PDA

View Full Version : Number two option: Manu or Frenchie?

RobinsontoDuncan
12-20-2004, 02:14 PM
I think Manu has eveolved into the better scorer and his play ought to be recognized as the legit. 2nd option. Parker will eventually become a 20 a night guy, but manu could easily average that now, give manu the damn ball.

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 03:18 PM
I think Manu has eveolved into the better scorer and his play ought to be recognized as the legit. 2nd option. Parker will eventually become a 20 a night guy, but manu could easily average that now, give manu the damn ball.

That's what im sayin, give him the fucking ball.
He doesn't shoot that much.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-20-2004, 04:36 PM
i had a feeling this thread would be more appealin to argentinian posters

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 04:41 PM
i had a feeling this thread would be more appealin to argentinian posters
Yup. :drunk

ducks
12-20-2004, 04:44 PM
what does tp being from france have to do with anything?

ducks
12-20-2004, 04:46 PM
tp is currently shooting 57%

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 04:56 PM
TP is damn good.

You guys remember what he did in the play offs, he was on fire.

GrandeDavid
12-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Manu. I'm still high on his Olympic performance and highlight reel dunks and passes, slump or no slump. The man is a stud and must become the obvious second option here. Tony needs to focus on passing the rock and getting into the paint.

1Parker1
12-20-2004, 05:47 PM
What is up with all these Manu vs Tony threads? You guys realize that they are both on the same team, and play different positions and therefore don't have to compete for minutes right?

As for the second option, there's not going to be a consistent, one way answer to that question. The simple answer is that NEITHER are consistent enough to be considered for that role day in and day out. It all depends on which of them is having a better game that night, and Pop calling a play for him.

ducks
12-20-2004, 05:51 PM
hightlight reel dunks are nice but they do not win games

Phenomanul
12-20-2004, 05:54 PM
What is up with all these Manu vs Tony threads? You guys realize that they are both on the same team, and play different positions and therefore don't have to compete for minutes right?

As for the second option, there's not going to be a consistent, one way answer to that question. The simple answer is that NEITHER are consistent enough to be considered for that role day in and day out. It all depends on which of them is having a better game that night, and Pop calling a play for him.

^^^ I agree.... this will also depend on the matchup problems that the opposing team will pose.

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 06:00 PM

I agree ,
that's what i was thinking.
Whats up with this, manu vs tony, manu vs frenchie stuff?

They are both Spurs, and they are both on their way to another NBA Championship.

I remember someone saying how the NBA is an individual game, and i totally agree.
Football, hockey, baseball, they all are sports where the fans only care about the team winning, but in the NBA, we view everything individually.

Tony and Manu are on the same team.
Even if one is better than the other, who cares.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-20-2004, 07:48 PM
the frenchie was a joke but seriously i think we ought to make manu the number two option and that is beacause Tony ought to be a passing guard who creates and can score, not a Stephon Marbury type guard that scores but passes, uh, not so much. He needs to be a stronger playmaker but has never averaged 6 assists, something the spurs need to work on

SequSpur
12-20-2004, 08:03 PM
TP and Manu should've been traded for Vince Carter.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-20-2004, 08:23 PM
yeah your an idiot

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 08:58 PM
TP and Manu should've been traded for Vince Carter.

another retarded Sequ comment :smokin :hat :drunk :lol

spursfaninla
12-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Both have shown the ability to take over games.

Both are inconsistent.

Neither has taken the 2nd scoring option title decisively, however much the fans that favor either player would argue to the contrary.

Don't fool yourselves, Manu fans; though he has had streaks of brilliance, he is not a franchise player. If he was, he would have continued to average 20 ppg.

He hasn't.

And its not the fault of the offense, I don't want to hear that. He is a well rounded player, who COULD average 20 a game, but if he did we would not be more successful than we are now.

Same with Parker.

Our team is successful right now because we have scoring options. Whichever are playing well that night, and whichever he defense allows, we use; Duncan is the only part of the offense that we (realistically) cannot do without on a regular basis.

SequSpur
12-20-2004, 09:01 PM
I am serious.

Duncan + Carter = Dynasty.

Duncan + Manu + Parker = 0fer vs. Seattle, not good enought to beat Toronto, and 4 and out vs. the Lakers.

Unload em.

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 09:02 PM
I am serious.

Duncan + Manu + Parker = 0fer vs. Seattle, not good enought to beat Toronto, and 4 and out vs. the Lakers.

