PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter tipping off plays?

sickdsm
12-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, i've been gone a bit.

"Two days before Toronto Raptors general manager Rob Babcock traded Vince Carter to the New Jersey Nets, he was informed that Carter may have tried to sabotage his team in a game a month ago. Whether that information led to Carter being traded Friday for Alonzo Mourning, two other players and two draft picks is unclear. But after being part of trade talks for more than a month, Carter was dealt less than 48 hours after Babcock was interviewed for a story about Carter’s actions Nov. 19." Tacoma News Tribune

"Three members of the Seattle SuperSonics say they believe Carter intentionally tipped off a play during the final minute of the Raptors’ 101-94 loss to the Sonics in Toronto." Tacoma News Tribune

"With 29 seconds remaining in that game and the Sonics leading 97-90, the Raptors called a timeout. After returning to the court, Carter lined up along the edge of the key. He was facing the Sonics’ bench with his hands on his knees. According to a member of the Sonics, before the play began, Carter said directly to the Seattle bench, “It’s a flare. It’s a flare.” Two other members of the Sonics confirmed that Carter told the Sonics bench that the Raptors were running the flare play. The Raptors, inbounding the ball above the Sonics bench, then ran a flare play for Carter." Tacoma News Tribune

"According to one member of the Sonics, the bench reacted immediately to what Carter said, with Sonics players saying, “Did you hear that? Did you see that? That’s (expletive) up.” Another member of the Sonics said he discussed the play with a coach after the game, and the coach said, “If you ever do that, I’ll run you out of the league.”" Tacoma News Tribune

E20
12-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Oh yeah I heard this on ESPN yesterday. If this is really true then Carter is stupider than I thought. OMG another reason to hate him even more.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2004, 03:04 PM
D'oh! (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7971)

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Wow, Carter is a jackass.

It was only obvious that he didn't want to be a Raptor, and that he didn't give two shits about them.

angel_luv
12-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Why would anyone purposefully hurt their team? That is a rhetorical question- no need to answer. But seriously, I hope the rumor is untrue. I have never been a huge Carter fan , but I never imagined him to be a back stabbing scum bag. For shame!

Medvedenko
12-20-2004, 04:20 PM
I call bullshit.....
however if this was Kobe....CNN would be doing a cover story.

maxpower
12-20-2004, 04:22 PM
whether he did it or not..it's on enough media now to warrant some distinction. Either way ..screw him.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2004, 04:25 PM
I call bullshit.....
however if this was Kobe....CNN would be doing a cover story.

Yeah - 'cause Kobe Bryant is a more newsworthy person than VC. You know, with his whole love of hotel workers and purple rings.

Man, you're such a whiny bitch, I swear.

You're worse than TPark when he'd change a thread on people's favorite sandwiches into a John Kerry blast.

I'm going to make a thread sometime about the Mavericks signing "The Professor" from the And1 Mixtape Tour to a ten-day contract and you'll find some damn way to whine about Kobe getting too much media attention.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2004, 04:30 PM
There's not even a tie-in whatsoever to the article to the Lakers, Slava, Kobe, Karl Malone...nothing - and YOU find a way to turn this into "Wah, Wah, Kobe".

The closest thing I could find is that the Lakers were in the same division as the Sonics last season.

sickdsm
12-20-2004, 06:23 PM
But other articles point out that this is conventiantly happaning after VC is traded but these say that this was brought to everyone's attention TWO DAYS before the deal happaned.

I guess VC doesn't really give us a reason to believe he wouldn't pull crap like this.

KEDA
12-20-2004, 07:00 PM
There's not even a tie-in whatsoever to the article to the Lakers, Slava, Kobe, Karl Malone...nothing - and YOU find a way to turn this into "Wah, Wah, Kobe".

The closest thing I could find is that the Lakers were in the same division as the Sonics last season.

thats good enough for me :rolleyes

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2004, 07:37 PM
thats good enough for me :rolleyes

BTW, how's the mullet coming?

SequSpur
12-20-2004, 07:48 PM
NBA Forum

Heresy

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Heresy

Vince Carter is a religious doctrine?

KEDA
12-20-2004, 07:56 PM
BTW, how's the mullet coming?

good, havent got a haircut since the last GTG

mabye if Im realllllll nice Santa will bring me one!!!

spursfaninla
12-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Arrogant bastard; I'm going to tell you what I'm going to do, then do it.

Actually,

I think Bird and MJ would do something similar to their opponent, so whats so different about doing it to the bench?

The bench doesn't have time to react appropriately, so he thought he was just messing with their heads.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2004, 08:25 PM
If VC is more concerned with how he looks instead of what's best for his team, thenhe deserves everything he gets.

If VC's trying to be a Jordan or Bird telling you what's going to happen and do your best to stop it, he's more delusional than I give him credit for.

