PDA

View Full Version : Start With the Champs and Go From There:NBA.com's first Power Rankings for the season

duncan228
10-23-2007, 05:11 AM
http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

Start With the Champs and Go From There
By John Schuhmann

October 22, 2007 -- Here we are, just eight days away from the tip-off of the 2007-08 season. It's a perfect time to put together the first Power Rankings of the new basketball year, a projection of sorts of how things could go down over the next six months.
We're adding a statistical aspect to the rankings this year. No, we're not basing our rankings on stats. We're just providing you with offensive and defensive ratings for each team (in bold in the Breakdown section), based on points scored and allowed per 100 possessions, and their league rank. For more on the math, check out Kevin Pelton's excellent summary on SuperSonics.com. The numbers below are from last season.

The rankings themselves (at least these preseason rankings - the criteria will obviously change once the season gets underway) are based on last year's results, player movement, injuries, player development and more. And they're just one man's opinion, which you are free to disagree with.

Another new feature this year will be a further explanation of a particular team's ranking, which the author will provide in The Court Reporters blog. Here's this week's Power Rankings Protraction, with a further explanation of the theory behind the rankings and a deeper look at the Southeast Division.

If you've got beef with the rankings, feel free to comment in the blog, or drop us a line. And note that the rankings will be published every Monday this season.

High jumps of the summer: Boston (+22), Memphis (+11), Milwaukee (+10)
Free falls of the summer: L.A. Clippers (-13), L.A. Lakers (-8), Indiana (-6)

The top Five:
TEAM (LAST YR) 2006-07 BREAKDOWN
1 San Antonio (2) 58-24 Off: 113.0 (2), Def: 104.7 (5) -- If the champs stay healthy, then they're the favorites to repeat no matter what their regular season record is. Of course, it is an even year.

2 Dallas (1) 67-15 Off: 111.1 (4), Def: 101.5 (2) -- They probably won't roll through the regular season like they did last season, but even if they do, they'll be a big unknown come the playoffs.

3 Phoenix (3) 61-21 Off: 116.1 (1), Def: 107.7 (13) -- There's probably not a more motivated team in the Association right now, and with Amare expanding his game, many think this is their year.

4 Houston (5) 52-30 Off: 110.6 (6), Def: 105.3 (6) -- Luis Scola is the biggest addition to any team that won 50 or more last season. Health is always an issue of course, as is playoff pressure.

5 Detroit (4) 53-29 Off: 108.3 (14), Def: 101.6 (3) -- Rodney Stuckey may be the next biggest addition to a 50-plusser, and if you're to believe Rasheed Wallace, the Pistons never lost the East crown.

The Contenders:
TEAM (LAST YR) 2006-07 BREAKDOWN
6 Utah (8) 51-31 Off: 111.3 (3), Def: 109.1 (19) -- With Deron Williams only 23 years old, the Jazz should continue to grow, as long as the Andrei Kirilenko situation doesn't become a distraction.

7 Boston (29) 24-58 Off: 104.3 (28), Def: 108.9 (18) -- The preseason results have been positive and with seven of their first 11 at home, the new Big Three will have a chance to keep it that way come November.

8 Chicago (9) 49-33 Off: 106.7 (20), Def: 101.1 (1) -- The Bulls are still a young team and they're coming off their first playoff series victory since the Jordan era. A trip to the Finals is within reach.

9 Toronto (10) 47-35 Off: 109.4 (8), Def: 107.5 (12) -- Chris Bosh's health is the No. 1 concern, but it will be Andrea Bargnani's development that determines how the Raptors do this season.

10 Denver (6) 45-37 Off: 109.3 (9), Def: 107.0 (9) -- We're not sure Chucky Atkins is the answer at point guard, but with K-Mart back and Melo only getting better, the Nuggets should be right there with Utah in the Northwest.

11 Cleveland (7) 50-32 Off: 106.8 (19), Def: 103.0 (4) -- LeBron is LeBron of course, but it was the Cavs' defense that got them to the Finals. With two key components of that defense still not in uniform, it's hard not downgrade Cleveland.

