PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Parker upbeat after brief debut

some_user86
10-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Spurs: Parker upbeat after brief debut

Web Posted: 10/22/2007 10:31 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer
Spurs guard Tony Parker declared his first game action of the preseason, brief as it was, a success.

In 16:47 of action against the Detroit Pistons in Saturday's game at the AT&T Center, Parker made 3 of 4 shots and had four rebounds and four assists.

"I felt great," Parker said. "I don't feel out of shape at all. I played a lot of basketball over the summer, so I thought it was a great idea to go back in the weight room and try to build a base for the season, so I felt great."

Parker, who played for the French national team in the protracted European championships in August and September, didn't practice with his teammates through the first two weeks of training camp, relegated to the weight room to work with strength and conditioning coach Mike Brungardt. He sat out the first three preseason games before his short stint on Saturday.

The final three games of the preseason should afford plenty of time for him to be primed for the regular-season opener on Oct. 30, Parker said. The fact that the three games are compressed into four days, including a road-to-home, back-to-back set, should benefit the Spurs, who have struggled with the second game of back-to-back sets the past few seasons.

Sox boosters: Forwards Matt Bonner and Bruce Bowen and guard Brent Barry all celebrated the Boston Red Sox's Game 7 victory over the Cleveland Indians in the American League championship series. Bonner, who grew up in New Hampshire, is a lifelong Red Sox fan. He already has friendly wagers with some teammates on the outcome of the World Series, in which the Sox will attempt to slow down the surging National League champion Colorado Rockies, winners of 21 of their past 22 games.

Bowen said it would be foolish to think the Red Sox won't win their second title in the past four World Series.

"Boston has been there before," Bowen said, "so even if they're down 3-1, don't count them out. That's what champions are made of."

Even Parker, who has attended exactly one Major League Baseball game, believes the Red Sox will be World Series champs.

"I watched Game 7 (of the ALCS) last night," Parker said. "I wouldn't say I'm a baseball fan. I'll say I'm more like a sports fan, so any time there is a big game, I will go. I just like to watch sports, so obviously Game 7, I know what that is, so that's why I watched the (Red Sox-Indians) game last night.

"I will watch (the World Series). Every time it's the finals, I watch. I don't have a prediction, but I think Boston is going to win, so I guess that is a prediction."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102307.SpursNotes.en.32ef011.html