Oh, and the media's biased against Kobe.

Useruser666
12-20-2004, 08:26 PM
NBA Forum

Heresy

Hershey?

SequSpur
12-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Here we are
In a world of corruption
Human nature is
Of violent Breed
Who cares if there;s no tomorrow
When I die for my future's
Laid out for me
Can't you see?
Rise above the lies
Morals on a backwards globe
A sin to you
For me it's hope.

It's my life and provision
Black or white
Some pay to pray
You question why they
Act this way
It's their fucking decision

No more judgement day
Only tranquility
Peace signs, protest lines
Mean nothing to me

Honesty born in me
Heresy

I know what's right or wrong
And my belief is stronger
Than your advice
People, they go to war
Because religion gives them
Reason to fight
Sacrifice, die for pride
A group that caters
No one's fees
Or synthetic deities
Is where I belong
My stand is the human race
Without a label or a face
So they can lick my sack

No more judgement day
Only tranquility
Peace signs, protest lines
Mean nothing to me

Honesty born in me
Heresy

E20
12-20-2004, 10:54 PM
How about we trade Duncan for Scalabrine.

C Rasho
PF Scalabrine

The consequences would be devastating.

Solid D
12-21-2004, 02:42 AM
Playing devil's advocate role here:

(I am not trying to take up for Carter) It could have been a ploy to decoy and set up a score for his teammate, Bonner or someone else... a la a baseball catcher telling the batter a fastball is coming so that he doesn't sit on the curve.

The Raptors may have called for a flare screen to be set for Vince and as he drew extra attention to him going away from the screen, Carter would then pass to the open guy...Bonner in this case. It resulted in 2 points, even though the Raps ultimately lost the game. The play resulted in points.

Here is the play-by-play description of that sequence on NBA.com

http://scores.nba.com/games/20041119/SEATOR/PlayByPlayPrint.html

0:29) [TOR] Team Timeout: Regular
(0:25) [TOR 92-97] Bonner Jump Shot: Made (12 PTS) Assist: Carter (5 AST)

Hey! It could happen right? :hat

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-21-2004, 02:55 AM
Playing devil's advocate role here:

(I am not trying to take up for Carter) It could have been a ploy to decoy and set up a score for his teammate, Bonner or someone else... a la a baseball catcher telling the batter a fastball is coming so that he doesn't sit on the curve.

The Raptors may have called for a flare screen to be set for Vince and as he drew extra attention to him going away from the screen, Carter would then pass to the open guy...Bonner in this case. It resulted in 2 points, even though the Raps ultimately lost the game. The play resulted in points.

Here is the play-by-play description of that sequence on NBA.com

http://scores.nba.com/games/20041119/SEATOR/PlayByPlayPrint.html

0:29) [TOR] Team Timeout: Regular
(0:25) [TOR 92-97] Bonner Jump Shot: Made (12 PTS) Assist: Carter (5 AST)

Hey! It could happen right? :hat

I could very well believe that if the player in question wasn't...

A. Attempting to be traded.
B. Known as a better teammate.
C. Proven to care more about the team than himself.

Solid D
12-21-2004, 03:07 AM
Very true, Johnny. Sad, but true.

SequSpur
12-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Spurs should have made a deal for Carter. Carter is better than any one or any combination not named Tim Duncan on the Spurs.

Spurs miss out on a trade again.

exstatic
12-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Carter is better than any one or any combination not named Tim Duncan on the Spurs.

I would take one Manu over 3 Carters. Carter is nothing but a big whiney bitch. He is almost unmotivatable, the opposite of Manu, who needs to have his minutes monitored because he goes balls to the walll every second. Don't believe the hype. Charels B hit the nail on the head" "Half man, half a season".

RobinsontoDuncan
12-21-2004, 08:00 PM
I would take one Manu over 3 Carters. Carter is nothing but a big whiney bitch. He is almost unmotivatable, the opposite of Manu, who needs to have his minutes monitored because he goes balls to the walll every second. Don't believe the hype. Charels B hit the nail on the head" "Half man, half a season".

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

SequSpur
12-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Manu = Carter's jockstrap.

ALVAREZ6
12-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Manu = Carter's jockstrap.
Sequ = Rasho's condom.

Solid D
12-21-2004, 09:05 PM
I would take one Manu over 3 Carters.

3 Carters = 1 Healthy Carter.

SequSpur
12-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Dude didn't want to play for Toronto.

Vince Carter is a frickin allstar, mvp type player.

Manu has wet dreams of being an allstar and probably will never be an allstar.

They aren't even in the same category.

Solid D
12-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Well, Vince at least has a degree to fall back on.

Solid D
12-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Manu is a complete player.
Vince is an inc m lete pl yer.