12 New Jersey (12) 41-41 Off: 108.0 (15), Def: 107.8 (14) -- Nenad Krstic is back and the Nets' frontline is deeper than it has been in a while, but Jason Kidd's back issues are not a good sign.

13 Miami (11) 44-38 Off: 106.9 (18), Def: 106.3 (8) -- Speaking of injuries, the Heat probably top the MASH unit rankings, but if they can have the two important guys healthy when it counts, they're as dangerous as anybody in the East.

14 Washington (18) 41-41 Off: 111.1 (5), Def: 112.5 (28) -- Washington's Big Three is healthy and Gilbert will tell you that when they were healthy last year, they were at the top of the East. But in order to get back there, they need to start playing some defense.

15 Orlando (15) 40-42 Off: 106.3 (22), Def: 105.9 (7) -- With the addition of Rashard Lewis and with Dwight still developing, the Magic will be better. But are they Eastern Conference contenders?

16 New Orleans (17) 39-43 Off: 106.1 (23), Def: 108.4 (16) -- Despite all their injuries, the Hornets almost made it into the playoffs last season. We'll know if they're good once we know if they're healthy.

17 Golden State (13) 42-40 Off: 109.1 (10), Def: 108.9 (17) -- The perfect storm put them in the Conference Semifinals this past May. We're not sure things will be so perfect this year, especially with Jason Richardson now in Charlotte.

18 Milwaukee (28) 28-54 Off: 108.3 (13), Def: 113.6 (29) -- What's the injury-mention count at so far? Add one as we list the Bucks, who lost a total of 184 games from their starters last season. If healthy, yadda ... yadda ... yadda.

19 Memphis (30) 22-60 Off: 108.7 (11), Def: 114.3 (30) -- Here's our bold prediction of the year: The Grizzlies will win 40 games this season.

20 Sacramento (23) 33-49 Off: 107.9 (16), Def: 109.6 (21) -- The potential is there for the Kings to be a good team. It may all depend on the attitudes of Mike Bibby and Ron Artest.

21 Philadelphia (19) 35-47 Off: 105.2 (26), Def: 108.3 (15) -- We like the direction the team is heading, and they should be in the playoff picture, but this probably isn't the year they make it back to the postseason.

22 L.A. Lakers (14) 42-40 Off: 110.0 (7), Def: 110.5 (24) -- The Kobe issue has the franchise on edge and the team possibly looking at a big step backward in the win column.

23 Atlanta (27) 30-52 Off: 104.3 (29), Def: 109.8 (23) -- With the two lottery picks and a still-developing core, things are looking up in Atlanta. Al Horford could be a serious challenger to Kevin Durant for Rookie of the Year.

24 New York (21) 33-49 Off: 107.0 (17), Def: 110.7 (25) -- Until they show us they can play defense, we're going to continue to have our doubts about the Knicks. They may be better than last season, but so is the rest of the conference.

25 Charlotte (22) 33-49 Off: 104.9 (27), Def: 109.2 (20) -- The Bobcats have improved every year in the league and they've got the assets to make another jump, but we've to to see it to believe it this time around.

26 Indiana (20) 35-47 Off: 104.2 (30), Def: 107.3 (11) -- After a rumor-filled summer, Jermaine O'Neal is still a Pacer, but Jim O'Brien may have to turn things around quickly to avoid rebuilding in Indiana.

27 Portland (24) 32-50 Off: 105.9 (24), Def: 111.8 (26) -- Even after Greg Oden's surgery, this author wrote that the Blazers would win at least 33 games this year (one more than last season) on the white board here at NBA.com HQ (where predictions are made regularly). But with preseason injuries to Roy and Aldridge, we're looking for the eraser.

28 Minnesota (26) 32-50 Off: 105.3 (25), Def: 109.7 (22) -- The T-Wolves aren't that young. They've vets Juwan Howard, Ricky Davis and Theo Ratliff in the rotation. And Al Jefferson does have three years of NBA experience under his belt.