Unload em.
Duncan and Carter is not better than Duncan and Manu + Tony.

you're saying you would rather have Carter than Manu & Tony?

SequSpur
12-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Yes.

Carter = Allstar + Shoes + Apparel

Manu/Parker = Inconsistent + Time Warner + Taco Cabana

Definitely.

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Yes.

Carter = Allstar + Shoes + Apparel

Manu/Parker = Inconsistent + Time Warner + Taco Cabana

Definitely.

another classic retarded Sequ comment.

SuperManu!!!
12-20-2004, 09:07 PM
THis is a stupid thread.

deepsouth
12-20-2004, 09:25 PM
I am serious.

Unload em.
Sequ you are the ball buster supreme.
My compliments

Dalamar_the_Dark
12-20-2004, 09:42 PM
This is really a stupid thread agreed. TD is the franchise player here. We dont need a consistent second scorer. come on there are a few guys on this team that can get us 20 points a night. TPark can do it. Manu can do it. Bowen has done it before. Brown has been bringing it. Even Rose can get us 20 a night. So why worry?

I dont really care about a second 20 point scorer. Id rather have 3 to 4 other 12 - 15 point scorers. I think this season will be something like this cause we are passing the ball really well as compared to previous years.

Oh btw, TD hasnt reached 20 points in the past 2 games and it has like never happened so doesnt that mean that we will lose? Hardly cause everyone can step up on any given night. Dont think we will have many nights when everyone is ice cold.

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 09:43 PM
This is really a stupid thread agreed. TD is the franchise player here. We dont need a consistent second scorer. come on there are a few guys on this team that can get us 20 points a night. TPark can do it. Manu can do it. Bowen has done it before. Brown has been bringing it. Even Rose can get us 20 a night. So why worry?

I dont really care about a second 20 point scorer. Id rather have 3 to 4 other 12 - 15 point scorers. I think this season will be something like this cause we are passing the ball really well as compared to previous years.

Oh btw, TD hasnt reached 20 points in the past 2 games and it has like never happened so doesnt that mean that we will lose? Hardly cause everyone can step up on any given night. Dont think we will have many nights when everyone is ice cold.
thank you

boutons
12-20-2004, 10:20 PM
"Dont think we will have many nights when everyone is ice cold."

how soon it's forgotten:

04 playoffs,
Spurs vs LAL:

47% vs 38% W
52% vs 51% W

and then "everyone is ice cold":

34% vs 57% L
41% vs 50% L
38% vs 43% L
30% vs 44% L

Spurs regular season: 44%

1Parker1
12-20-2004, 10:28 PM
"He needs to be a stronger playmaker but has never averaged 6 assists,"

RobinsontoDuncan, the reason Tony has never averaged more then 6 assists per season, is because of the way our offense is set up, not because he can't do it. Our team isn't made up of hard-core, natural shooters like other teams--aka Phoenix or Seattle. Therefore, he isn't always going to get those high assists numbers. And if you look back on the games where he DID get high assists, you'll notice we have a high % of field goals for those nights--which doesn't always happen and come easily with the Spurs. You can't get many assists when your #1 option is throw the ball to Timmy.

SequSpur
12-21-2004, 12:12 AM
Spurs haven't done anything to improve over last year's second round exit.

NOTHING.

They should've unloaded Manu and change for Vince Carter. They would be undefeated.

Dalamar_the_Dark
12-21-2004, 03:06 AM
"Dont think we will have many nights when everyone is ice cold."

how soon it's forgotten:

04 playoffs,
Spurs vs LAL:

47% vs 38% W
52% vs 51% W

and then "everyone is ice cold":

34% vs 57% L
41% vs 50% L
38% vs 43% L
30% vs 44% L

Spurs regular season: 44%

numbers dont tell you shit. you can easily shoot poorly and your opponents can shoot 60% for all I care but at the end of the day other things factor into the final result. Free throws taken and made. Turnovers made and forced. Rebounding on both ends. This to me are the 3 things that are most important every single game.

WHY?
You get to the line - your opponents are in foul trouble.
You make your FTs - you stop the clock
You limit turnovers - you have more possesions and shots
You force turnovers - your opponents have less possesions and shots
You rebound defensively - your opponents dont have second chance points
You rebound offensively - you get second chance points

These are all easily said and done. but if any team can do this night in and night out. I can tell you that there is a contender straight away.

you dont need to shoot well every night to win. you need to do the little things right. a rebound here 2 FTs made there a steal here a good pass there. and it will go a long way.

