It's small and nothing special, but the beach is always clean and not crowded and the condos are cheap.

leemajors
10-22-2007, 06:29 PM
If you just want a place to sleep with a clean beach and good fishing, you could check out Port O'Connor. It's small and nothing special, but the beach is always clean and not crowded and the condos are cheap.
that's changing rapidly as the Texas gulf coast gets overdeveloped. they're making an island off of port o'connor - the lots sold at like 300-500K and are over 1 mill at this point.

Soul_Patch
10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I was amazed to see houses in Port Aransas are so damne expensive.

A small 1500 sqft OLD house was around 225,000.

Who the hell makes that kind of money in that town?!?

leemajors
10-22-2007, 06:39 PM
I was amazed to see houses in Port Aransas are so damne expensive.

A small 1500 sqft OLD house was around 225,000.

Who the hell makes that kind of money in that town?!?
i would imagine, like in rockport, most of the houses are owned by people who live elsewhere.

marini martini
10-22-2007, 09:38 PM
When in Port A, I love to go to the Salty Dog Saloon. They have real dogs sitting on the barstools at the bar. The owner I believe has a yellow beautiful lab.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-23-2007, 12:50 AM
man, i was just in rockport this weekend for a friend's wedding. i stayed at hunt's castle. it's no 5 star hotel, but i had a sideview room for 65 dollars a night. it's been awhile since i've been to the coast. it was pretty cool down there, but there's some funky looking people living down there. i can honestly say I didn't see any attractive women on friday.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-23-2007, 10:00 AM
on the weekends senor you must go to port aransas for the honeys

rockport is for fishing, and lazing, and boating if you have onei see

CosmicCowboy
10-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Everything on the island itself is relatively expensive. If you are just looking for a cheap, clean, place to crash with a good A/C the Neptune motel in Aransas Pass is hard to beat...In the 60's a night during prime time and cheaper off season. It's run by a nice old couple and you get that "mom and pop" type service.

I know an even better place with small 1-2 bedroom houses with kitchens, cable TV, good AC's etc. on a little park like lake in Aransas Pass thats in the same price range that I usually stay at (another mom and pop place) but I'm not letting the name of that honey hole out...theres not many places you can park your boat right outside the front door there...

I save my room money and spend it on eating and drinking well...