29 L.A. Clippers (16) 40-42 Off: 106.7 (21), Def: 107.1 (10) -- With Elton Brand and Shaun Livingston out long term, the '07-08 outlook is bleak in Clipperland. The silver lining is a chance for Al Thornton to develop quickly.

30 Seattle (25) 31-51 Off: 108.5 (12), Def: 112.0 (27) -- Like the Blazers and T-Wolves, the Sonics are on the five-year plan. They will certainly go through their growing pains, but Durant and Green could be one of the best tandems in the league down the road.

duncan228
10-23-2007, 06:42 AM
why is seattle that far below portland?

I asked myself the same question.
I have no idea but I disagree with it.

BeerIsGood!
10-23-2007, 06:52 AM
What are these, a championship probablity ranking? If so, Dallas goes below the Suns and maybe even Houston since they have shown a propensity for blowing it like no other team around.

BeerIsGood!
10-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Yeah, this list is complete shit. Houston too high, Cavs too low, and a lot of jumbled up bullshit. I know we like to post these stupid things for whatever reason, but you might as well just call a telephone psychic or go to a fortune teller to get information this bad.

Bruno
10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Raptors ahead Nuggets and Nets. :rolleyes

Shank
10-23-2007, 11:07 AM
What are these, a championship probablity ranking? If so, Dallas goes below the Suns and maybe even Houston since they have shown a propensity for blowing it like no other team around.

Since when have power rankings - nothing more than fun 'who's the best team right now?' fodder - ever been a championship probability ranking (like that even makes sense in itself)? You want the probability of a team winning it tall? The Vegas odds are the closest you'll get.

But I get it. You just wanted to dig on the Mavs once again. Please bring something new to the table and don't act like the Spurs are going to run roughshod over every team in the league while the poor little Mavs are just going to crumble every game.

By the way, why would you bring up the Suns and Houston being above the Mavs if we're talking about teams 'blowing it'?

SenorSpur
10-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, this list is complete shit. Houston too high, Cavs too low, and a lot of jumbled up bullshit. I know we like to post these stupid things for whatever reason, but you might as well just call a telephone psychic or go to a fortune teller to get information this bad.

I think everyone who is propping up Houston should do so with caution. A team that has yet to win a 1st round playoff series on suddenly going to ascend to the conference finals (according to ESPN's Hollinger, anway)? I don't think so. The class of the Western Conference is still SA, DAL and PHO.

1Parker1
10-23-2007, 11:31 AM
How is Houston a Top 5 team when they have yet to get out of the 1st round? Replace Houston with Chicago and that may work better.

Cavs have gotten worse this offseason seeing as how they didn't even resigned their "key" players yet.

angel_luv
10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Raptors ahead Nuggets and Nets.

That's right! Watch out for my Raps! :)

Cry Havoc
10-23-2007, 11:42 AM

I think Houston would beat the Cavs in 5 in a 7 game set right now.

Rummpd
10-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't get the Amare expanding his game, last year in the playoffs the Spurs controlled him far better than they did two years ago and he is still a weak defender. Great player but with flaws.

SenorSpur
10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't get the Amare expanding his game, last year in the playoffs the Spurs controlled him far better than they did two years ago and he is still a weak defender. Great player but with flaws.

The expanded part of Amare's game is his supposed new 3-pt shooting range. How idiotic is that? Your best big man standing out on the perimeter hoisting 3-pt shots for even one possession is counterproductive. However, it's typical D'Antoni.

I hope Amare shoots 200+ 3's this year. That will play directly into the hands of a good defensive team like the Spurs, who defend the 3pt line better than any team in the league.

timmy21_4rings
10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
normal bs

duncan228
10-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Power Rankings have never been for anything other than debate.
They'll be posted by NBA.com, ESPN.com, and whoever else does them all season. Weekly!
We all know that, we all debate it every season, all season.
It was time to let the fun and games officially begin.
We're a week away from Tip-Off! :toast

sprrs
10-23-2007, 02:01 PM

People once said the same thing about the Spurs. People should stop acting like Dallas is no longer a major roadblock towards the championship because it could come back to haunt them later.

