PDA

View Full Version : NFL cutting draft time from 15 to 10 min.

sa_butta
10-23-2007, 12:48 PM
PHILADELPHIA -- The NFL on Tuesday cut from 15 minutes to 10 the time between picks in the first round of its draft after a 2007 record round of 6 hours and 8 minutes.

It also moved the starting time of the draft from noon ET to 3 p.m. and limited the first day to two rounds instead of three.

"We believe this will make for a more streamlined and efficient draft," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement issued during the league owners meetings.

The change also applied to the second round, which will go from 10 minutes to seven between choices for next year's draft, which will be held April 26-27 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

In recent years, teams have often used most of the 15 minutes in the first round, entertaining trade offers or making them.

The time between picks will stay at five minutes for the last five rounds, which will take place on Sunday. That session will start at 10 a.m. instead of 11. Both draft days will be televised by ESPN and the NFL Network.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3075663

midgetonadonkey
10-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Somehow the Patriots are responsible for this.

monosylab1k
10-23-2007, 01:15 PM
this is only cuz of TV. the NFL Draft is great to watch, but it takes too freakin long.

samikeyp
10-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Agreed.....good move.

Fillmoe
10-23-2007, 02:55 PM
bout fucking time... 15 minutes was way too long

J.T.
10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
The draft is only worth watching to laugh at stupid GMs who pass on guaranteed talent....and I'm not saying Brady Quinn would have made Miami 7-0 right now but when he's on the board and your QB is Cleo Lemon (and even if you have a deal for The Corpse of Trent Green in the works)... you just have to be a retard not to take that.

And to see who your team picks.

peewee's lovechild
10-23-2007, 03:09 PM
The draft is only worth watching to laugh at stupid GMs who pass on guaranteed talent....and I'm not saying Brady Quinn would have made Miami 7-0 right now but when he's on the board and your QB is Cleo Lemon (and even if you have a deal for The Corpse of Trent Green in the works)... you just have to be a retard not to take that.

Minnesota and Miami are both regretting their decision to pass on Quinn.

monosylab1k
10-23-2007, 03:11 PM
eh not so much minnesota. i think they're just fine with Adrian Peterson. what they're regretting is drafting Tavaris Jackson last year.

Fillmoe
10-23-2007, 03:22 PM
i guarantee you minny is not regretting passing on gaydy quinn. they got a beast in AD

T Park
10-23-2007, 03:57 PM
John beck will be fine in Miami.

I think they are regretting passing on some better offensive lineman though...

scott
10-23-2007, 07:22 PM
I bet a lot of teams are regretting passing on a sure-fire QB... too bad Brady Quinn isn't one of those (for the record, I think both he and JaMarcus will be busts of epic stature).

K-State Spur
10-23-2007, 08:45 PM

uh...have you seen what adrian peterson has done this year? doubt minnesota is feeling badly about that pick.

so far, we don't know that quinn is going to be any better than joey harrington was coming out of college.

nobody is regretting it...yet.

sa_butta
10-24-2007, 07:00 AM
uh...have you seen what adrian peterson has done this year? doubt minnesota is feeling badly about that pick.

so far, we don't know that quinn is going to be any better than joey harrington was coming out of college.

nobody is regretting it...yet.Agreed, at this point John Beck could be better than Quinn in the NFL. Neither has been proven yet. If Quinn was that great he would have won the starting job by now.

johnsmith
10-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Vikings are fucked, they can hardly make a pick in 15 minutes.

Thunder Dan
10-24-2007, 09:07 AM

Turned out good for the Browns. That first round pick the Cowboys have looks like it could be in the 17-26 range, mabye lower because the Browns have an easy schedule the rest of the way.