So dont rely solely on numbers.

boutons
12-21-2004, 04:46 AM
"you can easily shoot poorly and your opponents can shoot 60% "

... and you lose, 99+% of the time, look it up. The Spurs' entire team shooting collapsed to 1) way below the Spurs' season avg 44% (one "shooter" like SJax or Kerr wouldn't have made any diff) and 2) below the Lakers in all 4 losses.

"rely solely on numbers"

I watched the games, I know the results, I don't rely on numbers. Then I go look at the numbers, and goddayum, the numbers tell me the same fucking story the video did. Had the Spurs shot 44% in those 4 games like they did all season, Spurs go to WC Finals.

Now YOU, dumbshit, go look up the current team stats for SA, PHX, SEA and see how the top 3 WC contenders are statistical leaders or near-leaders in one or more key categories that reflects perfectly their contender status.

The exception when a 8th seed and low-stats team wins the NBA is the exception that proves the rule.

STFU with your boring, mindless one-note song about "numbers dont tell you shit".

xcoriate
12-21-2004, 06:17 AM
Owned!!!

Drachen
12-21-2004, 02:06 PM
what does tp being from france have to do with anything?

I think that what he is trying to imply is that Tony should "surrender" his shot attempts to Manu.

wildbill2u
12-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Aaarrgh! Go to whichever one is hot--and pray that one of them is--because neither one is going to go down in the Spur record books as one of our premier shooters.

Spurminator
12-21-2004, 02:19 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have called a press conference to announce that Tony Parker has been awarded the highly coveted (and official) title of Spurs' Second Option. The Spurs coaching staff have entered into an agreement with Parker to meet a certain quota of plays run specifically for Parker in each game - not to exceed plays run for Spurs First Option Tim Duncan.

The title was hotly contested between Parker and Spurs shooting guard Emanuel Ginobili, but Ginobili will now have to settle for 3rd-most shots each game.

Ginobili's representatives declined to comment.

IceColdBrewski
12-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Manu

Jimcs50
12-21-2004, 04:52 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have called a press conference to announce that Tony Parker has been awarded the highly coveted (and official) title of Spurs' Second Option. The Spurs coaching staff have entered into an agreement with Parker to meet a certain quota of plays run specifically for Parker in each game - not to exceed plays run for Spurs First Option Tim Duncan.

The title was hotly contested between Parker and Spurs shooting guard Emanuel Ginobili, but Ginobili will now have to settle for 3rd-most shots each game.

We are fucked now.

:lol

Athenea
12-21-2004, 05:44 PM

Ginobili's representatives declined to comment :makemyday .
:lmao :lmao :lmao

RobinsontoDuncan
12-21-2004, 06:23 PM

i think spurminator was the only person to get this wasnt really a hard line thread, i was joking around..... Dalamar_the_Dark whatever the fuck your stupid name is, you havent been here very long so STFU telling me this is a stupid thread, your a dumbass, hey lets go to the line a lot with our bad shooting perecentage and win

you dumbshit if we aren hitting shots on the floor what makes you think the SPURS are going to make free throws?

Next offensive rebounds..... obviously if we are shooting 38% we arent getting good position down low and need to hit open mid range shots.... yeah

um, damn you should really think before you speak, it cuts down on those horrible foot in mouth, wow i was a dumbass comments you'll regrett later....stupid thread...your just plain stupid

Next:

Spurs haven't done anything to improve over last year's second round exit.

NOTHING.

They should've unloaded Manu and change for Vince Carter. They would be undefeated

When i brought up this exact trade scenario in the pre-season you told me i was on crack, now he is injured, having the worst season in his career's histroy, and has tried to throw games, and now you want him? How stupid are you, you short and apparently bi-polar man?

RobinsontoDuncan, the reason Tony has never averaged more then 6 assists per season, is because of the way our offense is set up, not because he can't do it. Our team isn't made up of hard-core, natural shooters like other teams--aka Phoenix or Seattle. Therefore, he isn't always going to get those high assists numbers. And if you look back on the games where he DID get high assists, you'll notice we have a high % of field goals for those nights--which doesn't always happen and come easily with the Spurs. You can't get many assists when your #1 option is throw the ball to Timmy.