Xylus
10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
The expanded part of Amare's game is his supposed new 3-pt shooting range. How idiotic is that? Your best big man standing out on the perimeter hoisting 3-pt shots for even one possession is counterproductive. However, it's typical D'Antoni.

I hope Amare shoots 200+ 3's this year. That will play directly into the hands of a good defensive team like the Spurs, who defend the 3pt line better than any team in the league.
I believe it's based on reports from the Arizona media that Amare has been trying to improve his ball-handling, strengthen his defense, and add that 3-point shot in case he needs it.

Amare probably won't shoot more than 50 three-pointers this year. I don't see how you can criticize a player for having that kind of range--to be able to score at will in the paint, or shoot the 3-ball accurately. It will open up the floor, force his defender to step out a little farther than he's probably comfortable with. If he shoots a good enough percentage, the defender will be forced to get up close. This clears the paint, making it easier for the team to score.

There's no coach stupid enough to ask Amare to shoot 3-pointers against the Spurs all series long. Even we know that, and we're a couple of fans.

SenorSpur
10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
People once said the same thing about the Spurs. People should stop acting like Dallas is no longer a major roadblock towards the championship because it could come back to haunt them later.

Just because Dallas has "flamed out" in their last two playoff appearances, I dare say there is no team out there better equipped to cause the Spurs problems than the Mavs. Are we forgetting what happened in the 2006 WCSF series?

Playoff basketball is always about matchups. Mavs matchup well with the Spurs, but not with PHX. PHX matches up well with Mavs, but not with Spurs. The Mavs should be more of a headache to the Spurs than the Suns. Meanwhile, the Spurs cause matchup problems for the Suns because of their deliberate style.

Xylus
10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Just because Dallas has "flamed out" in their last two playoff appearances, I dare say there is no team out there better equipped to cause the Spurs problems than the Mavs. Are we forgetting what happened in the 2006 WCSF series?

Playoff basketball is always about matchups. Mavs matchup well with the Spurs, but not with PHX. PHX matches up well with Mavs, but not with Spurs. The Mavs should be more of a headache to the Sprus than the Suns.
Agreed, on all points.

SenorSpur
10-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I believe it's based on reports from the Arizona media that Amare has been trying to improve his ball-handling, strengthen his defense, and add that 3-point shot in case he needs it.

Amare probably won't shoot more than 50 three-pointers this year. I don't see how you can criticize a player for having that kind of range--to be able to score at will in the paint, or shoot the 3-ball accurately. It will open up the floor, force his defender to step out a little farther than he's probably comfortable with. If he shoots a good enough percentage, the defender will be forced to get up close. This clears the paint, making it easier for the team to score.

There's no coach stupid enough to ask Amare to shoot 3-pointers against the Spurs all series long. Even we know that, and we're a couple of fans.

Developing his ball-handling and shooting range is expected and should be commended. However his range should be extended to about 15-18ft. Amare's greatest asset to his team is defense, rebounding, and scoring. However, I don't see him as effective playing that far out on the perimeter. However, if he wants to be Mehmet Okur, be my guest.

Xylus
10-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Mehmet Okur took 336 three-pointers last year... I don't see Amare taking even a 1/4 of that volume.

td4mvp21
10-23-2007, 03:36 PM
But I get it. You just wanted to dig on the Mavs once again. Please bring something new to the table and don't act like the Spurs are going to run roughshod over every team in the league while the poor little Mavs are just going to crumble every game.

Oh shut up, you're just being bitchy. They crumble in the big games anyway, so his thinking isn't too irrational.

SenorSpur
10-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Mehmet Okur took 336 three-pointers last year... I don't see Amare taking even a 1/4 of that volume.

I know - just being overly dramatic :lol

Shank
10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Oh shut up, you're just being bitchy. They crumble in the big games anyway, so his thinking isn't too irrational.

Yeah, they crumble in EVERY big game. They've never managed to win a game 7.

Same old shit. Like I said - come with something new.