Solid D
12-21-2004, 09:33 PM
From CBSsportsline - NBA
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/players/playerpage/20595

Player News

The New York Daily News reports Vince Carter (Achilles) is eligible to come off the list for the Bobcats game on Tuesday, but will be cautious with his injury and take his time.
(Updated 12/20/2004).

Injury Report
Achilles' - I-L
(Updated - 12/10/04)

Fantasy Analysis
Continue keeping Carter on reserves. There have been no reports that he will be out for the season, so Carter should be productive when he returns within the next month or so.
(Updated 12/20/2004).

exstatic
12-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Carter
30.4 mins 15.9p 3.3r 3.1a 1.25st

Manu
29.2mins 14.6p 4.8r 4.6a 1.75st NO ATTITUDE

Vince Carter is a frickin allstar, mvp type player.
Maybe once, but not now, or ever again. He's averaging a Camby-esque 60 games played over the last 3 seasons. The metro NY media is going to eat him alive. He'll again be unhappy and forcing his way out of a bad situation. Boo Hoo.

boutons
12-21-2004, 09:50 PM
More Vinsanity on way

Carter promises best yet to come

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Vince Carter aims to bring to the Nets the same game that made him a star in Toronto.
CHARLOTTE - Vince Carter says he will show his critics he is not washed up, that he can still leap over defenders with ease and look like another famous 6-6 North Carolina guard again.

"I'm going to make a lot of people eat their words when it's time," the newest Net guard said of his critics after his first practice with the team yesterday. "Don't be my friend later. Keep it like it is. If you hate me now, hate me later. I don't mind. My job is to go out there and bring another aspect to New Jersey Nets basketball."

It just may take another week, though, before Carter makes his Nets debut. He is nursing a partially torn left Achilles and ruled out tonight's game against the Bobcats, but doesn't rule out tomorrow's home game against Cleveland.

"I'm going to make sure this injury heals as well as possible," said Carter, who has not played since Dec. 8. "After this, I plan on going the rest of the season. I will return to the court soon."

But will "Vinsanity" return with him? Judging by the fact that they accepted hard-nosed role players Eric Williams and Aaron Williams, two first-round picks and Alonzo Mourning - who likely will never play for them - the Raptors clearly think Carter's best days are behind him.

Carter, who is averaging a career-low 15.9 points this season, insists he is the same player who averaged a career-high 27.6 points in 2000-2001 and not the one who missed 70 games to injuries the following three seasons.

It was during that time that Carter's star dropped like a meteor. Several critics questioned Carter's toughness, desire and attitude. Fans got tired of seeing him in street clothes on the bench. Some were angered by the fact that Carter initially didn't want to surrender his All-Star starting spot to Michael Jordan in Jordan's final All-Star Game in 2003. Off the court, Carter's every move was dissected, including how his mother had her own parking spot at the arena.

"I could accept the criticism," said Carter, who never was able to get the Raptors past the second round. "Things did go bad (in Toronto). We tried to work it out. It didn't work."

A disenchanted Carter asked for a trade in the offseason and was hoping to land with the Knicks, where he saw "a great fit."

Instead, he finds new life across the Hudson. Like Jason Kidd, who was run out of Phoenix due to a domestic incident, Carter will try to resurrect his career with the Nets. At 27, the five-time All Star says he still has a lot of basketball left in him even if some believe he will never be the same player who left fans and peers breathless at the 2000 All-Star dunk contest.

With the Nets, Carter no longer has the enormous pressure of carrying a franchise and an entire country. The Nets feel that will work in their favor.

Carter's toughest task, though, may be keeping Kidd in a Nets uniform. Kidd, who wants to play for a title contender, said he and Richard Jefferson will hold their new teammate accountable.

"Accountable is being a big part of our success and being a big part of that you have to be a leader, accept that role," Kidd said of his 2000 Olympic teammate. "Hopefully that change of scenery brings new life, new goals and everything else. We all know that he's a gifted basketball player and he will have his day to prove everybody who's doubted him wrong."

Carter is thrilled to have that opportunity with the Nets.

"It was time for Vince Carter, the person, to be rejuvenated," Carter said of the trade. "There was so much stuff going on, so much talk, my body just needed a jolt."

Originally published on December 21, 2004

SequSpur
12-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Selected to NBA All-Star Game the past four season and has been voted as starter for the past three …

Scoreboard. Manu WILL NEVER make an allstar team. So please take foot out of ass and insert in mouth.

Give it up Ex. Manu will never be a Carter.

exstatic
12-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Selected to NBA All-Star Game the past four season and has been voted as starter for the past three …

No one ever said the fans were smart. You're proof of that, hanging onto 4 year old highlight films of a broken player.

Manu will never be a Carter.

If you mean the current Carter, then thank God. If you mean the former Carter, then neither will Carter.

ducks
12-21-2004, 11:05 PM
carter = pussy