Steve Nash was on one of those shooting teams, then moved to a run and gun, down-low power team and is averaging career high assists. Just a thought

Rick Von Braun
12-21-2004, 06:53 PM
I think it is pretty clear that Tony is the 2nd option. He plays more minutes/g (33.0 min vs 29.2 min), shoots more (12.08 FGA/g vs 9.84 FGA/g) and in general he has the ball in his hands more time on the court.

pjjrfan
12-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Who cares. As long as the Spurs have a W at the end of the game. I love both these guys, they are young, exciting, and talented. And they will get better as the season goes along. I wouldn't change anything in Manu's game, I think the guy is just a winner period. If he is not scoring he is finding other ways to help the team even his mistakes come from his drive to win. Now Tony on the other hand, I expect him to become a more compete player especially from the PG position. If he can get back to the level of play he showed last march when he helped lead the Spurs to a great month and a sweep of the Grizzlies, this team will be tough to beat, no matter who we play. He is not there yet, he needs to have that type of control of the offense that he did last march for the Spurs to win. So I don't know if I want to have Tony as the 2nd scoring option, but I know I want Tony to be the 2nd best player after Tim on the court for the Spurs to win a title.

ALVAREZ6
12-21-2004, 08:20 PM
I think it is pretty clear that Tony is the 2nd option. He plays more minutes/g (33.0 min vs 29.2 min), shoots more (12.08 FGA/g vs 9.84 FGA/g) and in general he has the ball in his hands more time on the court.
HES the PG

Drachen
12-22-2004, 10:19 AM
i think spurminator was the only person to get this wasnt really a hard line thread, i was joking around..... Drachen whatever the fuck your stupid name is, you havent been here very long so STFU telling me this is a stupid thread, your a dumbass, hey lets go to the line a lot with our bad shooting perecentage and win

you dumbshit if we aren hitting shots on the floor what makes you think the SPURS are going to make free throws?

Next offensive rebounds..... obviously if we are shooting 38% we arent getting good position down load and need to hit open mid range shots.... yeah

um, damn you should really think before you speak, it cuts down on those horrible foot in mouth, wow i was a dumbass comments you'll regrett later....stupid thread...your just plain stupid

Riiiiiiight, I really think you just directed your comments at the wrong person. I made no such comments about free throws, etc. I only made a tounge-in-cheek comment about the french surrendering because someone asked "what does tony being french have to do with anything." So the, maybe you should read, then think before you speak.

Next:

When i brought up this exact trade scenario in the pre-season you told me i was on crack, now he is injured, having the worst season in his career's histroy, and has tried to throw games, and now you want him? How stupid are you, you short and apparently bi-polar man?

Steve Nash was on one of those shooting teams, then moved to a run and gun, down-low power team and is averaging career high assists. Just a thought

I never got in on these debates, so once again, I am pretty sure that you are directing your comments at the wrong person. Just for the record, I have always called VC half man-half the season, so I would be against such a trade. How do you know if I am short or not. Oh and Drachen = Dragon (german)

RobinsontoDuncan
12-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Drachen, my apologies on the mix up, i fixed it for the right guy, but for the other two quotes you have to look at the name in the quote where it says originally posted by, that should clear a few things up for you.

1Parker1
12-22-2004, 02:52 PM
"Steve Nash was on one of those shooting teams, then moved to a run and gun, down-low power team and is averaging career high assists. Just a thought"

???? I'm a little lost on this one. Steve Nash was on a team that was built on offense, not defense with Dallas, hence he got a lot of assists-- Now, he is on a team that has scoring players who are capable of making their shots. Whereas, with the Spurs, out of our starting five, your only serious scoring options are Manu and Timmy. Rasho and Bruce are not great shooters, hence tony will have limited assists.

Regardless, assists don't tell the whole story. Spurs move the ball around a lot, and even though Tony brings up the ball, he isn't always going to be the last one to hand it to the player who makes the shot.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-22-2004, 07:20 PM
ok, the thing is thoght that tony isnt going to play with one unit the entire game, during the course of a game Tony could get significant minutes playing with Devin Brown, Brent Barry, Malik Rose and even Beno Udridh (he could play the 2), to go with Manu and Tim.

What I meant is that Steve's new team isnt going for jumpers but dunks and lay-ups, the only real shooter in the line up next to nash is Joe Johnson, and because of that running, attack the rim style, he is averaging a career high in assists, the spurs area averaging the fith most assists in the league playing our style of basketball. Tony can feed Duncan and anyone else those percect low post passes that leave a guy wide open for a dunk.